What is Cider? Is it alcoholic?

Eenohay

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it does. Since this show is made in America and American cider is commonly non-alcoholic unless stated otherwise(and the fact that this show is aimed towards little girls), I think we can safely assume that the cider was just that good.

I was wondering about the seeming lack of brewing part of the cider...over in England it's assumed that cider will have a rather strong alcoholic content, otherwise we'd just label it 'Apple Juice' and sell it to children. The processes shown in the episode suggest alcohol-free cider though, since there was no fermentation steps.

I have relatives that have apple orchards. Apple cider for them is a big deal. People really do go out of thier way for fresh, unprocessed cider. It is a great treat when I'm able to get some. Very rare for me since I live very far from them and only see them about every 2 years. The fresh stuff is nothing like the stuff in the store.

Edited by Flutterbee

I have relatives that have apple orchards. Apple cider for them is a big deal. People really do go out of thier way for fresh, unprocessed cider. It is a great treat when I'm able to get some. Very rare for me since I live very far from them and only see them about every 2 years. The fresh stuff is nothing like the stuff in the store.

And it doesnt have alcohol?

• 11 months later...

I'm in the difficult situation and need some help. There are qustion, that bugs me up a long time. I've tried to find an answer by myself, but failed. 

Here's the deal: Is ponies have an alcoholic cider or not?

For "aye" - cider only foams when it's alcoholic.

For "nay" - this: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Food_and_beverage/By_episode#The_Super_Speedy_Cider_Squeezy_6000

And this: Nearly the whole town has been waiting for the cider. They can not be all alcoholics, right?

And this: Rainbow Dash loves cider very much, but she's a very athletic and stuff - and alcohol doesn't fitting this at all.

And this: Celestia too wise for letting ponies get an alcohol - she must knew all catastrophic aftermath, which will follow this.

So, I need a clear answer: is there alcohol in Equestrian or not?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

The answer is probably no.

In the "Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" episode, the Apple family is seen pressing and selling apple cider the moment it is made. Alcoholic cider, on the other hand, needs to sit in storage for at least three months in order for any noticeable alcohol levels to appear. (Note that three months would produce a very, very low alcohol content. A much fairer number is three years on the shelf.)

Whether it be three months or three years, that easily puts the Apple family cider outside the scope of alcoholic drinks, even if the liquid foams. At this point, I'd just call the foam an animation quirk.

• Brohoof 1

I can give you a list of all the times this has been brought up in a picture or a fan-fic. Let me see...

TheShadyTrough.png

And now for some fiction work...

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22546/drop-of-moonshine An awesome one-shot story about the Princesses, who have banned alcohol, try some of Luna's own.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/17980/a-night-to-try-to-remember And this is about the night after the Mane Six get a little bit wasted!

The topic is quite widespread and totally unsure. What I found interesting from your post, was that the wikipedia page says "There is no time left to ferment." Wouldn't that suggest they CAN make alcoholic drinks if they wanted to?

While there probably is alcohol in Equestria there is never in a million years going to be an episode where they explicitly mention that with the exception of the occasion reference like Pinkie Pies joke in one episode about the punch being "Spiked" or in Bridle Gossip when Applejack was called Appletini after she shrunk thanks to the poison joke plant. I just chalk it up to ponies really really liking their cider and with how much care the Apple Family puts into their cider I can hardly blame them for that.

• Brohoof 1

The topic is quite widespread and totally unsure. What I found interesting from your post, was that the wikipedia page says "There is no time left to ferment." Wouldn't that suggest they CAN make alcoholic drinks if they wanted to?

Considering the fact that Pinkie Pie jokingly says "the punch has been 'Spiked'", I assume that there is alcohol. Is the cider alcoholic? I doubt it. But that phrase wouldn't have been funny without a double meaning to the word "spike", so I assume there must be some kind of alcohol somewhere.

Considering the fact that Pinkie Pie jokingly says "the punch has been 'Spiked'", I assume that there is alcohol. Is the cider alcoholic? I doubt it. But that phrase wouldn't have been funny without a double meaning to the word "spike", so I assume there must be some kind of alcohol somewhere.

Well, I don't have proplem with an alcohol existence in the world, where Equestria is placed. (Maybe Griffins have this). The only thig is bugs me - ponies. Any other races can do whatever they want, I just want ponies be without it. Yeah, this sounds silly, but I can't help myself.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I don't have proplem with an alcohol existence in the world, where Equestria is placed. (Maybe Griffins have this). The only thig is bugs me - ponies. Any other races can do whatever they want, I just want ponies be without it. Yeah, this sounds silly, but I can't help myself.

Hey, if that's your opinion, then stick to it man!  :D  Personally, I quite like the idea of ponies with alcohol. They need to let down their mane sometimes!!!

Whenever the first batch of apple cider is released at the local orchards in NJ people line up for about a mile to get it, and it's definately just fresh apple cider! I can totally see the first cider batch being a big deal in Ponyville without any perks : )

I loved the post someone made in the "Things it took you a while to realize about MLP" saying that Applejack is the term for fermented cider : ) http://mlpforums.com/topic/45455-things-you-took-a-while-to-realize-about-fim/page-2#entry1088464 I think it was Lady Leapardess's post

Edited by bunnybuzki

Hi there!

I think I know where the confusion might be! Here in the UK apple cider is alcoholic and there is no such thing (so far as I know) as non alcoholic cider. If it were non alcoholic it would be known as apple juice. Am I right in thinking that in the U.S you can have alcoholic or non alcoholic cider? I think this may be where you are confusing other non American English speakers :)

Sure, there's alcohol.

That cider just isn't alcoholic.

As others have said, it needs to ferment for that to happen. I just chalk up the foam as a sort of artistic license. It makes it more easily recognizable as cider rather than just having a foamless mug.

• Brohoof 1

I think I know where the confusion might be! Here in the UK apple cider is alcoholic and there is no such thing (so far as I know) as non alcoholic cider. If it were non alcoholic it would be known as apple juice. Am I right in thinking that in the U.S you can have alcoholic or non alcoholic cider? I think this may be where you are confusing other non American English speakers :)

Apple cider is different than apple juice in the way that it's pressed and made. Apple cider is much thicker, and a deeper color than apple juice. I'm no expert, I think when it's alcoholic we just call it "cider" although someone else said it's called applejack. Even those two things may be slightly different from each other. Definately "Hard Cider" when it is fermented. That said, it is seasonal so you will see lines like in the show if you live near an orchard or farm before Halloween : )

Hi there!

Where I live:

Apple juice is just juice, it comes straight out of an apple in whatever method they use, and then it's usually dehydrated into concentrate for shipping.

Apple CIDER involves a specific blend of spices and other ingredients, not just straight-up juice. That or it's just extremely fresh juice, I have never been able to find any outside of harvest season. I don't know about alcoholic variants, but they may just call it hard cider any time it's apple-based alcohol regardless of the recipe.

As a cartoon, one cannot use appearances alone as an indicator. Personally I think it's non-alcoholic for reasons listed above (mainly the whole pressing and fermenting thing). But on the off chance that it is alcoholic, Equestria better have different laws regarding drinking, because I am nowhere close to 21.

A cartoon like MLP with well Apple cider, isn't bad at all. Even if it is alcoholic when well adults make it, Apple cider is just well Apple cider for everypony to enjoy.