Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Rumor] Disney to be Ruler of Equestria?

Strife

Eh, I wouldn't say I'm worried. I don't think the show would get hurt from Hasbro getting bought by Disney.

Disney isn't stupid you know. They KNOW that bronies will have the kind of reactions people in this thread have now like "Oh god this is going to ruin the show". They aren't stupid enough to ruin the show because of that. They will most likely let it be as it is - why change what's working?

Who knows, it might even make the show better but of course we wouldn't know that either and it would all come down to opinion.

I think the biggest problem with Disney buying Hasbro is people making a fuss about it.

To all Kingdom Hearts speculation: Not only would Square Enix would have to approve the use of MLP/Marvel/Lucasfilms characters in the games, but royalties would have to be compromised, which is something neither SE or Disney want to deal with. I'd say they are just going to add new wholly-owned Disney characters and leave all the other subsidiaries out of it.

Also, again, people still claiming that Disney only makes children's movies. That's just ignorance.

Posted Image

Okay guys, let's do some serious picturing. So they have a Cinderella castle in most Disneylands, right? Okay, so picture this. A big Canterlot castle. In Disneyland. With people dressed as ponies, as well as Mickey Mouse and co.

You guys need to think happy! Optimism! *Floats away on a rainbow.*

• Brohoof 1

so it looks like i was the one to ask hasbro about this. i made an account and used the online chat to ask is disney would be buying hasbro, and i got this:

"It's great to hear of your interest in regarding that status of Disney and Hasbro but at this time, Disney will not be purchasing or acquiring Hasbro. "

so that means that the rumors are false, luckily for me and the rest of the brony community. i actually lost sleep over it last night XD

"It's great to hear of your interest in regarding that status of Disney and Hasbro but at this time, Disney will not be purchasing or acquiring Hasbro. "

That just means that they are still under negotiations and maybe planning some sort of contract agreement. Like I said, these things just don't happen over night.

That just means that they are still under negotiations and maybe planning some sort of contract agreement. Like I said, these things just don't happen over night.

i asked again and they said flat-out that disney will not be purchasing hasbro. i just wanted to make sure ^_^

it's very fortunate that disney will not be purchasing hasbro, they would have owned ponies AND beyblade

i asked again and they said flat-out that disney will not be purchasing hasbro. i just wanted to make sure ^_^

it's very fortunate that disney will not be purchasing hasbro, they would have owned ponies AND beyblade

AGAIN, though, just because they said that Disney will not be purchasing Hasbro doesn't mean anything. If they are still negotiating then obviously they are still talking about it.

That's basically what happened with the merger of Square and Enix. Enix was strongly defensive about any takeover from Square, and when the rumors turned out that Square and Enix were in talks of a possible merger, Enix kept on denying everything, even to the most reliable sources. But, now we have Square Enix. Anything can happen with just a quick signature. They probably just don't want this to turn public yet.

Edited by AegisReflector

:facehoof:

seriously.... can people start using there heads rather then whine and panic.

Disney can't buy out Hasbro and i don't think they would negotiate MLP

keep in mind MLP is now one of the best things they have now Hasbro arn't dumb enough to let it go, however i would believe that Disney is looking closely at it all tho but they just blew 4 billion on star wars because its star wars worth it.... MLP not worth a damn thing to them.

now i could very well be wrong, Disney could very well get the right to MLP.

it wouldn't be that bad for one they would not like change anything until we hit G5 so we can never be certain about the quality, (the same can be said for season 3 atm, it could suck balls for all we know).

there is only one truly bad think that would come from all this..... Disney love to sue for copy right so there would be no way to watch MLP online (even tho they have more channels and would be able to air even more)

so for the love of Celestia at least think on both sides there are just as many good thing as there are capabilities for bad things. just have faith rather then whining like children.

now if you don't mind I now have a concussion to recover from.

No. This cannot be! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh...

On-topic: I hate disney with every fiber of my being. Disney being involved with anything by Hasbro will most likely end in disaster. Granted this is all speculation on both sides and they may not even be negotiating (false hope FTW), but if they are and things go through... Let's just say that I hope that Pixar people are more involved with it if disney decides to screw with it. The thought of disney meddling with something I like is just horrifying tbh.

• Brohoof 1

so it looks like i was the one to ask hasbro about this. i made an account and used the online chat to ask is disney would be buying hasbro, and i got this:

so that means that the rumors are false, luckily for me and the rest of the brony community. i actually lost sleep over it last night XD

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that since they may just be giving diss-information to "sedate" worries, then say "Surprised, we lied. We are going through with the deal between us and Disney."

However, that isn't to say it will go through since the deal could fall flat. Whenever you make a business deal it comes down to very strict criteria on both parties to make sure the other is compensated + feels comfortable.

Only thing that is certain right now is Disney bought Lucas Arts and paid ol' George in Disney stock. At the moment, Disney is valued at $56 billion *going off numbers I got from various places so not exact* and i'm betting they have to recoup the $4 billion they spent to purchase Lucas Arts.

Hasbro is roughly worth $4 billion, so for Disney to go out and outright buy another company at $4 billion will be extremely strenuous on their monetary earnings.

What could "Plausibly" happen is a sort of licensing deal where certain proprietary copyrights are allowed to be used by Disney. If that deal seems profitable then Hasbro will give more leeway. It's not out of the question for Hasbro to be bought out, though I am finding more and more doubtful the more information I find.

• Brohoof 1

... not gonna happen.... stop getting all paranoid before I make my head explode from face hoofing.

it seems some people seem to forget how big Hasbro is, they won't be bought out so easily, and remember Lucas let Star Wars go because he wasn't gonna do anything with it and he just wanted more money (4 billion).

