Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who's stronger, Applejack or Rainbow Dash?

TheMarkz0ne

Rainbow Dash or Apple Jack  

44 users have voted

1. 1. Who's a better athlete?

• Rainbow Dash
    • Apple Jack

You're joking, right? If anything, flight would take up more stamina than running. Rainbow is a trained athlete on a professional level, while Applejack is too busy with the farm to dedicate any of her time to serious training. There is a huge difference between a professional athlete and an occasional athlete.

When Applejack and Rainbow Dash were competing against each other in the Iron Pony Competition in Fall Weather Friends, Rainbow Dash only "won" because she used her wings and flight ability to cheat. There were even hints that Rainbow Dash was struggling against Applejack until she used her wings.

Besides, the proper definition of "athletics" includes a set of events based on running, jumping and throwing, not flying. Since we've seen Rainbow Dash struggling many times against Applejack before using her wings, it's obviously clear that Applejack is more athletic. We've also seen Rainbow Dash appear in flight mostly whenever we saw her, whether she's flying through the air or just hovering off the ground.

Even if flight doesn't count as athletics, Rainbow Dash is basically only using her wings to propel herself through the air, while actually running and jumping require multiple muscles.

Edited by Mars Brown

When it comes down to it Applejack clearly has more physcial strength and endurance from long hours of apple bucking and she seems to have good cordination. Rainbow Dash clearly has more agillity, (she was slower than Applejack but didn't hit a barrel and turned in ninety degree angles between closely spaced pets without touching a single one) I would also suspect Applejack is a faster runner by sheer hindleg power, where Rainbow's probably light and sleek. Dash probably has better cordination and can judge distances, (that's required for flying)

So Rainbow is better at sports but Applejack is stronger and faster.

• Brohoof 2

That's easy! Of course it would be Applejack for multiple reasons. She's bucking trees all day and working hard on the farm. That's just what she does, "faithful and strong." Rainbow Dash may be fast, but she is not strong. I would think that pegasi would be the weakest pony type because they can fly. They need to be light and swift. RD may be athletic, but I've never thought of her as "strong."

When Applejack and Rainbow Dash were competing against each other in the Iron Pony Competition in Fall Weather Friends, Rainbow Dash only "won" because she used her wings and flight ability to cheat. There were even hints that Rainbow Dash was struggling against Applejack until she used her wings.

Besides, the proper definition of "athletics" includes a set of events based on running, jumping and throwing, not flying. Since we've seen Rainbow Dash struggling many times against Applejack before using her wings, it's obviously clear that Applejack is more athletic. We've also seen Rainbow Dash appear in flight mostly whenever we saw her, whether she's flying through the air or just hovering off the ground.

The definition of Athletics is a human definition. We obviously cannot fly, so it stands to reason that we would not include flight in our definition of athletic competition. If we are talking about Pegasai however, they can fly; so yes I would consider flight as athletic.

Rainbow Dash' top speed without the sonic Rainboom is Mach 5. Going at these speeds would put enormous strain on the body, much more than a simple jog or foot race. She would have to have massive wing and core strength to maintain her speeds.

It would require a lot more phisycal strength and stamina to fly.

Also the fact that she can break the sound barrier speaks volumes.

As for her having to cheat against applejack, that said more about her competitive nature rather than her Athletic ability.

Edited by ~Lawful Jordo~

The definition of Athletics is a human definition. We obviously cannot fly, so it stands to reason that we would not include flight in our definition of athletic competition. If we are talking about Pegasai however, they can fly; so yes I would consider flight as athletic.

Rainbow Dash' top speed without the sonic Rainboom is Mach 5. Going at these speeds would put enormous strain on the body, much more than a simple jog or foot race. She would have to have massive wing and core strength to maintain her speeds.

As for her having to cheat against applejack, that said more about her competitive nature rather than her Athletic ability.

I can't help but disagree with that. I would think that flying creatures would be light-boned and less muscular to be able to fly.

Applejack said herself that the Iron Hoof Competition is to test her and Rainbow Dash's athletic ability, and since she accused Rainbow Dash for cheating by flight, it is clear that flying is not considered to be athletic in Equestria.

You may have a point for some of this, but what about the 4th sentence? Like what PinkiePie Forever said, there are creatures that require less muscles to fly. And what if you're not even flying at a high speed?

