Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

You mean this?

http://www.themarysue.com/tara-strong-interview/

"Well the good news is, Twilight is going to stay Twilight. She is overwhelmed and surprised and grateful for this new phase in her life but it’s not going to change how she is or how she interacts with her friends, she’s staying in Ponyville. I’m certainly not changing any of my performance and it’s really the same Twilight except she can do more stuff now. She can fly…it’s not going to change the overall feel of the show, she’s going to be with the Mane 6. It’s just Twilight but a little bit better, she can do more stuff! But overall, it’s not really going to change that much. I think that’s what everybody’s afraid of, that it’s going to change sort of that core element that everyone fell in love with these six characters and that’s not going to change at all. I’m not changing a thing about my performance."

Yes this is what I've been looking for, thank you!

I for somereason thought it was on twitter dunno why. Thank you for digging this up for me :).

Yes this is what I've been looking for, thank you!

I for somereason thought it was on twitter dunno why. Thank you for digging this up for me smile.png.

Actually, I signed up just to post that. it wasn't that hard to find, I just searched it up on Google. ^_^

So, I guess the admins can thank you for bringing in another member. 

--- 

On Topic:

So yeah. From what I've posted above, I'm pretty sure she's staying an Alicorn.

I would stop watching the show entirely if she was removed from it, honestly. It feels like the show has been building up to it (for 3 whole seasons!), and to just get rid of it would ruin the show for me.

• Brohoof 1

One common refrain I hear is that people dislike the idea of Twilight being elevated above her friends or becoming better than them. However, thinking that denies her role as part of the mane six throughout the show. She isn't better, but she does stand apart by being an outsider (at first) in town, Celestia's student, and wielding the element of magic that funnels and focuses the other elements i.e. the organizer and de facto leader. Her element is a crown, which was not a random choice, but strong foreshadowing. Her cutie mark is five small stars (her friends) and the center star represents her and again strong foreshadowing as to her role. The other thing too is that her friends already know how powerful,and gifted she is and they don't care. They still love her. Remember back to the first episode with Trixie and how Twi was so scared to show her magic for fear it would set her apart. Well, it did but in a good way. Her friends understood that her amazing power was a part of her and needed to be embraced. She could still be adorkable, very OCD, and yet very powerful. The one thing about the show is that all the leaders: Celestia, Luna, Cadance and now Twilight are very imperfect and flawed leaders. This is not how most shows portray leaders or how we may view the powerful in the real world. Twilight's role now, and the role she's always had, was to be the Princess of Friendship. That is her destiny. Taking that away from her would make as much sense as taking Luke Skywalker's Jedi status away. Both are better than their friends, more powerful, but not Better with a capital B. Being the Princess of Friendship would require her to have friends! Just like Cadance needed to find love with Shining Armor. So I don't see Twilight living in Cantorlot (been there and done that and was forced out of her Ivory Tower) or being carried around in a chariot. To put it another way, I see her as the Ponies's Princess to borrow a phrase.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Well I have to say that as long as they don't make her an immortal who outlives her friends, I have an otherwise open mind to Twilicorn.

I don't think they'd officially confirm or deny alicorn immortality in the show, but I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It's the equivalent of Celestia saying, "You have learned so much about friendship, Twilight. Now become a princess so that you can outlive every friend you ever make!"

The time of Princess Twilight is one of the most amazing eras I've been to. Saddly it doesn't last as long as I'd like. None the less, enjoy it while it lasts! You're gonna miss her when's she's gone..

The time of Princess Twilight is one of the most amazing eras I've been to. Saddly it doesn't last as long as I'd like. None the less, enjoy it while it lasts! You're gonna miss her when's she's gone..

Don't be cryptic just because your username is Dr Whooves! laugh.png  You're not a real time traveler! (Though it would be useful if you were. This thread could be solved 9 months early!)

