Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Windows 8

DerpyFanatic

This is exactly the reason I despise Windows 8. Instead of being able to fully customize your machine straight out of the box, a la Windows 7, you have to BUY A PROGRAM just to let you customize things.  

Actually, 7 Starter (which I upgraded from) was even less customizable. I couldn't even change the desktop picture. Also, it's possible there could be a way to change the Start screen background by hacking a DLL, like how you change 7's startup tune. I'll look into it.

Actually, 7 Starter (which I upgraded from) was even less customizable. I couldn't even change the desktop picture. Also, it's possible there could be a way to change the Start screen background by hacking a DLL, like how you change 7's startup tune. I'll look into it.

Well, unless you buy a crappy (I wanted to say something else, but it's not forum-appropriate) netbook, nothing comes with Windows 7 Starter, so that's not really a huge issue. Even the netbook I used to have had Windows 7 Home Premium.

Edited by HylianRAGE

I just tried to hack the imageres.dll file like you can in Win7, but I couldn't replace the file for some reason. I did find out where the Start screen tattoos are, though - in imageres along with the sound! So if you can figure out how to get Resource Hacker to replace the file, you can replace or add new motifs to the DLL and they will show up in the options for Metro UI.

Still using Windows 7. I'm in no rush to jump into the not-metro UI style for the simple reason of me not needing it. All of my most used programs are on my task bar and with the removal of the start button, I can't get to individual folders without minimizing windows. Their current direction doesn't bother me though. By the time Intel's Haswell drops, Steam for Linux will be public so I'll have no reason to live in Windows.

Nah, as I've said so many times before in past Windows 8 topics - I don't want my desktop turning into no cell phone/tablet.

That probably makes me sound old, but I just really don't care for touch screen/phones and tablets. I don't want anything to do with them.

• Brohoof 2

I'll be sticking with Windows 7.  Windows 8 seems, as others have stated, too much like a tablet or smart-phone.  I was never one to support smart-phones or tablets.  I prefer the power a PC gives me.  And, based on what I've seen so far, the entire computer industry is turning more and more 'convience' centric.  To me (blunt opinion inc.) convience = cheap.  This is probably going to sound like I'm 50 or something, but Windows 7 is probably what I'm going to be running for quite a long while.  I don't really care if all the kiddies laugh at my old technology in 30 years.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

7 works just fine. So I see no real reason to actually switch to Windows 8. I've also heard some bad things about it's business practices, game wise, with it's restrictions and all. Either way, I'm not going to make the switch.

Edit: I saw it and it's awful. It just looks like shit. I mean, what's wrong with the old version? It was so much easier. At least for a old window's user.

Edited by Bronium

• 3 weeks later...

I still prefer my Windows 7. Not too long ago I was out looking at laptops with Windows 8 and I got to play around with it. I ended up not caring for it. I guess it's just preferences and if you're able to get use to something new. But I would like to stay with Windows 7 as long as possible.

Edited by Nightmare Tsubasa

I got a laptop for Christmas that came prepackaged with Windows 8 (I wasn't the person who bought it, so I really had no choice).

I don't really see any huge problems, but closing windows on the start page is a pain, as well as finding a folder (eg. My Documents, but I just pinned the folder to the start screen and I'm fine.). I still have Windows 7 on my desktop computer, so it may be confusing switching back and forth. I haven't really bothered trying to change or customize anything yet, so I have no clue about that. 

So, yeah, I'm completely neutral about the changes. I could see some having massive problems with it, but as someone who just uses their computer to surf the web/play Minecraft/play the Sims 3 (I guess installing a massive game like that could be a nuisance, but I haven't tried it yet)/work with Microsoft Office, no big problems here so far. 

Edited by Rarietty

I'm staying with Windows 7 :P why? because I don't like that Windows 8 looks like it's made for a phone and not for a PC...
I'm not saying Windows 8 is bad but just not really what I expected from Microsoft :/  

I've been using Windows 8 for quite some time now too and I absolutely love it!

You just have to treat the new Metro interface as a full-screen Start menu and voila, it's essentially the same as Win 7, just a bit better.

You get a massively improved task manager, aero has been replaced by a better looking yet simpler Window design (uses less resources too), the windows explorer finally deserves its name and multi monitor abilities have been greatly improved too, just to name a few things.

but closing windows on the start page is a pain,

Try Alt+F4.

as well as finding a folder (eg. My Documents, but I just pinned the folder to the start screen and I'm fine.), but I just pinned the folder to the start screen and I'm fine.)

Windows+E and you'll get to the documents folder in one click.

Basically, Windows 8 adds a number of features which you may choose to use, or not. If not, it will hardly be different from Windows 7. Playing around with it for a few minutes won't win your heart over, you need to use it for a few days in order to become really familiar with it.

As a life long Windows user however I felt almost right at home, but also needed a few days to get used to it. You just have to give it a chance. Now I can work just like I did under Windows 7. There is really no need to be worried.

Here's my Desktop and my Start menu for those who enjoy pictures:

post-9627-0-32299500-1356536415_thumb.png

post-9627-0-30939000-1356536467_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

if it not broken don't fix it

i never upgrade to new window intel i can't find software for my

i never use win8 but look like there to mach hate for it

i hear it have problem with steam :(  now that suck