music Favorite Christmas Songs

Carolina

So, it's getting to be that time of year again. November is almost over and people are starting to count down the shopping days til Christmas (unless of course, they started their shopping and preparation a few months early, in which case, freaks!) Normally hearing Christmas songs on the radio or at every store gets on my nerves (especially before December!), but I have to admit, there are a couple of holiday tunes I really like. In no particular order, these are:

1) "Silver Bells" - Christmastime in the city! Love the tune and love the atmosphere it invokes.

2) "What Child is This"/"Greensleeves" - I guess it isn't technically an Xmas song at all, so much as Greensleeves with words tacked on, but I have liked this one since I learned to play it on the piano. It was always a staple at every piano recital and just has a nice midevil type of sound.

3) "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - Not necesarily a Christmas song, so much as a winter song, but it's so damn catchy and funny. I have really liked it since it's appearance in my favorite Christmas movie, Elf.

4) "Sleigh Ride" - I love how most versions have sound effects that sound like hoofbeats. Do people even go on sleigh rides anymore? Because they sound epic!

5) "Carol of the Bells" - This one also has an epic feel to it and is just really pretty.

6) "We Three Kings" - Any version of this one is good - it has a unique oriental (for lack of a better word) tune, but the Roaches version is especially interesting and has a haunting quality

So, how about the rest of you? What are your favorite Christmas/holiday songs?

• Brohoof 4

My favourites are:

"White Christmas"

"We Three Kings Of Orient Are"

"Hark! The herald angels sing."

My husband loves Christmas music, but it's not my favourite thing.

Although if I HAVE to listen to it.

~

• Brohoof 2

dgpRo.gif

I like a lot of them, so here are my top 3:

• Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
  • We Three Kings
  • Christmas In Killarney

I've heard many versions of Christmas in Killarney. Celtic versions are great, but Bing Crosby also did a pretty good job of it. Have a listen.

http-~~-//youtu.be/lsoh9cUfVbc

No auto-tune there.

• Brohoof 1

sig-6104.5e1fEdB.png

Kyoshi made this ^^

Come join us on

Equestria.tv on Fridays at 6 PM Eastern for our weekly movie nights!

I like a lot of them, so here are my top 3:

• Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
  • We Three Kings
  • Christmas In Killarney

I've heard many versions of Christmas in Killarney. Celtic versions are great, but Bing Crosby also did a pretty good job of it. Have a listen.

http-~~-//youtu.be/lsoh9cUfVbc

No auto-tune there.

Wow, I'd never heard that song before, but I really like it! I love Celtic music. Very cool sounding and just so warm and happy. It's too bad this one doesn't seem to show up on Christmas compilation CDs much (at least, not that I've ever seen!)

Favorite Christmas carol of all time is "Silent Night"!!! After that, the only other one that really comes close for me is "Oh Holy Night," although I also love "Joy to the World," "Oh Come All Ye Faithful," and basically any other classic Christmas song, be it religious or secular. But the first two are absolutely amazing when sung with a congregation of church-goers, simply beautiful in every sense of the word. My favorite part of my church's Christmas Eve service is when towards the end we turn off the lights, light hand-held candles held by each person in the congregation, and sing "Silent Night," often singing the first verse in the traditional German. Singing's always been one of my favorite and better ways to give praise to God through my talents and gifts that He's given to me, and since there are so many wonderful songs to sing at Christmas time, it's always a joy to sing during Christmas and Advent services. :)

• Brohoof 1

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

First, I am pretty sick of most Christmas/holiday/winter songs in general; they have been played to death, especially those same songs which had to be recorded by seemingly 100 different artists with very little variation among the recordings. I also think it is rather ridiculous that we have radio stations that start playing 24-hour Christmas music before Thanksgiving! I suppose other listeners must really like it, but I end up trying to avoid those stations until Christmas is over.

That being said, there are some songs which I am less sick of than others. These are mostly songs which have NOT been recorded by 100 different artists and/or don't try too hard to be "Christmas-y". Songs that fall in this category for me include:

Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys

Step Into Christmas - Elton John

Last Christmas - Wham!

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen - Mannheim Steamroller (I have fond memories of my high school concert band playing this, lending to my liking of it.)

