Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FiM Comic Book Series Discussion

lardbobobo

(edited)

McCarthy confirmed his death

Speaking of which, even if he himself never returns, his horn could still become an Artifact Of Doom (like the Alicorn Amulet, the Inspiration Manifestation, etc.).

Would certainly fit his Sauron gimmick.

Edited by A.V.

Admittedly I only just got into the comics after marathoning the main series. I'm kinda surprised the criticism the current arc is getting, though I can understand why.

Personally, I'm Celestia here. I can see why many people wouldn't, but for me, it kinda puts her on everyone else's level and, therefore, more relatable. This is something I can appreciate because it gives me a reason to like her more and respect her situation. Yes, some of her decisions haven't been the best, but I can understand why she made them.

I can't wait for the next issue!

Also, I haven't tried the micro or friends forever yet, but I hope to get to those soon.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Okay, just started the Micro Series, and here are my thoughts:

1. Twilight - A solid if not entirely memorable start. The middle portions were a lot of fun, but the ending was done SO WELL! I love it!

2. Rainbow - Kinda felt like a train wreck. I mean it wasn't horrible, but it could've been SO much better.

3. Rarity - Wasn't entirely into it until the hippie ponies confessed, then the comic REALLY took off for me. Easily the best so far!

Rainbow Dash's issue aside, I've enjoyed what I read. Can't wait to read the others!

Edit:

And now for the rest of the series:

4. Fluttershy - It was pretty good. Kinda felt rushed, but it had a good moral at least.

5. Pinkie Pie - Definitely enjoyable, though Pinkie was somewhat pushy, but it's Pinkie!

6. Applejack - This one was actually heartwarming. Stubborn pony is stubborn, but lovable.

7. CMC - A surprisingly VERY good one! Almost as good at the Rarity issue!

8. Celestia - Also very good; felt bad for the old mare. A good, satisfying ending.

9. Spike - It felt like a Spike episode from the series, but it had a very...unexpected ending. Won't complain.

10. Luna - Easily the best, and it had me in stitches numerous times! Luna is BEST pony!

Overall the micro series was solid. Some entries were unremarkable, but most were no doubt enjoyable at least.

Next: Forever Friends!

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

And, my opinions on Forever Friends and the Equestria Girls Annual comic.

1. Applejack & Pinkie Pie - Easily the worst MLP I have read thus far. It just felt so shallow and a bit of a mess at times.

2. CMC & Discord - MUCH MUCH better, and a throughly enjoying comic to boot. Never would've imagine that Discord with the CMC would be so entertaining, and it had a VERY nice ending!

3. Celestia & Spike - My favorite of the FF series so far. Everything just had a nice flow to it, and I liked how Celesta let Spike be the hero even though she could've easily dealt with the rock lobsters. That teacher/adventurer hook was played OH SO WELL!

4. Twilight and Shining Armor - Throughly fun, and the brother/sister bonding is always appreciated. Also, I can't complain about more SOMBRA!

5. Fluttershy and Zecora - Quite the unexpected ending, I must say! I kinda felt lost as the comic kept going on, but the resolution tied things up REALLY nicely. Plus, I can't complain about Zecora getting some attention. Not to mention that the dialogue between her & Discord was great.

Lastly...

Equestria Girls Annual - While my favorite part was easily the backstory of Sunset Shimmer with Celestia, the comic overall was pretty solid, and it proves a nice bit of backstory for the EG movie as a whole.

Now I'm caught up! Sorry for the multiple posts one after the other, but I thought it best to split the Micro & Friends series into two separate posts.

(edited)

And, my opinions on Forever Friends and the Equestria Girls Annual comic.

1. Applejack & Pinkie Pie - Easily the worst MLP I have read thus far. It just felt so shallow and a bit of a mess at times.

2. CMC & Discord - MUCH MUCH better, and a throughly enjoying comic to boot. Never would've imagine that Discord with the CMC would be so entertaining, and it had a VERY nice ending!

3. Celestia & Spike - My favorite of the FF series so far. Everything just had a nice flow to it, and I liked how Celesta let Spike be the hero even though she could've easily dealt with the rock lobsters. That teacher/adventurer hook was played OH SO WELL!

4. Twilight and Shining Armor - Throughly fun, and the brother/sister bonding is always appreciated. Also, I can't complain about more SOMBRA!

5. Fluttershy and Zecora - Quite the unexpected ending, I must say! I kinda felt lost as the comic kept going on, but the resolution tied things up REALLY nicely. Plus, I can't complain about Zecora getting some attention. Not to mention that the dialogue between her & Discord was great.

Lastly...

Equestria Girls Annual - While my favorite part was easily the backstory of Sunset Shimmer with Celestia, the comic overall was pretty solid, and it proves a nice bit of backstory for the EG movie as a whole.

Now I'm caught up! Sorry for the multiple posts one after the other, but I thought it best to split the Micro & Friends series into two separate posts.

I've read all but the AJ & Pinkie one.

Sounds like I haven't missed much, though.

Edited by A.V.

I've read all but the AJ & Pinkie one.

Sounds like I haven't missed much, though.

You didn't, and I did hear that this certain comic was more or less sub-par compared to the rest, but being the completionist I am sometimes I felt I needed to read it.

Apparently Celestia and Sombra were supposed to kiss each other but Hasbro has pushed the "Nope" button.

Looks like they know how much of rage it caused among the Sunfags (i'm myself one).

