Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Should Derpy Be Portrayed

Shanks

I know what some of you are thinking "oh another Derpy thread I wonder when the flame war is going to start?" I will of course do my best to try to not make that happen, sure telling off a certain someone felt pretty good at the time but it sure didn't help anything and I feel bad for the mods who had to clean up that mess. I had a conversation with this same certain someone a few days ago in response to a blog post called "Derpy Is Mentally Challenged?" Don't worry folks it didn't get ugly, anyway I won't rehash it but generally the point of the post was a rant about how Derpy is supposedly always portrayed in fanon as a walking talking stereotype which in some cases is true but I have seen plenty of fan material where Derpy aside from her eyes and slight clumsiness is not that different from the other ponies. And I have seen fan material where Derpy is even fairly intelligent so it is not exactly monolithic.

That made me wonder exactly how everyone on here thinks Derpy should be portrayed. I think Derpy should be portrayed as fairly intelligent maybe not Twilight Sparkle level but clearly enough to where she is not seen as "mentally challenged" yet still keep the eyes and slight clumsiness because they help her to stand out and make her the cutest, most adorable pony ever. I guess in many ways I like the idea of Derpy just as much as the character as I know what it is like to be considered different and a character like that has the opportunity to be a great teaching tool.

• Brohoof 4

Well, I think she is an intelligent voice trying to speak out to others who find it impossible to communicate with her. That is the ultimate hell, and I feel sorry for Derpy. Ever heard of autisim, anyone? That's easily mistaken for stupidity.

Well, I think she is an intelligent voice trying to speak out to others who find it impossible to communicate with her. That is the ultimate hell, and I feel sorry for Derpy. Ever heard of autisim, anyone? That's easily mistaken for stupidity.

I wasn't saying she's autistic. I can be autistic sometimes. It's just that a lot of Bronies portray her as unintelligent or stupid, while I prefer to see her as intelligent (Not super intelligent), innocent, and clumsy.

Edit: Bucking Autocorrect

Edited by Sketchi

Derpy is just one of those ponies that is accident prone. It happens whether you are smart, stupid, normal, autistic. Being cross eyed would help make somepony accident prone and it's not like they are mean to her or use her name offensively. Derpy is fine as she is and is a great pony! Innocent, fun loving, and clumsy but still a great pony!

Derpy is just plain...well derpy

She's clumsy and not the smartest one around

But she's bright and uplifting

Basically to me Derpy is just the same

As those other cartoon characters

That portray stupidity in a light hearted way

Derpy's happy, funny and most of all clumsy. There's nothing wrong with being that and I don't know why people are so sensitive  that they cause flame wars. And I don't know who the hay would think that autism means stupid. That is the biggest fallacy I've ever heard. 

Well, Derpy was mainly created by the Fandom, so I think that she should shine what (most of)the fan base is. She should be a loving pony, and defiantly not mentally challenge, but rather your average smart. As the every pony makes mistakes, she should to, but she shouldn't evolve around mistakes, since the fandom is no mistake. Let her adorableness shine!

Edited by Retro✮Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

I saw nothing wrong with how she was originally portrayed in the show. She clearly didn't appear stupid, the voice and eyes have nothing to do with stupid. Everyone is clumsy, some more than others, so that's all I see her as. A clumsy pony who has a few features which make her unique and stand out like how Rainbow's colors and brash attitude make her stand out.

If they had done their research and used common sense, something normally completely absent from these groups, they would have seen that derpy is normally used to describe clumsy, accident prone, maybe forgetful acts. I have a somewhat high IQ and yet I can assure you I have my derpy moments, doesn't upset me, instead you laugh em off. The only thing I have seen her in outside of the show is on JJ's Princess Molestia tumblr, and she is not shown to be stupid on that at all.

Why every little thing anymore has to be seen as insults and thrown out of proportion then turned into a crusade by certain groups of people to "fix" is beyond me. Honestly all that does is make me look down upon that group and question their morals and motives. I mean if something is truly offensive then be my guess and try to get it fixed, but like Abraham Lincoln said “If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Edited by Puddlejumper

I wasn't saying she's autistic. I can be autistic sometimes. It's just that a lot of Bronies portray her as unintelligent or stupid, while I prefer to see her as intelligent (Not super intelligent), innocent, and clumsy.

Edit: Bucking Autocorrect

Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was saying that Derpy is most likely Autistic, due to the trouble she has with communicating with other ponies and the like.

Derpy's happy, funny and most of all clumsy. There's nothing wrong with being that and I don't know why people are so sensitive  that they cause flame wars. And I don't know who the hay would think that autism means stupid. That is the biggest fallacy I've ever heard. 

In real life, a lot of people think Autisim = Stupid. Trust me, there's an autistic girl at my school (who, incidentally is also cross-eyed) who is clumsy, has poor hand-eye co-ordination, but gets good grades and has a really hard time communicating with others, as all she's met with is exclusion and people just can't stand her, but the major thing is that people think she's retarded and stupid. She isn't, she's just as smart as the next person, but no, people have to be fuckwits and make life hell for her.