Like I said, we were also hinted that Rainbow Dash was struggling against Applejack before using her wings.

Edited by Mars Brown
  • Brohoof 1

I can't help but disagree with that. I would think that flying creatures would be light-boned and less muscular to be able to fly.

If we're talking real world physics, Pegasai wouldn't be able to fly period, let alone fly at those speeds.

I agree their bones would likely be hollow, but being aerodynamic does not mean she isn't strong. She would need massive core strength to support her equine body type, as well as massive wing strength for acceleration/to maintain her speed.

It has been proven time and time again that she is very durable, able to smash into solid rock and survive super sonic speeds.

Well let's look at all the facts. 1: natural strength-earthponies are normally stronger then most ponies and it's showed in magical mystery cure that applejack is one of the only mares that can buck apple trees. point applejack.

2:Speed- When on the ground there equal in speed but Rainbow is much faster when she uses her wings and can reach mock 5 without the sonic rainboom. point Dash

3:Endurance- Rainbow has showed that she can survive bone breaking injuries and get right back up, but applejack probably runs on the same physics so this is a tie.

TIE BREAKER:personality- Appeljack has showed that she is honest to the end except when it benefits her friends and not just herself. But Rainbow gave up her dream just for the safety of her own friends and that speaks way more volumes for me.

RAINBOW WINS!!!!

If we're talking real world physics, Pegasai wouldn't be able to fly period, let alone fly at those speeds.

I agree their bones would likely be hollow, but being aerodynamic does not mean she isn't strong. She would need massive core strength to support her equine body type, as well as massive wing strength for acceleration/to maintain her speed.

It has been proven time and time again that she is very durable, able to smash into solid rock and survive super sonic speeds.

That is all true, but I wouldn't think she would be nearly as strong as somepony like Applejack who works on a farm. They both work very hard, but in different areas: Speed and Strength. RD is very fast and agile, but in the end Applejack would be the strongest, in my opinion. RD is strong, though, but I wouldn't think she would be as strong as AJ. 

Where are all these "Mach 5" and "Mach 9" benchmarks coming from? The speed of sound is Mach 1. Rainbow can only fly just above that speed to pull off her Rainbooms.

Additionally, flight is not dependent on strength, but on technique. Much like an eagle or a falcon, gaining maximum speed in flight depends on correctly positioning each feather you have, so that you can streamline. Undoubtedly it takes an enormous amount of skill, but not strength.

I'd also like to remind people that upper strength is still inconsistent. Rainbow Dash showed superior upper strength in the hoof-wrestle, but Applejack showed superior upper strength in the tug of war. The one other event, the press-up competition, was a tie. (Wings are discounted as they are their own muscles - they're neither upper nor lower body strength.)

• Brohoof 1

I think it's hard to say who is stronger than the other because one is a pegasi and the other an earth pony. That would be like comparing oranges and apples.

Rainbow Dash has a definitive advantages with her wings. That's a 3rd pair of limbs, which is one more than Applejack. That must give her some additional strenght to beat Applejack in things like tug rope. Then again, her wings have to support her own weight if she is to fly, so she must have pretty strong whooves.

I think Applejack has a stronger pair of rear hooves from all the applebucking she does on her farm. This gives her an advantage in things like height jumping, but what's this compared to flying?

I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses and we shouldn't compare both because of the nature of the ponies. We would have to take Dash's wings off than have both compete against each other to really know. But the only that has happened is during the Falling of the Leaves marathon and both spent the whole race fighting rather than running.

Applejack said herself that the Iron Hoof Competition is to test her and Rainbow Dash's athletic ability, and since she accused Rainbow Dash for cheating by flight, it is clear that flying is not considered to be athletic in Equestria.

You may have a point for some of this, but what about the 4th sentence? Like what PinkiePie Forever said, there are creatures that require less muscles to fly. And what if you're not even flying at a high speed?

Like I said, we were also hinted that Rainbow Dash was struggling against Applejack before using her wings.

Maybe not to earth ponies, but flight is athletic to those who can fly. Of course applejack wouldn't agree to a flight competition, she can't fly. I think the 'flying is cheating' rule was specific to this particular competition. I'm sure flight would be included if they were both Pegasai.

