Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sadness of Fandom

Shawn Parks

This may or may not sound like a strange question, but I am being serious when I ask.

Do you ever love the characters so much that you find yourself feeling sad that you can never meet them?

• Brohoof 6

love as in love or LOOOVVE.  cause in the the case of love i go with pinkie pie i have a feeling im missing out on some major fun. 

in the case of LOOVVE no i do not........ wellll maby a little.

Edited by indeable

Sometimes yes.....

It kinda sucks not to be able to live in a place such as Equestria, but then I remember... I have friends here too, friends that have unique personalities just like the mane 6, so why on earth would I abandon them ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes yes.....

It kinda sucks not to be able to live in a place such as Equestria, but then I remember... I have friends here too, friends that have unique personalities just like the mane 6, so why on earth would I abandon them happy.png

Actually I um.. barely have friends (only 2). But being on here makes me feel like I have a bunch of friends and realized What would the fandom be like without me or what would I be without the fandom?

Indeed I wish I lived in Equestria to make alot of friends who like me just the way I am!

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. A well made production can have characters that have more appeal than people in real life. Take My Little Pony, for example: each character is so well made, one can't help but connect with them on a personal level. After following their adventures for so long, cheering with them for their achievements and sharing the sorrow of their failures, it's easy for a fan to grow attached to the characters--and indeed, to "befriend" them.

I personally would not mind entering Equestria, myself. I know I have real life obligations to friends, family, and society, but I can't help but wonder about living with the ponies. What would life be like in a world of colorful cartoon ponies? How would I interact with said ponies? Would I befriend them? Save the world with them? Even date them? What then? It's fascinating to think about, and I do feel a twinge of longing from time to time. I, for one, would love to meet the Mane 6.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

Can't say that I have ever felt that way OP.

However I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Since I've had that sort of feeling to famous people and the like that I look up to but will probably never be able to see. However sometimes its for the best.

I know exactly what you mean. There's a reason people do pony hypnosis. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would give almost anything to go to, and live in equestria. Maybe someday someone will make a device to create or build a very real feeling dream, so someone could almost be there as if it where real....

*sigh*

Good'ol wishes and fantasy.

Of course, we all do that to some degree. I'm sure that the majority...no, perhaps even the entirety of the fandom wishes for something like that. There's an unseen draw to the universe itself - the characters, the magic, the untamed wildness of the place - that makes it new and interesting.

With the age of the Internet, you can view virtually any location or piece of information you would like, all from the comfort of your home. Simply put, we've seen it all, and we've done it all (sort of).

But Equestria? That's an entirely different story.

It's a place that seems to be without major conflict. There are unexplained powers, entirely new creatures, and the ponies themselves don't seem to have explored their own world to it's fullest extent. While one could spend an eternity learning about the world we live in, it could take three eternities to explore the realms of Equestria.

The magic is in it's mystique. There simply are things that haven't, can't, and won't be explained.

And when it comes down to it: there's something about the human nature that gives us a love for peace, yet also a wish for a thrilling adventure that will keep us in awe of the world around us.

I'm a stereotypical white American college guy who has it alright. I was accepted to my first choice university, I have incredibly strong bonds with my family, and life has been good all around.

But even though I have no quarrels with life here on Earth, I would give almost anything to spend an evening with one of those ponies curled up in my lap.

So perhaps...perhaps it's a good thing that we can't go to Equestria. The "reality" of Equestria may be completely different, but a separation keeps us imagining bigger and better things.

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 3

@@Shawn Parks,

Yeah at times I suppose. But for me if I could find someone a friend that is as kind and sweet as pinkie pie in real life. I would cherish that friendship like no other there isn't many people out there like that. But I am lucky in the least I have some very close friends who I regard as such.  

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne

Honestly, no. The show to me is just that, a show. I don't feel as though I have any connections with the characters. The fandom is different, I like those people, and I can actually meet them in real life. But my brain just puts the show in some fiction folder which it won't even translate to reality enough for me to even be able to imagine I'm a pony or wish I was or that I could meet the characters. I can do it with shows that aren't cartoons and with books, but for this show no. I have no emotional connection to the characters. 

• Brohoof 2

Actually, yes. I have dreamt of being in Equestria. Those dreams don't happen all the time though, sometimes I dream of completely random stuff that doesn't exist in reality or in not-reality, that I have no idea how I'm dreaming of them. Then I wake up and remember the general idea of the dream, but not specific details. Its weirdblink.png

Thanks for the answers everybody.  It is comforting to know that I am not the only one around here who has those feelings.  Not that I want others to be sad.  But you know what I mean.  

I can completely relate to that - sadness might not be the right term so much as regret, though. I have a code not to dwell on things that can't be helped. tongue.png Of course, this isn't the only show where the characters mean well, but it is the only show with the level of depth in the characters. They're not perfect, but that makes their best qualities (and the positive impact that these qualities have) seem much more... achievable in the real world. To meet everypony in Equestria would continue that inspiration.

Edited by Flipturn ツ

No, I haven't. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm a bit older of a fan, but I guess, cartoons don't mean the same thing to me as they once did. Not to say that I don't love the show or I don't love cartoons, but being older, I think maybe I enjoy my cartoons in a different way than when I was younger.

However, I have had this experience. Just not with MLP. When I was in 7th grade, I was really, really lonely. I didn't have any friends, my family didn't understand me and I just had this all around feeling like I was different from everyone else. I didn't have a single person to talk to or who could relate with me. I was also obsessed with Pokemon. I remember imagining every day about how great it would be if I could just be whisked away to the Pokemon world, and how my problems would just disappear if that could happen. I even wished for this to happen on my birthday. So while I'm not going through the same thing now, I do know what it's like to want to meet characters in a show and be a part of that life.

Well I like to think about it this way, even though it makes me feel more taunted by the real world. The universe is infinetly expanding so there must be and infinite set of infinte possibilities of events and situations that occur in the universe. Mathematically that means that everything that is within the laws of physics must exist.

Moral of the story is that technically unless quantum mechanics, math, and physics itself is incorrect, the exact situation you see in the show must actually be happening somewhere in the universe....just too far away for you to even comprehend the distance...

Sorry if I brought anypony's hopes up then dashed them in the same post.

Edited by askthetechbrony

Equestria sounds...better than the real world.  There is mostly peace, with little in-fighting.  Where as in the real world, there is overt starvation, horrid disease, and war breathing down our necks everyday in some part of the world.  That world doesn't have such constant evils the way it seems, let alone actual destructive weapons for war (except tanks but that may not even be alluding to warfare tanks).

• Brohoof 1

I like to come up with ways to believe that the characters are "real" in some sense.  Michelangelo said that the sculptor brings out images that already existed within the marble.  Tesla believed that human beings do not invent ideas, but rather that we are receivers for ideas that are floating around in space somewhere.  I wonder if it is possible that the stories that people love come from some other reality, and that we do not make them up at all.  

• Brohoof 1

Well... about 5% of the times. Most of the times, when they're sad or crying, that's when I do wish to give them a hug or comfort.

But then again, the writers did a great job detailing the characters to giving them depth and a good personality everyone can relate or enjoy. 

But yeah, rarely...