Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question to the Brony Community

Driz

Recently, I've been seeing a few things around this very forums that made me rather sad. A few things about the view on certain types of fans. Before anything, this won't be any kind of hate letter and I also hope not to cause any kind of drama or controversial opinions while writing this. Anyway, here we go~

There are many threads about this subject already and usually when a member leaves, people also complain about how the community has changed and how they also wanted to leave because of it. Not only that, people talk about the hypocrite fans, who goes around shouting "Love & Tolerance" and never practice it, and the ignorant fans, who stick to their opinions being the best and start flamewars whenever other people state their own.

I agree those "type of fans" are hard to cope with. They can easily get to our nerves sometimes even if we try to ignore them. But one thing I don't understand is why do you guys want to leave the whole community because of it? Why do you guys want to "stop being a brony" because of it? Is your bond with the community so weak that you would throw it all away just because of a small percentage of it?

Now, don't get me wrong. I love this community and the members of this very forum, and that's why I hate to see everyone complaining about the bad sides of it. This honestly makes ME feel bad because I think I'm not being good enough as a member in order to keep the community satisfied.

Did I make myself clear enough? :(

• Brohoof 17

Anyone is going to get bored with something after a while. My first day on this forum, for example: I had 60 (or 80, I forget the actual number) active posts within 24 hours. That's quite a lot. I was so active because I was very excited to be part of this forum and of the brony community as a whole. Nowadays, I spend most of my time in Cloudsdale (sadly), because things just slowly lose their appeal. Some people may say that the fandom has changed, but really, it's most likely themselves. I wouldn't know, though. Things are different through others' eyes.

People also get quite butthurt easily from trolls and people they're not typically fond of. No matter how "loving and tolerating" we are as bronies, we still get annoyed with people, and it's a lie if anyone says otherwise. If there is no real reason for any said person leaving other than "da fandum haz chaaaanggeddddddd", then don't feel bad. It's not worth the energy to care, really.

People move on, simple as that, really. Half the time without any contemplation upon it.

• Brohoof 6

Anyone is going to get bored with something after a while. My first day on this forum, for example: I had 60 (or 80, I forget the actual number) active posts within 24 hours. That's quite a lot. I was so active because I was very excited to be part of this forum and of the brony community as a whole. Nowadays, I spend most of my time in Cloudsdale (sadly), because things just slowly lose their appeal. Some people may say that the fandom has changed, but really, it's most likely themselves. I wouldn't know, though. Things are different through others' eyes.

People also get quite butthurt easily from trolls and people they're not typically fond of. No matter how "loving and tolerating" we are as bronies, we still get annoyed with people, and it's a lie if anyone says otherwise. If there is no real reason for any said person leaving other than "da fandum haz chaaaanggeddddddd", then don't feel bad. It's not worth the energy to care, really.

People move on, simple as that, really. Half the time without any contemplation upon it.

I have to agree with Sugar Plum. People simply change, that's life.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this fandom, but interests change over time. It's very rare to love something forever.

Sure there are some bad parts of our fandom, but in general we have a very good community.

well for me its mainly due to the fact that 'are you even a brony?' was often the question asked when i voiced my opinion on things.

also i don't have any problem with things being brought to peoples attention which is why i'm always kinda glad to see stuff like 'Love and Tolerance being abused'and the other stuff i my self have already ranted about like a lunatic. these bad sides need to be address in order to be resolved rather then just ignored and i mean the real bad sides (i'm kinda annoyed how certain things that aren't even bad get dragged in to it but i'll agree there is one part of it that is very very wrong )

Edited by PonyEcho

The whole "love and tolerate" thing is a meme. Somebody made an image macro featuring that saying, people saw some humor and bandwagoning potential, and ran with it from there. It's a great thing we should all strive for, but as for how it applies to our community, it wasn't adopted in sincerity from the beginning.

