Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are There So Many Pegasi OCs?

Brook

(edited)

A lot of people want to flllllllyyyyyy.

Posted Image

I prefer unicorns. Pegasi are nice, but unicorns get stuff done. My character (I refuse to use the term "OC. I can't stand it) is a unicorn.

Edited by Tam

I don't have an OC, but I can see why people make theirs pegasi because pegasi are awesome. They can fly, control weather, and some of the most popular characters are pegasi (Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Derpy). I hate it when people make their OCs alicorns because only special important people (Faust) can be alicorns, it makes more sense that way. We can't have a million alicorns flying around, they're supposed to be rare and exceptionally powerful!

• Brohoof 1

Flying is fun. Sadly for humans, flying is either an expensive hobby or a grueling job.

I think the Pegasus is popular because it represents the freedom to say "buck you, I'll do what I want!" with effortless abandon.

Still, nobody said it better than Da Vinci: "for once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will long to return."

My Pony is a pegasus, but when I was creating her I thought very hard over several days over how she would look, what her colors would be, what her name would be, her cutie mark and what species. In the end it was a toss up between Pegasus and Unicorn. I finally chose Pegasus becuase it just seemed to suit her better.

I hate it when people make Alicorns because they are Mary Sues, only Princesses and Gods are meant to be alicorns. I admit I have drawn Phantom Nightmare as one, but only for fun. :3 Never have I considered making an Alicorn character. It just doesn't feel right. I feel there should be respect for the Alicorns in the show, and that one must not just think that Alicorns can be as common as dirt. Its insulting...well to me at least.

I have also noticed the large amount of Pegasi, but my reasoning was not the generic, 'oh how I wish I could fly' reasoning, but because I thought very hard over every detail about Phantom.

so yes, I'm rambling, but there is my opinion

• Brohoof 1

I used to be a Pegasus before it was cool

/hipstershades

Na'h in all seriousness, never ever have I made an OC that's not a pegasus, I just think pegasus are more unique when it comes to their abilities, they can fly control weather they're just awshum :3

And well this is how most people look at it:

Alicorns = Immediate God-Mod

Unicorn = Pretty cool but me'h not all are as powerful as Twilight

Earth Pony = (I'm sorry Finest) I only like earth Ponies because of Pinkie o3o

Pegasus = Pure Badassomery

I made the backstory for my OC before the OC herself and since I really wanted to center her around the ponified version of the Detroit Red Wings (Cloudsdale Red Wings) my OC would need to be a pegasus to live in Cloudsdale.

But yeah I was thinking about this not that long ago actually. Most of my recent commissions were pegasi OCs since I kept having to a use a cloud.

From a roleplay standpoint, having wings means having mobility. Plenty of interesting RP sessions occur in Cloudsdale or other places that are largely inaccessible to anypony who isn't a Pegasus. For the sake of maximizing exposure and RP opportunities, I can see the appeal of giving your character wings.

As for the disproportionate number of Alicorns, it definitely stretches the suspension of disbelief. As characters, they are outliers. Ivory Towers. Mysteries, even. By cheapening their impact, extraneous Alicorns tend to chip away at the depth of the fauna in Equestria.

As Brandon Lee said in The Crow: "it can't rain all the damned time."

Well, I have two OCs. One of them is a pegasus. I chose her to be a pegasus because I had an idea about her career that would require her to be a pegasus ^_^ That's why I made mine a pegasus, though I think most people choose it because they choose what they would want themselves. That's why there are so many alicorns.

My other OC is an earth pony though, and I'm starting to like her better than my pegasus because her personality, as an earth pony, is more defined ^_^

Well from my understanding there are way too many alicorns and most people are like "WINGS *SQUEE* YEAH" when it comes to OCs. That's cool. Pegasi are pretty swag, but earth ponies and unicorns are too. But I don't like the idea of alicorn OCs either. I mean, just like everyone said they are supposed to be special. So my conclusion is this: there are alot of pegasi OCs because of the freedom and abillities they posses. Derpy, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are reasons too.

Pegasi are probably because they can do way more with the least amount of effort. Thinking about it, flying is probably easy, compared to magic which you have to work at in order to even get past levitation.

As for Earth ponies...You can make up as many theories as you want, but the truth is, we have no canon info on them.

Now, my ponysona is a unicorn. Why? Because I would be willing to try my hardest to learn magic. Mainly black magic spells, (As in fire, thunder, water, etc).

Like what was mentioned, I'm pretty sure alicorns dominate, not pegasi. But either way, one reason is probably because both of the main pegasi characters, Fluttershy and Dash, have a HUGE fan following among the Mane 6.

I'd prefer flying over magic anyday (even though you can use magic to fly xP). Being an alicorn is kinda cheap imo, it's like saying "Whats better to have? Magic, wings or both?" It's pretty obvious which everyone's going to choose xP But that's just me.

pegasai are cool, that is why <33333333 i love pegasus well i cant just say that since my OC is a pegacorn so what now son?!?!?!??!?

"Pegacorns" are called alicorns, and that was rude.

pegasai are cool, that is why <33333333 i love pegasus well i cant just say that since my OC is a pegacorn so what now son?!?!?!??!?

I am quite insulted by this, and by the fact I have a character named Bluestreak as well >.> you are not helping the pegasi, please, either stay quite or use proper grammer and proper english e.e Sorry if I am sounding mean

I have a single Pegasus OC and the rest are Unicorns. I don't see the appeal of flight when you can use magic, and I certainly don't see the appeal of brute strength when you, again, have magic. It's of my opinion that Pegasus are popular because so many people like Rainbow Dash and/or Fluttershy. Pegasus are a bit similar to Earth Ponies in regards to limitations and common behavior (in the show at least) but they get the bonuses of flying and being able to walk on clouds.

Oh, and a quick note, Alicorns are OP and can ruin an RP or story, even if the RPer is good. Unicorns can be just as cool, if not more so, than an Allicorn, if given the right personality and special talent. Save Alicorns for the high royalty, potassium? ;)

I get why people have an appeal for pegasi, unicorns and even alicorns, for the coolness factor(I can use magic, or fly anywhere I want, or even both at the same time!).

But when I was creating my character, I opted for neither and went earth pony. They don't have the cool abilities that pegasi and unicorns they have, but that's why they appeal to me. From an RP standpoint, the stuff earth ponies do feels much more of an accomplishment and a lot more rewarding than with pegasi or unicorn, "I designed and built an elaborate machine, solving my problem without any 'aids' from magic or flying!" for example. And I never liked flying anyway. ;_;

• Brohoof 1

Why did I make my OC a pegasus? Well... I'm Batbrony... that is all... what, that's it, no other reason, honest. -_-

OK, you got me, it's so I can fly and more easily fight crime... and get muffins. ^_^

• Brohoof 1