Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something i think will improve the forums, even if it is a small matter.

jdor11

When you click on the notifications button, it will tell you everything on it already + tell you what RP or topic it's from, i constantly find that i have have trouble returning to the correct topic because the notifications never tell me what topic there from. This is coming from a guy who use's notifications as a way to get to post's faster, so if you don't i can understand why you would see this pointless.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's fine right now. You just - click the button, and it brings you to the thread it's from.

Unless I'm not understanding you.

Like the above says, the notifications system is built around the ability to take you to where the notification came from. If someone brohoofed your post, you click where it says 'post you made' and it will link you to the post of yours that got brohoofed. If someone quoted you, you click 'post you made' again and it takes you to the post of yours that got quoted. Honestly I think the system works great as is, and I too am not fully understanding what you mean. Perhaps a bit more elaboration?

Also, moved to Feedback and Suggestions.

Like i said before, i use notifications more for actually getting to the specific RP or chat of some sort.

So for example, i'm in a RP right now and i like moving from the OOC topic to the actual RP

But what i find sometimes is that one person who has quoted me in the OOC has also quoted me in the RP (now with the highlight option this happens a lot)

So when i try to click on the person who quoted me notification and want to go to the OOC, it will take me to the RP because i didn't know where the quote came from.

Does that make a little more sense?

So when i try to click on the person who quoted me notification and want to go to the OOC, it will take me to the RP because i didn't know where the quote came from.

If I'm understanding this correctly, is your suggestion to make a quote notification show the name of the topic that the quoted post was in?

• Brohoof 1

The notification itself has three links.

1. The person who committed the action.

2. The post of yours that received the action.

3. The resulted post or location.

(bolding for emphasis)

So say if I get a notification that says "Prismatic brohoofed a post that you made in Feedback and Suggestions." Means that clicking Prismatic goes to my profile; clicking post goes to the post you made and Feedback and Suggestions goes to that forum topic.

So if I myself am getting this correct you're getting a "Prismatic has quoted a post you made."

I am not fully understanding it either but if you click 'quoted' it should lead to the destination and not the midpoint.

Edit: The title thread names are also in the URL so hovering your mouse cursor (providing you are on a PC) should yield similar results?

Edited by Prismatic

@@Feld0,

@@Prismatic

Wait better example for guy above^

If it says "Prismatic has quoted a post you made in a recent post"

what about if he quotes me twice? and it just happens that he quoted me in the RP and OOC topic we are both part of? how when i look at the notifications list, do i know which notification was from the OOC and the RP? all it tells me is that it was by this and this person in this specific genre of topic, but does not go into detail to tell me the name of the topic.

Feld0 your exactly on it.

Edited by jdor11

If he quoted you twice and it displays two separate notifications when you put your cursor over 'quoted' on both does it show different titles in the URL?  I myself don't typically have this happen so I'm just going by my own guesswork.

Edit: If you're not on a PC (i.e. iPhone/Android/iPad) then yeah, it is a good idea to implement.

Edited by Prismatic
  • Brohoof 1

Well, usually when I receive notifications, I just click the part where it says 'a post you made'. By clicking that, it should direct you to exact page and thread you posted it in. Simple! If you want to see what somepony else quoted from you, click the part where it says 'quoted'. 

Not sure if this is your problem, but I hope this helped a bit! ;)