As for people rage quitting or walking away from the fandom based on a few bad experiences, I think I may know the primary reason. Most of the people here are teenagers or younger. They haven't really experienced anything beyond their school lives and personal circle of friends, whom they've selected for themselves. Then they get involved in something this massive, find some kindred individuals, but have no control over the undesirable elements that come with it. Being unable to weed out that which they don't like and have the same level of control that they do in their daily lives, they decide to walk away and stick with what's familiar to them. You could say that they got a dose of the "real world," except in this instance they can easily leave it behind. In typical childlike and teenage fashion, they overreact and employ far more emotion than reason to a bad situation. They also have an all-in or all-out perspective on a lot of things, either devoting themselves fully to something they like or not bothering with something at all. I'm not deriding them, it's perfectly normal, but it explains a lot of what's happening here. If it wasn't so then people wouldn't mention other members that they absolutely love but then forsake them because another group called them some mean names.

It's a bit of a tangent, but this brings to mind many status updates I read. One guy in particular comes to mind. I think he's a bright individual and a good guy, but I read about things him and his girlfriend go through and whether or not they love each other or other people. I frequently want to tell him that neither he nor his girl know what they're talking about, but those are things they'll figure out on their own in a few years.

Most brony adults I know, including myself, have far thicker skin and are able to cope with these incidents without feeling like the whole thing is ruined. You learn to enjoy the parts that appeal to you and to silently give the brush off to what offends you. If that wasn't the case I would have left this fandom many months ago based on my experiences in another forum and a few things I saw on Reddit.

edit: grammatical

• Brohoof 7

It's been said many times already, everyone moves on. Some people make a big deal of it, but many of us don't. And it's blown out of proportion sometimes, so your points are crystal clear to me, DrizzleSTAR.

With the exception of PW boards where I had several thousand posts over six years because the place really had a hold on me...it's rare for me to achieve 200+ posts on any one forum before I lose interest and move on. With MLP, who knows. I'm close to passing that mark and will probably stick around for Season 3. But as we all know, some people leave the board and still enjoy the show as much as anyone, and others love the show but aren't interested in joining the board. So I think this is really a question about the board itself and not the entire brony community. :)

• Brohoof 1

It was already said that it's persons themselves who's changing, but fandom changing too, it's growing, diversing, improving, not anyone can cope with it.

And one more reason - a lot of new bronies jumping in fandom with head, posting maniacally shouting about Tolerance/RD/Friendship, but that only way to persuade themselves that they part of fandom, but in reality it's just not their's. And after some time they realising it.

Everyone need's self-identification, and then big part of 20+, and most of 25+ had already found their way, 20- just in search. For me for example MLP is part of me, part of my background, but someones thinks that MLP should be way of life.

Avrrrrr, hope it's readable. :)

I personally think that the outside world view of Bronies is wrong.

Gamers think that Bronies just sit around trying to convert people or just screw with them by shoving pony related pictures/videos etc. in other peoples faces.

Normal people think Bronies are grown men sitting around combing hair on brushies.

But noone seems to know about the (as i see it) Good, or "real" brony. Like me. I love to watch the show, listen to fan music read fan fics and watch fan art. I mean, I don't throw pony...stuff everywhere at everyone but most people think "we" do. So on the internet it has been viewed that Bronies are "bad" and that attracts haters, witch attracts the "bad" bronies making everyone futher more belive that bronies are infact bad and that there are no "good" ones out there.

This makes me furious because one can really get completly avoided by this, illusion.

Edited by ChuniaC

I personally think that the outside world view of Bronies is wrong.

Gamers think that Bronies just sit around trying to convert people or just screw with them by shoving pony related pictures/videos etc. in other peoples faces.

Normal people think Bronies are grown men sitting around combing hair on brushies.

But noone seems to know about the (as i see it) Good, or "real" brony. Like me. I love to watch the show, listen to fan music read fan fics and watch fan art. I mean, I don't throw pony...stuff everywhere at everyone but most people think "we" do. So on the internet it has been viewed that Bronies are "bad" and that attracts haters, witch attracts the "bad" bronies making everyone futher more belive that bronies are in fact bad and that there are no "good" ones out there.

