Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Rumor] Disney to be Ruler of Equestria?

Strife

Again, a lot of you are giving out unfair bias to a company that has been producing quality material as of late. The only reason people seem to dislike Disney is because of either the Disney Channel or the early 2000's films they released, which haters simply need to LET GO. Either way, Disney would most certainly not dumb down any of the so-called "writing material" that makes MLP: FiM worthwhile. Like I've said a dozen times, when Disney bought out Pixar and Marvel, they left the companies go with their own separate policies and did not butt into any of their productions, because Disney knows that they need more of an older demographic while at the same time focusing on their target audience. No, not little children, but FAMILIES. That was Walt's original intention, plain and simple.

How do you guys explain some of Disney's other "darker" films as well, including The Black Cauldron, The Rescuers Down Under, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and Brother Bear? Obviously, Disney sometimes likes to go in a more dramatic and serious route to convey a storyline rather than just fill the storyline with childish humor and "cutesy wutesy" elements. You guys really have to give Disney some credit, they have stayed consistent when it came to targeting both children and adults.

Just like I'm sure Disney will give the current Lucasfilms staff total control of the new Star Wars movies, they would most certaintly keep the material of MLP: FiM the same as well. They obviously would know it's a total cash cow, and changing the whole concept of the franchise would surely make Bronies pissed and the show would lose all support.

EDIT: I wouldn't even care if Disney stopped Bronies from making Brony music, MLP fan games, shipping fan fics, etc. I could pretty much do without those and still enjoy the quality of the show just the same.

Edited by AegisReflector
  • Brohoof 3

If this happens, Disney will get a visit from an unhappy brony

I'd watch for as long as I could. But the moment they put humans in, I'm leaving. (The show at least) Just so long as the fandom stays the same, I'd be happy to stay on sites like this one.

But disney is already damaging the star wars fandom! Sign Here to combat! We need to fight to save our fandom and everything in it!

Oh heavens no. If that happens, just ugh. I cannot imagine any of the ponies being disney princesses. Especially Dash. If they lay a finger on the show man, I'll be pissed.

Posted Image

Pic related, it's my answer in a nutshell.

Even Disney dosen't change anything in the show that could still be bad news, Disney is one of the worst companies when it comes to "copywrite infringement" so alot of great parody and tribute videos would be taken down from youtube simply on those grounds which is extremely foolish because those helped increase awareness of the show and expand the fanbase.

I think I've made up my mind.

Okay I'll be honest, Disney needs to fall. Needs to fall hard, I still have bad feelings on where Star Wars is going to be taken, afraid that it will be watered down and we'll never see anything good from it like Battlefront, any shooter Star Wars, or Jedi Knight games.

It's become a monopoly now. And I don't f#king want family friendly entertainment. Not. One. Bit.

For Star Wars, for Ponies.

• Brohoof 1

one of the biggest things that will change is that any posting of episodes on youtube will be counted as plagiarism and be taken down. idk about the rest of you but youtube is where i tend to watch MLP so that would be bad

Same here, I don't have TV so I don't get to watch them there, I am forced to youtube. Hulu doesn't carry it, and Netflix is just getting season 1 in.

You know, if possible Disney might just keep the same people working on/writing the show. I mean "If it ain't broke don't fix it" there are directions it could go that aren't terrible. Besides, until Disney actually buys Hasbro I'm not going to worry about it. All this chicken little behavior "Disney will kill the show" "The fandom is dying" " they're going to cancel the show since they're shortening the seasons" doesn't get us anywhere ultimately. Besides, what would Disney have to gain from dumbing down the show anyway? From what I've heard it's plenty popular with the target audience as it is so what possible motivation is there to deliberately make it less accessible to us and piss off a chunk of the fanbase? I'm not without my own worries about this myself but I'm going to try to keep calm

Even Disney dosen't change anything in the show that could still be bad news, Disney is one of the worst companies when it comes to "copywrite infringement" so alot of great parody and tribute videos would be taken down from youtube simply on those grounds which is extremely foolish because those helped increase awareness of the show and expand the fanbase.