Bah, I don't see the harm in a chaste kiss between them. If anything, I'd bet MLP's primary demographic would gobble that right up.

If the devout followers of Sunbutt have a problem with that, well, they can consider it none canon. Seems most people consider the comics none canon anyway.

Apparently Celestia and Sombra were supposed to kiss each other but Hasbro has pushed the "Nope" button.

Looks like they know how much of rage it caused among the Sunfags (i'm myself one).

Personally, I DEMAND a kiss, but it is what it is (IF what you say is true).

• Brohoof 1

Really? O.o

I must be looking at the wrong places because most of the places I've looked (including Equestria Daily) seem to like the pairing, some even comparing it to Equestria Girls and saying "See Meghan this is how you write romance well!" much to my chagrin. (See below >.>)

Me, I don't have a problem with Celestia getting paired off, I admit I like the pairing, I just wish Celestia hadn't turned into a selfish idiot who's willing to put her kingdom in danger and destroy a friendship with Starswirl and hold a grudge against him to this day if season 3's anything to go by just so she can keep her prince knowing full well she's also putting his kingdom at risk! Hell, sometimes I wonder if she would have taken Evil!Celestia's offer if it wasn't for Sombra declining!

• Brohoof 1

I just finished the new friends forever with Rainbow Dash and Trixie. I give it a resounding, "meh"

I was glad to see Trixie and the diamond dogs some more, but the whole thing seemed kind of forced. I didn't feel like there was any interesting interactions between the two, they were just sharing the same space. The diamond dogs having a whole kingdom seemed sort of weird to me too. It's like somebody told them the put Dash and Trixie together in a comic but they didn't know how, so they cobbled something together and stuck them in it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised I enjoyed the new Friends Forever issue; but I really did! Now, it's not on the level of the Celestia/Spike issue, but this is a close second or third.

There wasn't much to it and it was somewhat predictable, but it was FUN seeing Trixie again and having her & Dash work together.

• Brohoof 1

Just finished the Trixie and RD issue :D Great way to reintroduce myself to the comics after...that one - dimensional recycled remake of the pony I love so much :eww:

Trixie and Dash worked EXCELLENTLY together :D I found Trixie's performance to be topnotch in the sense of being humorous, engaging, and in character, and RD's performance was better than all of her performances in S4, barring "Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3" :D

I really liked Trixie's attitude when she told the story of how she became queen - it took an otherwise generic part of the story and made it one of the most humorous and delightful parts of the whole issue :D Also, I found RD's demeanor, which was predictable for all intents and purposes, to be executed in a way that made that "Ughhh...I don't want to, but I should" attitude her own :D These are two very charismatic mares, and that was able to shine brightly in an issue that showcased one of my favorite characters in the entire series and a mane cast member that I have been trying a bit harder to fully understand,  and put them in a light that allowed them to play off of each other excellently while staying true to the source material :D

Overall, I'd give it an 5/5, and it definitely helped revive my interest in the comic book series :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well i got to see the comic books artists and writers (well some of them) at the Denver Comic Con. Seeing the original art in its inked (but colorless form) with slight pencils and no word ballooons is really a cool thing to see on display. Got to see the 1/2 hr panel for them there and it was cool hearing how Andy and Katie basically pitched the idea to Hasbro and IDW and they ran with it. Just like the show they are fans who want to make something that's all ages in a time where you wouldn't feel good buying a Batman comic book for your child due to the violence. I hadn't realized that Andy and Katie pretty well exclusively only work with each other but that appears to be the case.

Made a short video on what to expect if they come to a convention near you and brought back a few prints and autographs. I have a few more photos linked on my tumblr blog as well.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Howdy all!

Picked up Friends Forever Comic featuring The Great & Powerful Trixie & Rainbow Dash.

I liked it. :yay:

Who woulda thunk those 2 would team up for an adventure they'll never forget. :lol:

Cant wait for the next volume with Princess Luna & Pinkie Pie.

See ya!

Edited by OtakuBrony

(edited)

The last issue in the 'reflections' arc was as I expected, not so good because it was rushed as hell. I still did not like the arc and would rather you avoid reading it as it is clear cut Katie's worst series of comics she has written for the series.

Edited by Nuke87654

The last issue in the 'reflections' arc was as I expected, not so good because it was rushed as hell, but it did left a few notes that has me probably considering this the best of the arc. However, I still did not like the arc and would rather you avoid reading it as it is clear cut Katie's worst series of comics she has written for the series.

Ay, I've been hearing a lot of...unpleasant things about this arc from a lot of brony sites, including how the romance between Celly and Alt.Sombra. Are they really that bad?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ay, I've been hearing a lot of...unpleasant things about this arc from a lot of brony sites, including how the romance between Celly and Alt.Sombra. Are they really that bad?

It's because of how it wrote Celestia out of character to be a petty selfish romantic who was willing to endanger her people, betray friendships, and essentially prefer her love over her sister when push came to shove. This final issue had good Sombra turning evil by using the elements of deus ex machina to save the day and have the two permanently separated, a clear cop out ending that rendered the whole AU setting meaningless and poorly executed.

A shame as my worst fear came to pass when I first read the arc, the staff at IDW has lost alot of respect from many bronies through this terrible arc. Now I'm worried what will happen next.

Edited by Nuke87654

This has easily been the best arc in the series, and I'm excited to download the comic when I get home.

Come on work, END!

• Brohoof 1