This makes me furious because one can really get completly avoided by this, illusion.

erm yeah its not rely a Illusion's, i think you are rely ill informed to think this.

also

Gamer's think of Bronies as Bronies because most Bronie's will also be Gamer's too

the media- say what ever they want to get view and Bronie are easy targets

the public just don't give a fuck.

also I find the whole 'real/true Bronie' thing to be one of the biggest problems with the community,

but that's just me

Edited by PonyEcho

Love and Tolerate was created by 4chan users as a responce to trolls. How it became a catch-phrase for the fandom, I have no clue. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

Whenever I a Brony stereotype or a Brony who gets on my nerves I just roll my eyes. Everybody is different, as well as every Brony. Bronies can be anyone, and due to the large amount of Bronies there WILL be bad eggs, like in every other fandom. I've seen people who stop watching the show just because of the Bronies, and to be frank, they're being overly judgmental and missing out. You're pretty much judging thousands of normal people who have a similar interest. In real life, you don't let certain people stop you from doing stuff you enjoy. If you do encounter these people, you have the choice to ignore them. Even if your life on the internet is completely different, the same rules typically still should apply.

Also, considering that there are so many sub-genres of Bronies, you can't just take one small percent of a group, take them and say "all Bronies are like this". For example, there's cloppers, artists, musicians, writers, bloggers etc. and many cross over into different genres. You can't say "lol all bronies are attracted to animals" and you also can't say "but, all bronies produce amazing pieces of artwork" because a lot of us do neither and we just like talking about and watching a good cartoon. -_-

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 3

Most brony adults I know, including myself, have far thicker skin and are able to cope with these incidents without feeling like the whole thing is ruined. You learn to enjoy the parts that appeal to you and to silently give the brush off to what offends you.

Essentially this.

I'd also like to add that we are all fans of a show. A show that is currently on a long, painful period between seasons. You can only watch the first two seasons so many times before you turn to fandom. And on closer examination, when that fandom isn't exactly what you expect...

Posted Image

It's unfortunate, but it'll happen.

What happens in the brony community has no impact on my level of participation. My interest is tied to the show first and foremost. Coming here to MLP Forums is a additional tie-on to my interest. If I feel MLP Forums no longer feeds my need and interest, then I'll cut that tie and stick to the show. I'll still be a brony because the show should be the #1 determinant, not any forum, not Madmax comics or MicDaMicrophone remixes. Forums, art, and music are supplements.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 3

I have to agree with all that's being said here. Especially with Artemis, Sugar Plum, PonyEcho, TailsAlone, DoctorXFizzle, Rarietty and Crispy. Although I AM 18 and I consider myself mature enough to handle things, thank you very much -_- :lol: . Anwyay, there are multiple reasons why someone leaves so easily. Here's what I collected from everyone's thoughts, and also a few that I myself point out.

First of all, there's the thing that Season 3 is taking FOOOOOREVEEEEEER to come, and some people WILL lose interest after a little time. Not everyone will have the same patience others do. And besides, like others said, many are just temporarily leaving. When Season 3 comes around...well, why do you think Feld0 and co. are so worried about the MASSIVE influx of things that will come when it starts? :lol: Besides, we were finally given the news that it will be in November, so at least we KNOW something about it. Not all of us will maintain the same interest in the community when it takes forever to ahve something...refreshing from thing you have been following, endless amount of fan stuff aside, and not everyone can endure with only that. It's a matter of time really, We'll all see it coming. And MLPForums will be drowned...or not, for the sake of Feld0, Zoop, Scootacool and the mods :P . There's also the matter, that to some, MLP ISN'T everything to them. Like some others have their fave fandoms and shows, like Doctor Who, Homestuck, The Last Airbender, etc. If MLP is first, and it takes forever to come, then they will temporarily turn to the other fandoms while they wait. And even more if MLP ISN'T your first and formost liked show.