Again, though, while companies such as Disney might be really greedy bastards and are actually stupid enough not to realize that fan creations for a show is actually free advertising, how would this overall affect the quality of the show? If Disney promised not to make any drastic changes to the show in exchange for not having MLP content on Youtube pop up, I would be more than happy to still support the show in any way possible, because it's not the FAN CREATIONS that got me hooked to the show, it was the show itself, which just so happened to be widespread at the time in my high school.

How do you guys think cult classics like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone got famous? Obviously not Internet, wasn't invented yet. It goes to show you that if a fanbase stays perfectly strong and the show still delivers the same kind of style that fans are used to, then the show would still be at the top of it's quality. Who needs fan parodies and music anyways? Yes, it's fun, and the people who create them are talented, but come on, the show itself is why I stick to the fandom.

It's become a monopoly now. And I don't f#king want family friendly entertainment. Not. One. Bit.

Again, completely ignore Disney buying Marvel and having them distribute The Avengers, one of the greatest movies of all time, without them editing any sort of material to make it "a family film".

Edited by AegisReflector

Yes, it's fun, and the people who create them are talented, but come on, the show itself is why I stick to the fandom.

Well, sad to say you're a minority. The fanbase's incredible fan created content is something that has driven the fanbase to evolve and expand, and without it, this fanbase wouldn't be anything like what it is, even with the show itself being as good as it is. Disney would probably do just fine in all respects, except for the fact they're copyright nazis, and all that creativity could be stifled beyond measure. You may not care, but it's a beloved part of this fanbase's own culture and spirit.

• Brohoof 2

I am on the fence about this. On one hand, Hasbro is doing a fantastic job with the show. Everything is perfect the way it is. However, as stated before, Hasbro kills off their shows relatively quickly so that they can reincarnate them in a few years. On the other hand, Disney's quality has dropped in my opinion. The writers for their television shows are awful, with the exception of Gravity Falls, which does have some questionable scripts at some points. Disney also has a tendency to milk the crap out of it's serieses.

All in all, I think I'd rather have Hasbro end it all after something early like 3 or 4 seasons with hope of a great reincarnation in 5 years rather than see Disney ruin the writing, milk it, and effectively ruin everything I love about the it.

Well, sad to say you're a minority. The fanbase's incredible fan created content is something that has driven the fanbase to evolve and expand, and without it, this fanbase wouldn't be anything like what it is, even with the show itself being as good as it is. Disney would probably do just fine in all respects, except for the fact they're copyright nazis, and all that creativity could be stifled beyond measure. You may not care, but it's a beloved part of this fanbase's own culture and spirit.

I must be a minority too. I still think that the art and music and fan fiction is incredible (Fallout Equestria, anyone?) but I'm really in it for the show itself. If the show ended, I'd stick around to be with all my friends in the fandom but if they left too I just might make my departure :/

I'm gonna be here for a LOOOOOOONG time though xD

Edited by Twiliscael

But fan-fics would be in danger by disney's over-protectiveness

I say, all who oppose us losing the fandom sign http://www.change.or...treat-fans-okay. The fandom would be in a very dangerous situation and it seems their is a good chance disney would try rip apart our hard fan work.

I don't see how the fan-fics would be affected. But if they are, I might just go with that first option. As of right now reading MLP fan-fics is the most enjoyable thing I do, other then videogames and random internet browsing. If when Disney ever takes over MLP, and it affects the fan-fics, I will be very pissed. I don't know what I'd do, but I would be very pissed.

Truthfully, the incredibly creative fan base is part of why I stay with and love this show so much. I mean, the episodes themselves are great, yeah, but so is what springs from it. I love watching all the new MLP: FiM stuff on YouTube, especially when I've just re-watched my favorite episodes and even more especially if I'm waiting for another season. I don't want that taken away by Disney.

