Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hypocrisy towards Bronies.

DoctorWhovian1902

I've always noticed the most common response as to why others don't like Bronies is because we're constantly shoving it in others' faces.

It's at this point where I'd like to call bull on that statement.

You another fandom l keep seeing in the comment sections of videos and the like? The "Adventure Time" fans (or "adventurers", as I believe some call themselves now). I have seen several people with AT profile pics and comments being made on unrelated videos.

Here's the thing, they make references much like we do, right? Even on unrelated threads/videos, right? But how many flame wars have been started because of it? Last I counted, a grand total of zero. The amount of times I've seen the same thing, but for Bronies and with MLP? I've lost track of the amount of comment wars I've seen break out over it.

You see my point? I don't understand why it's perfectly fine for anyone else to reference something they like without fear of total war breaking out, but somehow Bronies are exempt from that rule.

Also, I've seen too many groups (Facebook pages, a subreddit, steam groups, etc.) dedicated to hating Bronies, but I've never seen any hate groups for, excuse the repetition, Adventure Time, or even Doctor Who, or really any other TV show out there!

Maybe that's just me though, what do you guys think?

Also, for the record, I don't hate Dr. Who or AT. I'm just not part of their fandom.

Although, the people at my school are like the stereotypical Bronies but with Dr. Who (in other words, they never shut up about it). Kind of ironic considering they hate Bronies, huh?

Edited by whoovesfan7698
  • Brohoof 13

Every fandom does this. People are passionate about things they truly enjoy and thanks to the Internet it is very easy to share it or be expressive with it. I honestly am not bothered by it. The reason there is hypocrisy towards bronies is (from what i have noticed) because we like ponies.

Basically, society is like Discord in SWAG.MOV. They think ponies are for little girls so when they see profile pics and the like of it, they go into 'BLAH THAT IS STUPID' mode. That is just what I have seen.

• Brohoof 15

This literally happens to every YouTube video that mentions bronies or MLP even once. I'm guessing it's because shows like Adventure Time are actually meant for a unisex audience, and MLP is originally intended for a young female audience, so people just automatically assume we're all "gay", "autistic", etc.

What I'm more concerned about is why can't people just shut up if they see something they hate, especially if they have no idea why we like it. The least they could do is just ask why.

• Brohoof 8

This literally happens to every YouTube video that mentions bronies or MLP even once. I'm guessing it's because shows like Adventure Time are actually meant for a unisex audience, and MLP is originally intended for a young female audience, so people just automatically assume we're all "gay", "autistic", etc.

What I'm more concerned about is why can't people just shut up if they see something they hate, especially if they have no idea why we like it. The least they could do is just ask why.

Umm, I am autistic, so I guess I am fueling part of the stereotype. XP What's funny is I was actually called an autistic man-child once because I love MLP. Little did the person know is that he basically was completely right so I consider it a compliment. :P Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 3

I think that spamming something unrelated to the topic at hand is annoying no matter the fandom, but nothing worthy of starting a flame war. Anyone who attacks someone over dropping a reference or having a profile picture is dreadfully immature. Granted, I think that there are some bronies that don't have the best behavior, but there are people like that in every fandom. It's the nature of life.

I agree that the bias is probably due to the fact that MLP is a show marketed towards younger girls. Some people just don't like things that go outside their idea of normal. I suppose it seems strange to others that so many adults and teenagers (mostly male, no less) enjoy My Little Pony. It could also relate to people resisting the idea of watching MLP more than, say, Doctor Who. 

• Brohoof 3

You know, this sort of thing always reminds me of when Youtubers go onto pony videos and leave hateful comments. I just don't get it; you saw pony in the thumbnail, yet you still clicked on it.

Why did you click on it?

*Takes a puff on pipe*

Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Regardless, I have noted this hypocrisy myself, especially with Anime fans who are always shoving Anime in my face and telling me to watch the ones they like. I don't do the same with My Little Pony, mostly because I think it would be annoying for them. But I tell them I'm not into Anime and they still do it.

A little annoying if I do say so myself.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think I've ever come across a YouTube comment having to do with MLP that wasn't on an MLP-related video, so these are mostly lies. Annoying lies. I have, however, seen people discredit someone's entire argument simply because their profile picture is a pony, or stupid things like that. I think people largely over-exaggerate the amount that bronies do this, or maybe outright lie about it. Like a monkey-see, monkey-do kind of thing. Yeah, I basically think this is unwarranted hate, no matter who it's coming from.

