Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

In a way that would make more sense would it?

One other possibility can be that the dev team is gonna take up trying to to mend the broken base (those of us that either like or dislike Alicorn Twilight) together by convincing the anti-alicorn Twilight fans that Twilight's ascension won't mess with the show's friendship theme and that there will be measures taken to balance Twilight's character out so we won't have to fear her being a mary sue or her overshadowing the rest of the Mane 6.

They might only remove Twilight's alicorn status if they fail to convince the anti-alicorn Twilight side of the broken base, OR, if the dev team themselves find it too difficult to write in decent character balance for Alicorn Twilight.

But if the alicorn ascension is indeed permanent, I suggest you anti-alicorn Twilight fans simply use the arts of Fanon Discontinuity to only regard the episodes before Magical Mystery Cure as canon.

Or, if you want to go that far, make the fan-edits of the post-Season 3 episodes I suggested in my earliest posts.

Sadly, I don't see the creators/dev team turning Twilight back into a "regular ol unicorn." 

To be quite blunt, I expect them to have a second ascension of sorts for the studious pony where the MLPFIM team follows Faust's original idea for Twilight to replace Celestia.  She'll become as tall as Princess Celestia, gain a flowing mane, and she'll lose her quirky personality as she assumes a more "regal" appearence to lead the ponies of Equestria.  This will probably happen near the season finale as Hasbro unveils a second "Princess Twilight" toy line in 2014. 

(Nonsensical rant of mine, don't have to look at it.  Just giving fair warning about it.)

This show is something I truly, truly enjoy, but with some of these things i'm seeing in it, I feel like Hasbro is just pimp slapping the fan base in their effort to push even more toy sales as hard as possible. 

In all honesty, I don't know what to think as of late.  That little part of me that had an endless love for the show kind died when Twilight ascended to "pretty, pretty princess status" due to the fact, imho, it goes beyond "doing it for the sake of the product" type of crap Hasbro usually says.  It feels like they have become even greedier, trying to wring the last bit of currency out of everyone, and the writers left to salvage what they can.  Still glad M.A. Larson handle the S3 finale.  Definitely feels like any other writer, beyond Meghan McCarthy or possibly Corey Powell, couldn't have handled it too well.

i can only hope, odds are it ain't happening though, we can go back and forth assuming what's going to happen, but none of us know what's in store for season 4 (unless of course another rumor comes along)

What would the point be of the entire finale if she doesn't keep her wings.  I don't see the problem with alicorn Twilight.  The show is about Twilight and this has been foreshadowed since the beginning.

(edited)

What would the point be of the entire finale if she doesn't keep her wings.  I don't see the problem with alicorn Twilight.  The show is about Twilight and this has been foreshadowed since the beginning.

even though i'm completely against the idea of alicorn Twilight i have to agree with you there, if they turned her back into a unicorn than what would be the point of the season 3 finale, plus i'm pretty sure it would piss off both sides of the Twilicorn argument

however i disagree with the "it was destined from the beginning" part, i don't want to say anything on behalf of Lauren Faust, but she stated on her Twitter that she had other plans, and the show isn't JUST about Twilight

Edited by Dr. Love

Luna has put these images into Twilight's brain while she's in a coma to make her think this was all happening. That's why Luna didn't say much during her coronation. Twilight's crown is actually a device meant to keep her asleep. This was all a simulation so Luna and Celestia could extract all the information in Twilight so they can use it to control the minds of all ponies.

::sarcasm::

Here is my idea:

The Season 4 opener will mirror Friendship is Magic part I & II from the first season, with the biggest difference being that Twilight is excited to reunite with her friends after a long break away from them, only to find that they are standoffish at best, often treating her more like royalty than a friend. After being alienated by all of her friends, Twilight returns to Ponyville library, to find the last pony, Pinkie Pie there with Spike. Spike explains that he has felt smothered ever since Twilight got her wings and has decided that he would be better off living on the moon. Now completely alienated by her friends and even Spike, Twilight leaves Ponyville and travels to the ancient ruins of the royal sisters, the place where they first discovered the Elements of Harmony and defeated Nightmare Moon. Suddenly, Discord appears, and attempts to cheer Twilight Sparkle up in parallel fashion to when he finally managed to corrupt Twilight in Return to Harmony part II. Twilight confesses to her enemy-turned-ally that being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be, and she'd give it all up just to be with her friends again. Discord claims he can help her, but Twilight is hesitant to trust him, as he has been known to deceive ponies in the past. Discord than promises he has no ulterior motive, and begins to show her how he was imprisoned the first time around many centuries before. Discord then creates a magical window into the past, and reveals to Twilight Sparkle that he was actually Starswirl the Bearded.