Jeez. This rumor (and almost everyone freaking out about it) is beginning to slightly scare me. .__.

If Disney keeps buying up other franchises/companies, then at this rate, people are going to look at them like they're some kind of monopoly-thing.

Besides, from what I've heard, (and bare in mind this is probably rumor, too) the only reason they bought Marvel and Star Wars (or that Lucasfilm thing-whatever) was because they are just trying to get a male audience. They got females pretty good with the teeny-bopper shows and princesses stuff.

And besides that, what would be the point of buying Hasbro? They're mostly a toy company. And Disney themselves already produce pretty good toys (probably a tad better than Hasbro's, but that's a different can of worms.)

Ehh... I really hope this is just some rumor. It's really starting to give me chills... and not in a good way. .___.

Star Wars has a solid fanbase including over a length of 30+ years and they have had not NEARLY enough parodies and fan created content as MLP: FiM has generated in less than 3 years. The Brony fanbase has been one of the most explosive when it comes to fan created content, which, to me, can be quite disorientating after a while. I'm not dissing any fan who creates original content for the franchise, but to me, it simply is not what I look for when it comes for me to find ways to like the show even more. It's the show itself. The show is the center of everything, and I take it to heart. All the characters personalities are traced to that show, while some fan creations (like "Cupcakes") like to ruin that kind of connection and make it all "grimdark". I honestly thought it was an interesting take, and actually really hilarious, but that story doesn't make me like the show more. It would be like me being a Trekkie just because some nerd did an entire remix of the classical Star Trek soundtrack using FL Studio's electronica beats. It would have no meaning being a Trekkie. Maybe you don't agree with me, and yeah, I'm difficult when it comes to this stuff, but it's my own personal opinion.

But the truth of the matter is that people in this topic are being very hostile towards Disney over practically nothing. You guys wish to practice love and tolerance? Try and start with having faith with Disney and trusting them to do the right thing. If they don't give us what we want, then fine, protest all you want. I'm just saying that you shouldn't be unfair to a company that hasn't even BOUGHT THE FRANCHISE yet.

EDIT: I had a long day, sorry for any typos lol.

Edited by AegisReflector
  • Brohoof 2

Disney needs to die. Their empire is too big. Although in time I'm sure it'll collapse under its own weight, that time in-between is going to be a *****. Taking over ponies might even cause mass-suicide to all those very-hardcore pony lovers. What would you do if you lived because ponies, and then suddenly anything related to ponies on the internet got removed.

Ok. Personally, I'm not as deep in the fandom as many of you so if the show leaves, I might not give as many damns as the rest of you but seriously. You guys are WAY too paranoid. I've seen people say the Disney ruined/will ruin Star Wars.

CALM THE FLUX DOWN! THE NEXT MOVIE IS 2 YEARS AWAY!

As for the mane 6 being princesses, it's like saying that everybody here is a brony! It's a title! Say Rainbow Dash is a princess. That won't change who she is and what she does! In fact, that would make her a badass princess!

There is one huge problem I have with this and that is how they would control the show. As we all know, hasbro has been pretty laid back in what can be in the show. There is cartoon violence, call each other names and "swearing" for pete's sake.

If Disney were to own hasbro. They might not be so relax. They might make it "Safe for kids. Also known as, boring. :(

I must say I agree completely with this. I don't think Disney is all that bad, I love their movies. Sometimes Disney has messed things up, but when it comes to the good stuff, Disney is well-played.

however, Disney and MLP:Fim? Not a chance. I can imagine the series now...

Twilight: Hey Pinkie! Let's have a tea party!

Pinkie: A goody! I love pink. Do you love pink?

Twilight: Why yes a do. Will you comb my shiny hair?

I mean, it'll be ridiculous. Disney will screw it up in some way. They'll make it all cheesy and cliche', just like the old ponies were. Disney better not, they've already got plenty of things on their hands anyways. I would seriously hate to see one of my favorite shows being destroyed like that. I'd be even scared to see what horrible changes Disney would bring onto the show.