I think in the season 4 premiere they will have another save the world type of deal. She might lose her wings temporarily, but she should get them back eventually because, she is a Princess now.

Don't be cryptic just because your username is Dr Whooves! img-1294948-1-laugh.png  You're not a real time traveler! (Though it would be useful if you were. This thread could be solved 9 months early!)

Pff! I have photographic proof! See? 

TwilicornNO.png

When I saw this part, it broke my hearts. But, fixed points timy-wimy can't change it. Sometimes I wish I could tho, heh.

Edited by Dr Whooves

img-1295007-2-TwilicornNO.png

When I saw this part, it broke my hearts. But, fixed points timy-wimy can't change it. Sometimes I wish I could tho, heh.

SEEMS LEGIT

OK man, I'm taking your word for it. Close the thread! It's temporary! It's official! No need to keep squabbling now that we have our answer!

• Brohoof 1

I just want to throw in my two cents by saying, if the writers back out of this and return Twilight to her initial unicorn self, I will lose a lot of respect for the show and its writers.

It's one thing to make an unpopular decision, while people may not like it, at least you stand by your decision, but to back out of that decision because people don't like it is even worse than the initial bad decision. Maybe it's for the better if given enough time to grow, or maybe it's doomed to fail. It doesn't matter if they back out before we have a chance to find out because some vocal bronies can't handle a little change. If the idea really does fall flat, then I'll be more than happy to accept Princess Twilight as temporary and for things to go back to normal, but it should at least go on for a season or two before I'll accept that they changed their minds because it was a bad idea rather than simply an unpopular decision. At least they stood by their decision long enough to make a proper choice.

Although, seeing how well written most of the episodes are, I have trouble believing that this will turn out for the worse, so I can't think of any reason (other than cowardice) why Twilight's change will be anything but permanent.

• Brohoof 1

img-1295007-2-TwilicornNO.png

Where did you get that from?  Is that even legit?

Is it from one of the storyboard artists?  Or, did you draw that yourself just to fool us?

Not sure a professional artist would risk their career with a leak unless the staff are messing with the fandom. The episode hinted strongly that the change came from within Twilight herself and she'll have to accept it just like she had to accept that she had powerful magic that her friends might envy, but ended up not. Twilight always stood apart from her friends with her magic, her element crown, and even something as simple as being given a new, higher, not better, but different status in Winter Wrap Up. The other thing too is that each princess is shown, especially Luna, as imperfect and I really think Twilight will be the same if not even more so. She'll still mess up and be adorkable because the show is great at allowing the characters to grow and yet be true to their core makeup. If the pic makes you feel better cool, but the truth is still months away. :-) You should Tweet that pic to Meghan McCarthy. Not sure she'd react, but who knows.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 3

I think her wings are here to stay, it opens up more adventures that involve flight to her, it will also make her and rainbow dash closer friends. she is still the same twi just with wings and "princess" in front of her name

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think her wings are here to stay, it opens up more adventures that involve flight to her, it will also make her and rainbow dash closer friends. she is still the same twi just with wings and "princess" in front of her name

But at the same time, you have tons of bronies writing fanfics, comics, and flash-cartoons about Twilight the alicorn outliving all of her friends, whether because of immortality or a longer lifespan, rather than growing old and dying together with them.

Though, in my opinion, I think Twilight still retained her mortality.  She will still grow old and die of old-age, and when Tara Strong said that Twilight will "live a long life," she probably meant that Twilight's lifespan is still the same as her friends' (around age eighty or so), it just happens to be long.  That means the only way she would attain true immortality is if she were to cast the same age spell on herself any time she grows too old, which will be highly unlikely.

