Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you believe this? They made Bon Bon's canon name Sweetie Drops! Look at the wiki and you'll see what I mean! I mean, I know it's Hasbro's show and they could do what they want, but my opinion: I just don't really get what the big deal is about them changing Bon Bon's name. Same thing goes to them changing Doctor Whoove's name into Time Turner. Now the Doctor part I can agree on, that name is copyrighted, but Bon Bon, that's not a copyrighted name, it's a name of a type of food that I never even seen before in real life except in ice cream. Look, Hasbro could do what they want, I'm just saying my opinion.

My point is: What do you think about Bonnie's new name? What's your opinion? Yay or neigh?

But...why? On the MLP: FiM Game her name is Bon Bon. And it was even licensed by Hasbro.

The only thing I see similar with "Sweetie Drops" and Bon Bon is the cutie mark. Sweetie Drops looks like Applejack (minus the eyes) and her toy looks like a Crystal Pony.

2du011c.jpg

What is Hasbro doing?  <_<

Edited by PrymeStriker
  • Brohoof 1

The name Bon Bon comes from the French word for candy.  And her canon name is not new at all.  It has been around for quite a while....

Oh, I actually found out recently. :huh:

But...why? On the MLP: FiM Game her name is Bon Bon. And it was even licensed by Hasbro.

The only thing I see similar with "Sweetie Drops" and Bon Bon is the cutie mark. Sweetie Drops looks like Applejack (minus the eyes) and her toy looks like a Crystal Pony.

2du011c.jpg

Probably messing with our minds. :lol: Maybe because they think they shouldn't take fandom, that's probably one of the main reasons they don't show Derpy that much anymore, that and the soccer moms. I hope Hasbro understands that Derpy isn't fanmade, she was created in the first episode by one of the animaters, only the name is fanmade.

Meh, I don't really care. It's just a name from the fandom, it's their character they can name it what they want...

Would be cool though if they used Bon Bon.

It really doesn't bother me, since Bon Bon is the most used name, and definitely the one I use.  I'll never see the name Sweetie Drops associated with anything Bon Bon related, except for the toys, maybe.

They never changed anything, because Bon Bon wasn't her name, it was a fannon thing because Bon Bon is a french word for candy. Same for Doctor Whooves, they didn't change his name, they introduced a canon one instead :3

They changed it, but so what, we still call her that, it's like Lyra all over again :3

img-1069249-1-2du011c.jpg

Lol have you seen the blind bag Fluttershy figurine?

She's just a recolored version of the Rainbow Dash figurine xD

%2524%2528KGrHqN%252C%2521jEE2n%2528iTLo

They said they'd make an accurate one soon tho xD

Edited by Pinkazoid

They never changed anything, because Bon Bon wasn't her name, it was a fannon thing because Bon Bon is a french word for candy. Same for Doctor Whooves, they didn't change his name, they introduced a canon one instead :3

But, again, they used Bon Bon in the official MLP game at the App Store. It went through Hasbro. So they had to approve the name.

She's just a recolored version of the Rainbow Dash figurine xD

The Rainbow Dash one didn't have wings?

Also, I was referring to the artwork; same mane & tail as Applejack. It even has freckles.

I love Bon Bon. I don't call her Sweetie Drops. It's not a bad name, but it just doesn't feel like the real one.

Besides, Lyra & Bon Bon has a better ring to it than Lyra & Sweetie Drops. xD

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

I love Bon Bon. I don't call her Sweetie Drops. It's not a bad name, but it just doesn't feel like the real one.

Besides, Lyra & Bon Bon has a better ring to it than Lyra & Sweeit Drops. xD

Don't you mean Heartstrings and Sweetie Dropes? :D

My opinion:  Whatever.  It's not like Hasbro's going to zap us every time we call her Bon Bon.

(Where do fanon names come from, anyway?  Who makes them up?  I mean, who decided, "she's going to be named Bon Bon?")

There is an immaculate list of name changes that Hasbro has made, despite the fandom.  One, of which, I don't understand at all...

Vinyl Scratch! Fricken they call her DJ PON3 (A Fanon Name!) But they use the one that is only the name of a youtube channel... That's not the common use at all.