Posted Image

I mean, as much as I love Disney, their not messing with my ponies anytime soon. Plus, I think we'll have a lot of angry bronies if it does happen.

Won't happen. Hasbro would never sell themselves now when they've gotten so much attention. Also I think this whole thing is made up

btw disney if you fuck up star wars..

I still have respect for disney. BUT IF THEY FUCK UP STAR WARS....

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

I honestly just can't believe that most of the complaints on here are that Disney will make the show all baby-like and cute while there are recent films and cartoons such as Gravity Falls that easily can expand on the humor/material that is introduced in FiM.

I might be a big fan of Disney's work, but I'm not just blindly defending them. A lot of the complaints on here just don't make any sense if you have seen any recent Disney material over the past 3-4 years now.

Edited by AegisReflector

Again, though, while companies such as Disney might be really greedy bastards and are actually stupid enough not to realize that fan creations for a show is actually free advertising, how would this overall affect the quality of the show?

Unfortunetly Disney and most other media companies are so out of touch with their audience that they have become their own worst enemy by making some extremely stupid mistakes in recent years. And one of those mistakes is to mindlessly go after anyone posting any content that "belongs to them" even when it is supposed to be protect by fair use laws.

There have been several examples where fan art and fan facs have had an influence on the show, I am not saying it has completely cause the show to do a 180 or anything like that or that they are going out of their way to please bronies but it is clear that they are listening to us. Derpy is a good example of this, Derpys crossed eyed appearance was originally an animation mistake but she became very popular and was named Derpy by the fans which is a name that carried over onto the show. This did change due to fears that some people might be offended which I believe was a mistake but I will mention more on that later.

If Disney promised not to make any drastic changes to the show in exchange for not having MLP content on Youtube pop up, I would be more than happy to still support the show in any way possible, because it's not the FAN CREATIONS that got me hooked to the show, it was the show itself, which just so happened to be widespread at the time in my high school.

Yes we all love the show, that is why we are all here but the fans have done some great work. I have never seen any fandom inspire the kind of creativity I have seen from the brony community it is truly some inspiring stuff.

How do you guys think cult classics like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone got famous? Obviously not Internet, wasn't invented yet. It goes to show you that if a fanbase stays perfectly strong and the show still delivers the same kind of style that fans are used to, then the show would still be at the top of it's quality. Who needs fan parodies and music anyways? Yes, it's fun, and the people who create them are talented, but come on, the show itself is why I stick to the fandom.

True, but the internet can help I have seen several examples of shows which had some great potential but never took off because nobody knew they even existed but have established a cult following in part because of the internet.

Again, completely ignore Disney buying Marvel and having them distribute The Avengers, one of the greatest movies of all time, without them editing any sort of material to make it "a family film".

I am not ignoring that by any means, but I am just a little more uneasy about the possibility of them buying Hasbro simply because it is a lot easier to screw up My Little Pony then the Avengers.

*sigh* If Disney buys Hasbro...Then...Then Posted ImageI highly doubt that Disney would even conciser the Brony fandom, they would just try to appeal to the younger audience. Hasbro is doing so well! I don't think they'll sell their souls to Mickey Mouse. Edited by SmileForever^.^

Unfortunetly Disney and most other media companies are so out of touch with their audience that they have become their own worst enemy by making some extremely stupid mistakes in recent years. And one of those mistakes is to mindlessly go after anyone posting any content that "belongs to them" even when it is supposed to be protect by fair use laws.

There have been several examples where fan art and fan facs have had an influence on the show, I am not saying it has completely cause the show to do a 180 or anything like that or that they are going out of their way to please bronies but it is clear that they are listening to us. Derpy is a good example of this, Derpys crossed eyed appearance was originally an animation mistake but she became very popular and was named Derpy by the fans which is a name that carried over onto the show. This did change due to fears that some people might be offended which I believe was a mistake but I will mention more on that later.