It's the same way with Princess Cadence; like Arwen when she gave up immortality to marry Aragorn, Cadence would not have married Shining Armor if she were immortal, which she actually isn't.  Both Twilight and Cadence may be alicorns, but they don't have lifespans as long as Celestia and Luna's.  They're still normal ponies, just with both wings and horns all at once, as well as royal statuses, which means that, if anything, they can still grow old and die together with the other five main ponies and Shining Armor, respectively.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

But at the same time, you have tons of bronies writing fanfics, comics, and flash-cartoons about Twilight the alicorn outliving all of her friends, whether because of immortality or a longer lifespan, rather than growing old and dying together with them.

Though, in my opinion, I think Twilight still retained her mortality.  She will still grow old and die of old-age, and when Tara Strong said that Twilight will "live a long life," she probably meant that Twilight's lifespan is still the same as her friends' (around age eighty or so), it just happens to be long.  That means the only way she would attain true immortality is if she were to cast the same age spell on herself any time she grows too old, which will be highly unlikely.

It's the same way with Princess Cadence; like Arwen when she gave up immortality to marry Aragorn, Cadence would not have married Shining Armor if she were immortal, which she actually isn't.  Both Twilight and Cadence may be alicorns, but they don't have lifespans as long as Celestia and Luna's.  They're still normal ponies, just with both wings and horns all at once, as well as royal statuses, which means that, if anything, they can still grow old and die together with the other five main ponies and Shining Armor, respectively.

yea, but in all honesty that does not make any difference because the show is not going to go on for so long that it shows everypony growing old and dieing around twilight,

• Brohoof 1

When I wrote my own conflict/change inspired fanfic for another cult series two camps emerged. Revisionists like myself and those that embraced the changes but went way beyond canon. It's interesting that people embrace the imortality in fanfic. My guess is the writers may or may not deal with the topic and I highly doubt they the series last long enough to show her life cycle unless they flash forward.

(edited)

yea, but in all honesty that does not make any difference because the show is not going to go on for so long that it shows everypony growing old and dieing around twilight,

I highly doubt that.  My Little Pony is a show meant for little girls, meaning that it wasn't allowed to discuss death.  They couldn't even reveal if Applejack's parents were dead or not!  That means there will be almost no way that they'll kill off any of the characters (unless it's King Sombra, but even then he wasn't really a character to begin with), even if it's during the series finale.

On the contrary, it might as well end with Rainbow Dash and Rarity moving with Princess Twilight to Canterlot, so that they could become a Wonderbolt captain and Canterlot pony, respectively.  Around that time, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie are the ones who remain in Ponyville, as they reminisce about all the adventures they once had with Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow, while continuing their normal lives as a farm-pony, an animal caretaker, and a baker/foal-sitter/party-pony, respectively.

And, as I said before, I highly doubt Twilight will remain immortal, or live a long life.  After all, I don't see Cadence that way, either, not only because we saw her as an adolescent during Twilight's fillyhood, but also because she married herself to Shining Armor, who wasn't an alicorn himself, and wouldn't have done so had she been immortal.  Again, Cadence and Twilight may be alicorns, but they are not gods like Celestia and Luna, either, so they'll still grow old and die together with Shining Armor and the other five main ponies respectively.

Not all alicorns are going to be immortal gods like Celestia and Luna.  Some can be just regular mortals like every other pony, even with their royal statuses.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

I highly doubt that.  My Little Pony is a show meant for little girls, meaning that it wasn't allowed to discuss death.  They couldn't even reveal if Applejack's parents were dead or not!  That means there will be almost no way that they'll kill off any of the characters (unless it's King Sombra, but even then he wasn't really a character to begin with), even if it's during the series finale.

On the contrary, it might as well end with Rainbow Dash and Rarity moving with Princess Twilight to Canterlot, so that they could become a Wonderbolt captain and Canterlot pony, respectively.  Around that time, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie are the ones who remain in Ponyville, as they reminisce about all the adventures they once had with Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow, while continuing their normal lives as a farm-pony, an animal caretaker, and a baker/foal-sitter/party-pony, respectively.