The second part of the opener begins with Twilight shocked at this revelation. Discord reveals that as a pony, he was very distant, and refused to make friends or open up to other ponies. Discord then shows Twilight that he had originally created the spell to change his own destiny, though Discord himself cannot actually remember why. He mentions that casting the incomplete spell causes total chaos, hence the swapping of her friends' cutie marks. When Starswirl had cast the spell however, he did not have any friends, and thus he was affected by the spell, transforming him into Discord; a living, breathing embodiment of chaos. Upon transformation, Discord had also accidentally changed the destinies of two young Unicorns, transforming them into Alicorns. After causing non-stop chaos for several years, the two Alicorns revealed to be Celestia and Luna turn him into stone using the elements of harmony. Discord then comes to the conclusion that he never needed the spell in the first place, as he and Twilight have both shown that they are in charge of their own destinies; Discord by becoming good, and Twilight by helping her friends find who they really are. After hearing this, Twilight decides to fly to Canterlot and request that she is turned back into a unicorn by Celestia, claiming that she does not need to be a princess to spread the power of friendship, and that she'd rather do so with her friends by her side than alone. Twilight is then turned into a unicorn again, and returns to Ponyville to be greeted by her friends, who now complete welcome her, and are touched that she would choose them over being royalty.

TL;DR:

Twilight decides she'd rather be a unicorn and have her friends, than be a princess and be alone.

Sounds like a nice theory, and I'd probably like it if season 4 opened like this, but I don't think it'll happen this way. For a start, I wouldn't think that Celestia would deliberately hide the fact that Discord is actually Star-Swirl, or indeed that Discord himself would hide it from Twilight. Also, I don't know about the rest of the mane six acting weirdly around Twilight for becoming a princess. The whole 'friendship lesson' thing has taken a massive back seat since season 3 began, anyway. As much as I'd like to see your theory come true, I genuinely can't see them making this a temporary change, especially since the whole "She's still a unicorn in the comics/Equestria Girls" argument has pretty much been debunked. (Comics take place before season 3 finale, Equestria Girls Twi now has wings etc.)

I'm expecting a new villain reveal, mainly because this is how every other season has started. (Possibly even Star-Swirl) Twilight will likely have to use her new-found abilities to stop him/her, and then move back to Ponyville.

Sadly, I don't see the creators/dev team turning Twilight back into a "regular ol unicorn." 

To be quite blunt, I expect them to have a second ascension of sorts for the studious pony where the MLPFIM team follows Faust's original idea for Twilight to replace Celestia.  She'll become as tall as Princess Celestia, gain a flowing mane, and she'll lose her quirky personality as she assumes a more "regal" appearence to lead the ponies of Equestria.  This will probably happen near the season finale as Hasbro unveils a second "Princess Twilight" toy line in 2014.

In all honesty, I don't know what to think as of late.  That little part of me that had an endless love for the show kind died when Twilight ascended to "pretty, pretty princess status" due to the fact, imho, it goes beyond "doing it for the sake of the product" type of crap Hasbro usually says.  It feels like they have become even greedier, trying to wring the last bit of currency out of everyone, and the writers left to salvage what they can.  Still glad M.A. Larson handle the S3 finale.  Definitely feels like any other writer, beyond Meghan McCarthy or possibly Corey Powell, couldn't have handled it too well.

I was thinking the same thing about a second ascension, probably at the end of the series. Lauren Faust already made it clear that she wanted Twilight to become Celestia's successor, so... how would that happen? Either Celestia dies (possibly in a Kung-Fu Panda style 'it is my time' deal) or she steps down from the throne willingly and becomes just an ordinary pony. At this point, if Twilight got the whole flowing mane like Celestia, that would pretty much make her immortality canon.

I'm going to say now that I couldn't care less if it was Faust's vision. I don't like the idea of Twilight being a princess and I especially hate the idea that Twilight would one day supplant Celestia. Like you said, the days of endless love for the show are over. Now it's a matter of 'making do' and hoping for the best.