She is the real life version of Derpy.

I think of her as being a normal ditzy girl who just so happens to be wall-eyed. I also use the fact that she is blonde to explain any clumsiness she has.

I think she should be shown in the best light possible. That being of normal intelligence as everypony else (maybe a little smarter), fully able to do anything she want, and able to speak properly, but with her normal accidental antics.

I don't even read the fics or anything that makes her less than that. :|

I've actually seen a few ask threads here pop up portraying her in a less intelligent way and I quite honestly get sick and uber annoyed at the person. >.>

• Brohoof 2

ok i'm here with my 11 foot pole

well there is one thing i do not want her to ever be, a poster pony for mentally challenged.

now you may think that's harsh but the fact is derpy only has a lazy eye, and that isn't the reason why she's ditzy (the worst two issues i had with my lazy eye was being bullied and 3d movies) 

when you parade somepony around as something there not you insult the person and what you want them to represent.

aaaannnndd that's as far as i'm going.

@,  but i'll be back to moment y'all start getting self righteous and miss one crucial point. 

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 2

In real life, a lot of ponies think Autisim = Stupid. Trust me, there's an autistic filly at my school (who, incidentally is also cross-eyed) who is clumsy, has poor hoof-eye co-ordination, but gets good grades and has a really hard time communicating with others, as all she's met with is exclusion and ponies just can't stand her, but the major thing is that ponies think she's retarded and stupid. She isn't, she's just as smart as the next pony, but no, ponies have to be fuckwits and make life hell for her.   She is the real life version of Derpy.

See, this is what people don't get. I have a little bit of autism, (I say Aspergers). I have trouble with executive functioning, but I'm bright and smart and can play the piano very well. 

Some people are just ignorant and narrow-minded and jump to hasty conclusions that end up in giant arguments.   

I'd say that removing her from the series (even if they claim they haven't) has/will put them in a worse position as this means there is no relatable character for a viewer who would otherwise relate to.

Does this make any sence?

They way she is in Doctor Whooves.

Tho I guess just giving her a normal voice should be enough. Unless being clumsy is also offensive today. Which actually wouldn't surprise me that much.

Edited by Jessper

See, this is what people don't get. I have a little bit of autism, (I say Aspergers). I have trouble with executive functioning, but I'm bright and smart and can play the piano very well. 

Some people are just ignorant and narrow-minded and jump to hasty conclusions that end up in giant arguments.   

And because of those hasty conclusions, we've lost a great character in the series. Damnit, why is everyone just so ignorant these days? Anything on TV can be called offensive these days. And there's SO MUCH WORSE out there it's not even funny. People need to get their priorities right.

Yes I have an when I was first diagnosed with it the doctor said I would never get an IQ past 50, to make a very long story short the doctor was right about the Autism but wrong about me being mentally retarded. I guess this is why I relate to Derpy on such a deep level and take such offense to some of the reactions to her because I understand what it is like to have people to single me out based on faulty assumptions. This of course dosen't mean that Derpy is Autistic but it would not be entirely improbable either, while I certainly understand not wanting to make Derpy a stereotype the falsehood that characters who are different for that reason cannot be portrayed in a thoughtful manner in a show does irk me.

They way she is in Doctor Whooves.

Tho I guess just giving her a normal voice should be enough. Unless being clumsy is also offensive today. Which actually wouldn't surprise me that much.

i was going to say the same thing, in doctor whooves she isn't stupid, she is just clumsy, and she can easily keep up a conversation. People generally judge her because of her eyes, but i guess that if she wasn't wall-eyed,most people would think of her in a different way.

I just love derpy and also I don't really mind the censoring as I see Derpy, is
She is well like most said clumsy but i think the show made her a bit to clumsy if you know what I mean...

she should be portraied loving, kind and uplifting and also a bit clumsy but like I said before not THAT clumsy

Like they mentioned above me before like she is with docter whooves

Edited by Sensuna

YES FINALLY A DERPY THREAD THAT MAKES SENSE!

I think Derpy should have ONE episode. About how to be special and that just because you have a few faults doesn't mean you're stupid.

An episode about self esteem, that would be an amazing episode... 

• Brohoof 1

YES FINALLY A DERPY THREAD THAT MAKES SENSE!

I think Derpy should have ONE episode. About how to be special and that just because you have a few faults doesn't mean you're stupid.

An episode about self esteem, that would be an amazing episode... 

Maybe if that is how Derpy was introduced this controversy could have been avoided or at least be not as bad, what is done cannot be undone and as unlikely as a Derpy episode would be even one as positive as that I have seen more unlikely things happen. I have heard that Derpy will appear in the comics so here is hoping that could make a show appearance more likely.

• Brohoof 1