gaming The point of games like DayZ/WarZ?

khaine21x3

I don't get it, I see youtube vids showing people walking around to scavenge stuff then randomly killing other player with some zombies thrown in.

Which part of the game do you derive enjoyment from if you play any of those games?

It's the challenge of surviving in a harsh environment. I don't personally play these games but I do understand the appeal. It's like hardcore mode on Fallout New Vegas, you have to stop and eat, stay hydrated, sleep, taking time away from adventuring when wounded to allow bones to heal (which can take months in game).

As for the killing of other player I'm assuming that's something that must be done to survive. The zombies add an extra element of danger.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

You mean MMO's?

I've played them before. They're not really my cup of tea. They're much more fun when you play with friends. I don't think they're meant to be played alone...

If you're like me and prefer playing games alone, and like having an engaging and immersive story to keep you playing, MMO's probably aren't for you. It doesn't mean they're bad games, it just means that they might not be the game for you.

Edited by UrdiePie
  • Brohoof 1

While I can't say I like the games, I see why some people do. As said, it's quite challenging. And some people just like a good challenge.

There's also Mine-Z. Which I semi avidly play. It's much more fun with a clan so you can get right into stuff. You play the game for the first time, on a whim. Then you get killed and go back for revenge. It's just fun to see how long you can survive. Personally, I've questioned why I play it myself, but I continue to do so because it's fun. Time wasting is a big attraction to me, so having a clan to get me stuff is even more exciting. Obviously they're not just there to get me stuff, they help me along, give me tips, communicate with me through Skype whilst playing. Going on adventures to places you haven't explored is really fun too. I personally want to go out and see as much of the landscape as I can. It's just fun and exhilarating. That's all there is too it! You die, you respawn. When you get down on yourself for dying is when you lose the game. Keep your drive and go for the gold, I guarantee that you will at least have fun in doing so!

-TheDragoniteDestiny/DawnEnigma

Same reasons you play the games you play. All games can be generalized down to the some of the same basic mechanics. All games have a goal. Where do you get enjoyment from the games you play?

Same reasons you play the games you play. All games can be generalized down to the some of the same basic mechanics. All games have a goal. Where do you get enjoyment from the games you play?

FPS = the killing part

mmorpg = collection loot and raiding bosses

hack and slash rpg = killing mobs in creative ways

platformer = the pacing and difficulty

bullet hell = in addition to being hard I find the whole japanese tradition of making all the characters lolicons to be amusing

FPS = the killing part

mmorpg = collection loot and raiding bosses

hack and slash rpg = killing mobs in creative ways

platformer = the pacing and difficulty

bullet hell = in addition to being hard I find the whole japanese tradition of making all the characters lolicons to be amusing

DayZ and WarZ share at least one thing in common with all of those game categories that you posted. Why don't you like them then?

I think it's mainly due to the survival aspect of the game and that you're in this whole zombie apocalypse thing. In recent years games and movies have used zombies as they're very popular and are very easy to recreate.

The appeal is that unlike other Zombie games like Left for Dead you're actually trying to survive rather than just blasting every undead than you can point your gun at and everybody loves a little bit of PVP. It's a nice challenge and something a little different from the majority of releases we've seen in the past year or so.

That said, I don't think Day Z or The War Z are great games, especially The War Z which...well we all know about that nonsense. I like sandbox games but I feel there's far too much downtime in those games.

• Brohoof 1

@@Bohtty,

I think I'd prefer to just to go around shooting zombies than having to scavenge for stuff,  a zombie mmo is fine but I'd prefer a much more action oriented game.I'm fantasizing a sandbox game with civilians, tanks, planes and zombies .

I'm fantasizing a sandbox game with civilians, tanks, planes and zombies .

Arma II, the game that DayZ is a mod for, has planes, tanks, civilians and clearly could have zombies. Day Z does have planes/helicopters, boats, cars, but no tank.

Arma III, which is coming out this year, will be a better and will thus, hopefully, allow for better modding. 

I like these kind of games, specially because they are perma-death games, so it make things more interesting and i feel challenged by these kind of games too, to see how far can i survive.

What's the point in them you ask?

To prepare us for the inevitable upcoming Zombie Apocalypse of course!

Thanks to WarZ I know that if I need supplies I should just stand in a wooded area and wait for someone to spawn I front of me, hit them repeatedly with a flashlight and then steal theirs oats and soda.

Thanks to DayZ I know that you can't trust anyone, even rabbits, any of them could be a hacker with a 1 shot kill gun!

I'm prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse, are you? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Man DayZ looks so fun, it basically recreates survival of human needs that you cannot ignore in real life, encourages role play, and actually is something worth playing in my opinion, besides, I think L4D is a crappy game.

Its more or less the rush of trying to survive in a post apocalyptic land for DayZ Atleast thats how i assume it is. I've never played the game to be quite honest :P.

The fact there is other players also makes it more challenging. Its really just trying to survive gives you a rush in a way I guess, and people enjoy it.

I don't really know since I've not played either of these games. Honestly the closest thing I've played to that is Minecraft, and I'm more concerned about building in that game in most cases :P.

It puts your mind in real life-ish situations in terms of survival. How will you be able to trek along in a wide open world in a zombie apocalypse. The other big factor is that it's like a social experiment. You encounter other player in the game. Should you team up with them to survive or merely rob and kill them on the spot. Those kinds of aspects. I enjoy the whole dynamic of trusting complete strangers in order for you and other players to survive. It's what makes the DayZ mod (and hopefully the upcoming standalone) really fun to play.

No I did not and will never play The WarZ. That game was the definition of a cash grab.

Edited by Steamgamer27

I'll explain from the point of DayZ, as that's what I've played a lot. I find it fun with that first moment of being dropped into an unknown land with only a soda can and a can of beans. From there, you are on your own(Unless you have friends). Scavenge supplies to survive, travel around the continent, avoiding zombies. It's the enjoyment of experiencing a zombie apocalypse, without actually being stuck in one. That's what I find fun about DayZ.

I don't get it, I see youtube vids showing people walking around to scavenge stuff then randomly killing other player with some zombies thrown in.

Which part of the game do you derive enjoyment from if you play any of those games?

"The WarZ" is a pile of crap. It's a copy of DayZ from the same developer who brought you "Big Rigs: Off The Road Racing". It was so bad Steam pulled it from their store and offered refunds to players who had bought it. It was a horrible cash cow piggybacking on DayZ's popularity.

Cough.

As for DayZ, why do I like it?

Realism: weapons and firefights are more realistic than most other games, which makes sense seeing it's a mod for a military simulation.

Exploration: the map is huge and detailed, and the various places have plenty of character and hidden dangers, with remote areas up North and more plentiful but dangerous Southern cities. You can spend hours running to varous places without getting bored.

Thrill: unlike many games, you never know when you'll run into someone, and death makes you lose everything. Combined with realistic weapons that can easily kill you in one or two shots, this means fights are a LOT more scary and exciting, and winning a firefight is actually an accomplishment you can be proud of.

Add in the fun of playing with a group of people and preying on survivors or taking out bandit clans... it's almost perfect.

@@Bohtty,

I

think I'd prefer to just to go around shooting zombies than having to

scavenge for stuff,  a zombie mmo is fine but I'd prefer a much more

action oriented game.I'm fantasizing a sandbox game with civilians,

tanks, planes and zombies .

In that case you need to look at the DayZ + Wasteland servers. Wasteland with zombies, and weapons nearly everywhere.

Edited by Goose