• Brohoof 1

My first guess is that it probably is because it's MLP. A how about ponies, that was originally intended for little girls. If you weren't a Brony, and you heard this, would you want to try the show? I also think that the biggest reason why non-Bronies, at least teenagers like myself, are so hesitant to even consider watching it, is because we grew up seeing commercials for g3 toys, and the g3 show. It was girly, it was supposed to be. But I think people just assume that FiM is no different from g3. That's why we're given so much shit about liking it. Add the fact that we do have a reputation of shoving MLP into peoples' faces, and that just makes people not like us that much more.

Edited by Link
  • Brohoof 1

I used to think Bronies were a new breed of trolls going out to try and spam colors and ponies everywhere. But when I figured out that they actually liked the show, I was like "Oh..."

I can see many people thinking that were a large Troll network, and then any Brony that mentions the show on youtube get's at least one idiot comment like "Instant unsub for ponies", even if they never said they liked or watched it.

• Brohoof 2

so people just automatically assume we're all "gay", "autistic", etc

I'm not sure I like how you use "autistic" (people who are on the autism spectrum) as a derogatory term. Hell I doubt most people who use "autistic" as a derogatory label even know what the spectrum is.  How about (for those of you who do you use it as a negative term) look it up before opening your traps up next time. I and another person I know on this site have asperger's which means we do have autism yet we are high functioning.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” 

― Martin Luther King, Jr.

@Kyoshi

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not sure I like how you use "autistic" (people who are on the autism spectrum) as a derogatory term. Hell I doubt most people who use "autistic" as a derogatory label even know what the spectrum is.  How about [for those of you who do you use it as a negative term) look it up before opening your traps up next time. I and another person I know on this site have asperger's which means we do have autism yet we are high functioning.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” 

― Martin Luther King, Jr.

@Kyoshi

I'm talking about how other people use these terms, not me. I actually have Aspergers as well, and I said that in no negative way.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but you clearly took that part of my post the wrong way.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think I've ever come across a YouTube comment having to do with MLP that wasn't on an MLP-related video, so these are mostly lies. Annoying lies. I have, however, seen people discredit someone's entire argument simply because their profile picture is a pony, or stupid things like that. I think people largely over-exaggerate the amount that bronies do this, or maybe outright lie about it. Like a monkey-see, monkey-do kind of thing. Yeah, I basically think this is unwarranted hate, no matter who it's coming from.

...Seriously? You've never seen MLP comments on unrelated videos, even if it's just a reference? Weird.

I can relate to the pony profile pic thing for sure, though. I remember being on a Minecraft video and someone with an MLP profile pic, despite making a relevant comment and receiving plenty of thumbs up, was flagged for spam because of the pony. It's sad, really.

My first guess is that it probably is because it's MLP. A how about ponies, that was originally intended for little girls. If you weren't a Brony, and you heard this, would you want to try the show? I also think that the biggest reason why non-Bronies, at least teenagers like myself, are so hesitant to even consider watching it, is because we grew up seeing commercials for g3 toys, and the g3 show. It was girly, it was supposed to be. But I think people just assume that FiM is no different from g3. That's why we're given so much shit about liking it. Add the fact that we do have a reputation of shoving MLP into peoples' faces, and that just makes people not like us that much more.

Actually I was fairly neutral towards guys liking ponies (I know I'm in the minority). I digress, though, as AT fans won't shut up either, yet I see no hate towards them.

Edited by whoovesfan7698
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's because that people like to stereotype us but when the irony is, other people like to shove other things into people's faces. Pretty much unfair in my opinion but, it is to prevent us from doing the same.

Basically, I haven't noticed any hate towards other fandoms because of it.

• Brohoof 4

I think it's because that people like to stereotype us but when the irony is, other people like to shove other things into people's faces. Pretty much unfair in my opinion but, it is to prevent us from doing the same.

Basically, I haven't noticed any hate towards other fandoms because of it.

Precisely. I guess people are just biased toward Bronies because the thing that they like is My Little Pony, and, even worse, part of the Brony stereotype is that we won't shut up about the show. That basically means we don't get a free pass when it comes to being excited and wanting to share the show, while other fandoms do.

• Brohoof 1

...Seriously? You've never seen MLP comments on unrelated videos, even if it's just a reference? Weird.

Well, maybe once or twice, but I don't have a good recollection of it, and maybe that's why I forgot. It's rare for me to see MLP-related comments on YouTube. Maybe it's just that the stuff I watch doesn't tend to attract bronies. Or, at least, not the kind who would randomly spout off about their fandom on a completely unrelated video. Still, though, I think that the instances where people claim that bronies always do this definitely outweigh the number of instances it actually occurs.

