Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2012 London Summer Olympic Games Thread

Nas

Screw USA! (no offense)

It's all about Canada and BANGLADESH

Although in truth I'm not a HUGE fan of the olympics, the biggest sporting event of the year is already done for me, and the Spanish were the champs of that :D

Those Bangladeshi. Everyone wrote them off beforehand, but let me tell you, ALL of their athletes will get 4 gold medals each. Soon.
  • Brohoof 1

Seeing this on TV really makes me want to see the Olympics in person one day. I know my Father got to work at the 2000 and 2002 Olympics on special business. I gotta get my share some day.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Damn London sure knows how to use fireworks.

Seeing all of these nations together, many of which we only read about in school, is something else.

Indeed, is a spectacular sight to behold. It wouldn't matter if it were in sport, or charity, this event of enormous magnitude is the premiere thing to watch, as it emphasizes a hidden connection between the world's countries that is forgotten each odd-numbered year. But when it happens, it's all the countries’ bondages as equally as it is their participants' as well as the viewers and passionate fans for their very homelands. This is the spark that happens once every two years, and for an unfortunately short time, they make the most out of it being some of the most memorable among the chain of historic events in the world.

It's all about the diversity, baby. And these guys are what make it all happen. Since 1896.

Posted Image

Edited by NASCARFAN160licious
  • Brohoof 1

Those Bangladeshi. Everyone wrote them off beforehand, but let me tell you, ALL of their athletes will get 4 gold medals each. Soon.

haha yea, Bangladesh is gonna dominate :)

So, the Openining Ceremony. What a great way to start the games. I liked Beijing but I thought this was just more intimate and more detailed which was much cooler. My favorites included: the opening with the farming and then the industrial revolution (at first I thought it would be really bad but it turned out really cool), the Queen and Bond (even though she didn't jump out of the helicopter, seeing her in the movie was SO MUCH WIN!), the Parade of Nations (always a favorite), and the arrival of the torch.

What I didn't like: the doves on bicycles (looked like the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz), the fairytale stuff was ok, I didn't like the teenage and adult music thing (that was just really weird), and the cauldron was disappointing. It started out cool with the copper torches all coming together but when they were together it looked just like matchsticks.

A great way to start the games, but it's definitely on a different level than Beijing.

• Brohoof 2

NBC replayed some earlier swimming finals with USA's two main guys in it. Michael Phelps just barely got the 8th slot!

I also watched the finish of that Cycling race. Maybe it didn't go as everyone planned, but that just made the winner that much special. Good job Kazakhstan!!

I'm watching the USA VS KOR girl's volleyball right now on NBC. USA is in the lead, but I'm rooting for both countries. Both teams are actually pretty fun to watch. :)

Anyone else here actually live in the UK?

^dat Rowan Atkinson. Probably the best part of the ceremony.

One of my UK friends asked me last night, "Why do American's like Mr. Bean so much?"

And I replied, "Because Americans actually think that's how the British really are!" Kiddingly, of course. :)

• Brohoof 1

So Lochte beating Phelps, why am I not surprised? Phelps is overrated, arrogant, and past his prime. He really shouldn't be in London anyway.

Overrated? Not sure about that, I think he has already proved himself. Past his prime? I'll give you that. If he wasn't still a hell of a swimmer, he would not have made it past the trials. He earned his right to be here.
  • Brohoof 1

Overrated? Not sure about that, I think he has already proved himself. Past his prime? I'll give you that. If he wasn't still a hell of a swimmer, he would not have made it past the trials. He earned his right to be here.

I wasn't denying his right to be there. I was suggesting, though, that he's made a name for himself and ended Beijing on a high note. He doesn't need to go back and compete in London. It's going to sour his record.

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't denying his right to be there. I was suggesting, though, that he's made a name for himself and ended Beijing on a high note. He doesn't need to go back and compete in London. It's going to sour his record.

This is where I would have said "Point Taken" but since there is a limit, I will say I now understand your point.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

So....handball's an Olympic sport, eh? lol

Man, it's no wonder this city has the record for hosting, it has such a beautiful scenery, and so many landmarks. And as always, it looks so amazing at night.

Right now it looks like there's a rowing event going on. USA and Germany are in it! Man, this is very close....who's gonma win it.....and, looks like the host country wins it! And no surprise, too, rowing is big in Great Britain.

EDIT: Whoops, my bad, this is actually a much longer race than I expected. The athletes in the event are very talented, and have some endurance. Though all the teams have extended all of their leads, the US is catching up a bit....aaaand....yep, UK came out on top.

Edited by NASCARFAN160licious
  • Brohoof 2

China doing work early. 1st with 6 medals, 4 of which are gold. At least the US isn't far behind and there's plenty of medals still left to go. Italy did a nice job winning the men's archery and sweeping some women's fencing event.

As for Phelps vs. Lochte, I feel Phelps is done and now Lochte is this Olympics' Phelps. I would like to see Phelps take at least 1 gold medal home these games but his peak was reached in Beijing. It's hard to believe its already been 4 years.

• Brohoof 1

Might be a little late, but here is the medal count for day 1. Looks like the last host of the Games is really itching to go big here.

Posted Image

It's fun watching the US dominate in team sports. Women's volleyball yesterday, men's volleyball today, men and women's basketball all Olympics long. All your team event medals are belong to us.

• Brohoof 2

It's fun watching the US dominate in team sports. Women's volleyball yesterday, men's volleyball today, men and women's basketball all Olympics long. All your team event medals are belong to us.

Too bad for the US Women's Archery Team. But how about the US Women's Skeet Shooter (sorry, forgot her name)..shot 99/100 for a new Olympic Record and a Gold Medal. Oh, and she's the first to Gold Medal in an individual sport for 5 straight Olympics. Salute!
  • Brohoof 1