Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Harlem Shake

wipergone2

No, no, no. I do NOT like the Harlem shake. To me, it just seems pointless and stupid. The music, I find annoying, and I feel like the dance just makes you make a fool out of yourself.

• Brohoof 5

The most ironic thing about the Harlem shake is that it isn't even the Harlem shake in the first place, The original Harlem shake from Harlem looks nothing like what is being done in the meme. In fact, I don't even know if what people to do in the meme can be considered a dance at all, it's more just free-form flailing of the limbs and generally doing spastic things while the music plays... The only reason why the meme is called the Harlem shake is because it's the name of the song that goes with it. Which if you think about it, is absolutely ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

It's funny as heck really, at least I think so.  My dorm's actually putting together the first of three Harlem Shake vids that we'll be doing for a campus wide "Harlem Shake Competition" tonight, which should be loads of fun!  B)

• Brohoof 2

Anything that is stupid and pointless is funny to me, so Harlem Shake is approved in my books, but only to a certain extend. Example: There are hundreds of parodies of popular pop songs, but I only find few to be funny

• Brohoof 2

I think out of all of the recent fads that have been going around, the Harlem Shake videos are probably the funniest. Most of them are pretty terrible but you get a few which are just hilarious, especially the ones which actually mock the videos themselves!

I think this one is the best,

• Brohoof 1

It's a dead horse that's being beaten repeatedly in all places. And not to mention the song is annoying and I'm not sure if that's even considered dancing.

I actually liked Gangnam Style, but this.....

• Brohoof 2

I'm really confused as to where this one came from. It just sorta. Got popular out of seemingly nowhere. People keep mentioning it all over the place and I just plain don't get it. Some of them are funny, but for the most part I don't get the appeal.

Eh well even though it is a bit overdone now, I still find it enjoyable in small doses, and since I don't end up knowing about this type of stuff until after its already popular I don't get as annoyed as fast by it I guess.

It takes a while for it to get annoying to me though, I love totally random stuff that has no real purpose, I dunno why i just do Xd.

I've certainly got nothing against it.

Ugh, its sooo dumb and annoying. Really? Alls the dance is, is some pelvic thrust and waving your hands in the air..its so annoying, everyone at my school is obsessed with it and blaring it while they're showing off with their annoying Beats by Dr. Dre ._. It just bugs me..

However, this is my ONLY favorite harlem shake video :)

I find it pretty annoying and entertaining. Most trends these days, will start to get old just like Gangam Style. I just think, that it will wear off soon enough. Besides, I used to do dancing but, this is by far the most annoying dancing trends.

Is the original video from filthy frank? When i first seen it, it was in filthy frank's channel.

If it was the original video, it was just a joke because that's his kind of humor, i follow him since like 1 year ago.

I guess that's why people don't like it, they don't get his humor, he's like that.

I thought it was funny as shit.

The more you hate on it, the slower it will fade away.

I just discovered it a few days ago (damn! always late to everything). It's silly? yes, but it's the hot thing now. In fact I plan on making a flash animation of it ;)

Ugh. Now this is on here? I find the Harlem Shake extremely annoying and the "music" makes my ears bleed. Just about everyone at my school are obsessed with it and these jerks in my class tried to force some of us to get into one of them vids. I mean seriously. I hear it everywhere. I don't know how such poor dancing skills and ear piercing music got so popular.

What is this world coming too...?

I think the Harlem Shake is stupid and pointless. The original video is okay, but now its being used to sell things and that's when I'm like, I don't care for this anymore.

• 10 years later...

In retrospect, people were doing TikTok-level dances to the song. Mostly for attention by trying to do something "funny" or "edgy." Sounds familiar don't it? The internet doesn't ever change. :twi:

The song in question is "Baauer - Harlem Shake". I find myself listening to it sometimes, I don't mind it. At least they (Baauer and Mad Decent) allowed the vids to stay up and let people have their fun. Can't say the same to something like Nintendo where they're a lot more harsh for some reason :confused:

At some point while the song was being produced, he realized it was a silly song anyways so he released it and thought not much of it until I think it was Filthy Frank/Joji who took it and made it a meme, like a few months or a year after.

Though it does make me wonder why "Harlem Shake" was specifically chosen as the target of a meme. Probably right place, right time. Sounded funny, I guess.

Edit: Joji and some friends were listening to the song and loved it, they just wanted to record something fun and silly out of it and nothing more. Meanwhile, Baauer just was making music and sampled the "Now do the Harlem Shake" line from "Plastic Little - Miller Time" and the samples weren't cleared until after the song got huge. Though, they were fine with it being sampled and didn't make a big fuss about it because they imagined themselves dancing to the song in the club too if they were still young.

Spoiler

Though, this is my personal favorite right now from him.

Baauer - CandyMan

Spoiler

Edited by Trot Shuffle
more context that i just learned