• Brohoof 1

Do what I do, change your YouTube profile picture to Phoenix Wright or another fandom, then make the MLP comments, then Phoenix Wright fans (Insert other fandom here) will like your picture, and the bronies who get the references will like the references. It's a win-win. If that doesn't work, ignore the haters, or be as nice as you can be to em. I've gotten several to back off from me just by being nice.

• Brohoof 1

There are too many threads where bronies talk about non-bronies and why they're wrong to criticize us. We know already. I've gone from caring very little about what others think of the fandom, to not caring at all.

What I care about is the hypocrisy within the fandom. Especially this:

po746_zpsadb15b98.png

That, more than anything else, is what we need to worry about.

There are always going to be people who criticize us. Let's focus on the things we can change.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 4

Umm, I am autistic, so I guess I am fueling part of the stereotype. XP What's funny is I was actually called an autistic man-child once because I love MLP. Little did the person know is that he basically was completely right so I consider it a compliment. img-1295864-1-tongue.png

Pretty much the same story with me, except I haven't been called that yet or have been trolled for being a brony yet though I have been called far far worse for things other than ponies so if I was in that situation I would say "thank you" just to screw with him. I mean seriously calling someone "autistic" has to be one of the most pathetic insults ever because in my experience once you have met an individual with Autism you have met an individual with Autism. Of course if me liking cartoon ponies even though I pay my bills on time, work my crappy dead end job and take care of all my other responsibilities makes me a man child, then someone get me a bib and bottle because I don't want to grow up.

Yeah there is no doubt about it there is a double standard, you can spam whatever fandom interest you want anywhere and chances are nobody will care but if it is ponies then it "shoving it in peoples faces."

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not into Adventure Time or Doctor Who either. They're good shows, but I really don't care for either that much. To be honest, I feel Doctor Who being shoved in my face a lot in the real world, and it's quite irritating. I get it. I get it. The show is good. 

Basically, society is like Discord in SWAG.MOV. They think ponies are for little girls so when they see profile pics and the like of it, they go into 'BLAH THAT IS STUPID' mode. That is just what I have seen.

I'm pretty sure that Discord in that video was supposed to represent that.

• Brohoof 1

Umm, I am autistic, so I guess I am fueling part of the stereotype. XP What's funny is I was actually called an autistic man-child once because I love MLP. Little did the person know is that he basically was completely right so I consider it a compliment. tongue.png

That is the best thing I have heard all day. The compliment that was to be an insult that is. Shows how much he knew...And your profile pic is spectacular.

EDIT: Just realized I don't know exactly what autism is. Embarrassing I know. Would you please explain what it is? 

Edited by ActFast231

Im in the same boat as you, Ive always seen autism being mentioned on tv but never really knew what being autistic really meant

I know what Asperger's is, as I have shown traits of it, but I don't know what full blown autism is. Though judging from the people on this forum who have it, it isn't what media and satire depicts it as. 

The reason for this is simple. It's extremely hard for society to accept something as "off the norm" as Bronies. Personally I have nothing wrong with being off the norm as long as you aren't hurting yourself or others, but society seems to think that if you aren't normal then you're bad and should be yelled at. At least, that's what I've found from my past experiences.

Edited by ThePilotGuy
  • Brohoof 1

The hate for the fandom has everything to do with our (collective) obsession with binary gender divisions in pop culture and, to a lesser extent, a male-oriented worldview. This is why it's cool when girls like "masculine" things (video games, Batman movies, etc). But if a guy likes MLP, or romantic comedies? That's to be viewed with rejection and scorn.

The sooner we (collectively) get rid of this obsession, the better EVERYONE will be. Quality entertainment is quality entertainment, regardless of who it was marketed/intended for.

• Brohoof 3

To be fair, I really have no idea...

Literally, people are so ungodly engrossed in typical stereotypes that it's really not even funny. (I somewhat got my dad out of that stereotypical barrier of his)

And also, for the record, I have found some "nagging" MLP comments on a video completely unrelated to MLP it was literally an assault on that one video and I somewhat facepalmed on it :/

• Brohoof 1

In theory being a brony should be no different than being...say, a Whovian, or a fan of Adventure Time, or a fan of a sports team. Everyone has their own way of displaying their affinity for their respective community: merch of various kinds, conventions, etc. Again, in theory, it should be no different for ponies, but in reality when bronies do the same thing, it is suddenly considered over-the-top and shoving it in people's face. It makes no sense logically, and is simply a baseless double standard.

Bronies are unduly criticized simply because our affinity is ponies. No. Logical. Reason. Whatsoever.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 1