Three years ago, they bought Marvel for a similar amount (it might've been less, but it was in the billions). So I'd say that there could be up to 3 years before anything definitive happens. But Disney could very well buy Hasbro. When they bought Lucasfilm, it took six months from the time talks began to seal the deal. When they bought Marvel, it took almost that much time too (I think it was 8 months from the time talks began there).

I don't think Hasbro's as out of reach as people seem to think they are, and believe me, I hate to say it because I don't want it to happen either. Bear in mind, Hasbro owns the licenses to the toys and table-top games for Marvel and Lucasfilm products. So from a business perspective, this is a logical step to take. Or at the very least, getting the rights to those products is the next step.

Regardless of what happens, I can almost guarantee that FiM wouldn't be affected, if for no other reason than the fact that it's a successful cartoon. Steven Bochco once said, 'The absolute worst thing you can do in Entertainment is leave a successful show'.

Edited by SBaby

I agree if this was to go down it would only start to rely show around 2015- 2016 which would likely be G5 (G4 would likely be over by then)

also Disney doesn't own Marvel just Marvel studios the only thing that have to do with the comics is the fact the some times the movie drive the comics to change.

honestly i'm just sick of the "I hate Disney" BS that gets spouted out by whiny fanboys yeah there are reasons to dislike the company at times but not hate. people need to stop over reacting before i end up cracking my skull via face hoof

also i find it funny how bronies can go up in arms about idea for a equestria theme park that will never happen, but the possibility of Equestria in Disney land send them into fits of butt hurt.

Edited by - Elusive -

Even if Disney buys Hasbro, it may not affect day-to-day operations on the ground. Unless Disney micromanages its franchises, I suspect they would leave the various elements of Hasbro alone, concentrating instead mostly on marketing and licensing. The biggest blow might come in the form of videos on YouTube and other unlicensed content which Hasbro has thus far been kind enough not to pursue. But I doubt Disney would swoop in and totally suffocate the fandom.

MLP will likely endure untouched so long as Hasbro and its appropriate subsidiaries continue to profit from its success. Disney made a big deal out of the Star Wars franchise because it will likely be one of their largest cash cows alongside the Marvel movies. Re-arranging anything Star Wars related is going to make a splash. Unless MLP continues to grow at an unprecedented rate, I don't envision Disney execs deciding to alter the franchise in any significant or substantive manner.

But R2 has been known to be wrong... from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

the problem i see with it is that disney has overprotective copyright laws; that would mean that the youtube videos would be taken down and the fan content would be taken down. that could lead out to open war very angry bronies and disney wouldn't care

YOU ALREADY TOOK STARWARS AND SPIDERMAN! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!? WHAT MORE DO YOU WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?

Srsly though, if Disney touches my ponies, or my D&D, or my Magic, then I'm gonna... I'M GONNA... well I'm probably not gonna do anything, but you'll bet I'll sure be angry about it for quite a while.

Imma bet 50 bucks that in 100 years, the only two companies around will be Disney and Wal-Mart.

I don't think that Disney should become any bigger. I mean, i like disney, but i don't think they should buy every company that makes animations or comics like Marvel.

But just so you guys know... there were also rumors in 2010 that Disney would buy DC Comics and they are still own by Warner Time.

And Viacom probaly wouldn't like that idea either. They made the Transformer and G.I. Joe movies but if Disney buys Hasbro they would lose many money, so they would probaly try to stop it.

Also, Hasbro's earnings dropped 3.6% last quarter, so that means Disney will buy a company that's losing money.

So while i think it is a possibility that they have plans to buy Hasbro, i don't trust these rumors. But just so you know, This is just my opinion so i may be wrong.

Edited by MKT_707Z

You're serious? Thanks for doing that actually, I was considering doing it myself yesterday but I was far too lazy.

Well I suppose that's a bit reassuring. That would point to:

A: The deal might or will be made, but not for a while, like a year or two. Ergo, 'at this time'.

B: The negotiations are not about buying Hasbro entirely, but are only about buying their Star Wars and Transformers rights, since that's what Disney wants after buying out Marvel and such.

• Brohoof 1

YOU ALREADY TOOK STARWARS AND SPIDERMAN! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!? WHAT MORE DO YOU WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?

Srsly though, if Disney touches my ponies, or my D&D, or my Magic, then I'm gonna... I'M GONNA... well I'm probably not gonna do anything, but you'll bet I'll sure be angry about it for quite a while.

Imma bet 50 bucks that in 100 years, the only two companies around will be Disney and Wal-Mart.

Disney don't have spider-man for anything other then the animation rights Sony has the movie right and Marvel for the comic

so unless you talking about that god awful ultimate spider-man series then i feel your pain. Sony are to blame for the shitty movie and the comics are doing fine as long as there is no more alpha.

No.. I really hope this is just a rumor.

I don't want them touching my little pony or dungeons and dragons... But I don't really see what they can do to MTG...

That's it. I think this rumor is fake. But if it gets confirmed, I'm calling in anonymous. This empire is getting to big for it's own good. What was once an excellent company is now a cruel empire.

I do not want this to happen at all, and I pray that it is just a rumor. Disney will take down way too much stuff for copyright infringement, whether it be official or fan made. I don't have access to The Hub, so I rely on the internet to get my pony fix. I'm worried that they'll try to take that away from me. And you can't say I haven't supported this franchise, there's a reason I chose "The Collector" as my user title.

I thought Discord screwed things up. this is terrible! if Disney buys Hasbro, then how else am I going to watch the series? true it might be on Disney Channel, but what about The Hub? What's going to happen to them? Disney. I got one thing to say to you: they are MY little ponies, so don't fix something that isn't broken.