Still wouldn't make any difference. If Disney retained all the cast, the characters' personalities, the writers, and even the same animators, then what exactly in the show got changed? Other than the fact that Disney's name is slapped on the title, virtually nothing. I'd rather watch it on the Hub rather than not watch it at all. Do you remember a time when there was no Internet for free streaming? I do too, and I can instantly live without it. Plus, there's Disney On Demand and other services from Disney that offer show airings on cable and satellite so you can get all the ponies there, plus on Netflix.

If Hasbro is now suddenly hiring Bronies to do some of the work on the show as well, then I really don't see any problem with Bronies' influences still becoming prevalent on the show. Yes, Derpy was a great reference, but that shouldn't be the whole basis on a Brony liking the show or not. Original storylines, character development, and lush animation should be the only things that a fan should truly get as a work of art, not just milking the franchise for more fan creations.

ALSO, READ THIS IMPORTANT TIDBIT ABOUT DISNEY AND FAN CREATIONS: Back in 2007-2008, Sega unleashed a flurry of lawsuits over meme sites such as YTMND, 4chan, and CollegeHumor because they had created parodies of Sonic without any official confirmation from Sega. Sega lost their lawsuits by a landslide because so many Sonic fan creations have been made that it would be merely impossible to take all of them down. Once they are on the internet in a million-amount, there's really nothing they can do up to that point. Sega then stopped trying, which is why sites like info.sonicretro.org have been able to keep all their material.

Same deal goes with Disney. In order for them to fully gain access to every FiM fan creation would simply be impossible, because there's a lot of shit that would have to be moderated and taken down. Plus, I'm sure Anonymous would do their thing, unleash a protest or DDoS attack on Disney's servers, etc. to keep that from happening. It happened when the SOPA and PIPA bill didn't pass, whose to say it couldn't happen again? But, the point is, many legal loopholes protect you guys from ever having Disney censor all your hard work. I'm literally saying that the whole Brony fanbase is getting up in arms over nothing. Take a deep breath.

Yes we all love the show, that is why we are all here but the fans have done some great work. I have never seen any fandom inspire the kind of creativity I have seen from the brony community it is truly some inspiring stuff.

Yes, but the OC's don't make me like the show. The show makes me like the show. These creations are nothing more than parody and re-imagining and unfortunately doesn't make me have stronger feelings for it. Like I said, I am not a fond fan of licensing or milking the series via FORCED MEMES!!!!! because I sort of think that loses the show's connection with it's original intentions. Like I said, I am in no way dissing other people's works. I have found many original creations to be quite fascinating and nicely done. It just doesn't pressure me into more heavy feelings poured towards the show itself.

True, but the internet can help I have seen several examples of shows which had some great potential but never took off because nobody knew they even existed but have established a cult following in part because of the internet.

You missed my point though. Even if MLP:FiM has it's fan creations censored, there's still a shitton of support from the community that really make the show what it is. I'm sure BronyCon's would still be allowed just like how Star War Cons are still going to be supported by Disney. And the intent was to show you that the Internet doesn't always influence a show's rise to dominance. Take Family Guy for example. It was cancelled after it's third season but thanks to DVD SALES it's now one of the dominant cash cows out there.

I am not ignoring that by any means, but I am just a little more uneasy about the possibility of them buying Hasbro simply because it is a lot easier to screw up My Little Pony then the Avengers.

Joel Schumacher screwed up the Batman franchise with Batman and Robin. I'm pretty sure Disney could screw up The Avengers any time they wanted to, but guess what? They didn't, because they kept loyal to all the Marvel fans waiting anxiously for the best movie of the year to come out.

Edited by AegisReflector
  • Brohoof 1

I'm really not ok with this. Even though it's only a rumor, I still don't like it :mellow: Say goodbye to all fan content and watching episodes on Youtube if this happens!

I'm not entirely sure it would be legal either. If they bought Hasbro, wouldn't they technically become a monopoly? (they kind of are already, but whatever).