What Were "Ponies" To You Before FiM?

Zero000

(edited)

My Little Pony,

So skinny and bony.

Farted on purpose,

and blew up the circus.

Reminds me of that anti-barney version of the barney theme song from my early grade school years, "I hate you u hate me we both go and kill barney with a shot gun bang bang barney's on the floor no more purple dinosaur."

Edited by Pegasus25

RaritySignature.png

I thought of "ponies" as animals. If you refer to My Little Pony specifically, I thought it was some stupid girly stuff like Barbie and such. Which, well, it was. I did play with it many years ago, though, for reasons I can't think of.

I frequently edit my new posts to fix grammatical errors or to reword stuff, so sorry if I make it look like I'm forging my messages to change the meaning of anyone's replies or something.

Reading the blog below kills more brain cells per minute than smoking:

• 7 years later...

One of several hand-me-down cassettes from my cousins, along with other 80s classics such as Transformers, Thundercats and Masters of the Universe.

(Only in retrospect do I realise that unlike all the others, the pony cassette/storybook was not based on any American cartoon, but rather our own unique British MLP continuity.)

Before MLP they were THE embodiment of everything girly, represented in the shape of a little abstraction of a toy horse with usually pink colors and sparkles. 

When I was around 15 and was having my worst gender identity crisis to accept that I wouldn't be able to be what I actually was inside (this was way before all the transgender movement was a thing everyone was talking about (or will be talked about someday in my country), I thought myself as tomboy at the time), before my quinceañera I bought a pony from MLP at that time to "represent" my acceptance/defeat for what they were going to present me as to my family and the community: a woman. From then on I would have to accept the girl/woman way of being so better get started by forcing myself to like it and just comply to everything that they wanted me to be. I threw away my toys, I hid my videogames and replaced everything with makeup and hadbags having the pony being the starter of it all. I got rid of the toy and everything else before knowing of FIM. 

Now with MLP FIM, I don't see the ponies as similar to a prison. On the contrary, I can find myself in them too. And for that I'm all greateful :)

Edited by Ittoni

13 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Before MLP they were THE embodiment of everything girly, represented in the shape of a little abstraction of a toy horse with usually pink colors and sparkles. 

When I was around 15 and was having my worst gender identity crisis to accept that I wouldn't be able to be what I actually was inside (this was way before all the transgender movement was a thing everyone was talking about (or will be talked about someday in my country), I thought myself as tomboy at the time), before my quinceañera I bought a pony from MLP at that time to "represent" my acceptance/defeat for what they were going to present me as to my family and the community: a woman. From then on I would have to accept the girl/woman way of being so better get started by forcing myself to like it and just comply to everything that they wanted me to be. I threw away my toys, I hid my videogames and replaced everything with makeup and hadbags having the pony being the starter of it all. I got rid of the toy and everything else before knowing of FIM. 

Now with MLP FIM, I don't see the ponies as similar to a prison. On the contrary, I can find myself in them too. And for that I'm all greateful :)

Wow - after that, It's amazing you're able to love them. 

Has the situation improved at all for you since?

19 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Wow - after that, It's amazing you're able to love them. 

Has the situation improved at all for you since?

kinda. Socially i'm still half way inside the closet because i still have some things i need to work on before throwing myself out. Regarding the ponies, when i first saw the memes i was very surprised and incredulous to what i was seeing. That's what pulled me into the FIM show. They were so different that i could have never imagined this change. I was skeptic but kept watching until i couldn't watch away because first of all they were at least funny and the animation was amazing, the premise of friendship was appealing. I was one of those that saw rainbow and thought "hey! that was me when i was younger". They have helped me a lot in my journey to rediscover myself.

kinda funny because they represented my imprisonment  too. They saved me from themselves.

3 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

kinda. Socially i'm still half way inside the closet because i still have some things i need to work on before throwing myself out. Regarding the ponies, when i first saw the memes i was very surprised and incredulous to what i was seeing. That's what pulled me into the FIM show. They were so different that i could have never imagined this change. I was skeptic but kept watching until i couldn't watch away because first of all they were at least funny and the animation was amazing, the premise of friendship was appealing. I was one of those that saw rainbow and thought "hey! that was me when i was younger". They have helped me a lot in my journey to rediscover myself.

kinda funny because they represented my imprisonment  too. They saved me from themselves.

I wish you the best of luck, then.

Were the ponies of your imprisonment G1, G2, or G3?

2 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

I wish you the best of luck, then.

Were the ponies of your imprisonment G1, G2, or G3?

i think it was G3. This is the pony i bought back then

Sparkleworks_300_L_spoosh.jpg

i still remember the name. She's Fireworks. I chose her because it was the least girly.

I knew about the ponies before but my approach was the same as anyone else (until that day). I just saw them from afar and thought they were too much girl. They were one of the most prominent item in the girls toy section along with barbie.

Just now, Ittoni said:

i think it was G3. This is the pony i bought back then

Sparkleworks_300_L_spoosh.jpg

i still remember the name. She's Fireworks. I chose her because it was the least girly.

I knew about the ponies before but my approach was the same as anyone else (until that day). I just saw them from afar and thought they were too much girl. They were one of the most prominent item in the girls toy section along with barbie.

Yeah, G3 were pretty girly (though Fireworks does seem potentially feisty). But then, I don't know if I want pony to lose that - I've been worried for a while that FIM might be drifting away from something little girls can love. Will G5 have any girliness left?

Just now, Latecomer said:

Yeah, G3 were pretty girly (though Fireworks does seem potentially feisty). But then, I don't know if I want pony to lose that - I've been worried for a while that FIM might be drifting away from something little girls can love. Will G5 have any girliness left?

I would say that they are actually trying to go back to the girly a bit more. Mostly because of Hasbro. They will never let MLP become as "liberal" as this again. but that's my guess. Who knows. Hopefully they will know what to do.

Just now, Ittoni said:

I would say that they are actually trying to go back to the girly a bit more. Mostly because of Hasbro. They will never let MLP become as "liberal" as this again. but that's my guess. Who knows. Hopefully they will know what to do.

Not sure what you mean by "liberal", but Hasbro in general has been making tentative steps towards gender neutrality lately.

But part of the ponies charm comes from their feminine elements, so I hope they find a way to sell to both girls and boys without sacrificing those. 

And of course TV wise, kids should remain the priority audience.

7 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Not sure what you mean by "liberal"

i'm just saying what you guys say in the US, or at least how i understand it. liberal VS conservative and that. From what i understand, the lgbt movement is liberal. But if i'm not correct i apologize. 

1 minute ago, Ittoni said:

i'm just saying what you guys say in the US, or at least how i understand it. liberal VS conservative and that. From what i understand, the lgbt movement is liberal. But if i'm not correct i apologize. 

That's correct, but I'm not sure what's so especially liberal about FIM that won't be repeated.

(Also, not American.)

Edited by Latecomer

Small horses.

I wasn't aware of the show at all before FiM came out. After that, I knew it as a meme where grown up guys watch it for some weird reason, until I got curious enough to watch it myself.