Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Princess Cadence a Mary Sue?

CastletonSnob

Was Princess Cadence a Mary Sue?  

76 users have voted

1. 1. Was Princess Cadence a Mary Sue?

• Yes
    • No

I believe most Alicorns are Mary Sues... I don't think Cadence was overpowered though, at least not as much as Celestia and Luna.

well there weren't many scenes with her just the moment before and after the wedding and one single flash back. so she hasnt had enough screen time to make her a Mary sue.

Partially it was because of some certain trailer/teaser/whatever of the season finale. She was somehow pictured as an all-perfect character that can easily get along with the Mane Six, just like your everyday Mary Sue

But when the season finale aired, we finally know that she actually got some decent backstory to justify her get-along-ness with the mane six, so practically we have no reason to see her as a Mary Sue. I'm sure there's some image that can explain this much clearer, too bad I don't have it on me :x

• Brohoof 2

No, not at all to me! She wasnt any more perfect then any of the made six in my opinion. Just because shes nice dosent make her a Mary Sue.

Btw, I dont get how Celestia is a mary sue. Shes an adult and you only see her with kids/younger ponies so of course she acts like that. Like a queen would act to her subjects and how a adult would act to kids.

Edited by Pinkie
  • Brohoof 2

Hmmm, I wouldn't really say any of the characters I've come across in the series were Mary Sues, not even Celestia. This is only because she has a... certain sense of humor. It's a bit dark, mind you, and there seems to be something deep within that pony.

There wouldn't be Molestia and Trollestia if it weren't so :L

But anyway, Cadence, in a way, sort of came across as being so, but we never got to see much of her. Hopefully, though, we'll see more of her, and especially her flaws.

I don't find Cadence to be a Mary Sue. If she were, then she wouldn't have been trapped by the Changeling Queen, and it wouldn't have taken her so long to defeat Chrysalis. One episode is not much to go on though.

and what is wrong with mary sue exactly? I dunno about you all but Mary Sue is a good person and doesnt afraid of anything

I laughed way more then I should have.

I don't see any of them as mary sues, especially not Celestia after the whole Discord/getting overpowered by Chrysalis thing.

I don't think Cadence or Celestia are Mary Sues. Celestia definitely has a certain sort of classiness about her that doesn't make her a Mary Sue. As for Cadence, I thought her story was interesting enough, so that she can't really be considered a Mary Sue, and we'll most likely be seeing some character development for her in Season 3.

Well we haven't really had enough screen time of her to make that kind of judgement.

However, two characters I can think of that would appear to be are Cheerilee and obviously Celestia.

~~

No offense, but could somepony add anther choice to the poll? We need a number three.

03. Who the hell is Mary Sue?

I actually do know what it means, but only because I had to look it up several months ago.

The explanation is there. "or a perfect character." There's also google if you need more than that.

No need to add a third option.

Anyways, I think that Cadence is close to a Mary Sue. She has to power to make two ponies fall in love ffs. And basically everyone likes her. What sticks out more for me, though, is the total deus ex machina ending she pulled off. Elements of Harmony out of reach? Love cures all np.

Edited by Lolness The Hunt

Cadance didn't have enough screen time for further development, but I didn't perceive her as a Mary Sue character. If she had been an OC from a fanfic, however, I suspect I would be singing a different tune. An alicorn princess who is best friends with Twilight Sparkle and is about to marry Twilight's brother? That's often the stuff terrible stories are made from. Studio B managed to pull it off, though. I think it has to do with the sense that Cadance remains fairly well grounded despite her prestige.

• Brohoof 5

We'll find out in season three since we'll be seeing both her and Shining Armor quite a bit. With Cadence being royalty who married Twilight's brother (as Spoon has already said), it would be quite easy to immediately jump on the Mary Sue wagon as that's the kind of stuff you usually see in fanfics.

She's a pretty big character already despite only appearing in two episodes as of now - because of it, it's hard to say what she really is, because we haven't exactly seen her flaws so much as we got to see her resolve and other strengths. We haven't seen her bad habits, her problems - unless you count being imprisoned as a big problem, of course. We haven't had the opportunity to get attached to her, is all, so it would be hard to draw conclusions on her because this isn't the final product of her character.

• Brohoof 2

Doesn't it have to be an OC to be a Mary Sue? I don't see how she's 'Perfect' after all, she managed to get herself captured in the first place. a Mary sue would have been to clever to let that happen, or she would have broken out on her own. and SHE didn't defeat the changelings, Shining Armor did, she just used her Ubercharge on him. (TF2 Reference)

• Brohoof 2

I don't find her much of a Mary Sue. Too late introduced? Yes, but she is not a Mary Sue to me, I find that she is a very fine pony. A very Disney - style pony, combined with the very interesting Shining Armor. I find she is fine.^^

I thought that "Mary Sue" was, by definition, a character in fanfiction. If that is the case, then Cadence couldn't have been.

However, Cadence seemed awfully similar to some of the Alicorn Princess OCs out there. Uggh, Hopefully S3 will depict more of Cadence's political, statecraft side.

• Brohoof 1