Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies And Religion?

King

There seems to be a trend among many of the Bronies I have met in my many months as a fan. Many Bronies seem to be Aethiest or just non believers in a whole.

Now while I know this is obviously not true about all of you, I started wondering why it was, that I began meeting so many Aethiest or non believing Bronies. Was it simply due to the fact that many younger people today are focusing less on religion and more on technology and whatnot?

Or is there something about the Brony community that draws in a more...non-religious crowd?

Id like to get everyones opinions on this?

Are you religious?

Do you think being a Brony effects peoples Religious views at all?

My View...

In my view, religion and being a Brony dont effect each other at all. Im non religious, but I respect everyones right to believe and I dont see why being a Brony should effect your religious status.

• Brohoof 9

I honestly think that it's just coincidence that many bronies just happen to be non-believers. Many young people today in my opinion are atheist or non-believers don't know why i just think it's true. Personally i'm Christian and i don't care what my friends religion is as long as they don't hate on my beliefs. I respect people as long as they have respect for others. If anything it would seem like MLP would draw in more people who are religious due to the show's dealings with magic.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Bronies take a route that forces upon them judgement and assumptions. Well all know what I'm talking about; when people say, "Bronies are gay."

To be able to step away from stereotypes, to ignore the "rules" of masculinity and femininity, and to go through all the things a brony does without being affected means something:

Bronies are reasonable. 

Rather than be a typical teen or adult who assumes things about homosexuals and stereotypes certain behaviours and interests and whatnot, bronies see things in a different light. To be able to not care (and yes, of course I know not all do) what others think and to be able to reasonably distinguish what is incorrect about assuming gender and sexual preference stereotypes means that the person in question takes a more "logical" route of thought process. 

Now go ahead and get butthurt over this, but I believe atheism is more reasonable than religion. Why? I personally don't believe it makes sense to believe in something that has no legitimate proof of its existence. If you're into science, then you know something is only a hypothesis unless absolutely 100% proven, at least when speaking in scientific terms. We don't have 100% proof of any kind of God or gods, so to look at the situation without bias, I would assume one would just think that there would be no God. Now, does this assume that the person in question knows how, where, why and when the universe was created? Not at all. 

And before I go any further, take a look at the definition of "reason" please:

Reason is the capacity for consciously making sense of things, for establishing and verifying facts, and changing or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information

-le wikipedia

The information that we have today does not support proof of a God, so assuming information and putting in "faith" would not be "reasonable." It's literally just like how anti-bronies assume information (sexuality) about bronies (haters assuming they're gay). It is not reasonable, just like it is to assume information about the existence of God. 

At least, that's what I think.

Come at me. Right now. Go ahead. I dare you. :v

Edited by Plummeh
  • Brohoof 7

I'm eclectic wiccan. Obviously I'min the minority here, but I do know quite a lot of religious bronies. I do find what you said about how younger people now days tend to focus less on religion and most bronies are young so it makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's mostly just a coincidence. A lot of bronies are denizens of the internet, and a lot of denizens of the internet are atheist.

The internet itself has a lot more influence on religion than being a brony does.

• Brohoof 4

I think it is due to this modern era.

Lately, many people have been focusing more on science, and technology. Because now we have machines, and facts that prove God is not real. (sorry Christians. :L)

In my opinion; I believe God is not real, or any other god. I believe in Scientology.

And if you choose to believe in God, I won't force you not to.

~Luna

(edited)

I think much of it has been pointed out is that more and more teenagers and young adults who make up the bulk of the brony community are non religious and that many non religious people in general tend to be less reluctant to go against societal norms as being irreligious in and of itself tends to rather taboo as it falsely assuming that nonreligious people are the moral equivalent of Calligulla.

I highly doubt that it has much of an effect of peoples religious views aside from maybe making people a bit less judgmental and more optimistic. I believed in God though didn't really talk about it very much before I became a brony and afterword that has not changed at all.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

I don't really think that being a brony would affect religion, despite the (troll) Christian site awhile back that talked about My Little Pony being satanic and evil lol. I'm not a very good example of my opinion though, because I'm kinda agnostic, but not really sure about a higher power's existence. But I know people who like the show who are pretty devoutly religious, and there are people on this forum who I can see that they are as well. I think people are non-believers in our society in general. The rate of people in America admitting to a lack of belief is growing quite rapidly. Whether this is a positive or negative element, only time will tell, but I digress.

I am open and accepting of religion and people's beliefs, even if I don't have them. After all, the good old brony slogan is "Love and tolerate." Oh sweet Celestia this was deep AND cheesy, I'm going to go kill my brain cells with some A Dose of Buckley videos and also Skrillex being played full blast through a pair of Bose now...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A couple friends and I created " The Church of the Holy Nipple" as a joke.