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like a nice theory, and I'd probably like it if season 4 opened like this, but I don't think it'll happen this way. For a start, I wouldn't think that Celestia would deliberately hide the fact that Discord is actually Star-Swirl, or indeed that Discord himself would hide it from Twilight. Also, I don't know about the rest of the mane six acting weirdly around Twilight for becoming a princess. The whole 'friendship lesson' thing has taken a massive back seat since season 3 began, anyway. As much as I'd like to see your theory come true, I genuinely can't see them making this a temporary change, especially since the whole "She's still a unicorn in the comics/Equestria Girls" argument has pretty much been debunked. (Comics take place before season 3 finale, Equestria Girls Twi now has wings etc.)

Truthfully, I'd rather see Twilight sacrifice her wings and royalty for her friends/for the greater good than have her just remain a Princess, how it happens doesn't really matter to me. I can't help but feel choosing friends over personal gain is a much better lesson for children to learn than "sometimes you're greatly rewarded for very little effort on your part".

As for the whole Equestria Girls argument, I'm inclined to believe that the "official" art we've seen from it, isn't as legitimate as we think. The NY Times have been known to goof in the past, so using fan-art for a small image that is only barely related to their article doesn't seem that far-fetched. No doubt we'll see something on Equestria Girls at Comic Con this year, so I'm waiting for that rather than believing internet sources, especially third-party sources.

(edited)

Since everyone is fighting over Twilight being an Alicorn and spamming the heck out of the 

forums with this type of topic. I'm going to do it too. *squee*

I usually don't care for these types of things, but since i cant find a good post whether people

want her to stay an Alicorn or not, this will be the one to answer my month old question!

I'm starting a poll. If you would like to, please vote your opinion. psycho_twilight_avatar_by_jcfreak16-d4eh

Edited by KToadstool

Truthfully, I'd rather see Twilight sacrifice her wings and royalty for her friends/for the greater good than have her just remain a Princess, how it happens doesn't really matter to me. I can't help but feel choosing friends over personal gain is a much better lesson for children to learn than "sometimes you're greatly rewarded for very little effort on your part".

As for the whole Equestria Girls argument, I'm inclined to believe that the "official" art we've seen from it, isn't as legitimate as we think. The NY Times have been known to goof in the past, so using fan-art for a small image that is only barely related to their article doesn't seem that far-fetched. No doubt we'll see something on Equestria Girls at Comic Con this year, so I'm waiting for that rather than believing internet sources, especially third-party sources.

I think it's clear that she does choose her friends, but simply chooses them over a life as a royal in Canterlot. I've been reading up on this, and someone on EQD posted an explanation of the new Princess Twilight book, (I forget what it's called, something about 'Crystal Heart') which is set just after the coronation and mostly deals with Cadence explaining how she became an alicorn. (Supposedly, Cadence was once a pegasus, but was ascended to princess-hood after reforming a villain)

Now, I know that the immediate reaction would be, "But that's just a book! It's not necessarily canon!" The thing is, as the EQD poster made abundantly clear, Cadence's ascension was pretty much exactly like Twilight's, even down to the 'other world' where Celestia talks to her about her triumphs. There were also other references to the coronation, and considering that the book was completed before the finale aired, it's obvious that some details about the show were handed to the writers. For them to hand over true information about one thing and then hand over false information about another would be utterly ridiculous.

As for the rest of the story, Twilight quickly declines the offer for her own quarters at Canterlot and just goes back to Ponyville. Then comes some kind of ending moral about, "It is not what she does for the kingdom that makes a true princess, but the way in which she treats others. Princess or not, we a re all equals." So... Twi really doesn't have to give anything up to stay with her friends.

As for the Equestria Girls pic, I have no idea why you think it might be fake. If anything, it's more 'official' than the original pic that was first shown. I dislike Twilicorn too, but I genuinely can't see any scenario that would make them change her back and strip her of her princess-hood. It would go against everything that's happened thus far and against everything that Faust originally planned for, not to mention that the entire reason for season 3 in the first place was to build up to the coronation.

Absolutely everything points to it being permanent and absolutely nothing points to it being temporary. There is no logical reason why the writers would go with such a needless 'switcheroo', unless they created the entirety of season 3 just to troll us. The episode was confirmed to have been planned in November 2011. It was never a case of Hasbro wanting to sell toys and forcing the writers into anything.

I really don't know what else I can say, except that hoping for some kind of inexplicable scenario where everything is undone, is simply lining people up for disappointment. I expect once season 4 spoilers start popping up we'll have the definitive answer.

Off topic: You're on PSN? What games do you play? I have a serious lack of brony friends.

