Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Awkwardness with pony merch

Pexaro

Hi! so you know what's awkward? That short time when you're waiting for a text reply and you're left with nothing to do... But more than that, when you're wearing an awesome piece of brony merchandise like this wristband http://img.hottopic....,0,0&iccEmbed=0 and then someone asks. "hey, what's a bra-ny?" I was about to reply but then he sees Rainbow Dash's mane and asks "IS THAT GAY PRIDE?!" now what I wanted to say was "NO! it just means that I'm 20% cooler than YOU!" But alll that came out was "Um... no... it's....my little pony" he then decides to reply "And you like that?" and usually I'd reply "HELL YEAH, It's awesome!!" but I was taking a summer course with this kid and I didn't want to be seen as even more of a loser so I replied "no..." after that he asked if it was some kind of joke, I told him it was and that was the end of it. So let me know, all my bronies out there if there's any way you deal with these things and how you get around them cuz honestly at school I get the assertiveness of this pony ---> :blush: so yeah, let me know cause I really want to be able to stand my ground and show that ponies can be manly. Thanks for reading!

• Brohoof 2

Awwwwwwwwww that sucks. :/

It's a lot harder for guys to be public about their love for MLP. I could walk around with my pony t-shirts and decorate my cubical with ponies and no one would give me funny looks, except maybe think that I'm too old for that stuff, but I'm used to that sort of reaction from just about everything, so whatever.

There was one time where my brony boyfriend was over with me at my parents' house, and we were watching MLP in the basement on Netflix. My dad came downstairs and was like, "You're making him watch this with you?" I was like, "Ummm, no not really," and my dad asked him, "You don't actually like this, do you?" or something like that, I can't remember. After my dad left, my boyfriend made it a rule that we're not to watch MLP together at my parents' house because they don't want them to judge him. Not really a merchandise moment, but Netflix is a product that we pay for, so I guess it counts?

There is another thing, though. I own the Equestria Girls t-shirt, and when I worked at a bread bakery, I wore that shirt from time to time. I kept getting asked if I was on the Equestrian team somewhere or if I rode horses. I just go, "No, it's from a cartoon..." because most people are judgmental about My Little Pony, so I only mention that it's MLP when they ask what cartoon it is.

• Brohoof 3

If I feel embarrassed I would over hype it to the point when they think I'm joking

Sounds like a good idea. Sometimes the best defense is to make the other person feel foolish for even remarking on it. LOL.
  • Brohoof 1

It's a lot harder for guys to be public about their love for MLP. I could walk around with my pony t-shirts and decorate my cubical with ponies and no one would give me funny looks, except maybe think that I'm too old for that stuff, but I'm used to that sort of reaction from just about everything, so whatever.

There was one time where my brony boyfriend was over with me at my parents' house, and we were watching MLP in the basement on Netflix. My dad came downstairs and was like, "You're making him watch this with you?" I was like, "Ummm, no not really," and my dad asked him, "You don't actually like this, do you?" or something like that, I can't remember. After my dad left, my boyfriend made it a rule that we're not to watch MLP together at my parents' house because they don't want them to judge him. Not really a merchandise moment, but Netflix is a product that we pay for, so I guess it counts?

There is another thing, though. I own the Equestria Girls t-shirt, and when I worked at a bread bakery, I wore that shirt from time to time. I kept getting asked if I was on the Equestrian team somewhere or if I rode horses. I just go, "No, it's from a cartoon..." because most people are judgmental about My Little Pony, so I only mention that it's MLP when they ask what cartoon it is.

Usually I'm ok with it like I wear my Derpy and Brony t shirts in public but I mean being that it was a summer course in school I felt a bit more embarrased. and thanks for the advice! :3

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like a good idea. Sometimes the best defense is to make the other person feel foolish for even remarking on it. LOL.