Randomly going up to people and saying: excuse me sir/madam, have you found the nipple? 

Edited by T-90MC
  • Brohoof 1

Now go ahead and get butthurt over this, but I believe atheism is more reasonable than religion. Why? I personally don't believe it makes sense to believe in something that has no legitimate proof of its existence. If you're into science, then you know something is only a hypothesis unless absolutely 100% proven, at least when speaking in scientific terms. We don't have 100% proof of any kind of God or gods, so to look at the situation without bias, I would assume one would just think that there would be no God. Now, does this assume that the person in question knows how, where, why and when the universe was created? Not at all. 

I'm a christian and honestly i don't mind what others believe as long as they respect my beliefs i'll respect their's. I'm not trying to have an argument with you but what about the fact that many scientific facts are debated by others even many scientific facts technically can't be 100% true seeing as their are many scientists who may disagree with said fact and try and use science to disprove said fact. you say it is not reasonable to assume information about god but what about scientists that discovered new science? I'm sure many of them before their scientific facts were proven were not believed but they had so called faith in their theory that they continued to push for it and eventually were able to prove their theory. BTW: while at the moment god or gods cannot be scientifically proven who's to say in the future they won't be proven to be real?

• Brohoof 3

I have noticed that a lot. I don't know why, but Christian/Catholic bronies seem to be a bit of the minority, and I'm not quite sure why.

I'm very religious, and while it may not be 'reasonable' to be both religious and a brony, I still stand by both groups of people. I can wear a Derpy hoodie to my Women Of God seminars and be perfectly at ease. (That's under the assumption I own a Derpy hoodie. :() I think the internet does dictate a lot of people's beliefs and worldviews, and it's becoming less and less 'popular' to admit you're religious.

I don't think being a brony would affect your religion. I can see how it might affect your acceptance of religion, but I don't see how it could sway someone in the opposite direction.

In all honesty, who is going to look at a bunch of pastel colored ponies and go, "Oh yeah. That's proof of God right there, man."

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well I'm an atheist brony, but when I first started watching MLP I was still a Catholic/borderline agnostic. I wouldn't say MLP affected my views on religion very much, even before that I thought what the church did to Galeleo was awful.

Edited by Neighvana666
  • Brohoof 2

BTW: while at the moment god or gods cannot be scientifically proven who's to say in the future they won't be proven to be real?

I would be skeptical of that, to be perfectly honest. God is omnipotent and omnipresent, and I don't see how he can be proved. Imagine the headlines: "Thumbprint of God Justifies Millions of Religious People!" If we proved his existence, it would be the ultimate proof of our lack of faith. Therefore, there can be no proof without trust.

I should go to bed...

while at the moment god or gods cannot be scientifically proven who's to say in the future they won't be proven to be real?

This is my point.

They are not proven at the moment. If they are, then okay, whoopie doo. I'll probably start believing, myself. But until then, believing in it for no reason other than "because" doesn't seem reasonable to me. 

you say it is not reasonable to assume information about god but what about scientists that discovered new science? I'm sure many of them before their scientific facts were proven were not believed but they had so called faith in their theory that they continued to push for it and eventually were able to prove their theory.

Are you a scientist? No.

Are most people scientists? No.

People believing and putting faith in something that they have not put forth any of their own research into is different than a scientist trying to prove something that they have an educated guess about. Sure, you could say "I believe there is a god, because the creation of everything makes absolutely no sense, therefore there must be some kind of deity" is fine. I understand that. However, if you don't even try to prove your own hypothesis, your views are irrelevant, as they are beliefs without enough content to support absolute legitimacy of.

It's like if I said, "I believe there is a cat in this locked safe" and protecting that belief to a ludicrous level when there's truly no evidence to support it or to validate any form of educated guess. People would think I'm ridiculous.

But I'm not going to continue this off-topic discussion. And this goes for everyone else who was planning on quoting my post and starting any argument(s). 

The show espouses tolerance and many such positive virtues which can be incorporated under the 'Golden rule' thesis, or 'Do unto others' depending on your perspective.

Religion doesn't seem to come into it. I've seen the arguments from so-called Christian groups that the show encourages witchcraft and such nonsense-where then is their piety when it comes to 'Judge not, lest ye be also judged'?

The bottom line is that this is a cartoon about magical flying ponies. Let's keep things in perspective a bit, shall we? smile.png

There are more atheist bronies because bronies are mostly young people, and young people are more nonreligious than the average. Why younger people are less religious is a whole different matter that I don't know much about.

