75 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Opinion? Amazing opening to Season 3 in my opinion

Only problem of course was the villian. Sombra rarely had any lines or anything to do in the episode really. He looks evil and badass but sadly all he did was just growl, look evil, scare ponies, and that was it and then he was defeated

He's not a bad villain! Its just a case of wasted potential that wasn't taken advantage of, even so loving Season 3!

• Brohoof 2

Wait why doesn't she just teleport?

I thought about this too but perhaps she needs to know where she is going to teleport to it. Since she wasn't exactly sure where the end destination was, how could she safely teleport there?
  • Brohoof 2

As has been pointed out, Sombra was a poorly developed character. I understand that information is limited from the collective amnesia, but I still hate the fact that, even after ponies start remembering, we learn nothing about the crystal empire.

Again, there are many questions to be answered.

How and why did Sombra take power?

What was the empire's relationship with Equestria?

Why the hell is it called an empire?

What external threats is the crystal heart needed to protect against now that Sombra's gone? And before he arrived, what was its purpose?

This is my least favorite of the two-part episodes.

It did, however, start setting up stuff for Twilight's future. When the 1080p stream comes on Youtube I'll look to see if I can find anything on the cover of the book Luna was holding at the end.

• Brohoof 3

I thought about this too but perhaps she needs to know where she is going to teleport to it. Since she wasn't exactly sure where the end destination was, how could she safely teleport there?

when in doubt, Leroy Jenkins

THAT

WAS

Posted Image

Animation was freakishly good, Spike singing is a plus. Nonetheless action packed and very witty as usual. The jokes were great Boy, I cant say enough, and I won't.

Anyone else watch it on T.V? Anyone else see that gak thing 100 times?

Edited by WoonaMooves
  • Brohoof 2

I thought it was good, but a waste of a good villain.

Yeah. I'm placing him after Nightmare Moon. He at least managed to conquer the empire and make it disappear for 1000 years while NMM was knocked to the moon before anything could happen. Chrysalis infiltrated Canterlot, disabled its defenses, started the invasion and DEFEATED CELESTIA!

Discord managed to conquer EQUESTRIA! After he came back, he neutralized the elements one by one, the only things that could beat him!

Sombra had the looks of an awesome villain (voice could use more work) but only that.

It's very possible that the reason he didn't make much of an impact in the episode is because maybe he is going to be a villan through out the series? Not sure but it is a possibility, you are right that all the others had more time and Sombra wasn't very active. I think he might try going after the Mane 6 the rest of the season. Again just a thought

That was an amazing episode. Even if the villain was sub-par, the animation and music were just absolutely mindblowing. Seriously, the ending just left me speechless...

Though, it's not surprising, all the main villains seem to excel in one thing, but lack the other.

Nightmare Moon had the backstory,

Discord had the personality,

Chrysalis had the looks,

and Sombra had the power, which was undoubtedly his best quality.

Though the biggest surprising factor for me probably was the utilization of Sombra's shadow magic used by both Celestia and Twilight, and it's corroding effects.

what picture are you talking about?

Just search on Derpibooru. People argue about it all the time, whether it was shopped or not. Rustles alot of jimmies.

Here, http://derpiboo.ru/137547?scope=scpebb156aacc8d94e909d9c580807a03739d33330e1

Plenty more to find, just alot of unhappy people, I don't think it's true though, just a troll with photoshop.

Season 2 opener > Season 3 opener > Season 1 opener

Chrysalis > Discord > NightmareMoon > King Sombra

This was a pretty good episode to start us off.

Pinkie was hilarious as always. Being a spy and disguising like Fluttershy.

Probably do a review later.

• Brohoof 2

It did, however, start setting up stuff for Twilight's future. When the 1080p stream comes on Youtube I'll look to see if I can find anything on the cover of the book Luna was holding at the end.

a bunch of stars.........:blink: holy shit......they looked like twilights cutie mark! :o what does this mean?!

Overall the season 2 premiere far outweighed the season 3 premiere. Sombra was underdeveloped and had very little screen time. Other than that, the premiere felt a bit rushed but I don't really have any other complaints.

• Brohoof 1

So, time for me to put together a formal review, even though I'm still collecting my thoughts...