And sure she was struggling against Applejack, that doesn't mean she was about to lose. All that means is that they are fairly evenly matched without wings.

Rainbow probably wasn't expecting it to be that close, so due to her competitive nature at the time, she would rather cheat than risk losing.

Your topic is similar to an already existing thread, so I have merged your thread into that older one. I kept your poll, though. 

Thanks dude!  I was wondering if this was already there.  I am mighty thankfully to you for moving it for me to the proper place.

Where are all these "Mach 5" and "Mach 9" benchmarks coming from? The speed of sound is Mach 1. Rainbow can only fly just above that speed to pull off her Rainbooms.

Additionally, flight is not dependent on strength, but on technique. Much like an eagle or a falcon, gaining maximum speed in flight depends on correctly positioning each feather you have, so that you can streamline. Undoubtedly it takes an enormous amount of skill, but not strength.

I'd also like to remind people that upper strength is still inconsistent. Rainbow Dash showed superior upper strength in the hoof-wrestle, but Applejack showed superior upper strength in the tug of war. The one other event, the press-up competition, was a tie. (Wings are discounted as they are their own muscles - they're neither upper nor lower body strength.)

To answer the question of her speeds, you can figure it out by looking at the Mach cone that sometimes forms around her when she flies. According to the angle of the Mach cone, she is moving at roughly Mach 5 speeds. Her speed doubles instintaniously to Mach 10 when she goes sonic Rainboom.

To answer the question of her speeds, you can figure it out by looking at the Mach cone that sometimes forms around her when she flies. According to the angle of the Mach cone, she is moving at roughly Mach 5 speeds. Her speed doubles instintaniously to Mach 10 when she goes sonic Rainboom.

I'm sure you've seen the famous MLP physics presentation, where the speed she reached prior to breaking the sound barrier - by measuring the Mach cone - did not correspond with the actual speed of sound. One cannot take the Mach cone to be an accurate basis for her flight speed. 

well I don't think we can really rely on the show's consistency. I doubt writers had a sort of chart on their stats on how many strength points each one has. But putting that all that aside, I'd say Applejack is physically stronger though RD has more of an advantage due in part to her wings and ability to fly.

Sure Applejack can buck a tree and apples come falling down by the dozens. But that's what her family has been doing for generations and probably what she's been focusing on since she was young. Her family line probably developed stronger legs for each generation that gets born.

I'm sure RD can kick too but not as hard as Applejack does. With the use of wings though, RD can have better results. She can fly straight towards the tree and apply a stronger force. Does that make her stronger? Nope. But did she apply a greater force? Yes. That's because she used her momentum rather than brute strength. Seeing as pegasi spend alot of time flying rather than walking, I garner their legs aren't as strongly developed as the earth ponies do. Earth ponies don't have the benefit of wings or magic to make their work easier.. so I imagine they are physically stronger even if by a bit to the other species since manual labor is already a part of their regular life to begin with.

Regardless of everything else. Lets just remember that the show is mainly targeted towards kids and not the more sophisticated teen to adult audience demographic of us, the Bronies.

smile.png

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash is not stronger than Applejack with or without wings. If Rainbow's wings were any kind of a factor of strength, how come she couldn't hold back the carriage bus in MMDW?

640px-Rainbow_Dash_stopping_the_cart_S2E

Applejack stopped it with her whole body, and she doesn't have wings at all. She's stronger than RD overall. Rainbow Dash even said "Mare Do Well is stronger than me?"

Fall Weather Friends was absolutely inconsistent as to who was the stronger pony, but later episodes are pretty clear that AJ is stronger. She doesn't say "Faithful and strong" for nothing.

Also, going by one hoof wrassle where Dash wins means little, because arm wrestling (which the hoof wrassle is based off of) is more about technique than anything. Dash is a better technician, and I can easily see that. To be honest, the plot called for them to both win a bunch of events, and only a handful of the ones in which Dash won made any kind of sense.

I'll give it to Dash that she's more athletic and is overall more agile, but Applejack wins in pure strength.

• Brohoof 2

AJ=Power

RD=Speed

It's as simple as that. Most earth ponies participate in activities that emphasize strength while since pegasai work up in the sky in the weather factory, they must do things as quickly as possible, which is why RD can clear the skies in 10 seconds flat.