Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help! I think I'm leaving the fandom!

Flicker

Okay, so I'm getting a bit nervous of my status as a brony. Don't get me wrong, I still like the show, but I'm kind of drifting off.

I think it started finals week. Instead of studying one afternoon I was drawing ponies. When I looked at the time it was getting late and I didn't have much time to study. So then I got angry with myself. I kind of live in a mindset that whether or not I succeed academically determines whether I live in a house or in the streets. So then I was berating myself and hitting myself on the head saying I was stupid because I liked ponies. Don't give me that look, I had to vent.

I think I did okay on the final, but I'm starting to feel kind of silly watching a show about rainbow pegasi and purple unicorns. Am I losing it?

• Brohoof 1

Well just don't let your love of ponies get in the way of studying. There's no need to go so far as to leave the fandom. Also, there's nothing wrong with watching a show about pegasi and unicorns :P

• Brohoof 2

If it really hit you hard that you're watching a show made for little girls, I would suggest taking a step back from the show and looking at the fandom. Listen to some brony music, or read one of the great fanfics. (My Little Dashie, Fallout: Equestria, etc.)

• Brohoof 2

Well if you do lose interest in the show I don't find anything wrong with that, you are by no means obligated to remain a brony and if you lose interest then why watch the show? Many brony's just quit the fandom and watch the show. Just do whatever feels right, you are not forced into the herd :)

You're not really 'leaving the fandom' if this happens.  All it is, is a slump.  Every fan of any show or franchise has points where they lose interest in the franchise for awhile.  Usually it's because other priorities or interests come up.

I'm a Pokemon fan and there are times where I'll pretty much disassociate myself with anything Pokemon-related for upwards of six months to a year.  But that doesn't mean I don't like Pokemon.

And I guarantee that when Ni No Kuni comes out, you'll probably see very little of me for awhile.  But I'll still be a fan of the show when that happens.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

No you, you're not losing it. You're just a little stressed. If you like to watch MLP, than that's great, but it seems silly to let it interfere with your life.

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 1

Finals will do that to you, I think you're fine. Even the best students can be distracted away from what needs to be done.

What I'm wondering is if you had another hobby or interest other than ponies would you have spent your time on that? I bet you might have.

Use the ponies as a “mental break” from studying. Just set a timer next time.

One thing I learned is that something always tries to distract you from studying for the finals. Taking this into account I don't think leaving the fandom is a necessary act. If you want to take a break that's fine, it's not leaving the fandom, just removing yourself from mlp for a short time doesn't mean your leaving the fandom for good.

One thing that helps me study is when I think to my head "if Twilight can read several books in a day, then I can study for this final exam".

Edited by Phoenix237

I have been a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan for over 20 years and there have been times when I have entered into sort of a lull period for a little while mostly because I didn't really know about the 2003 series until a few years after it aired and a friend pointed it out to me. But once I started I dove in like Michelangelo to a pizza and after buying the classic series DVD boxset I really got my cowabunga on and got even see episodes I missed when I was first watching it as a kid. And of course I am keeping track of the 2012 series, I  swear I must have had the biggest fangasm ever when I first found out about the 2012 series.

If you need to take a short break to help sort out your responsibilities and priories than by all mean go ahead and do it but you don't need to leave the fandom if you don't want to. Life is about balance and every now and then we all need a little escape and for those of us here one of those methods of escape just so happens to be cartoon ponies. I know it can be hard sometimes to balance interests with responsibilities but it is something we all have to do.

Hey, it's completely normal to have doubts with something like this once in a while. And it's fine to just be a passive fan, or even take a break from the show for a while. It doesn't mean you're "leaving the fandom". I'm in a lot of fandoms, plus I have school and personal life to deal with, it's OK to concentrate on one area for a while when you need to and come back to the other stuff later. No worries. You're not stupid for liking ponies, and to be honest I'd say it's kinda stupid to think that (Sorry). Go ahead and take a break from MLP if you feel you should, and come back when you feel you should, thinking of it as a reward for your hard work. :)

Personally, I think, "Who cares if it seems stupid? I enjoy it and that's what matters." Take it from me. I've been a KISS fan for decades, and if you want a ridiculous fandom full of morons and sheep, look no further. Certain things have happened that made me want to leave the fandom but eventually I decided that I still love the music so I'm sticking with it.

Same goes for ponies. I'm a thirty three year old woman, and I don't see anything wrong with watching "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic". It may be a show for little girls, but that doesn't mean that it's exclusively for little girls. Besides, I've been a part of the Sonic fandom ever since Sonic was first created... so basically, stick with it. XD Anyone who laughs or makes fun, just pity them. They're missing out on so much awesomeness.

Okay, so I'm getting a bit nervous of my status as a brony. Don't get me wrong, I still like the show, but I'm kind of drifting off.

I think it started finals week. Instead of studying one afternoon I was drawing ponies. When I looked at the time it was getting late and I didn't have much time to study. So then I got angry with myself. I kind of live in a mindset that whether or not I succeed academically determines whether I live in a house or in the streets. So then I was berating myself and hitting myself on the head saying I was stupid because I liked ponies. Don't give me that look, I had to vent.

I think I did okay on the final, but I'm starting to feel kind of silly watching a show about rainbow pegasi and purple unicorns. Am I losing it?

I too have been questioning my loyalty towards MLP, and really, the only reason I'm here, is because I like doing art of ponies... I honestly only watch the show because of the morale. I'll always listen to Wooden Toaster and The Living Tombstone, though :)

There's this thing called responsibility and self control, and they fit together quite nicely. Your responsibility is to study for the finals, and self control is to stop drawing ponies, or get distracted.

Speaking of getting distracted, it doesn't matter what you are distracted from. You can easily be drawing something else non-pony and still be distracted from studying. It isn't so much what is distracting you, but more of that you get distracted, which is the mane problem. PLEASE DON'T think I'm nagging you or criticizing you in a negative way! Because hear this:

I discovered MLP: FiM in my high school freshman year during the week of the final exams. I was literally on a video marathon DURING an exam day, when I should have been studying. I remember wasting so much time because I caught up from watching no episodes to the current season 2 episode (Season 2 aired several episodes when I started watching). What I'm saying here is that we all get distracted and that is ok. It is good that you noticed the problem and hoped to change yourself. ;)DON'T LEAVE THE FANDOM! Just sit back and relax the show :lol:

Edited by Flip

Look lass, people get distracted. We can only advise you, not tell you to go or stay. Truly, don't be too worked up about it, I've done it too.....hahaha, well, not drawing, but trying to play Winter Wrap Up on guitar instead of doing schoolwork. It happens, but it'll only become an issue if you let it, and it's definitely not worth leaving over, besides, we, the community, will gladly help you.

• Brohoof 1

No need to leave the fandom! Just because you don't watch the show often doesn't mean you're not a brony! If you like the show, then that's great! Don't let finals give you the thought of quitting the fandom. Just because you don't have time to watch MLP or you don't have time to contribute to the community, it does not make you a non-brony.

As long as your love for ponies does not get in the way of work your good.  Don't beat yourself up for not having enough time for watching the show or being in the fandom.  As a great brony once said Take a look at your life and say, challenge accepted 

Remember just because you don't watch the show often or contribute to the fandom, does not mean your a non brony.

Edited by Dashicorn