Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Fluttershy being teased?

Rainbro-Stache

*Hurricane Fluttershy and Magic Duel episode spoilers!!*

In the episode Hurricane Fluttershy, during her first speed test she becomes self conscious when Flitter and Cloudchaser start laughing, but I don't think they were actually laughing at her.

During my first viewing I assumed they were laughing at Fluttershy since it just kind of made sense going thru it. I mean, it certianly does look like they are lauging at her, Flitter even points in Fluttershy's direction for a second.

However, after watching the episode again last night, I got the feeling that Fluttershy was actually just perceiving the situation incorrectly due to her anxiety. This is something I can relate to, sometimes when I hear someone laughing I cant seem but help to think it must be at me for one reason or another, even if that turns out to be completely untrue. Not to mention she is already terrified of the ponies who are watching her with big smiles on their faces, they literally couldn't look any more happy to see her and yet Fluttershy is scared to be in front of them. So she was already in a bad mindset at the beginning of the trial.

In addition to this, after Fluttershy breaks down and cries, she runs right past Flitter and Cloudchaser who didnt even seem to realize there was a situation going on. They were still carrying on a conversation and looks legitmatly surprised and concerned when Fluttershy runs away.

Not to mention the fact that Rainbow Dash would never put up with someone mocking Fluttershy, Rainbow would almost assuredly confront Flitter and Cloudchaser if she believed they were being rude.

And then finally, after Fluttershy comes back from the tornado, Flitter and Cloudchaser are the first ones there (other than Rainbow) to congratulate her, usually at a time like this a pony would apologize for not believing in them and being rude like in any other episode like this. I mean, even TRIXIE was humble enough to apologize at the end of "Magic Duel", yet these two don't, which again makes be believe they never even knew they upset Fluttershy to begin with.

I think this scene is just another little lesson about perception and self esteem and how important it can be, especially for a shy pony like Fluttershy.

Well anyway im probably looking too much at this scene, but I think thats kind of the point of discussion forums tongue.png

So what do you think? Agree? Disagree? and why?

~Thanks for reading

• Brohoof 20

(edited)

Yeah I sort of read it the same way you did. I have a good memory and remember the scene perfectly. I really think self doubt is the primary reason why some people don't do well at some subjects at school, even later in life if someone believes that can't do something then they won't even try and may never improve. 

I sometimes feel like Fluttershy. I love animals and like talking with them, also I'm rather shy at times; I can be outlandish when I want to be but still....

:)

Edited by wartorious

I have to say that this makes perfect sense. I know what it is like to be paranoid like that. I actually have a lot in common with Fluttershy and that is one of the big reasons to why I love her so much. I have constant social anxiety and I am always thinking people are looking at me and thinking I am weird or if they are laughing, they are targeting me with it, like what you said. I am always paranoid about what others think about me. It sounds dumb, but hey, that is my weird brain for you.

I love subtle touches like this in episodes though for some reason.

• Brohoof 1

This makes so much sense, and I am rather inclined to agree with you. Actually, now that you've brought this new speculation to light, I find the episode seems to flow much more smoothly in my mind.

Hmm, a lot of good points. Fluttershy greatly exaggerating her apparent trauma does makes sense, and Dash never mentioning it and reacting casually to Fluttershy's trauma points towards it. Very nice :D I don't doubt she got picked on a bit, but certainly not to the horrible extent she seemed to imply.

I was thinking about that part today and I do agree with you. At first it looks like they are laughing at her, but it could just be Fluttershy was just at the wrong place at the wrong time kinda of thing.

I think she was teased in a way. Especially since she is a shy pony, with low self-esteem, and she really doesn't fly often. But Hurricane Fluttershy, was a episode that gave her the spotlight. Dash gave her a lot of confidence and faith, then we noticed that she was being teased at first when they were laughing at her. Then, when she helped with the tornado she was praised.

• Brohoof 2

However, after watching the episode again last night, I got the feeling that Fluttershy was actually just perceiving the situation incorrectly due to her anxiety. This is something I can relate to, sometimes when I hear someone laughing I cant seem but help to think it must be at me for one reason or another, even if that turns out to be completely untrue.

That's the impression I got from it too.  But it wasn't merely the fact that Fluttershy thought they were laughing at her.  The laughter unearthed the painful memories of when she was deliberately teased, bullied, and laughed at during her flight camp days.  That's why she had a panic attack and thought everybody around was staring and giggling at her poor performance. 

In an episode full of memorable scenes, "all eyes on Fluttershy" might be the best one.   

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, thats actually what I always thought was the case o-o. Just because Fluttershys my favorite character doesn't mean I'm gonna be like "they where being mean to Fluttershy.. destroy.."! :P. Thats how my perception has always been, especially with how they look dumbfounded.

