Colt

Disney got star wars!  

22 users have voted

1. 1. Disney got star wars!

• WIN
    • Fail
    • Undecided
    • Other

I was scared to death when they acquired Marvel but so far they seem to just let Marvel do their thing I hope they do the same with Star Wars I have been a fan of Star Wars for a long time if they screw it up I am going to be royally pissed.

• Brohoof 3

As someone who is not a Star Wars fan...I don't see anything wrong here. Lucas has always said he wanted to hand over the company before he died at some point, so this is him earning lots of cash for himself. Honestly,. I don't see anything wrong with making a new Star Wars film--it just means more material for me to mock when it comes out. (Plus, it means Darths and Droids can continue on to another movie!)

Half of american media is owned by Disney, yet little of it actually bears their name. As utterly blasphemous as this purchase sounds, I highly doubt they're going to do anything bad with the franchise.

After all, the latest Mortal Kombat is owned by Warner Brothers, of all people. Yet it's the most graphic and disturbing entry in the series yet. Disney's a professional company; for all we know, any future Star Wars movie may stand a high chance of being fairly high-quality.

My main concern, however, is how Disney will handle the Expanded Universe. Lucasfilms was pretty cool with it, so we'll see how Disney responds.

• Brohoof 2

I think we can all agree that after Episode I its very very difficult for someone to hurt more of our love for the Star Wars franchise. After that it just can go up up up, even if its by little steps like EpII and EpIII. VIII will keep like that right... right?

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

Gah, so dumb.... I don't even like Disney, but I stopped caring about Star Wars, too. I mean, it lost it's touch with me as I've had as a kid, anyway, I don't really care but it's still weird to see Star Wars being passed over. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

This. I enjoy Star Wars as a casual observer. I know the names of most of the more obscure characters, and know a fair amount of its lore. But I am not "into it" enough to be at all bothered by the news. If the next trilogy is good, then cool. If not, I won't be butthurt.

Well, I'll be honest and say that I never really got into Star Wars. It never really appealed to me, though I always thought the Empire Strikes Back was a good film. However, I could understand why people liked it(as in the original trilogy and some of the things that followed), since that could be backed up by pointed to the parts of the movies and characterrs people found appealing(not too different from people being able to justify their love for MLP: FiM).

However, Star Wars was sent to its deathbed when the prequels were made. These things that have happened after that, like the Star Wars Kinect, some podracing games and the changes being made to the originals, are just the franchise barely staying alive on life-support past its death. I do not think that Disney can do more harm to Star Wars than Lucas already have.

As I see it, one of two outcomes are possible:

1: It is going to continue to suck as the Star Wars geeks who loved/loves the original trilogy and the things that followed will slowly fade into obscurity while they try their best to ignore something they love dying in front of them. In other words: Business as usual.

2: Disney is going to make it good enough that Star Wars will once again have a chance of life without the life-support.

Of course,I really don't know which will happen.

• Brohoof 1

Well, in my eyes, I really don't see anything wrong here. They'll just make Star Wars movies featuring Disney characters or something. I'm not that big of a fan of the trilogy, but I'd probably give anything that they make out of this a try. I mean, just look at The Avengers. But I could be wrong.

So, apparently, Star Wars 7 is going to be made by Disney. This is all part of them buying out LucasFilm from George Lucas for $4.05 billion. The film is supposed to come out some time in 2015.....opinions?

the full article is here:

http://updates.gizmodo.com/post/34651939288/disney-buys-lucasfilm-will-make-star-wars-freaking-7?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Oh no.

Nothing is safe from disney.

Not even star-wars.

My opinion? i'll give it a shot, though i don't have high hopes for it.

On another note, i'll be hiding in my closet until disney dies.

EDIT: instead of jumping to conclusions, i decided to ACTUALLY read the article.

You know what, this actually seems pretty cool, as long as they introduce another story.

Edited by LightRaider

This can basically be found on another topic posted on here. If there is any difference between this one and the other one, please excuse my lack of noticing details.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/37515-star-wars-is-now-part-of-disney/page__st__20#entry884990

But to give my opinion, the only thing that I am feeling is anticipation. Disney has made some flops, and some great ones, so who can tell?

Disney ARE making the sequel for the Avengers, so I guess that they want complete control over the world by trying to buy the rights for everything want to help the franchises out a bit gain profits for themselves.

Though I don't think they'll mess it up. I just can't think of Star Wars being a Disney Film... I dunno, but I hope the new trilogy will be about the rebuilding of the republic, and I also hope the original actors for Luke, Leia, and Han will make cameos. Like Luke in episode 7 or 9 hands down his lightsaber to the next one in line. Either that or a new Jedi Council.

Posted Image

To be honest, I don't even like Star Wars, but I just have this feeling that what makes Star Wars great to the fans will get ruined by Disney. We've all seen it happen too much to too many different things.

• Brohoof 1

They'd better succeed in making one hell of a film. They have some big shoes to fill. At the very least, they're going to have to impress. And that's only the bare minimum. There will be a giant uproar if this movie isn't on par with the original three.

Star Wars. Disney. Bought. Disney bought Star Wars.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeR6uYxU50

I thought the funeral was done already. Did they dig my childhood back up and kill it again?

EDIT: Wait, it's right before Halloween! Hahaha, you almost got me there! Scare prank, right? RIGHT?

Edited by Aquila
  • Brohoof 1

'Star Wars 7 by Disney!? O_O' has been merged into 'Star Wars is now a Part of Disney', as they're the same topic. Also, this topic has been moved to Media Discussion, from General Discussion.