Don't even get me started on so called... "Chance-o-lot,  minuet"  ( I think they mean, Caramel, and colgate! (Respectively) )

Anyways, enough about that I guess, Hasbro has done this and will continue to do it forever...

There is an immaculate list of name changes that Hasbro has made, despite the fandom.  One, of which, I don't understand at all...

Vinyl Scratch! Fricken they call her DJ PON3 (A Fanon Name!) But they use the one that is only the name of a youtube channel... That's not the common use at all.

Don't even get me started on so called... "Chance-o-lot,  minuet"  ( I think they mean, Caramel, and colgate! (Respectively) )

Anyways, enough about that I guess, Hasbro has done this and will continue to do it forever...

With regards to Vinyl Scratch/DJ PON3, I rationalize that as Vinyl Scratch being her "real" name, while DJ PON3 is her DJ handle. 

• Brohoof 2

With regards to Vinyl Scratch/DJ PON3, I rationalize that as Vinyl Scratch being her "real" name, while DJ PON3 is her DJ handle. 

On the nose. I think DJ PON3 is more of a stage name, or the name she would put on her best-selling records. But her friends call her Vinyl. ;)

well darn, this is news to me, oh well, shell always be bon bon to me, i thought they might name her cotton candy or something

they made lyra's name canon, so why not bon bon's?

Seriously, guys, get over it.

The fan name of a pony is nothing more than one that someone, somewhere, came up with (possibly more than one person thought of it independently, but that hardly matters for current purposes) and through a version of Darwinian selection, came to dominate in the fandom. (The name that people first encounter is usually the name they associate with the character, the more people who have that association, the more people encounter it as their first association, and it builds up like that in a cycle.) The initial random variation eventually converges on a small selection of competing appellations or indeed a single one, and that becomes the fan name.

Hasbro is no more required to use that name than I would be, if my friends were arguing over what my new puppy should be called. When I decide on a name, if it's the same one as someone suggested, it doesn't mean I am favoring the person, and that everyone who submitted an alternate name is now snubbed because of it. In the same way, if Hasbro doesn't use the fan name, it doesn't mean they are dissing bronies, they are simply choosing a name that they like (or that copyright lawyers will allow. :blink: )

I don't like this sense of entitlement I sometimes see in the brony community. Throwing your toys out the cot because the official name is not the same as the fan one? Cry me a river.

And lastly, you don't have to use the official name. Just keep calling her Bon Bon. No one is going to burn you at the stake.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 4

You're making it seem like they're shoving the new name down our throats. Them acknowledging the fanon names is cool when it happens, but it isn't to be expected. When they make stupid mistakes like Fluttershy having a Rainbow Dash model, how do you expect them to go out of their way to have everything "correct", like we see it?

Edited by Threetrees
  • Brohoof 2

I just checked the Wiki article again. When the title of the page was changed from Bon Bon to Sweetie Drops, there was a line in there saying that the name Bon Bon wasn't available for trademark but Sweetie Drops was. I don't see that statement in the article now. Nonetheless, there are a few places in officially released items where she's called Bon Bon.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Sweetie_Drops

Considering she has several speaking lines, what is her name in the script? Bon Bon? Sweetie Drops? Background female Earth Pony 379?

Oh well. Lyra Heartstrings and Bon Bon Sweetie Drops: BFFs! :wub:

Hm. I always assumed that Bon Bon was canon because it's in the MLP app, seeing as Timeturner's canon name is in there too.

If names like Bon Bon and Caramel are not canon, why are they included in the game?

• Brohoof 1

But I always I thought Caramel *was* canon.  Wasn't he referred to by name during Winter Wrap Up? 

(stupid character limit thingie...)

Yes, exactly. He lost the seeds!

It's a little weird. I'm not sure why it's so conflicting. Can't they just pick one and stick with it?

This whole name mess can be fun sometimes. I remember quite a lot of occasions, in fanfics or comics, where the licensed names are incorporated as an embarrassing middle name, or even a part of an identity crisis  :P 

Hahaha, all this talk about names... >.<

I mean, it's the same thing on a forums, isn't it? Perhaps someone wants their username to be that of a canon character (I know I love Luna enough to want her name in places), but in the end it's just a name and doesn't change who they are. I'm always going to be Xalder whether or not I have a different handle than usual. :P It just means that people might have to really get to know me more.