Works for me all the time (:

Although I'm trying to be more serious and straight forward about it but ehh

• Brohoof 1

I wear my brony buttons to work and i'm NEVER embarrassed to show em off to people. it also pisses off some of the haters, too, lol. :lol:

The only thing is that the band had a Rainbow on it XD and that's why it was awkward, but I should be more proud of being a brony XD
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I'm a girl, not a guy, so it's not quite as awkward for me as as it for some people, but I just say heck yeah I love my little pony! People give me weird looks and then I explain that it's a really great show with really good morals and stories. They usually just sortof nod and change the subject at that point, but I don't care!!

• Brohoof 1

Oh, here, I've got a good one.

It was right after Bronycon. I was walking around New York City with my giant WeLoveFine Rainbow Dash bag. My friend and I went to the Disney store, and one of the employees was like, "I looove your bag!! What's it from?" And I said, "It's from My Little Pony! I got it at Bronycon in New Jersey!"

And then it starts to go downhill.

"Oh, nooooo! No more My Little Pony! It's everywhere!"

My friend, who doesn't really like cartoons, agreed that having it be everywhere was annoying. She explained that the guys who like MLP are bronies and the girls are pegasisters. This made the Disney Store employee even more distressed.

I was like, "Have you even seen the show? It's not for everyone but there's a reason why people like it..."

Then she said, "No, you're not supposed to like ponies when you're not a child! These people need to grow up."

I found that to be a very, very ironic statement coming from someone who works at the freaking DISNEY Store. But it would have been unkind for me to say that, because obviously we were never going to come to any sort of agreement or compromise, but I didn't think of how ironic that was until about 10 minutes after that conversation. Ho boy, people sometimes...

• Brohoof 4

Usually I'm ok with it like I wear my Derpy and Brony t shirts in public but I mean being that it was a summer course in school I felt a bit more embarrased. and thanks for the advice! :3

Dude, this school year I'm gonna have a Crystal Rainbow Dash Keychain hanging out of my pocket and I'm gonna be wearing my wristband. If anyone asks or calls you gay, just say "So what? You're trying to determine my sexual orientation by looking at the shows I watch?" Just be smarter than them

(edited)

No awkwardness here. I stroll about boldly wearing what I want and would tell people exactly what it is if they ask, though none have asked me about it yet. When the latest line of pony toys hit McDonald's I walked in there and asked to buy one of each pony. The cashier acknowledged and brought back one of every Transformer they had. Cool as they were, they wouldn't suffice; I needed my ponies. Once again I clearly stated that I wanted one of each pony. She said, "Oh, the girl's toys!" I replied, "Yes, the ponies." She and her manager tracked down one of each, sold them to me, and I went about my business. No shame was felt.

During moments like that I channel my inner Worf. Maybe you should get in touch with yours too.

post-6104-0-60612800-1342493496_thumb.jpg

Then she said, "No, you're not supposed to like ponies when you're not a child! These people need to grow up."

I found that to be a very, very ironic statement coming from someone who works at the freaking DISNEY Store. But it would have been unkind for me to say that, because obviously we were never going to come to any sort of agreement or compromise, but I didn't think of how ironic that was until about 10 minutes after that conversation. Ho boy, people sometimes...

One of my favorite quotes to paraphrase in those situations:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

- C.S. Lewis

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 9

(edited)

I usually wear subtle things in public, like that shirt with a RD silhouette and 20% cooler on it. If I don't have time to explain, I say it's just from a TV show, usually Big Bang Theory.

Edited by Tupin86

Life's too uncool for you to let people try and tell you ponies aren't awesome. That goes for merch, too. I'm getting two shirts and a Dash plush and I don't give a damn what anyone will think :3

• Brohoof 1

Oh, here, I've got a good one.

It was right after Bronycon. I was walking around New York City with my giant WeLoveFine Rainbow Dash bag. My friend and I went to the Disney store, and one of the employees was like, "I looove your bag!! What's it from?" And I said, "It's from My Little Pony! I got it at Bronycon in New Jersey!"

And then it starts to go downhill.

"Oh, nooooo! No more My Little Pony! It's everywhere!"

My friend, who doesn't really like cartoons, agreed that having it be everywhere was annoying. She explained that the guys who like MLP are bronies and the girls are pegasisters. This made the Disney Store employee even more distressed.