And, as I said before, I highly doubt Twilight will remain immortal, or live a long life.  After all, I don't see Cadence that way, either, not only because we saw her as an adolescent during Twilight's fillyhood, but also because she married herself to Shining Armor, who wasn't an alicorn himself, and wouldn't have done so had she been immortal.  Again, Cadence and Twilight may be alicorns, but they are not gods like Celestia and Luna, either, so they'll still grow old and die together with Shining Armor and the other five main ponies respectively.

Not all alicorns are going to be immortal gods like Celestia and Luna.  Some can be just regular mortals like every other pony, even with their royal statuses.

I am sorry but it is hard to tell if you was agreeing with me or not, because I basically said the same thing in fewer words and in a diferfent way in the post you quote.

I am sorry but it is hard to tell if you was agreeing with me or not, because I basically said the same thing in fewer words and in a diferfent way in the post you quote.

Right.  I've misinterpreted you, and for that I deeply apologize, and hope you accept my apology.

So, what you actually said is that unless they do a time-skip, there will be almost no way they'll show the Mane Six growing old and dying, just to reveal if Twilight is immortal or not.  And, there will be no way they'll answer any questions regarding the average alicorn lifespan, either, whether it's Celestia and Luna's lifespan, or Twilight and Cadence's.  This means that, if anything, this topic might as well be debatable for all bronies like ourselves.

Right.  I've misinterpreted you, and for that I deeply apologize, and hope you accept my apology.

So, what you actually said is that unless they do a time-skip, there will be almost no way they'll show the Mane Six growing old and dying, just to reveal if Twilight is immortal or not.  And, there will be no way they'll answer any questions regarding the average alicorn lifespan, either, whether it's Celestia and Luna's lifespan, or Twilight and Cadence's.  This means that, if anything, this topic might as well be debatable for all bronies like ourselves.

I think what's annoying, is that by not confirming it in the show, us brones are left to debate and speculate wildly. And yet if they do confirm the truth in the show, they might upset a lot of people (If all alicorns are immortal) or make them cast doubt on certain things in the show. (i.e. Why Celestia and Luna are different, what's the point in both mortal and immortal rulers)

I think for them to not give us an answer is a slightly better option.

no problem, it is easy to not read something right and get the wrong idea. but the hub is making a show targeted at a younger group and unless they do a bunch of episodes and show everypony aging and all of twilights friends dieing off then twilight being a alicorn and out living all her friends is a moot point because the hub is not going to show it anyway< what kind of crap episode would rarity or applejacks funeral be anyway?

• Brohoof 1

I bet Twilight will be sent with her friends to bring harmony and diplomacy to other nations and their planet. They'll go on more adventures, meet more creatures and solve their problems, stop a few wars, accidentally start a few wars, and things like that.

If they got rid of her new powers/status/wings, they'd better have a good reason for rendering that last episode pointless as a stage of growth. (It was all a changeling dream...)

I can't see the status quo happening, Great Power requiring Great Responsibility and all. It'd be madness for a super-powerful, now famous leader to stay as the librarian in a small town.

Hmm, if she does go on adventures, it won't be easy for any of her friends to join her on a whim, except Spike.

Well, the problem is that the alicorn transformation was supposed to be tied to Twilight's character development, but the s3 finale did not really pull that off in a satisfying way.

If they were to reverse the transformation, would that nullify her personal development somehow? That is not entirely clear.

if they were to not reverse the transformation, will that change Twilight's relationship with her friends too much? Would she have to move away from them etc.? That is not entirely clear yet, either.

How much do the writers dare to change the show format in the name of character development?

I think she will stay an alicorn, but also stay in Ponyville somehow and do princess duties from there. Personality-wise, she will always be Twilight.

I think it will be temporary. The first episode of S4 will probably be another two part "save the world" thing again. In it they will probably have Twilight give up her wings to make her friends safe or save everyone to teach the target audience that you sometimes need to make a sacrifice to accomplish things or something of the like. This show is projected towards the target audience, of course.