Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Badly need a teacher :| please!

noplsno

I know I've asked this before, but I really really need a teacher, my dream is to be a professional artist, where if I achieved my goal, for the first time in my life, I can feel like I've done something right, that I've created something all on my own, from my imagination, I need to start somewhere!

Please help me! I have some ability to create art but I badly need to learn how to free draw, as well as finding colors,  and sketching.

i use SAI paint tool, which is the easiest thing to learn so far, and I'd have no problem switching to Photoshop, if my "teacher" could give me a brief tour of it at first. I really need to achieve my goal. Please help me out

• Brohoof 1

Now, I can be of no assistance with regards to photoshop, but what aspects of free draw are you having issues with? I'm assuming by this you mean non-digital work. I cannot 'teach' you to become a brilliant artist, but I can give tips on specific aspects if it helps :)

No, and since I'm not much of an "outside brony" kind of guy. I really wouldn't like to ask my actual teacher to help me draw ponys. There aren't any classes, not that I know of, but what I'm looking for is to have someone just review my work and show me some tutorials

Hold it. Don't learn from a teacher, learn from yourself.

Here's something I posted on another thread awhile back that will help you:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned how most artists learn, but with a bit of a twist.

I studied nude images of people to get their anatomy down, copied the outline of them over and over until perfection, then started working slowly on the details. It takes a long time.

As weird as it may be, I suggest drawing from nude images so you can later 'fit' clothes onto their body better.

Take each line SLOWLY, and pay attention to EVERYTHING.

Artistic ability isn't something people are born with, it's something you learn. It takes a lot of time.

Never give up and let your brain take over. Your brain will want you to draw a simple representation of an object. Learn to ignore it.

Pay attention to the lines, not to your brain.

You'll get what I'm meaning though experience eventually.

Just as a side note.

My main style which I use is very cartoony and simple. I choose this style out of my others because it's quick and easy to do on a tablet. On the other hand though, I can draw super detailed drawings if I wanted to, and I have.

I'm kind of re-learning a lot of techniques with my tablet. I can't really 'shade' or 'sketch' like I do with a pencil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just practice, draw, practice, draw, and practice.

Find an artist you like and sketch (DO NOT TRACE) from their pictures.

Also, I can review your work if you would like me to and give you pointers.

PM some of your work to me, or post it here.

Edited by Zink
  • Brohoof 3

Everything Zink says is all well and good, but I would advise you to do all that AND find an art class. You'll be suprised at how many such classes exist in your area. Arts and crafts stores will typically host such classes, though community centers are also known to do it. Unfortuneatly these typically cost money which is a bummer, but honestly theres no substitute for hands on in person instruction. Now, they won't let you draw ponies, at least not at first, but you should still go through such a class, because even if you're not drawing ponies, the lessons they teach you WILL make your art better.

• Brohoof 1

These tips will do a lot for me in the future I bet, I guess I outta thank you guys for doing the best you could on short notice, thanks for the tips and advice, I think i really needed that. I want you guys to know that I'll be looking at every post on this topic and I will certainly follow every one of them. thanks

These tips will do a lot for me in the future I bet, I guess I outta thank you guys for doing the best you could on short notice, thanks for the tips and advice, I think i really needed that. I want you guys to know that I'll be looking at every post on this topic and I will certainly follow every one of them. thanks

We're happy to help a pony in need :) We'll be checking up on you to see how your art is coming ;)

I also agree with Two-of-hearts, taking an art class is a good idea even if you're not gonna be drawing ponies all day, it'll improve things like your sense of proportion and your steadiness of hand.