Another one is, it might be a proper feeling for just about the thread and the forum, like TailsAlone said. Sometimes important people from here (apparently) have left, making some think EVERYONE leaves, as I saw someone else write. There are people really connected to the forum, so maybe the drama belongs to that. But this is probably on smaller amount, as I think other places have mentioned this.

Then, mixing what Artemis, Sugar Plum and Cripsy said, some just can't handle the moment they found someone insulting them or some such, for various reasons. You're not tolerant enough, it could be your not mature enough (by age or any other reason) to handle it and stuff, you turn out of the fandom the moment it disappoints you and much more. Some actually DO have a reason to fell like leaving when, after putting the bronies in a sort of "saint" light, they feel utterly down when they saw not everyone was smile and sunshine. It IS a dose of reality, but it becomes WORSE the moment the fandom you so much so praised for it's goodness...well...isn't THAT good. Plus, some had the bad luck to get just bad stuff though bad stuff from the fandom happen to them and well...everyone has their limits. Especially when the good doesn't overcome the bad.

And finally, many are actually overdoing this whole theme. I think the fandom is BIG enough to sustain itself even if some leave. We aren't that fandom that almost exactly 2 years ago was very little. Nay, we have grown FAR beyond anyone's expectations. The only moment we should really feel many are leaving...is when EVERONE agrees, lots are leaving.

• Brohoof 3

Leave? Who said anything about leaving? I know im never gonna leave you guys!

Posted Image

unless if I die from some kind of accident... then I wont be here no more :(

• Brohoof 1

Wow, I've actually had this happen to a good friend of mine, she used to love ponies, and she left just because of the community, and how they reference ponies on everything.

I do agree, that those fans are annoying.

But the thing is that she doesn't watch the show anymore, just because of the fans who reference ponies on everything.

Recently, I've been seeing a few things around this very forums that made me rather sad. A few things about the view on certain types of fans. Before anything, this won't be any kind of hate letter and I also hope not to cause any kind of drama or controversial opinions while writing this. Anyway, here we go~

There are many threads about this subject already and usually when a member leaves, people also complain about how the community has changed and how they also wanted to leave because of it. Not only that, people talk about the hypocrite fans, who goes around shouting "Love & Tolerance" and never practice it, and the ignorant fans, who stick to their opinions being the best and start flamewars whenever other people state their own.

I agree those "type of fans" are hard to cope with. They can easily get to our nerves sometimes even if we try to ignore them. But one thing I don't understand is why do you guys want to leave the whole community because of it? Why do you guys want to "stop being a brony" because of it? Is your bond with the community so weak that you would throw it all away just because of a small percentage of it?

Now, don't get me wrong. I love this community and the members of this very forum, and that's why I hate to see everyone complaining about the bad sides of it. This honestly makes ME feel bad because I think I'm not being good enough as a member in order to keep the community satisfied.

Did I make myself clear enough? :(

Yes i agree. And you did make yourself clear. I don't understand that either. I know this fandom has its "certian fans", but why does that have to blind someone from the real truth of this fandom. All the great, talented, genuine, loving people. Even if this fandom has its bad side, that aint gonna stop me from leaving this amazing fandom. The great bronies, the talent, the fun, the laughs we have all had. Nothing aint gonna make me leave that. Nothing. I will never just throw it all away.

Idk why certain people leave. Maybe they see some percent of it, assume its most of the fandom, are to quick to judge, and immediatly feel they are in some terrible comunity. Or maybe they are annoyed or angered to easily to easliy. Or just don't wnat to be in a fandom who welcomes and has members like that. They all have their own reasons. But theres one thing that probably aint gonna change, their love of the show. The only way a person will lose interest in the show is if they didn't care for it much originally and got bored of it. Or maybe some personal reason. But if they love the show, but choose to leave the fandom, in my eyes, they aint out of this fandom. They love the show, and in my eyes a Brony is one who loves the show. They are still a Brony to me.

