Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Twilight now significantly larger since becoming an alicorn?

~Scootaloo

24 users have voted

1. 1. Does she look significantly bigger as an Alicorn?

• Yes
    • Other? post.
    • No

I noticed when Twilight became an alicorn that she looks a lot bigger in comparison. Why did she become bigger though? she has wings now, but why does appear to be taller and have a longer tail?

dg9B4OV.png

Edited by ~Scootaloo

She's not only taken on the traits of being a pegasus, but also that  of an Earthpony. In order to actually be an alicorn you must possess the traits of all three races.

Edited by The-Master
  • Brohoof 2

Well. She's slightly bigger. Not very noticeable, but existent. 

Now; why is she slightly bigger you ask? Shocking, but:

Cos alicorns.

Actually, looking at Metaright's picture there, it looks like Rainbow Dash is *shorter*, rather than Twilight being taller. It looks like RD's neck has been shortened slightly if you compare her in the hat & glasses vs. her without.

She seemed slightly larger, but she certainly didn't double in size.

255862__safe_twilight-sparkle_rainbow-da

mlfw1268_large.jpg

Celestia-sized Twilight would just look unnatural, really.

Alright. I modified the thread title so it is now a bit less exagerative (nope that's not a word :P).

Off-Topic: why does Twilight always have that little split area in her mane?

EcLmwUK.png

It is still in there in her alicorn state too.

why does Twilight always have that little split area in her mane?

EcLmwUK.png

It is still in there in her alicorn state too.

Just a design choice. Nothing more than that. If you're implying that you suspect it has some meaningful significance, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.
  • Brohoof 2

Actually, looking at Metaright's picture there, it looks like Rainbow Dash is *shorter*, rather than Twilight being taller. It looks like RD's neck has been shortened slightly if you compare her in the hat & glasses vs. her without.

It actually looks like Twilight is simply leaning forwards a tiny bit in the second shot, which would understandably lower her head in relation to Dash.

...In fact, in both images it looks like RD is leaning forwards in the first image, and twilight in the second image. Results inconclusive.

She didn't double in size.  I don't notice a difference, but whatever.  The reason probably is that she is a young alicorn and still has yet to grow.  I mean Cadance was once her size when she was around twilight's age.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just a design choice. Nothing more than that. If you're implying that you suspect it has some meaningful significance, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Way to jump down my throat there pal however I never said that it had any significant meaning.

I was just asking why she has it like that - I guess Lauren and the shows creators just have something against physics... that or Twilight has cowlicks which would be my bet.

It actually looks like Twilight is simply leaning forwards a tiny bit in the second shot, which would understandably lower her head in relation to Dash.   ...In fact, in both images it looks like RD is leaning forwards in the first image, and twilight in the second image. Results inconclusive.

This thread is about Twilight not RD.

Edited by ~Scootaloo

Twilight does look a big bigger, but she did not double in size (relatively speaking.) But, her appearance did change because she is starting to develop changes and she will get more changes as time goes on.

245613__UNOPT__safe_twilight-sparkle_ani

Edited by ~Chaotic Lightning~

Way to jump down my throat there pal however I never said that it had any significant meaning.

There's no need to be so worked up about this. Why else would you ask about something like that, after all, unless you thought it had significance? "Why does Twilight's hair have a part?" Well, why not?

(edited)

There's no need to be so worked up about this. Why else would you ask about something like that, after all, unless you thought it had significance? "Why does Twilight's hair have a part?" Well, why not?

People ask questions about useless garbage all the time! just for fun and for the sake of knowing and that's all it was!

OT: so we can all agree that Twilight is at least a little bit bigger now?

Edited by ~Scootaloo

Idk I guess she is a little bit bigger, but not a whole lot. I think maybe it has to do with becoming an Alicorn, or maybe to show shes getting more mature and older, idk.

Its not double size or anything, its a pretty small change to be honest, but its a change.

Its more noticeable when shes wearing her shoes and stuff because those make her taller.

People ask questions about useless garbage all the time! just for fun and for the sake of knowing and that's all it was!

But what gave you any indication that anyone would be able to answer that? Heck, Faust herself probably has no idea why she put it there. It's just a design choice. I'm all for asking questions for fun, but you were inquiring about something so incredibly inconsequential, so of course I assumed you were looking for significance.

But what gave you any indication that anyone would be able to answer that? Heck, Faust herself probably has no idea why she put it there. It's just a design choice. I'm all for asking questions for fun, but you were inquiring about something so incredibly inconsequential, so of course I assumed you were looking for significance.

Well the only reasonable reason why I can think they felt the need to add it to her "design" is so that she doesn't blend in with others as easily.

Well the only reasonable reason why I can think they felt the need to add it to her "design" is so that she doesn't blend in with others as easily.

This very well may be the case, but hopefully you understand that you just found significance. If they added the part so that she stands out, that's exactly the kind of significance you claimed you weren't looking for.

Regardless, the Mane Six have radically different hairstyles, so I imagine the part in Twilight's mane is still just random.

She kind of is larger if you look real close, but it is hard to notice. Which makes sense, seeing as ALL the princesses/queens are bigger than all the other ponies.

Edited by EpicMuffinTime
  • Brohoof 1

This very well may be the case, but hopefully you understand that you just found significance. If they added the part so that she stands out, that's exactly the kind of significance you claimed you weren't looking for.

Regardless, the Mane Six have radically different hairstyles, so I imagine the part in Twilight's mane is still just random.

I wouldnt call it that significant, but really just a minor detail.

Out of all the ponies I think that Applejack and Twilight sparkle look the closet to any background ponies. So they each have something to make them stand out...

Applejack: a hat that no one else wears

Twilight: the little cowlick in her hair

These are not very significant things at all I know however I do think that in the design process they added things like that to make them easily identifiable.

I honestly did not notice her apparent increase in size...

I didn't even know she even changed all that much (other than the obvious growth in wings of course :P )

either I'm just blind or you're just looking too closely at it

again, I really don't notice the size difference all that much... :/

Yeah, she really didn't get that much larger, just a little bigger. Her horn also got a bit longer, at least it looks that way to me. Makes sense since alicorns all have long thing horns anyway, but Twilight's just stayed normal yet somewhat bigger. :huh:

This thread is about Twilight not RD.

Yes, but the only indication we have that Twilight has grown in size at all is because she appears to be bigger when put next to other ponies. I question that assumption as every image I have seen with her appearing 'bigger', the other ponies in the pictures appear to be crouching down in some way.

Yeah, she really didn't get that much larger, just a little bigger. Her horn also got a bit longer, at least it looks that way to me. Makes sense since alicorns all have long thing horns anyway, but Twilight's just stayed normal yet somewhat bigger. huh.png

Well aren't alicorns usually:

-Taller

-Have larger wing spans

-Longer horn

-Larger mane

Twilight only has two of those attributes:

-Taller

-Have larger wing spans

-Longer horn

-Larger mane

Well, I'd propose tallness/size is based on 'magical capacity'. Take Luna for instance: 

• As nightmare moon, as tall(?) as Celestia
  • When defeated, considerably smaller with no sparkling mane
  • Back in season 2 to now, tall (not as tall as Celestia) and lovely flowing mane.

I think Faust mentioned the mane sparkling is tied to magic power, and I'd guess it's the same for tallness/size.

It's obviously all part of Celestia's plan to create a giant, War-Alicorn. Twilight's already as big as Luna, and in Season 4, she moves out of the library because it's too small for her. How big will she get? Nopony knows....

Or perhaps it's just a design choice, what with all the other princesses being bigger and all... laugh.png

Edited by Twinhead B