All my nope. Star Wars had a good, long run. Go be creative and make more new movies Disney, don't buy a franchise and rehash/continue it, is my view, even if they do manage to pull off a decent job.

Star Wars is now part of Disney...

Posted Image

I am sadden to hear this. Disney is good with their own original stuff so why in the world would George Lucas the mastermind behind Star Wars give it over to Disney?! I mean i am sorry but this seems like a really bad move...

At first I was confused and convinced that this was a very bad thing for the franchise, but the more I think about it, the more I think that it might actually be good. I think I'm actually pretty excited at the prospect of a seventh Star Wars film.

And let's be honest, the fact that George Lucas will have nothing to do with it might actually be an excellent thing. Lucas is great at creating a world and cultures and planets from scratch, but he's not so great at writing dialogues and a plot. The prequels were, let's face it, pretty mediocre, at least compared to the original trilogy. I have faith that Disney will be able to pull off something good. They definitely have the ability to do so, it just depends on how much time and money they want to invest in it. But I'm sure they'll do a good job. They did bring us The Avengers after all. Disney isn't all about Mickey Mouse and whatnot, you know? They can make a great movie, and I trust they will. As long as they try to make it more like the original trilogy rather than the prequels.

As for the movie itself, I guess it will be set after the events of episode VI. I guess it wouldn't make much sense making a pre-prequel haha! Still I wonder if we'll get to see Luke. Mark Hamill is now 61, so I guess they'll have to find a new actor. Unless they want to make it like a whole new generation after and we get to see Luke as an old jedi. That'd be kind of neat too actually! They say the film is meant to come out in 2015. I wonder if they'll make another trilogy or if it's going to be a stand-alone. Either way, I can't wait to see this!

• Brohoof 1

As for the movie itself, I guess it will be set after the events of episode VI. I guess it wouldn't make much sense making a pre-prequel haha! Still I wonder if we'll get to see Luke. Mark Hamill is now 61, so I guess they'll have to find a new actor. Unless they want to make it like a whole new generation after and we get to see Luke as an old jedi. That'd be kind of neat too actually! They say the film is meant to come out in 2015. I wonder if they'll make another trilogy or if it's going to be a stand-alone. Either way, I can't wait to see this!

Actually they have done alot of expanded universe stuff that takes place before even episode 1 much of it set in the Old Republic Era which is 4000 years before the movies, with all the potential they could easily do a prequel trilogy just on that. They could also do one on any of the Great Jedi Schisms or the Force Wars of Tython.

I am exited about this. as a Star Wars fan I hated what Lucus was doing to Star Wars. Disney has said they will make a Star Wars movie every 2 or 3 years. Also Disney has proven they can make amazing movies with the Marvel movies.

All my nope. Star Wars had a good, long run. Go be creative and make more new movies Disney, don't buy a franchise and rehash/continue it, is my view, even if they do manage to pull off a decent job.

I'd just like to point out that Disney didn't just come out and say, "Hey! We're gonna make another trilogy just to milk the franchise even more! Gahahaha!"

Ever since the production of A New Hope, George Lucas had envisioned 3 trilogies of the Star Wars franchise in general. The prequel trilogy (I-III), the original trilogy (IV-VI), and the sequel trilogy (VII-IX) were all pre-planned and originally all had sketchy script outlines written by Lucas himself. One of the movies in the sequel trilogy was going to focus on the Droids specifically with virtually no interaction with the main characters. Another idea was to just have the movies focus on the Wookies. Even a screenplay was written that Luke actually had another unknown sister that was the head of a radical space militia. All of these ideas bit the dust and Lucas rewrote some scripts to just fit in with the whole "Skywalker" arc that focuses on the fates of Anakin and Luke.

When Lucas got done with the original trilogy, bare in mind that it took nearly 10 years for the whole 3 movies to be completed, and Lucas was suffering from burnout/exhaustion. It wouldn't be until the 90's until Lucas actually had the energy to go back to the big screen and produce the prequel trilogy episodes. However, episodes I-II are considered by Star Wars fans and even general audiences to be the worst episodes in the entire Star Wars franchises, just because of cheesy plot twists, dialogue, and JAR JAR BINKS. Lucas was so worried that any future installment would damage the reputation on the franchise, so he was VERRRRRY hesitant to even product Revenge of the Sith. Luckily, when he finally got done with Episode III, it was the best episode critically received of the entire prequel trilogy.

Again, the prequel trilogy took roughly 10 years to edit the scripts and finish filming, a heavy toll on Lucas and his company. And with Episodes I-II considered to be the weakest points in the franchise, Lucas, not surprisingly, was now very anal about not making 3 more episodes. Here's a quote from a recent interview from him:

In 2012, as part of an interview with The New York Times, discussing negative fan reactions to the prequel trilogy and to alterations made to the original trilogy, Lucas said, regarding further Star Wars films: "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?

Now, with Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilms, it makes since that Lucas' company now has the energy to have a sequel trilogy made, what with the success of the Cartoon Network show Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Younger generations are getting more and more hyped for more Star Wars features and that's what Lucasfilms was looking for. It's a very strategic move.

So, bottom line, don't blame Disney for "planning" more Star Wars movies. Lucas planned to have 9 movies from the start.

EDIT: Disney didn't screw around with the production of the Marvel movies The Avengers and Thor, now did they? At least have some faith in them before passing judgment. :P

Edited by Sephiroth
  • Brohoof 1