Racism towards earth ponies

Motion Spark

I was looking for this topic because I've wanted to make a comment so here goes. Applejack and Pinkie Pie clearly show that Earth Ponies are not inept compared to the other pony types. Season 2 Episode 8 The Mysterious Mare Do Well is a very good example. Applejack as Mare-Do-Well was able to perform feats that Rainbow Dash failed to do and Pinkie Pie with her Pinkie Sense (seems like a lot of people are forgetting this particular ability) gave Pinkie superpony reflexes and a kind of Spiderman spider sense to avoid objects. This might explain how Pinkie was able to keep up with Rainbow Dash even if it was just for comic relief in that griffon episode.

I feel like earth ponies really just don't get many cool benefits, I mean yes they're job is important and all, but they're job and ablities aren't all that interesting.

They're suppose to have the best strength and have a special connection to the earth, but thats about it.

This thread makes me wanna make an earth pony OC now though :P.

Simply put I think it's because Earth Ponies don't really have anything special going for them unlike Pegasai and Unicorns. After all a Pegasus can fly and a Unicorn has magic but all an Earth Pony has is...well nothing that a human doesn't have aside from four legs and no thumbs, so people would rather have some kind of special attribute if they had to pick one simply because it would be different. I imagine people who would want to be an Alicorn are drawn to it because they don't have to choose between flying and magic with that option and can have the best of both worlds not to mention increased magical capabilities. 

Kind of makes you wonder if Earth Ponies are ever envious of other ponies, gotta give them some credit for being able to do everything they do without flying or magic. 

Earth ponies have growth jobs though because it says on the Hearths warming eve episode that Earth ponies are the only ponies that can farm (though i could see Celestia and Luna with a shovel and some seeds XD) So they are probably more inclined to have those jobs. As with the ocs i agree there is a bit of prejudice. Even in the brony documentary in the animation all the creatives are pegasi and unicorns. Don't the earth ponies get some love?

Well...I have an Earth pony OC.  Her name is Mystical Flow.

And I adore her.  Sometimes I wish she had magic, but the fact that she doesn't, leaves more room for a bit of a challenge when roleplaying! 

Shes one of my favorites.

Earth ponies doing all the work in Fields and Growing food for every kind of Pony (Pegsi or unicorns) and there is a lot of stuff that Earth ponies can't do like unicorns or pegasi.

My oc is a earth pony and I love her, sure you can do more with wings and magic but I see it like this in every job a pegasus or unicorn can do(except flying)an earth pony is able to do that too.

Only does it take more effort but that's fine since they're hard workers

PS. I don't know why people dislike earth ponies I feel more connected to them and I just love "normal" things in a world filled with unusual things

I was looking for this topic because I've wanted to make a comment so here goes. Applejack and Pinkie Pie clearly show that Earth Ponies are not inept compared to the other pony types. Season 2 Episode 8 The Mysterious Mare Do Well is a very good example. Applejack as Mare-Do-Well was able to perform feats that Rainbow Dash failed to do and Pinkie Pie with her Pinkie Sense (seems like a lot of people are forgetting this particular ability) gave Pinkie superpony reflexes and a kind of Spiderman spider sense to avoid objects. This might explain how Pinkie was able to keep up with Rainbow Dash even if it was just for comic relief in that griffon episode.

This is quite sound, however there is one problem. Pinkie's "sense" is unique to only to Pinkie Pie, and Applejack is a natural athlete. In their own right, they are capable of being "equal" in terms of capability to a pegasi. However since they are both main characters, it is natural that they are powerful. This thread kinda addresses the whole earth pony race, and Pinkie Pie is such the odd one out that many (including myself) don't take her as an earth pony representitive. Applejack did do things Dash had difficulties doing, but remember the autumn episode where AJ raced RD. Dash was easily capable of catching up with AJ, even though her legs (which are very selten used) should not be able to. (>'-')> Thanks for reading ^^

Probably because they can't do as much as the unicorns and pegasi. Pegasi and unicorns can do everything an earth pony can, but even more. I find earth ponies pretty cool, just the way they are. 

Another thing to point out is that it seems Unicorns are terrible at farming as shown in the Winter Wrap Up episode when Twilight was trying to help Applejack with the farming. Maybe that's just because Twilight haven't farmed a day before but who knows. :)

I would think that people like envisioning themselves as Unicorns or Pegasi because they see them as completely inconsequential "super-powered" versions of themselves as ponies. In other words, when one imagines themselves as a pony and has the option of just being themselves as a pony vs. being a magical pony or being a pony with wings (with no drawbacks or cost to choosing those added benefits) they would more often than not elect to have these additional powers.

In the show, the diversity of gender looks like it's either modelled after real-world gender ratios of horses, or slanted for the purposes of its intended original demographic. The diversity of pony races looks planned in order to demonstrate a certain ratio of characters. That or random, and by chance reinforces only a certain level of variety.

gender_and_race_in_my_little_pony_by_ana

Edited by Blue and Red
  • Brohoof 1

Earth poni best poni. 4 of my 5 OCs are earth ponies. The other is a pegasus. 

Earth ponies tend to get the short end of the stick-- like in the Windigo episode where it's explained that none of the pony races could get along, you see the earth ponies as peasants. ;-; 

The reason I choosed to have a unicorn as my OC was so I could make books levitate while reading them. Simple as that. This one is also based on my own personality, which makes it the main one. My other OC's however, are earth ponies... don't quite know why I made that decision, but honestly I don't really care either. We're all equal. 

• 2 months later...

Racist Barn, Racist Barn

we don't want no pegasi or unicorns huh.png laugh.png

I'm going to assume there's an awful fanfiction wjhere the apple family rids the town of non-earth ponies? wacko.png sad.png

• Brohoof 1

Its just that pegasus ponies and unicorns have special abilities and earth ponies are just too normal. If you were given the choice would you want to fly/cast spells or keep the same abilities as before (meaning nothing special)

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh, my favourite race would be a pegasus. I don't really appreciate Alicorns. Unless they're an ACTUAL princess....I know Twilight is, i just don't like that she's an alicorn, she suits being a unicorn. Anywho, Earth ponies are capable of doing most things without the help of magic or flying. Which technically makes them more talented.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I think most people prefer unicorns because you can still have them do things that would require hands in fanart and such,

Except we've repeatedly seen ponies just use their hooves for that.

Edited by A.V.

Except we've repeatedly seen ponies just use their hooves for that.

My post was made in early-mid 2012 before they started doing that a lot on the show. 

• Brohoof 1

While I do agree with you that earth ponies can be just as cool as the others, they don't really have some of the advantages that the others do.  The "racism" is only logical, as far as I see it.  Besides, it's not like Mentally Advanced...

I love earth ponies the most. My oc's an earth pony.. I never even thought twice about it. It's probably because my interests revolve around plants, food and animals, heh.

I think people like pegasi and unicorns more because they're fantasy creatures. I mean, earth ponies are regular horses, they exist. But with the other races, there's not as many rules. Pegasi don't need to stay on the ground, Unicorns can cast all sorts of magic.

That probably made no sense.

I like earth ponies because I like Batman. Batman doesn't need any fancy magic. Batman doesn't need to fly, he fights crime literally. Meaning, he punches it in the face. I guess what I'm saying is that earth ponies is batman.

• Brohoof 1

Who else wants the next Big Bad to be a Xanatos-like Earth Pony voiced by Jonathan Frakes?

img-2658229-1-1449110-vlcsnap_2010_05_14

Because if they already managed to get John De Lancie as a Q-like character...

...I'm not sure I know who that is.