I imagine they meant no harm and where talking to each other about something else.

Plus anyone with low esteem such as myself can be a bit.. touchy when someone seems to be teasing you, even if they're not, i've had a couple cases of this actually.

So yeah, i don't think she was being teased, just alot of deep rooted fears and anxiety. Which are justified by all the bullying she faced though. Not from Flitter or Cloudchaser though.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, you've given some interesting points, and you've just made me interpret that scene from 'Hurricane Fluttershy' in a completely different way. I have the same kind of self-esteem problems when I hear people laughing and think it might be directed at me.

Very nice theory, I never thought of that episode so deeply and it makes a lot of sense. You sir have a brilliant mind and eye for seeing every little detail. 

Although that episode is definitely inspiring, it's sort of saying that every little thing counts, no matter how small it is. 

Fluttershy has very low self-worth. It must be devastating for her when one of the ponies she cares about most does not seem to care, even though Rainbow Dash does care (Albeit in her strange Rainbow Dash ways) and of course, Fluttershy's anxiety probably did play big part in her perception of the situation.

• Brohoof 1

Huh...

I always thought that was the case, but I guess not everyone perceived it that way. Guess that makes your case about it all being about perception even stronger; some viewers saw it exactly as Fluttershy did and thought that Cloudchaser and Flitter were making fun of her, while some viewers, like myself, thought it was just them laughing at something else and that Fluttershy only thought they were laughing at her.

(edited)

I disagree; I think they really were laughing at her. Unless something else happened off-screen that made them look in the same direction as Fluttershy was flying, and got them laughing, it is really the only explanation. I'd admit "the something else" hypothesis as a possibility, but there is no proof of it. Also, Rainbow Dash did notice, she even says the line, "So some punks poked a little fun at you and you got stage fright. Big deal! You aren't going to go quit just because of that, are you?" 

Flitter and Cloudchaser's later reactions probably just indicate that they didn't laugh at her in a mean way, and they probably didn't realize that she would take it quite so hard. The fact that they were the first to congratulate her could be interpreted to mean that they wanted to make amends for it. 

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 2

I disagree; I think they really were laughing at her. Unless something else happened off-screen that made them look in the same direction as Fluttershy was flying, and got them laughing, it is really the only explanation. I'd admit "the something else" hypothesis as a possibility, but there is no proof of it. Also, Rainbow Dash did notice, she even says the line, "So some punks poked a little fun at you and you got stage fright. Big deal! You aren't going to go quit just because of that, are you?" 

Flitter and Cloudchaser's later reactions probably just indicate that they didn't laugh at her in a mean way, and they probably didn't realize that she would take it quite so hard. The fact that they were the first to congratulate her could be interpreted to mean that they wanted to make amends for it. 

You know, after just rewatching that scene, I'm simply not sure anymore. In my head it seemed different, but now that I have seen it again and it's fresh in my mind, I don't know. I can understand perhaps if they were laughing at her in a friendly manner, such as when friends laugh at each other for doing something wrong or silly, but I doubt that they were being malicious.

Even if they were laughing at her, I supremely doubt that the fact that they were the first to congratulate her was because they felt bad; I almost feel like they don't even know that they did anything wrong. I think it's just to illustrate that Fluttershy was being paranoid and that even the people she thought were bullying her with their laughter really meant no harm and actually liked her.

I dunno, I just feel like even if Flitter and Cloudchaser were laughing at Fluttershy, they didn't mean any harm and that they weren't making amends at the end because, like I said, I don't even think they remembered that little moment where they laughed at Fluttershy.

By the way, the main reason I'm kind of changing my position isn't necessarily that Flitter pointed, because it could almost look liked she was pointing at Cloudchaser, but the fact that Cloudchase actually turned her head to look at Fluttershy; I'm starting to think that perhaps you're right about them laughing at her, but, like I said, I don't think it was meant to be in a mean way, especially since Flitter and Cloudchaser were never shown to be mean, although perhaps they are a little sarcastic due to that moment with Twilight and the  Anemometer.

• Brohoof 1

Coming from that one guy in gym class, the one who was not as "physically well impressive" as the others, could only muster up a weak performance even if I was trying, was teased by everybody and soon learned to perceive any instance laughing to be aimed at me, yes, Fluttershy was probably misinterpreting their laughter.

Best Episode.

Fluttershy was looking back, and how she doesn't like crowds watch her fly, since she's too weak, last time she probably did that she was teased and was getting a flashback on how it would look if she failed.

"Rainbow Dash did notice, she even says the line, "So some punks poked a little fun at you and you got stage fright. Big deal! You aren't going to go quit just because of that, are you?"

