Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Giving Away Two Free Mac Games

Dr_Waveband

I just bought X-Com UFO Defence and Frozen Synapse Complete Pack off sale from GamersGate. However, I had a bit of a derp and managed to first buy a gift-only version of X-Com. I also noticed that the Frozen Synapse pack includes extra giftable copies of both PC and Mac versions of the game (not the DLC).

(Edit: more Mac fun discovered)

Long story short, I have extra copies of the two games I don't need, so I might as well give them away here. To clarify, the games are:

- X-Com UFO Defence (for PC)

- Frozen Synapse (PC version)

- Frozen Synapse (Mac version)

- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Mac version)

Here are links to their pages on GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgat...com-ufo-defence

http://www.gamersgat...ozen-synapse-pc

So, tell me if you'd like to have one of those games (I'll send a redeem code to your e-mail). You propably don't need to have a GamersGate account, but I'm not sure. Creating one is easy enough, though.

Now, I expect a lot of people jumping at this opportunity, so I'll also have to figure out a fair way of choosing who gets the games (I'm not giving all of them to one person, at least). Suggestions?

Edited by Scootacool

I'd say definitely give it to some member who can't buy games online (probably because they don't have permission from their parents to to purchase things online). Hopefully, the appliers will not lie.

Here's how I would do it:

Have a deadline and see how many applied.

Then using a random number generator with a sample space of number of applicants and let it choose a number, assuming all applicants have an equal chance of winning.

The number chosen is the applicants entry from the first applier.

For example, the number gen chooses 7. You count the first 6 applicants (and not entries, btw) and the 7th gets it.

This allows for more fair system.

Also, it helps those who can't actually experience the game because they can't buy it online. People who can buy the game online, can experience it at a later time anyways.

Edited by Bronium
  • Brohoof 1

it would defiantly be a great pleasure if i did get one of the games if not its still great that you are willing to give away some copies of games, to some lucky members, but yea thanks if i do get chosen if not Congrats to the members that got the games!

Meh, They both look pretty awesome....Unfortunately my PC is rubbish (Acer...Netbook...'nuff said.)

The other PC doesn't have internet, but plays older stuff well (Well...when it turns on!)

So yeah, I'm thankful for your generosity.

Just don't bother with me...Thanks!

(That was an odd sentence ^-^)

-Joe-

(You inspired me....I might give away a few copies of HALO: CE original at some point....If yo' interested, watch out for the topic.

I'll give some priority as I have plenty of copies....^-^)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Have a deadline and see how many applied.

Then using a random number generator with a sample space of number of applicants and let it choose a number, assuming all applicants have an equal chance of winning.

The number chosen is the applicants entry from the first applier.

For example, the number gen chooses 7. You count the first 6 applicants (and not entries, btw) and the 7th gets it.

Sounds like an interesting idea... I'll think about it.

I'd like to give the games to people who can't buy them themselves, but I don't really trust all people to be honest about it so I'll just choose between everyone participating.

(You inspired me....I might give away a few copies of HALO: CE original at some point....If yo' interested, watch out for the topic.

Don't count me in, I already have the game. Nice to hear you're feeling generous as well!

Edited by Dr_Waveband
  • Brohoof 1

I'd like to give the games to people who can't buy them themselves, but I don't really trust all people to be honest about it so I'll just choose between everyone participating.

Consider this.

A hundred people ask for the game. 70 people say they can't actually buy things online, but in reality only 20 people is telling the truth ( 20 of the original 70. This has to be the case)

If we have no policy as to who can buy the game,

there is a 1/5 chance the game will go to someone who can't buy it.

If we have the policy I say we adopt,

there is a 2/7 chance the the game will go to someone who can't buy it.

While this does take out the 30 who are truthful and advantages the liars, I say this is a fair risk. Also, I hope people here are honest about their money. Because it's not a simple lie. Those games have value and well if you lying about the lack of access of online purchase, that can be compared to saying you have cancer and you want your last dying wish from a make a wish foundation for adults. Obviously not that extreme ( I would give something less over the top but I can't think of any at the moment) , but it's still the same thing at heart. People might feel guilty about lying. It'll wear on their conscience surely.

