What is Cider? Is it alcoholic?

Eenohay

Because if it does, Pinkie wouldn't have ended up very well.

ok I enjoy apple cider as much as the next person but what is cider in mlp beer? soda? cause ive seen ponys get tipsy off of it on comics whats ur opinion? what is cider suppose to be in the show?

I don't think it does. Since this show is made in America and American cider is commonly non-alcoholic unless stated otherwise(and the fact that this show is aimed towards little girls), I think we can safely assume that the cider was just that good.

Depending on the production process, It may or may not contain alcohol. Generally speaking, cider is simply an unfermented drink made by crushing fruit. Alcoholic cider has to go through a fermentation process to provide its intoxicating properties. Seeing as though no such process was undertaken during the competition at Sweet Apple Acres, we can asume that Ponyvile cider is of the nonalcoholic type.

• Brohoof 10

Depending on the production process, It may or may not contain alcohol. Generally speaking, cider is simply an an unfermented drink made by crushing fruit. Alcoholic cider has to go through a fermentation process to provide its intoxicating properties. Seeing as though no such process was undertaken during the competition at Sweet Apple Acres, we can asume that Ponyvile cider is of the nonalcoholic type.

Best answer to this question I've ever heard.

So yeah, it's not alcoholic.

Funnily, being a strict teetotaler and knowing the nature of the drink in my part of the world, I was somewhat offended by the theme of this episode. But that's just me and my misconceptions.

Of course it's not alcoholic. The FCC would be on Hasbro's ass if they allowed alcohol to be consumed on a kid's show. Especially in such high quantities.

In the US, apple cider is typically non-alcoholic. There is alcoholic cider but it's usually labeled as hard cider.

For why the ponies were so excited over cider, my guess is that it's a rare yet delicious treat, and ponies don't really have anything better to do anyways.

• Brohoof 2

This may be a stupid question but,

If this cider dosen't contain alcohol then isn't that just apple juice?

The process of making it was just crushed apples.

Apple juice is basically apple cider that's been filtered and "clarified" to have the starch and pectin removed. Apple cider is just unfiltered, unsweetened, pure mashed apple liquid.

We just went through a huge bottle of store-bought apple cider a couple of weeks ago, and there sure wasn't any alcohol in it. For alcohol to form, it must ferment first. And there's absolutely no way it would have had time to ferment during the competition. We did once leave a bottle of it outside and forget about it for a couple of months, after which it took on a wine-like smell, though. :P

That, and plain "cider" is a non-alcoholic drink in Canada and the US. ;)

As you no doubt saw in the episode, making cider is hard work. Applejack and her family probably have better things to do than make cider most of the year, so it's a special event when they set aside a week to produce the drink. Special enough to warrant all of Ponyville's attention, it seems.

Furthermore, I don't think this obsession with cider is limited to Ponyville - I cannot imagine the Flim-Flam Brothers going to the trouble of inventing such a complex (and mobile!) cider-making machine if there wasn't enough demand in Equestria for them to see a sizable payoff in automating the process. So... I assume that there is a widely known "cider season" at some point during the year (kinda like how we have "egg nog season" - egg nog is only produced for a couple of months in the year).

• Brohoof 3

Since they have a cider season, it leaves a logical question. Has Equestria developed refrigeration technology? I would think not. If they did, a small production effort could keep the market stalls stocked with cider, with no need for a huge output once a year that everypony would gather for.

Some ponies buying a single bottle of cider every few days or so, wouldn't need nearly as much product as ALL the ponies buying as much cider as they can drink in a few days!

Just a random though.

Well as far as I can tell they didn't leave it to ferment. At least not the batch we actually saw them make. They pretty much just ground the apples into juice.

Also I doubt they would include alcohol itself in it. It is a kids show after all. The references in other episodes are much more subtle, I don't think they would go any further than that.

• Brohoof 1