(edited)

I think it's clear that she does choose her friends, but simply chooses them over a life as a royal in Canterlot. I've been reading up on this, and someone on EQD posted an explanation of the new Princess Twilight book, (I forget what it's called, something about 'Crystal Heart') which is set just after the coronation and mostly deals with Cadence explaining how she became an alicorn. (Supposedly, Cadence was once a pegasus, but was ascended to princess-hood after reforming a villain)

Now, I know that the immediate reaction would be, "But that's just a book! It's not necessarily canon!" The thing is, as the EQD poster made abundantly clear, Cadence's ascension was pretty much exactly like Twilight's, even down to the 'other world' where Celestia talks to her about her triumphs. There were also other references to the coronation, and considering that the book was completed before the finale aired, it's obvious that some details about the show were handed to the writers. For them to hand over true information about one thing and then hand over false information about another would be utterly ridiculous.

As for the rest of the story, Twilight quickly declines the offer for her own quarters at Canterlot and just goes back to Ponyville. Then comes some kind of ending moral about, "It is not what she does for the kingdom that makes a true princess, but the way in which she treats others. Princess or not, we a re all equals." So... Twi really doesn't have to give anything up to stay with her friends.

As for the Equestria Girls pic, I have no idea why you think it might be fake. If anything, it's more 'official' than the original pic that was first shown. I dislike Twilicorn too, but I genuinely can't see any scenario that would make them change her back and strip her of her princess-hood. It would go against everything that's happened thus far and against everything that Faust originally planned for, not to mention that the entire reason for season 3 in the first place was to build up to the coronation.

Absolutely everything points to it being permanent and absolutely nothing points to it being temporary. There is no logical reason why the writers would go with such a needless 'switcheroo', unless they created the entirety of season 3 just to troll us. The episode was confirmed to have been planned in November 2011. It was never a case of Hasbro wanting to sell toys and forcing the writers into anything.

I really don't know what else I can say, except that hoping for some kind of inexplicable scenario where everything is undone, is simply lining people up for disappointment. I expect once season 4 spoilers start popping up we'll have the definitive answer.

Off topic: You're on PSN? What games do you play? I have a serious lack of brony friends.

Considering the Season 4 opener is going to tie-in directly to Magical Mystery Cure, I don't see why they aren't going to change her back. The actual conflict of the three-part story hasn't risen yet. Something is going to happen, and Twilight is going to be faced with a challenge. I can only imagine that challenge is choosing her royalty (or possibly powers) or her friends.

The writers have been teasing us the whole time. When asked "how are they going to balance Twilight and her friends" Meghan McCarthy simply responded: "You will find out". They're either going to return Twilight to normal, or buff her friends (presumably by turning them into Alicorns as well). Otherwise, why should anyone care about her friends (who at the current moment, are simply Twilight's minions) when they can watch Twilight do epic princess things?

The new toys have been hinting at them reverting Twilight as well. All of the new Twilicorn toys are branded as part of the "Crystal Princess" line, which as we've seen from the Canterlot Wedding, is going to be a temporary toy promotion. Hasbro goes to Meghan and her team and tells them what kind of Toy-plugs they need to put in before they even start work on a new season, so you can bet money that Twilicorn was one of the things mentioned.

I'm not against Princess Twilight, but I can't see making it a permanent thing being helpful for anyone (Hasbro or DHX). As for Equestria Girls, I'm skeptical simply because of how similar the "fake" image was to the "real" one. Look at them:

Equestria_Girls_February_14_2013_charact

Equestria_Girls_March_2_2013_character_d

The only major differences are some slight tweaks to the hairstyles, the inclusion of wings, face cutie marks, pony ears instead of human ones, and the fact that it's clear drawn by a different artist. The over used (and it Twilight's case: incorrect) vectors also make me think that the newer one is fan art. I find it a little suspect that image that originated from a troll Tumblr is so similar to the "official" designs.

Off Topic: I generally only really play LBP, Mod Nation, and LBP: Karting. I prefer playing shooters on Xbox. :/

Edited by Twinhead B

I think that changing Twilight back into a unicorn after all they did this last season to help her progress would be very bad writing. I have read other posts that say that the writers are having a good time with the new twilight, so I am pretty sure this is permanent for the rest of the show.

(edited)

I think that changing Twilight back into a unicorn after all they did this last season to help her progress would be very bad writing. I have read other posts that say that the writers are having a good time with the new twilight, so I am pretty sure this is permanent for the rest of the show.

Not unless they set up a situation in the S4 two-part premiere that has Twilight decide between either her friends or her princesshood. I know I've said that plenty of times, but I'm hoping to see that in the S4 premiere, because I am, and will always be, Anti-Twilicorn.