Linus And Lucy - Vince Guaraldi Trio (I don't really think this is a Christmas song, but it gets played by the 24-hour Christmas music stations, and is a welcome break from the other overplayed songs.)

Winter wrap up of course! I'm not a big fan of much other Christmas music, but Bing Crosby's white Christmas is very good, if just because of his magnificent voice.

I like classics usually....things like "Carol of The Bells"

but if you must have a more modern Christmas song.....I think that this one should do perfectly:

lol, I don't like any modern holiday songs :P unless this one counts

My favourites would probably go:

• Silver Bells
  • I Saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
  • Winter Wonderland
  • The Little Drummer Boy

My all time favourite at Christmas time though is "Away in a Manger". I love that song! :wub:;)

Edited by Death the Kid
  • Brohoof 1

I actually have a liking for a whole lot of Christmas songs, however I think that "Where are you Christmas" Has got to be one that holds a special place in my heart, Because every Christmas me my mom and brother use to watch the Grinch, and that song is in the movie so. I like it :P.

But I seriously can't decide.. I also love to play Christmas tunes on my trumpet. Good thing I have a whole book of Christmas songs :D We're also playing Sleigh ride for our Christmas Concert. (That piece of music is quite difficult :P atleast to a 9th grader.)

Oh and "Christmas Shoes".. Omg that song gives me goosebumps, That and "Where are you Christmas".

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

Ru8aWjK.png

Thanks to Gone Airbourne for the awesome sig!

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

Am I really the only one who likes this song the most?

I freaking love this song, it's so catchy and Mariah Carey's a babe. And her voice is stunning.

Plus My Chemical Romance has done a pretty kickass cover ;3

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rjrPIGZ5U]

(Why the video won't show up here is beyond me)

Edited by Velvet Remdeyiscael

ezgif-2-b94ab321a5f6.gif.93cf1fcecd06e4273f8ea7a74cb185ff.gif 

I tend to take the high road, get stoned, and fly low . . .

I'm drawn to metal like flies are drawn to light. It only makes sense and stuff for me to post this little piece.

It combines my love of Christmas with my love of metal. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

#1 Asuka fanboy.  

Signature created by Thunder Bolt.

Former names:   Dash Is Best Pony, TrixieLover97, and Twilightlicious 666

I get so sick of listening to Jose Feliciano during christmas, but I won't lie. This damn song is already intertwined with my Christmas that there's just no helping it.

• Brohoof 1

"Never give no manipulative bitch the benefit of the doubt" - Compa's grandpa...

My favorites would be Merry ****ing Christmas by Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Following that would be Christmas at Ground Zero and The Night Santa went Crazy by Weird Al Yankovic. And lastly but most definitely not least is Winter Wonderland done by none other than Louis Armstrong. Gotta be Louis though, all other versions can go see the heat miser.

• Brohoof 2

I can neither confirm nor deny myself being the cause of electrical related malfunctions. Anyways, you wouldn't happen to have a jar of replacement magic smoke would you?

Hey does winter wrap up count? I normally like instrumental covers of Christmas song though. Oh and this Christmas song is one song I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8jJ058buo

and Ho ho Fu***** ho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ncqIlF7AI

Also I'm starting to like F*** off Santa by Bob Noxious

Can't post this one because I'm afraid this one might not be safe for work.

Edited by Hakureimiko

This one is pretty popular in the french-speaking world. Petit papa noël.

And here's O Tannenbaum, the original version of Oh Christmas Tree, just because it's a chill song.

Oh, and brass arrangements of O Come All Ye Faithful are amazing (although this one has an extended intro, lol):

There are "radio" (as I'll call them) Christmas songs that I enjoy, but I'm not recalling exactly which right now. lol

Edited by Envy

mlpwoodwinds.jpg
Everything needs more woodwind!

I think I'd better post my favorites now, before I'm too sick of Christmas songs to even talk about them...

I've always loved We Three Kings for its seriousness and power, especially when sung by a men's choir. Do You Hear What I Hear and Little Drummer Boy are also in that slow and dramatic vein.

From the newer ones, Last Christmas (I Gave You My Heart) always gets me. The good version, not the lousy new ones that have come out.

Finally, the Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton Christmas album was an indelible part of my childhood. Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhYEf9TQO0I

Edited by TailsAlone

"Human beings fascinate me

Being just the way they are..."