• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

just get it from a torrent website for free then later buy it

you have to buy apple OS X that cost money so why not run it on a custom pc 

but i give 100% full credit to apple for creating Mac and OS X 

as you know i currently own two apple macs

a mac pro 

and a macbook air 

Why are you suggesting that people illegally obtain software if they can't afford it?

I'm gonna have to go with windows. The simplicity and intuitive design, while still providing support to whatever software i need beats anything else. I'm studying Linux for academic and professional purposes, but i don't think i'll be using it myself anytime soon.

Why are you suggesting that people illegally obtain software if they can't afford it?

(facehoof)

when did i ever suggest to illegally get a copy of mac os x 

you have to buy that 

i just suggested to make a hackintosh thats all

(facehoof)

when did i ever suggest to illegally get a copy of mac os x 

you have to buy that 

i just suggested to make a hackintosh thats all

That's still violating Apple's EULA. You also suggested torrenting Windows if you can't afford it.

That's still violating Apple's EULA. You also suggested torrenting Windows if you can't afford it.

I'm just saying to get it from the torrent as a trial purpose 

than later buy it 

and since when did apple have a "EULA"

that states you can't use OS X on another devIce

Yeah I know, but booting off of my old hard drive causes a blue screen of death, and I'm too poor to afford Windows.

yeah you need to ether change the drive or format the drive completely and install a new software 

Edited by DR0ID-P0N3

and since when did apple have a "EULA"   that states you can't use OS X on another devIce

https://ssl.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX1010.pdf

"The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not 

to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do 
so. Except as otherwise permitted by the terms of this License or otherwise licensed by Apple: (i) only 
one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software available 
over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You may not rent, 
lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software."

Section H, Other Use Restrictions.

to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do 
so. Except as otherwise permitted by the terms of this License or otherwise licensed by Apple: (i) only 
one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software available 
over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You may not rent, 

From Section H, Other Use Restrictions.

what IF you had a powermac g5 case and ran that 

it should be ok because it has the apple logo everywhere and it says in the case designed by apple in California 

so there you have it 

a legal way to build a hackintosh 

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
Quoted removed content.

what IF you had a powermac g5 case and ran that 

it should be ok because it has the apple logo everywhere and it says in the case designed by apple in California 

so there you have it 

a legal way to build a hackintosh 

its not my fault that he he knows more than the people at apple genius bar 

616204.gif

Doesn't work that way, son. What they mean is a machine built by Apple themselves. Replacing the hardware inside an existing Mac case doesn't mean it's still "Apple-branded" because it wasn't built by Apple, but rather an individual. Further, OS X is digitally distributed now, meaning you can't just go to the store and buy a copy of it like you can with Windows. It's not easy to obtain a copy of it now and if you do you have to install it on an Apple-built computer rather than one you built yourself. Will it work, if you do get it? Yes, after some extensive workarounds (hence the term "Hackintosh") but you get zero support from Apple.

I tried to use someone's Mac once. I couldn't even figure out how to scroll.

I tried to use an IPhone once. I couldn't even close a window.

I tried to use Linux on an older computer once. It worked okay, but I couldn't play any games. I reinstalled Windows over the computer, instead.

I use Windows. Linux is cool but it doesn't have games. Using a Mac feels like driving a semitruck in reverse down a highway. It's just awkward.

I use linux as my main desktop. It's a great system, sturdy, secure, and as lightweight as you want it to be. The GUI is completely detached from the system itself, which I think is brilliant and allows for a lot of possibilities.

Windows is alright, it's decent for games and it has visual studio. Frankly though, if I could find a good replacement for vs2013, I think my Windows partition would be abandoned.

And Mac... I've used it before and it's basically a rich man's Unix. I can understand the appeal because the UI is really well done. The biggest problems though are iTunes in general (HUGE piece of bloatware) and the fact that it felt like I was just running another Linux distro. Except it's more expensive and proprietary.

My stance: Linux > Windows > OS X

(as a side note, I've also used freeBSD before. It's not too bad either, I particularly liked jails...)

Linux of the three is the best, but suffers in app support and in user friendliness. (The distros is also its biggest strength and weakness of linux giving it both diversity, and discord )

Windows (imo) would be second best due to its great selection of apps, gaming (best of the three) and for being the most concord of the three. Windows suffers in security do its popularity (weak use of the word)

Apple is last (imo) due to its overpricing, and closed source market (it is also just as vulnerable to malware as windows). It is however great in the graphics department.

Because we all know how ugly OS debates can get, I've moved this thread to the debate pit. 

I prefer pretty much any *nix system over Windows, personally. Linux, OS X, BSD, Unix, whatever. That beautiful POSIX compliance <3

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've used Windows all my life, and I don't plan to change that, so I'm gonna say Windows. Also, I don't have any problems with Windows 8. 

Just built mine a few days ago.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($126.00 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($85.79 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Monitor: Asus VN247H-P 23.6" Monitor  ($164.30 @ Amazon) 
Total: $835.99

For a simpler list instead of the in-depth one up there:

AMD FX-8320(Eight-Cores, 3.5Ghz)

GTX 750ti FTW(2GB)

8GB DDR3 RAM(1600MHz, 2x4GB)

2x1TB HDDs(7200 RPM)

Blu-Ray Burner

Windows 8

Section H, Other Use Restrictions.

Meh, no-one gives a shit about that. Fairly high-profile Youtubers like Linus and Marqus Brownie have built them and Apple hasn't lifted a finger. My best guess is that's a bluff and there's some law keeping them from actually enforcing that.  

Edited by Shoboni