EDIT: Really, it just sucks how the "temporary" choice is being outvoted by the "permanent" choice. Why can't we be like most other fandoms, and just protest against Hasbro and the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn? This softness is why we're given crap like Princess Twilicorn, when we should be forming the equivalent of Hal's Emerald Attack Team, or Retake Mass Effect.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Not unless they set up a situation in the S4 two-part premiere that has Twilight decide between either her friends or her princesshood. I know I've said that plenty of times, but I'm hoping to see that in the S4 premiere, because I am, and will always be, Anti-Twilicorn.

EDIT: Really, it just sucks how the "temporary" choice is being outvoted by the "permanent" choice. Why can't we be like most other fandoms, and just protest against Hasbro and the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn? This softness is why we're given crap like Princess Twilicorn, when we should be forming the equivalent of Hal's Emerald Attack Team, or Retake Mass Effect.

If the poll was for "Do you want it to be permanent/temporary?" then I'd have voted for temporary in a heartbeat. However, the poll is for "Do you think it will be permanent/temporary?" so I voted for permanent. Every piece of evidence that I find points to it being permanent. All we have going for us is that there's apparently no official statement saying, "It's going to be permanent. There are absolutely no plans to change her back." But seriously... why would they? We already have plenty of statements from people like Tara Strong about her having wings, (and supposedly a comment hinting at a Rainbow Dash flight training episode although I've not actually come across the source material for that one) but people are treating their words as if they're cryptic, as if they're hiding that she's turning back or something. Seriously?

Anyway, let the speculation continue until closer to season 4 when they prove without a doubt that she's staying as an alicorn.(Though some people will probably still think it's fake or whatever and come up with some kind of conspiracy theory) I don't think an 'attack force' would even have any effect since most people don't really mind the change. I'm pretty sure it's going to be permanent, but if it turns out that I'm wrong, I'll be celebrating.

PS. Are you talking about Hal Jordan? I don't follow Green Lantern, but I did read a digital copy of the one where he dies.

Since everyone is fighting over Twilight being an Alicorn and spamming the heck out of the 

forums with this type of topic. I'm going to do it too. *squee*

I usually don't care for these types of things, but since i cant find a good post whether people

want her to stay an Alicorn or not, this will be the one to answer my month old question!

I'm starting a poll. If you would like to, please vote your opinion. img-1247987-1-psycho_twilight_avatar_by_

Your thread has been merged with an already existing thread that serves the same purpose. Please use the search function to check if a suitable thread exists before creating your own.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So someone on this message board once told me that the book, The Crystal Heart Spell, will not only be canon (how it will be, I've yet to figure it out), but also a sign that Twilight will still remain in Ponyville with her friends.  However, what she won't do is resign from royalty and give up her wings, just so that Rarity wouldn't be the only unicorn in the Mane Six, anymore.

But really, I get the feeling that even though Twilight will still be at the Golden Oaks Library where she belongs, she would still have to resolve countless ponies' problems as Equestria's third ruler.  She'd still face the pressures of running an entire nation, and it would still keep her away from both her studies as well as her friends, even if she does stay in Ponyville.  And, it's at that point, that she would have to make a choice: Resign from royalty and give up her wings, so that she could be with her friends, or stay in royalty and give up everything that made her who she was, from her studies to her friends.

Yes, I know I'm still in denial.  I mean, just recently, I was accepting Princess Twilicorn as well as the countless benefits that comes with it, from uniting Equestria under a banner of friendship, to helping Twilight's friends achieve their lifelong dreams, and even forming diplomatic relations with other races, like dragons, griffons, and changelings.  But now, I'm back to denial again, just because Rarity is the only unicorn of the Mane Six now, and that I feel that the writers apparently hate Rarity, like her lack of appearances in Luna Eclipsed, and the lack of her own episodes in Season Three.

I know that in the show, every time there is a change, eventually everything goes back to normal.  And, I want the same to happen to Twilight.  I mean, the writers did say that the S3 finale was part one of a three-part story-arc.  That means that once that three-part arc ends, I highly doubt they could continue further developing Twilight's ascension to alicorn princess throughout the rest of S4, which means that once that arc is over, they might as well return Twilight to a unicorn.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

Snip

Since this thread appears to deal with the issue of the permanence or not of Twilight Sparkle's new position as alicorn princess, I have merged it with the appropriate thread.