I'm a Thelemite but it doesn't really have any bearing on the fact that I'm a MLP fan.  Perhaps it gives me a more open mind but I think that's it.

I think for the most part the correlation between atheism and brony[ism?] is simply because both are to some extent the product of the Internet (not all atheism, obviously).

I don't really see what strong connections the two can have.

Come at me. Right now. Go ahead. I dare you. :v

As you wish!

Now, let me ask, since it seems important to me: how much reading have you actually done on the arguments for/against the existence of God?

I notice a lot of people will boldly claim "there's no evidence for God!" yet when push comes to shove the best they can do is parrot  popular-level atheist arguments they've read on the Internet or have seen on Youtube.

Exactly what kind of evidence are you looking for, anyway? Philosophical arguments? Historical testimony? Something you can see through a microscope?

There are some things you've said that I think are absolutely misconceived. Such as the claim that it's a hypothesis until proven with 100% certainty. This is simply an outlandish methodology you're using. Arguably, we can't have 100% certainty of anything, let alone how nature works. There's always room for error. But this last point is sort of unrelated to my first set of questions, though.

• Brohoof 3

Now, let me ask, since it seems important to me: how much reading have you actually done on the arguments for/against the existence of God?

Virtually none. 

Hence the reason I'm agnostic. I have no proof either way, so I stay out of the picture altogether. 

Speaking of something like a deity makes no sense to me to begin with, because such a concept hardly seems fully comprehensible whatsoever.

Arguably, we can't have 100% certainty of anything,

I know this. I thought about adding it to my post, but then it would ruin my point.

My point and argument are not about the belief of God or gods, but rather, the thought process behind them. More evidence proves towards a lack of a god. One would only assume that this would mean atheism is more "reasonable." The only way to believe in God is to assume things are legitimate. Hence the entire thing in faith. Want a definition of the word "faith?"

2b (1) :

firm belief in something for which there is no proof

-le merriam-webster.com

That is what I'm getting at. Whether God exists or not is a completely different topic, and one that I honestly really hate. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

One thing I find annoying is when someone calls atheism a religion. Atheism is NOT a religion, and neiter are agnosticism and deism. Christianity is a religion, monotheism is NOT a religion. Another thing I find annoying is when people link atheism to Pol Pot and mass murder. I don't link all Catholics to Adolf Hitler or all Muslims to Osama bin Laden, so then why do SOME people link atheism to mass murder. 

Edited by Neighvana666
  • Brohoof 3

I think they are related in the way that I don't expect ultra conservatives to be bronies and conservatives are usually religious, especially of the Catholic variety. The reason I don't think many hard core conservatives/Catholics would become a brony is that it is against the norm socially.

I've never really been religious.

(edited)

Atheism is NOT a religion

Atheism is identifying yourself with a specific group that has a religious non-belief....Atheism IS a religion...but not how you would normally see one....

I dont identify with any group really, Im just a non Believer...

I dont think I'll ever believe, but I do respect everyones rights to believe and I always will...

It's all part of being tolerant...why hate on people for their belief? Thats just stupid in my opinion...

Just accept them for who they are, and be nice...

Being a Christian or a Muslim, or Jewish, doesn't effect a person "fun factor" or anything :/

Edited by ~Dawn♥Rider~

I think they are related in the way that I don't expect ultra conservatives to be bronies and conservatives are usually religious, especially of the Catholic variety. The reason I don't think many hard core conservatives/Catholics would become a brony is that it is against the norm socially.

I've never really been religious.

*very long awkward silence*

I'm ultra conservative. huh.png And while I'm not Catholic, I'm certainly a devout Christian. And also a brony. But I realize what you're saying, and I suppose that would make me the exception, not the rule.

• Brohoof 1

this is something i noticed that makes no sense to me. so many self proclaimed bronies spread the message of love and tolerance as if these things hold significance, yet scorn religion and the idea that the universe holds any significance beyond spontaneous existence. i think if you value these ideals you should at the very least be willing to hope in some objective significance in these ideals be it through a god or another spiritual belief.

on another level i suppose it does make some sense. maybe the show attracts atheists because they dont have anything else to believe in and on some level they do hope for some objective good.

Atheism is identifying yourself with a specific group that has a religious non-belief....Atheism IS a religion...but not how you would normally see one....

Religions have a complex sets of different creeds which deal with many different subjects including different ways to interpret particular passages in the bible or whatever holy text they may hold sacred, whether or not people have free will, why there is evil in the world, and a ton of other subjects.While atheism only has one creed being "there is no God", but some of the more extreme atheists sometimes treat it like it is a religion which dosen't help matters. So it is a bit silly to call something with only one creed and no organized structure a religion.

• Brohoof 1