(edited)

Consider this...

Your mathematics scares and confuses me.

I'm a cynical bugger and I don't expect hardly anyone to tell the truth. I'd rather just keep things simple.

But thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

It's awfully quiet here. In any case, I'll wait until tomorrow before gifting these.

So far there are only two takers: Luna317 and Charming Knight. I take it you have PC's, not Macs? If so, then which game would you prefer to have in case you two will be the winners?

And if others want to take part, please tell me which game you fancy.

Edited by Dr_Waveband
  • Brohoof 1

Your mathematics scares and confuses me.

I'm a cynical bugger and I don't expect hardly anyone to tell the truth. I'd rather just keep things simple.

But thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

It's awfully quiet here. In any case, I'll wait until tomorrow before gifting these.

So far there are only two takers: Luna317 and Charming Knight. I take it you have PC's, not Macs? If so, then which game would you prefer to have in case you two will be the winners?

And if others want to take part, please tell me which game you fancy.

X-Com UFO Defence (for PC) if i win thats the game i want :3 ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

X-Com UFO Defence (for PC) if i win thats the game i want :3 ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Noted. Good choice!

I would love to enter to get one of those games, but i have ubuntu :angry: (Note when you said PC i assume its windows version) the most frustrating OS of mankind

I don't know much about Ubuntu, but I think the PC versions indeed only work on Windows.

whoever ships you with your favorite pony the best gets a copy. There will be first second and third place who get to pick in that order

Heh... no.

@@My little pwny,

Those are the people who need it most.

One does not simply NEED a copy of a game, it's not needed for somepony to live and therefore it is a want.

But since we're talking about a giveaway it doesn't completely apply to this. The pony who recieves this should be somepony who doesn't have access to a credit card.

(edited)

Frozen Synapse (PC version) if you do choose me, i would like this game lol don't anything about it, but it sounds really cool time to do some reading!

All right. Good choice!

If you don't feel like reading, I recommend you watch TotalBiscuit's "first impressions" video of the game in his "WTF is..." series:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJrUY27O0Y

(Edit: didn't want an embed but that just happened)

Well, it seems no one else wants the games. You two can give me your e-mail addresses (in a private message if you don't want to tell them publicly) and I'll send the codes. Again, you propably don't need a GamersGate account, but I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone wants the Mac version of Frozen Synapse, it's still up for grabs. You can ask me about it anytime.

Edited by Dr_Waveband

I just sent you a gift card, Charming Knight.

In the process I realized I actually have TWO copies of the Mac version of Frozen Synapse as well as a Mac version of Amnesia: the Dark Descent. People with Macs: tell me if you want either.

Meh, They both look pretty awesome....Unfortunately my PC is rubbish (Acer...Netbook...'nuff said.)

The other PC doesn't have internet, but plays older stuff well (Well...when it turns on!)

So yeah, I'm thankful for your generosity.

Just don't bother with me...Thanks!

(That was an odd sentence ^-^)

-Joe-

Gaaah! The Acer Netbook.... Exactly Zero PC gamming oppertunities. I know how you feel man... *brohug*

• Brohoof 1

You are a pretty generous guy. I hope that who ever gets it gives you the appreciation you deserve. I'd ask myself but I have an acer notebook which is absolutely terrible for gaming.

You are a pretty generous guy. I hope that who ever gets it gives you the appreciation you deserve. I'd ask myself but I have an acer notebook which is absolutely terrible for gaming.

It? You mean the Mac games, since those are the only ones left.

And I actually only spent 1,70 EUR on the X-Com; the rest I got as extras when buying games for myself. I'm not really being all that generous.

(Also, this is my 40th post. So long, Muffin status.)

Hi i like to have the Frozen Synapse (Mac version) :3 my email: dnmonte@gmail.com

(I like that game)

I have 1 problem where i get the key on GAmesGate get the game (just fine but i cant redemm the key on menu of the game)

Edited by dnmonte2

I have 1 problem where i get the key on GAmesGate get the game (just fine but i cant redemm the key on menu of the game)

I'm not sure what you mean; you shouldn't need to use GamersGate beyond downloading the game. You'll have to create a profile within the game to play online. You can choose the password for that yourself.