Don't feel bad seein' those posts. There is always someone who is gonna over react and complain and crap. Thats their choice if they suddenly don't want to be a Brony. You can just ignore or nto care for it much. Or you can comment on it but don't let it personally affect you. There are some many good bronies and many joining i don't think a couple people leaving cuz they are butthurt aint much of a problem.

• Brohoof 2

Some people aren't educated enough (no offense) to realize something. People do weird things, but they don't realize they may be doing weird things to. The bottom line is this, they don't like people doing weird things, which many of the people in the fandom do, but they can't change that, so they just give up. If they want to see change they need to change themselves, you can't change other people.

Yes i agree. And you did make yourself clear. I don't understand that either. I know this fandom has its "certian fans", but why does that have to blind someone from the real truth of this fandom.

Because this "certan fans" usially loudest part of fandom, so a lot of people outside of mlp-community, knew only one type of Bronies, I cant say I hate "certan fans", since they doing it not to bring harm to fandom (I hope), but for some other resons, I belive that almost all of them can rethink their behavior. I think that if Bronies what to be good ones in eyes of society we need to show best sides of us, not worst. For example in Moscow brony activists bild small copy of ponyville in park (not real of cause, with painted tents, and I haven't been there), and showed parts of first season, PMVs, Music. You know how much new bronies was recruted that day? And how much ordinary people who didn't even new about bronies received good impression? It's not plan of doing things, but example.

But if they love the show, but choose to leave the fandom, in my eyes, they aint out of this fandom. They love the show, and in my eyes a Brony is one who loves the show. They are still a Brony to me.

At first I didn't even know about fandom, I've just liked the show. I find out about bronies at youtube and was beaten up then started arguing about the show with youtube-bronies, if not some more events, I would never call myself a Brony.

Why should we care about those guys who whines and screams about the impurity of the fandom? if they can't live as a part of an unperfect community, then let them be. We can do better without them

• Brohoof 1

Naturally your enthusiasm for something is going to slowly die down as you continue it. Its just a fact. I don't really think theres many if any cases where this is incorrect.

The fandom doesn't change the people just eventually get bored of the forums. Its nobody's fault maybe it's just that some people may have contributed to making them make these desicions.

People will live people will join.

Its the circle of how things work, you can't really change it whether you like it or not unfortunately.

Edited by Zygen

It's all hysterical hearsay... So there isn't much you can do about it.

But most of the people I know who leave; leave because of stuff going on in their life, not because of the fanbase.

Besides we shouldn't really care how people view the community because of stereotypes brought upon us from "those fans" that they all know. Just go on, no need to hate. I'm not saying love and tolerate.

Just let it be, live and let live.

• Brohoof 1

Everybody goes through a phase. I used to be very active on Nintendo forums and everything Star Trek, but once I grew up and realized that some of the things of the culture didn't appeal to me anymore, I slowly just turned the other way and walked back "home", then branching out to other interests that might please me. Doesn't make me less than a Trekkie or Nintendo fan, it's just that some of the add-ons to those fanbases don't quite get to me anymore.

I think the only fandom from my childhood that I've really stuck to is Final Fantasy, but that's because FF introduces something new in every one of their installments. Unfortunately, that can't be said for much else.

I don't think we should worry about the people who point out impurities and are so vocal about their opinions, I say let them be, and just ignore them.

I agree with you 10 of 10. This is not only with those kinds of people, but also the cloppers. I personally feel like nobody in our community deserves any hate. The only people I despise are the, well, haters. I strongly believe that love and tolerance is total BS. Nobody follows that code anymore. It was probably just sort of popular when the fandom was in the /b/ stages, but now, nobody ever does that. It just comes up when a hater tries to use something against the fandom.

• Brohoof 1