• Brohoof 1

So someone on this message board once told me that the book, The Crystal Heart Spell, will not only be canon (how it will be, I've yet to figure it out), but also a sign that Twilight will still remain in Ponyville with her friends.  However, what she won't do is resign from royalty and give up her wings, just so that Rarity wouldn't be the only unicorn in the Mane Six, anymore.

But really, I get the feeling that even though Twilight will still be at the Golden Oaks Library where she belongs, she would still have to resolve countless ponies' problems as Equestria's third ruler.  She'd still face the pressures of running an entire nation, and it would still keep her away from both her studies as well as her friends, even if she does stay in Ponyville.  And, it's at that point, that she would have to make a choice: Resign from royalty and give up her wings, so that she could be with her friends, or stay in royalty and give up everything that made her who she was, from her studies to her friends.

Yes, I know I'm still in denial.  I mean, just recently, I was accepting Princess Twilicorn as well as the countless benefits that comes with it, from uniting Equestria under a banner of friendship, to helping Twilight's friends achieve their lifelong dreams, and even forming diplomatic relations with other races, like dragons, griffons, and changelings.  But now, I'm back to denial again, just because Rarity is the only unicorn of the Mane Six now, and that I feel that the writers apparently hate Rarity, like her lack of appearances in Luna Eclipsed, and the lack of her own episodes in Season Three.

I know that in the show, every time there is a change, eventually everything goes back to normal.  And, I want the same to happen to Twilight.  I mean, the writers did say that the S3 finale was part one of a three-part story-arc.  That means that once that three-part arc ends, I highly doubt they could continue further developing Twilight's ascension to alicorn princess throughout the rest of S4, which means that once that arc is over, they might as well return Twilight to a unicorn.

My take: Should the book be treated as possible canon? I think so, especially since the book was specifically made to tie in with the season finale and is an official MLP book and isn't just something that some random person wrote.

Does it mean that Twilicorn will be permanent? I think the ending moral points to 'yes', since it basically says that regardless of whether Twilight is a princess, her most important assets are how she treats other ponies and friends, and that princess or not, all ponies are equals. (Still not convinced that the last point actually makes any sense, but this is a kids show, so they can do whatever to make people happy) This would mean that Twilight can still stay with her friends without any trouble, and probably won't have any major royal duties until much later in the series.

I guess the question would be, where does this fit in with the season 4 premiere? Will season 4 take place after the events in the book? Will some of it take place alongside it? Will we see some events from the book explained in the episode? (Cadence's story about how she became a princess seems probable)

I think that regardless of the time frame, the book's overarching moral dispels the possibility of Twilight changing back. if she were to go back to being a unicorn, the most logical time for this to happen would be in the season 4 premiere, or perhaps the season 4 ending. It would make no sense to have it happen 10 episodes in, for instance, and then carry on for the other 16 with unicorn Twi. And I think everything points to her staying as an alicorn during the premiere, which would only leave the season 4 finale, which would seem counter-intuitive considering that the season 3 finale brought her up to princess-hood, but I guess it can't be fully discounted.

I guess the main problem with it being temporary is, where does that leave Twilight? Her entire time spent as Celestia's student was training to become a princess, and she never had any other goals in the series apart from her studies. And I can't see them turning her back into a unicorn just so they can switch her back to being an alicorn at the end or something. That just wouldn't be logical.

As for whether Twilight could pick a new destiny, I just don't think it's possible. She's been an assigned 'leader' on many occasions and has arguably been the leader of the mane six throughout the show's history. That, and there's the fact that Lauren Faust planned from the very beginning for Twilight to become Celestia's successor. My guess is that in the series finale, Celestia either dies or steps down and Twilight becomes Equestria's new ruler.

I've been giving it some thought, and I think that now Twilight has achieved her destiny, her time might be spent trying to help her friends achieve their destinies, until finally, by the time the show ends, all the mane six, the CMC and others will reach their life-long dreams. She wouldn't have to give up her wings to do that. I'm guessing season 4 won't be the last (the show is too popular for them to drop it now) so there's plenty of time to make all this happen.

Still, if it turns out that she loses the wings and princess-hood in season 4, I'm going to cheer, and probably post a video of myself dancing around like a lunatic. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Why in the hoof do people think this is permanant? She'll have to make a decision in one episode, something like choosing her powers or her friends.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why in the hoof do people think this is permanant? She'll have to make a decision in one episode, something like choosing her powers or her friends.

That, I want to believe.  But, I also believe that Twilight could use her new status to help her friends achieve their respective life-goals, from Rainbow Dash becoming Wonderbolt captain, to Rarity franchising the Carousel Boutique.  That way, all of her friends can catch up with Twilight, if not turn into alicorns, which most people actually believed would be stupid.

