Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you have a lucid dream?

Dashicorn

When I first tried lucid dreaming, I had some of the weirdest dreams I've ever had. As someone else mentioned, I had a dream where I woke up into another dream... and then it happened again. It was the strangest feeling. Another time, when I was lucid dreaming I actually tried to wake up and just like someone else, my body was paralyzed so it took all I could do to even open my eyes. It was the first time I had ever experienced the transition from sleep to waking consciousness. None of this scares me though. It actually makes it more interesting. I've never really thought of doing anything during sleep but lucid dreaming actually makes it possible. I can fly, go anywhere I want, do whatever I want and one thing I've noticed about lucid dreams is the moment they begin, they get much more vivid and real than ordinary dreams. The only problem I've really found is maintaining it. I can dream for a while once it starts but when I start to wake up, I can't stop it. I've tried spinning and looking straight down but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I need more practice.

I haven't been lucid dreaming at all lately. Probably partially due to stress and lack of sleep. Also, I wake up to an alarm clock so I'm sure that doesn't help. I find that the best time to dream is during afternoon naps when I haven't had enough sleep at night. That's when I have the most vivid dreams so I think that's the best time to try lucid dreaming.

@Apple Bloom

That reminds me, I have also had those dreams in which I would "wake up" into other dreams as well

One time I had "woken up" about five times in one sleeping

It is really rather aggravating especially when I really wanted to get out of bed

So again, I forced my body awake...

And then I had a major headache afterwards :/

There are several methods to gain lucidity while dreaming, most of which I've tried.

Most beginners should go the easy, but slow route, which is to first keep a dream journal and write down as many things you remember about your dreams each night.  It helps find a pattern you can look for in dreams, and along with picking up habits like looking for "reality checks" (aka, counting the fingers on your hands, checking the time on a clock, looking away, then back, a top that keeps spinning in a dream, etc.)  Eventually, you'll realize you're dreaming and poof, you're lucid.

Others go through artificial methods.  Bineural beats are sounds that program your brainwaves to put you into a certain state.  There are some you can find that can aid in Lucid Dreaming.  There's also a type of sleep mask that flashes lights in your eyes when you're in deep sleep that automatically puts you in a lucid dream, but that one's expensive at around $95 each... (Though if you have any basic skills in electronics and circuitry, you can probably make one for about $15)

And there's the difficult, but rewarding WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) method.  You first have to undergo the method of Sleep Paralysis, which involves laying absolutely still.  You feel a numb-tingling sensation envelop you slowly and paralyze you as you trick your body into thinking you're asleep, then you'll begin to hallucinate... Vividly.  (Beware, some hallucinations can be absolutely terrifying) If you're able to keep calm throughout the entire process, you'll enter the dream completely lucid and with far more control.

To the OP: a Lucid Dream is NOT a dream which you control. It is merely a dream where in you are aware that it is a dream, at that very moment.

People here are also saying that you can't force yourself to Lucid Dream. That's wrong, too. With enough practice, you can heighten your chances tremendously. With some techniques though, you can literally force yourself into one. And with practice and right circumstances (which aren't that strict, in my opinion), you can have a guaranteed 100% Lucid Dream.

LD4All Guide = a very well-done guide that summarizes each point really well. Of course, the forum itself has a tutorial section, and many things there have their own tutorials focusing on specific points. I'd say check it out.

Edited by OlegEqualzName

Okay, the last two days I have been reading about lucid dreaming, and keeping a dream journal. Yesterday, I tried the technique of pausing every so often ( I probably did it about four times in a day) to be fully around of my surroundings (sights, sounds, smells, details) and assessing reality. I would perform a reality check too. Then last night, I actually in the middle of my dream realized I was dreaming. However, the dream immediately faded and I started rubbing my hands together. I thought I felt myself waking up so I gave up, and then had a false awakening. I also stupidly didn't remember do a reality check after the false awakening. I highly recommend any time you wake up to do a reality check. Anyway my other mistake was to give up, and also I should have prepared myself to be aware I would be in another dream. So, if you do become lucid and the dream fades, either rub your hands together repeatedly or spin and repeat to yourself "the next scene will be a dream". 

I am very much a beginner, but I am very excited after such a quick near success. I hope this can help you. 

I've had a few lucid dreams in the past. Don't really remember much from them, but from what I do recall, it was almost like a 4th wall break when I realized I was dreaming. The people in my dreams were saying things like "if this weren't a dream, I'd bust your lilly ass" and so forth. From what I can gather, you can't really force yourself to lucid dream. Hell, you can't really force yourself to dream about anything you like. I've had a few Pony dreams in the past, but they were not lucid.

I used to have them quite commonly when I was younger now sometimes I get one once a month.

I also normally get dreams that are almost identical to real life so sometimes I wake up confused of what actually happened yesterday its can be really creepy at times but they can be quite interesting as well.  

• 7 months later...

Recently I've been looking into the concept of lucid dreaming. Lucid dreams are a type of dream where you are completely aware that you are dreaming, it's even possible to train yourself to control your dreams and have these types of dream often.

I've seen a few people discuss these dreams in threads, and I'm new to the concept. I figured this thread could be used to share some of the more prominent dreams you've had, your first experiences, feelings during the dreams, and your techniques for causing lucid dreams.

If you want to have these dreams yourself there are a a few common techniques I know of;

1. Most importantly of all steps, keep a dream journal near your bed to record the dreams and your feelings during them so you can report patterns. Report dreams immediately after waking up.

2. Practice reality checks, think to yourself often "am I awake?" Followed by checking signs if you are dreaming. These signs can vary to whatever you'd like to use, looking at clock then checking a second later (digital clocks work oddly in the dreamscape), pinching yourself or, turning the lights on (the dreamscape has awful electricians).

3. Lucid dreams are most common after you've slept a good amount. Try setting your alarm clock to five hours after you want to sleep, then when you awake think in your mind or say aloud what you want to dream about("I want to dream about flying/heaven/equestria/real life/etc"). Then go back to sleep after repeating this phrase about 200 times.

Well the thread got merged I suppose. Sorry about that.

Edited by Huntailstrike

Try Alpha-brain by Onnit. It allows you to reach a higher dream state. I have no need for lucid dreams as I "suffer" from REM intrusion which is where my brain drops into a dream state while I am awake and conscious. Its somewhere between a hallucination and a lucid dream.

I never try to purposely have lucid dreams.  (My mind is WAY more creative than I would ever be if I was taking control)  I just sleep and never realize it's a dream.  When I do, I usually wake up pretty much right afterwards.  Though, you're saying you can't control your dreams?  Like you don't control your body or what?  If so, I never heard of that.

For the advice of lucid dreaming, I realized I was in a dream once when I tried to pinch myself and my hand went through my arm.  You could try that, though it could wake you.  Also, remember what usually happens in your dreams.  For example, I tend to dream in the third person so if I realize it, I'm successfully aware I'm in a dream.  

Edited by notdog1996

When I was a kid, nearing 4th grade, I would have the bad lucid dreams whenever I would go to sleep.

Not where I could control them but instead it was probably the scariest experience you'd ever know.

I would always know when my time would come to these 'dreams' when I heard thumping, and then I couldn't move, or scream, yet I knew I was awake, sometimes in my bed like I had my eyes open, or other times in another place.

It may sound like nothing, but sometimes you couldn't breathe, and I would try to run but I couldn't, sometimes it was like a horror movie and you couldn't do anything about it, just let it happen even if you're scared like hell.

I still sometimes come across these dreams but not much, and now that I remember every single happening before the dream I can know to open my eyes right away lol

Scary stuff man, scary stuff.

Edited by Dirty Dan