Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP FIM really THAT powerful?

Tacit Moon

You have a very good point. MLP seems to have changed the lives of countless people, and sometimes I too wonder if it really is as great as people claim it to be.

Cure for depression, life changing....

It seems kind of strange to me, because this show hasn't really affected me that much. I watched a show... I liked it...

But it has helped me in a few ways. It helped me a little with my social anxiety, and the morals taught me a bit too. Also, I learned the power of friendship! XD

Is it that powerful?

Yes, I think it just might be. Because I doubt anypony in their right mind would lie about their life being changed by a bunch of pastel coloured horses. img-1324489-1-tongue.png

Edited by SparklingTwilight

Well the show definitely makes me have an happier output on life and some of the lessons are good to apply to life, compared to shows like the walking dead where the only thing I can learn from that is to not take life for granted :P However I think the thing which makes people "REALLY" happy about the show is the fandom itself (that's just my opinion of course) as I'm sure for a lot of people this could be one of the first tight knit communities on the world wide web for them to be part of, it was for me at least and it's the reason I think the show is so powerful. 

(edited)

It be interesting to see what the target demographic thinks about the show and if it changed them. I can only go by daughter and say that it might have contributed to her feeling blue about not having many close friends at the moment. Now all kids go through this stage and I hope she will make some close friends as she gets older. I'm sure she will. However, I do think the show built friendship into something that few people will ever experience, which is sad, but I guess a fact life. Few people have six close friends and that kind of bond with anybody. The MLP world is so seductive.

I've never had close friends, except for my wife and her best friend (as close or closer than sisters) and this friend's husband. Our relationship is almost like being in-laws. Now my wife is my "best friend", but we don't have a lot of shared interests (I guess normal). However, we have enough in common and balance each other enough to have a good marriage. Now I'd love to find deep and real friendships, but I don't expect to find any at this stage in my life.

Can the show create the changes that are attributed to it? I guess it can but the community has a lot to do with it and I admit to being one that enjoys it as entertainment more than it changing me. Of course the fact that I'm on his forum means that part if me was affected and is looking for like minded ponies. Hopefully we all get what we need from the show and give back what we can.

Is the show better and more powerful than Star Wars or Star Trek or blank? Both have amazing messages that inspire. It comes down to this. Enjoy life and live every day as fully as possible.

Edited by Nature Spell

It's not just the show. The show is awesome, but most of the people who are helped my MLP: FiM are referring to the community. This community is very open and inspiring.

This is something that I’ve been thinking about this week.  I’ve heard (read) about a HUGE number of individuals who claim things like…

-My Little Pony made me a better person.

-My Little Pony has made me a more moral person.

-My Little Pony has made me a happier person.

-My Little Pony has cured my depression.

-My Little Pony has fixed my anxiety problem.

-My Little Pony has gotten me off drugs.

-My Little Pony has turned my entire life around.

-My Little Pony stopped me from making bad stock market investments.

-My Little Pony has lowered my mortgage payment.

-My Little Pony has cured my dogs leukemia, and taught my children how to speak Latin.

-My Little Pony went back in time so it could genetically engineer human beings that it could entertain.

Ok. Hold on a second.

Is it that good? No no.. I mean is it really THAT good?

THAT moral?

THAT inspiring?

THAT amazing?

I sometimes find myself reading about someone that says something resembling the aforementioned statements.

It’s incredible to think that this television show has made people THINK this much. Something as insignificant as a cartoon has INSPIRED people to be.. well.. Better people.

I posted once that watching MLP FIM has made me

A little happier

A little easier going

A little more inspired

A little more difficult to frustrate

And a little more optimistic.

Or something like that..

But do you REALLY think that this show can turn people’s lives around?

Is it so good that they quit the drugs, get a job, get an education, start a charity for starving children, and invent the longer lasting light bulb?

When someone asks me why I like MLP FIM, I usually say something like,

“Well.. The characters are interesting and unique, the stories are creative and fun,  It’s well written, well animated, well voiced, well scored, there are lots of references for me to enjoy, and quite frankly, it’s frickin adorable.  