So to be perfectly honest, I'm now neither Pro-Twilicorn nor Anti-Twilicorn, though I still border slightly to the latter.  Rather, I'm being realistic, as I look at the benefits to Twilight becoming a princess, and balance them out with the drawbacks I've kept dwelling on.

Also, Ficta_Scriptor said that the book, The Crystal Heart Spell, and its moral point to Princess Twilicorn being permanent, as she stays in Ponyville but keeps the wings.  I don't know if it's definite or not, but if any time it is, I would need to learn to distract myself from the drawbacks, and instead focus on the benefits.

• Brohoof 2

After viewing Digibrony's reviews and such, it seems likely that season 3 was all about preparing Twi for her ascension. That, and Faust herself mentioned she planned for Twi to surpass Celestia. Even though she isn't involved in the show anymore, this still shows that the Twilicorn transition didn't come out of nowhere. Even if adding wings wasn't part of the original idea, Twilight becoming greater than Celestia was likely going to happen anyway. Besides, I think the episode pulled it off nicely and I can't wait to see what the writers have in store for season 4!

I agree with you one-hundred fold, but I'd rather Twilicorn than Equestria Girls. Sorry, but the thought of humanised ponies who look nothing like humans or ponies, set in a high school, only can mean one thing: Pony High. 

And that's not at all good. Who wants to watch high school divas being popular and that kind of sh*t that they show to 9 year olds nowadays? 

Anyways, back to the Twilicorn subject. 

I think that it will be temporary since one of the writers of the show had confirmed that it is a 3-parter. I mean, what would be interesting in that 3 parter about a princess doing her royal  duties? Let me quote something from a certain pink pony everypony knows:

(P.s Did anypony else see Derpy and Lyra in the first frame?? :D)

Duh. Who wants to watch that? Like you said, she'll probably have to sacrifice her wings or her title, but in my opinion, since she's so prone to messing up spells by accident, I think that it will be more likely that she casts a spell that turns everything back to normal. Maybe she goes to Starswirl the Bearded's library and finds another unfinished spell so she reads it out, and then SHAZZAM! everything's alright with the world and twilight is a unicorn again and the Mane 6 carry on their happy pony lives. THE END

Or maybe she might meet Starswirl, since in the S3 finale (I thin, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to watch it again. Please excuse me f I am wrong) they say that he disappeared, and he's not dead, and then he helps her fix everything back to normal after some crisis or something. 

Oh yes, I've also heard that there might be a new Mane 6. In this case, Twilight might have to give up her life, and be replaced by Sunset Shimmer. Isn't that a wonderful thought? (sarcasm)

Edited by Fireball Rush
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Proof that Twilicorn is temporary:
  • The previous times episodes advertised toylines, they were only for a couple of episodes, before going back to the Mane Six.
  • Like all good toylines, eventually the hype behind the Twilicorn toyline will die down, a new one will take its place, and the writers will return Twilight into a unicorn to reflect all this.
  • The writers are aware of the controversy caused in Princess Twilicorn, and are probably scrambling to return her into a unicorn to better balance the Mane Six.
  • The S3 premiere was part-one of a three-parter, meaning that by the time the S4 premiere runs its course, there would be nowhere left to further develop Princess Twilicorn, other than possibly return her into a unicorn.
  • That storyboard card that has Spike negatively comment on Twilight and her wings and status, meaning that her friends might be the same way as him.  It was also seventh of a series of forty-five cards.
Proof that Twilicorn is permanent:
  • The writers said that Twilight will still enjoy her friends and studying, and will stay in Ponyville to keep both, only this time as an alicorn.
  • The Crystal Heart Spell's moral is that Twilight will always remain equal to her friends, even as an alicorn princess.  That means she won't change back into an alicorn.
  • There was so much build-up to Twilight becoming a princess, even during the beginning of Season One, that to have her return to a unicorn would make everything go to waste.
  • Sunset Shimmer might become a potential replacement for Twilight, perhaps even Twilight's student.
When I look at both sets of evidence, apparently the ones that prove Twilicorn is temporary outweighs the ones that prove it's permanent, but only by a thread. Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 2

Snip

Since this thread appears to deal with the issue of the permanence or not of Twilight Sparkle's new position as alicorn princess, I have merged it with the appropriate thread.