Actually, I don't believe she did notice. At least, not in a way that would incriminate Flitter and Cloudchaser.  Compare her reaction in Hurricane Fluttershy to when Fluttershy was teased in the Cutie Mark Chronicles.

In the Cutie Mark Chronicles, as soon as Rainbow noticed the bullies, she confronts them and even goes so far as to challenge them to a race so she can put them in their place.

Even though in Hurricane Fluttershy, Flitter and Cloudchaser's alleged teasing of Fluttershy isnt nearly as bad as when the two flight school bullies insulted her, it still led to Fluttershy's emotional break down and sobbing. I just can't believe that Rainbow Dash would let something like that slide without ever speaking to the "bullies."

Its not like Rainbow Dash is any stranger to confrontation either. She will get after someone at the drop of a hat. Rainbow Dash has even got into a brief fight with a ROCK (Party of One). Also in the very first episode Rainbow Dash accused Twilight of being a spy just because she has some knowledge about Nightmare Moon. Rainbow Dash even shows how fast she is to accuse ponies in Hurricane Fluttershy. After Thunderlane fails to show up, Rainbow Dash immediately confronts Thunderlane's younger brother with no evidence to suggest that Thunderlane was actually skipping out, and it even turns out to be true that he was too sick to fly.

Also the quote, "So some punks poked a little fun at you and you got stage fright. Big deal! You aren't going to go quit just because of that, are you?" notably doesn't use any names. Rainbow Dash of course noticed how Fluttershy feels, but she did not notice the event that caused it.

This is clear in the way that the cast treat Flitter and Cloudchaser in the rest of the episode, Twilight at one point even compliments Flitter on her flying.

The mane six are very protective of each other. If Rainbow Dash told her long time friend, Gilda, to stay away after Gilda insults Pinkie Pie, then why would she have any issue telling off a couple ponies that she probably hasn't even spoken to before? If any of the mane six thought that Flitter and Cloudchaser were to blame, they wouldn't have treated them in such a friendly way.

Aaaaand again, this is all my opinion and just like the user Rainblow Hash put it, "I always thought that was the case, but I guess not everyone perceived it that way. Guess that makes your case about it all being about perception even stronger"

Thanks for all the discussion everypony!

• Brohoof 2

Wow, perfectly put, Rainbro!

Now that you mention, I actually think that when Rainbow Dash stated the whole punks making fun of Fluttershy and giving her stage fright thing, she might've actually been referring to Fluttershy's past; remember that Rainbow and Fluttershy have known each other since they were fillies, so Rainbow was probably around when Fluttershy was being bullied, not to mention Fluttershy mentioned it when they were in her cottage.

Now I'm even more lost on how I feel about this, though. I don't think Flitter and Cloudchaser were actually making fun of Fluttershy, but now I'm starting to think that maybe they weren't laughing at her at all again.

*Takes a puff on pipe*

Truly a conundrum.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it seemed that way to me too. I was under the impression that they were having a conversation and were laughing about it, not at Fluttershy. And due to her past experience, she perceived it as them laughing at her. I never really thought they were laughing at her, and was actually sorta surprised when Rainbow Dash confirmed it.

The lack of an antagonist was actually one of the things I liked best about the episode. If you want to have an episode about a character overcoming their fears, it's simple and obvious to create a bully or naysayer to constantly mock and harry them and who can be shown up at the end. Not having one freed up a lot of time that would otherwise have been spent in pointless confrontations and put it to good use by focusing on the character that the episode is actually about.

• Brohoof 1

I never interpreted those two as being malicious. Frankly I don't think any pegasus would have the guts to tease a friend of Dash. I assumed they had their own conversation and something was funny in that context. Or Fluttershy forgot to brush her mane or something.

I agree with the idea that Fluttershy took it the wrong way due to her paranoia of the situation at hand. Flitter and Cloudchaser seemed to be laughing at one another while they were talking, and turned to see who was taking their turn on the track before going back to their conversation. I mean perhaps they did find it a bit funny that she was in essence not flying as quick as the others, and that would have been in bad taste yes, but they did seem genuine in their concern when she ran away in a mixture of fear, self-disappointment, and sadness. So I see it as a mixture of both perhaps.

I think the episode was trying to teach that you can't hide from your fears forever. Its a simple concept, but it is played so well in this episode which is one of the many reasons that I find this one to be my favorite episode out of the entire series so far. The episode plays deep Fluttershy's overall paranoia in certain situations based on her past, and also provide insight into why Fluttershy is as shy as she really is. It makes me wonder onto just how strong her personal demons are when it comes to her overall social life. Its something that I continually wonder when she gets into situations which make her shyness come out more. 

• Brohoof 2