I was like, "Have you even seen the show? It's not for everyone but there's a reason why people like it..."

That's so ironic coming from a disney store employee XDDD and actually I went to Hot Topic and bought a Fluttershy "yay" t-shirt and the cashier told my mom that he'd have to be bribed a million dollars to wear a shirt like that. But by the time I was done paying my mom and I convinced the cashier to watch an episode of the show :lol: we explained that it wasn't all that girly and it was a genuinely fun show to watch ;)

Dude, this school year I'm gonna have a Crystal Rainbow Dash Keychain hanging out of my pocket and I'm gonna be wearing my wristband. If anyone asks or calls you gay, just say "So what? You're trying to determine my sexual orientation by looking at the shows I watch?" Just be smarter than them

yeah true and that's AWESOME MAN! I hope to have one of the WeLoveFine (Derpy,Fluttershy,or Luna) key chains on my backpack for the school year :)

So let me know, all my bronies out there if there's any way you deal with these things and how you get around them cuz honestly at school I get the assertiveness of this pony.

Just answer truthfully with confidence. If he insults you just question his man hood and sexual preferences. It's easy.

I wear my pins to school (on my lanyard) and a wrist band that says "Brony" on it and has RD on it. One kid asked why I had MLP pins? It got nasty after that.

I think it's only harder for guys to be public about it depending on their local community and how secure they are with being judged. A few of the guys at my local nerd hub bust my chops about it when I wear my MLP shirts, but I could give two eeyups about it.

I must admit as a guy and being in the military its tough to show pride without feeling shy about it. Its just not the social accepted standard, not that I really go for those, but its really uncomfortable to have people talking about you. Its especially bad when they openly confront you. I just ordered three MLP shirts, and I thought to myself on every design.

Would I be comfortable wearing this?

• Brohoof 2

-snip-

Apparently that EVERYONE'S favorite quote. We really need a new one...

I feel that they can't pass judgement that isn't biased and with no weight if they refuse to listen to logic.

Pony Merch? I don't own any. QQ

I must admit as a guy and being in the military its tough to show pride without feeling shy about it. Its just not the social accepted standard, not that I really go for those, but its really uncomfortable to have people talking about you. Its especially bad when they openly confront you. I just ordered three MLP shirts, and I thought to myself on every design.

Would I be comfortable wearing this?

Me too! About being in the military part. I have yet to order any pony merch as of yet, but I do see myself ordering a 20% cooler tee eventually. One thing I have learned about people and their perception of you liking MLP is how you convey it to them. It's all in how confident you are about it.

I was caught watching the show during a break on one of our computers and when they asked I just calmly said, "Yes, It's a good show, have you seen it?" That was the end of it, they didn't really poke any more fun, and I wasn't all over them trying to convince them to watch it! When dealing with people that are so afraid of accepting anything out of the normal accepted status quo in fear they might themselves be judged, you just have to be 20% cooler ;) My 0.02

• Brohoof 1

No awkwardness here. I stroll about boldly wearing what I want and would tell people exactly what it is if they ask, though none have asked me about it yet. When the latest line of pony toys hit McDonald's I walked in there and asked to buy one of each pony. The cashier acknowledged and brought back one of every Transformer they had. Cool as they were, they wouldn't suffice; I needed my ponies. Once again I clearly stated that I wanted one of each pony. She said, "Oh, the girl's toys!" I replied, "Yes, the ponies." She and her manager tracked down one of each, sold them to me, and I went about my business. No shame was felt.

During moments like that I channel my inner Worf. Maybe you should get in touch with yours too.

post-6104-0-60612800-1342493496_thumb.jpg

One must always channel their inner Worf when confronting the naysayers (as opposed to the "neigh" sayers, which I suppose would be the ponies). Worf is a badass, and he doesn't take any smeg from anybody!

I'm a pretty open person, though, so I have no problem telling people about my love of ponies. If they don't like it, oh well. If they don't like me, that sucks for them, because I'm a pretty cool dude. Their loss.