Can it change your life though?

I think that the moral points made in MLP FIM are fantastic.

That’s one of the reasons that I like Star Trek, Buffy, Firefly, and The Count of Monte Cristo.

They’re GREAT! And yes. They all changed my life.

Maybe not to an extreme. But they irrevocably altered me and my perception of the world.. For the better I think.

So I don’t know. Do you think that My Little Pony Friendship is Magic can change someone’s life like that? Make them a better person in an extreme way? I find it kinda hard to swallow that techinacolored unicorns can make someone give up meth and pay attention to their kids.

But I don’t know. I kinda feel like the answer is..

Maybe?

Is that weird?

That it’s kind of believable?

Am I putting too much power on the side of entertainment media?

I really don’t know. Part of me wants to say, “That’s ridiculous, ponies don’t change people, they’re PONIES.”

Even the parts of me that LOVE ponies.

But there’s another side that says, “…Yea. That makes sense.”

Being an entertainer myself, I really believe very strongly that good entertainment with a message can change the world. It CAN make people better. It can make people THINK.

I think about Charlie Chaplin. A truly great individual that BELIEVED to the very core of himself, that entertainment COULD deliver a message. And in fact that it was SUPPOSE to do just that.

Can My Little Pony change people’s lives in a big way? Is that possible? Are all these things I've read just made up or exaggeration?

Is My little Pony THAT powerful?

I think..

Maybe?

What do YOU think?

MLP: FIM will make you happier from the morals and the world of Equestria that doesn't seem to have cynicism. However, the one where it can cure depression is stupid and laughable.

First of all, if it had "cured" their depression, then they weren't having depression in the first place, they were just being a bit insecure. In fact, if they were to have real depression, watching the show would make them only feel worse. Since the world of My Little Pony has no cynicism, they will probably want to go to Equestria and doesn't change their life around.

And no, it will not change your life around. That it is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life. You might be a better person by learning their morals but that doesn't make you a better person.

Finally, it won't help your economic decisions. Where can we see an episode with economic problems? None. Does it cure your dog's leukemia? No it doesn't, send it to a vet. Teach your children Latin? What the fuck is this. No, there's no Latin phrases being spoken.

So, don't listen to them. It can make you a happier and better person but the rest is just ridiculous. MLP: FIM isn't a religion, its a show. It won't do special things for your dogs and your family. Good day.

• Brohoof 1

It hasn't really done much for me, but I have been happier in general since I started watching it. 

I do think it's kind of silly, no offense, to say that this show has kept you from committing suicide or some of the claims that are being made. I mean, no offense, but you have to remember that this is still a kids show. And don't get me wrong, this show holds a very special place in my heart, but I think some of us need to slow down and think for a minute. Like,

Is it really the show alone that did this?

Maybe it was the community as well, maybe it was the morals. Once again, no offense intended, but I doubt that it was just this show that helped with some of these things in your lives. I have no doubt that it gave you a good push in the right direction, but there must have been some other influence that kept you from, I dunno, suicide, I guess. 

But when people say it made them a better person, I don't find any difficulty in believing them. I've been a little more generous, less selfish. more confident.... I could list on for a while but I think you get the idea. It may not have made any huge changes to my life, but it did help me a bit, not to mention making me a happier person.

Well, that's my rant for the day. Have a brohoof. /)

(edited)

The show itself is pretty amazing, hence the massive brony fandom. But since then, nothing has been more life changing than the development of the fandom itself. I think that's what is inspiring. Yes, there are some dark parts... But that's just another way of a brony to express their love for the show, even if it seems odd to some people. I'm sure you'll agree that the people of these forums have been so very encouraging, grateful, and welcoming as anyone else. You really feel part of the fandom here, and whilst non-Bronies will question why we'd want to be in the fandom to start with, we know that it's truly the best.

So yes, My Little Pony is powerful. If it wasn't, none of us would be here today, and I don't think you'd be asking that question.

Edited by Meadowsong