(edited)

• The previous times episodes advertised toylines, they were only for a couple of episodes, before going back to the Mane Six.
  • Like all good toylines, eventually the hype behind the Twilicorn toyline will die down, a new one will take its place, and the writers will return Twilight into a unicorn to reflect all this.
  • The writers are aware of the controversy caused in Princess Twilicorn, and are probably scrambling to return her into a unicorn to better balance the Mane Six.
  • The S3 premiere was part-one of a three-parter, meaning that by the time the S4 premiere runs its course, there would be nowhere left to further develop Princess Twilicorn, other than possibly return her into a unicorn.
  • That storyboard card that has Spike negatively comment on Twilight and her wings and status, meaning that her friends might be the same way as him.  It was also seventh of a series of forty-five cards.
  • The writers said that Twilight will still enjoy her friends and studying, and will stay in Ponyville to keep both, only this time as an alicorn.
  • The Crystal Heart Spell's moral is that Twilight will always remain equal to her friends, even as an alicorn princess.  That means she won't change back into an alicorn.
  • There was so much build-up to Twilight becoming a princess, even during the beginning of Season One, that to have her return to a unicorn would make everything go to waste.
  • Sunset Shimmer might become a potential replacement for Twilight, perhaps even Twilight's student.
When I look at both sets of evidence, apparently the ones that prove Twilicorn is temporary outweighs the ones that prove it's permanent, but only by a thread.

So, anyone wish to comment on what I typed regarding Princess Twilicorn?

Oh, and there is one more piece of evidence that proves Princess Twilicorn is permanent:

Equestria_Girls_March_2_2013_character_d

Human Twilight still has those gigantic wings. That means the evidence that it's permanent actually balances with evidence that proves otherwise.

When I look at both sets of evidence, apparently the ones that prove Twilicorn is temporary outweighs the ones that prove it's permanent, but only by a thread.

I've been thinking about that Spike storyboard strip, and I'm actually inclined to think that it'll play out a lot like the episode where Spike leaves to live with dragons or when he leaves because of Twilight's pet owl. (Don't make me spell it...) Spike has a freak out over something and wants to go, but Twilight convinces him to stay because of reason X. I couldn't see a situation where Spike gets upset about it and the moral is "If you moan about something you don't like then you'll get your way." (Which may seem hypocritical coming from someone like me... but anyway... XD ) I also can't see the rest of the mane six getting annoyed about it either, since Twilight isn't exactly snubbing them.

As for the 'toy-line' theory, it's very possible that we'll just see alicorn Twi toys as the normal ones in the future, but without the crown and dress. Just because she's part of the 'Princess Coronation' line doesn't mean that Twilicorn can't be part of the normal line once season 4 hits.

One thing that I think should be considered is the first ever interview on the subject that Meghan gave saying that they were "building a mythology about what 'princess' means in Equestria". I think this likely ties in with the Crystal Spell book, whereby Twilight can call her friends equals and doesn't have to sacrifice friendship to be a princess. 'Building a mythology' sounds an awful lot like something that would require permanent continuation. Otherwise, they're just building it up to break it down again.

As for the writers scrabbling to change it back so they don't lose fans, despite the initial freak-out, most people don't mind too much now that they know Twilight will stay in Ponyville. I could only see them change it back for this reason if season 4 sucked and people blamed it all on Twilicorn. Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of season 4 stuff was underway before Twilicorn was even hinted at. There's no way they could have a 'quick re-write' after people got up in arms.

However, I think by far biggest thing that points to it being permanent is that it was Lauren Faust's vision to have Twilight supplant Celestia, and at the Las Pegasus convention when asked why Twilight became an alicorn the answer was, "she was always going to become an alicorn."

The '3-parter' thing is IMO simply because they need time to fully integrate Twilicorn into the group and explain everything, which the season 3 finale didn't do. My prediction is that Twilight is learning about princess-hood and is offered the chance to live in Canterlot, but this causes the mane six to get upset. At some point, a villain shows up, (possibly Star-swirl, which would makes sense since he'd be jealous about not being able to reach alicorn status) the Elements of Harmony defeat him/her and the episode ends with Twi deciding to stay in Ponyville. (At least, that's how I think it's going to turn out. I'm honestly keeping a note of that idea because I think it's very possible)

I guess the only other thing that might point to it being temporary is that there's no explicit comment from the writers or Hasbro that says, "We can confirm that the change will be completely permanent." However, I've not seen an interview question that asked about this, they just asked about the changes and what they would mean. I'm not even sure why they'd make such a statement.

I still say the evidence points to it being permanent, but I hope I'm wrong. Anyway, have a bro-hoof. ;)

• Brohoof 2