Plot: Adding a whole new sense of dimension to Equestria, with shadows of a long-forgotten empire in the frozen north? Excellent idea- they finally added in a main location other than Ponyville and Canterlot. Erasing the inhabitants' memories and thus giving them a depressed attitude? Check! A sense of urgency throughout the episode? Perfect. Like the S2 premiere before it, it managed to bring a dark atmosphere not often seen in children's shows to light. At points, you can really feel a sense of hopelessness creeping in.

Music: As usual, the songs were stellar, big kudos to the production team on this one! Ballad of the Crystal Ponies was perfectly executed, accompanied by the preparation montage. I'm gonna have to say that the Failure Success song didn't work out so well for me, though, with spike's singing voice and all. The reprise later was better, though.

Conflict: Are you kidding me? King Sombra could have been built into such an excellent villain, maybe even rivaling Discord, but they botched it. He's way too one-dimensional, pretty much reduced to laughing maniacally and trying to reclaim the crystal empire. Even cheesier than Nightmare Moon, in my opinion. His only shining moment was the doorway, and he didn't even really plan that one.

Now, of course, we still need arbitrary ratings, so here we go!

Plot: 8.5/10

Music: 9/10

Conflict: 5/10

Overall: 7.5/10

• Brohoof 5

That wasn't a bad premiere at all...I'd just be hard pressed to say it was great. I liked the story and the more epic feel, the Crystal Empire was very well designed and Spike saving the day at the end was perfect. His character is quite a bit cooler now.

On the other hand, we didn't find out much about the Empire and learned almost nothing about King Sombra. He just hung around, laughed evilly and got killed. All they needed to do was cut down on some of the schmoozing the other ponies did at the fair to fit in a scene where Sombra talks to Twi in the crystal prison so we know who he is and exactly what kind of threat he presents. Too bad... :huh:

Good stuff on the whole, though. Can't wait to see what they've got for us next week.

• Brohoof 3

Gak gak gak! Gak is back! And it's gakkitty gak gak gakkin' than gak is gakka gak!!!

*ahem* What I mean is, that was a nice episode. Not quite as epic as I thought it would be, but certainly not a disappointing one. :)

• Brohoof 2

and Sombra had the power, which was undoubtedly his best quality.

Though the biggest surprising factor for me probably was the utilization of Sombra's shadow magic used by both Celestia and Twilight, and it's corroding effects.

Too bad that was his only quality that stuck out. His lust for power wasn't as interesting to behold unlike Chrysalis who's conviction was well-thought out and driven by her tyrannical personality.

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

All on one topic... holy sh... i dont even...

WOW! I'm so happy to see another new episode after so long. Sure, it isn't my favorite episode or anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the new episodes in the season :D

• Brohoof 3

Just search on Derpibooru. People argue about it all the time, whether it was shopped or not. Rustles alot of jimmies.

Here, http://derpiboo.ru/137547?scope=scpebb156aacc8d94e909d9c580807a03739d33330e1

Plenty more to find, just alot of unhappy people, I don't think it's true though, just a troll with photoshop.

its photoshopped I've seen that pic before without the wings

Gak Gak Gak aside, I certainly was not prepared for this episode. There were a couple of nice twists and turns in there; kept me on my seat the entire time, including the fact that Spike, not Twilight, delivered the crystal heart. I was always thinking that Twilight would find a way out and get the heart there herself.

I do agree that King Sombra was underutilized, but I never really cared for him the first time I saw him. Still, the threat of impending doom served its purpose.

Also: gravity spells. Try that, Trixie!

Edited by RagingTwilight
  • Brohoof 1

I still can't believe Twilight didn't teleport. She showed she was able to during her song and it was a long way to the bottom of the stairs. It was also a long way UP to the Crystal Heart. When she WAS at the Crystal Heart, she could've teleported there and to ground level to activate it.

• Brohoof 1

I fear for the series's longevity due to the season preview commercial, they make it sound as a potential series finale. The episode itself was slightly dissapointing it King Sombra's role but his death was cool. I did enjoy the two parter as a whole, 2 songs, well 2 and a refrain. That Fluttershy is a spy!

Don't forget though, GAK GAK GAK GAK GAK

• Brohoof 1