Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Twilicorn did not happen "too soon."

Pony Of The Month

This is a pretty common argument against twilicorn. "It happened too soon. It should've happened in the SERIES finale!"

Well, it sort of did happen in the series finale. Magical Mystery Cure was originally written as a series finale. They didn't think they would have another season. They weren't expecting any more than 65 episodes, so that's why they chose to "end" it here. But than Hasbro gave them another 26-episode season. So now we get to see what happens next.

It almost sounds like you guys are saying "I don't want to see Twilight's new life as a princess. I'm not curious at all about it."

Which is fine. But if that's the case, why not just keep your original 65 episodes, and stop asking for more?

If you want more episodes, you have to except the fact that the show is going on longer than it was supposed to, and naturally, there are going to be changes. Even in a show as stale as Spongebob, it has not stayed the same throughout.

Also think about it. Even if this wasn't originally written as a series finale, it still didn't happen until episode 65. Not episode 3. 65 is a lot of episodes, and it's very common for shows to end with 65 episodes. Most Disney shows only last for 65 episodes, and there are only a few exceptions. 

I would sort of understand this argument if this show went on for 10 seasons. But until than, I can't understand why anyone would yell "too soon."

But now that the show has been renewed for another season, we get to see Twilight as an alicorn. I like to think of this Season, and whatever seasons we get in the future, as sequals to the original 65 episodes.

• Brohoof 4

"Sequels to the original 65 episodes"?

I agreed with most up until that part, seasons are supposed to build off of each other, not birth like spin-off's of each other.

Twilicorn season is like that, a spin-off of the original Twilight if she were a princess. It's not the same as the original of course, but that doesn't mean everyone has to panic and cry; I think it's an interesting take and I'd like to see how it works out. 

It did seem very sudden and spontaneous, but definitely not too soon. Three seasons is plenty time to milk Twilight's (Oh my gosh I could have worded that better) Ponyville lessons before a change-up. If they introduced the concept more gradually, I'm sure it wouldn't have made as big of a bomb as most of the community sees it as. But as a season finale, under-explained, spontaneous, last-5 minutes bombshell wasn't the best choice. 

• Brohoof 1

People would have still been upset (insert pet peeve here). Even if they "prepared" the fans, and I'm not too sure what preparation episodes would have looked like, I'm positive ponies woud have found issues. As far as I'm concerned the whole show was leading up to her ascending to a princessship.

Edited by Nature Spell

I disagree.  Firstly, whether Magical Mystery Cure was written as a series finale or not, it was as rushed as the decision to turn Twilight into an alicorn.  Many have pointed out that MMC deserved to be at least spread across two episodes for all the territory it had to cover.

As far as more lead-up episodes are concerned, I suppose I would have expected to see Twilight challenged in the areas of diplomacy, community consciousness, and more frequent delegation of responsibility so she could focus on duties only she could perform...all the while increasing her magical abilities, and actually showing us something of Starswirl the Bearded (through flashbacks, etc) other than his name and a costume mimicking him.  I feel this is important because Starswirl seems like Twilight's predecessor, the unicorn who might have become an alicorn but failed where Twilight succeeded.  All of this may happen after the fact, but that makes Princess Celestia seem irresponsible, and/or cheapens the gift of alicorn/princess-hood, because Twilight didn't work *as* hard for it.

"But," you might say, "look at everything Twilight DID do!"  Sure, she and her friends accomplished amazing feats, probably saving Equestria several times over.  So what?  You don't think they're the only heroes in the land, do you?  Or the only heroes to arise over the past 1000 years of Equestrian history?  ...Of course, we don't actually know how many alicorns there are.  It's possible there are more than we've been led to believe, and Twilight's transformation isn't as rare as we'd suppose, in which case I have far less of a quibble with how things have been done.

Making Twilight an alicorn at the point in the series they did (pressured though they were, so I can't blame the writers) was like letting Naruto become Hokage after 65 episodes, or allowing Star Trek's Voyager to return home in season three.  The shoe has dropped.  Yes, adventures *can* continue, but no one's holding their breath anymore.  The 'underdog' has won.

• Brohoof 5

Link to where you heard MMC was supposed to be the series finale? It's quite possible, I have heard that rumor before and there is some sense to it, but I don't remember it being confirmed.

In any case, words cannot express how happy I am that there will be more MLP episodes, and moreso that Magical Mystery Cure wasn't the note that the series ended on (I prefer for my finales to address the futures/destinies of more than one character). However, just because the situation could be worse doesn't mean that I have to love the situation as it is. People aren't lining up to defend Spike at Your Service because (from what the writers have implied) it could have been a much more hated episode than it was, and one that would've demonized Rarity.

It's a similar situation to Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt. I view a character with a goal as generally much more interesting than a character who has achieved one. This is why I think it would be much more satisfactory for her to become one at the end of the series, with more build up. If it happened earlier, I would recognize the storytelling potential and I would be very happy for her (much like my feelings toward Alicorn Twilight) but I'm not sure if I would be completely happy with the timing. Regardless, Dash becoming a Wonderbolt has much less potential to impact the story than Twilight's becoming a princess.

All in all I'm not completely happy with it, but I'm waiting to see if they can use the change well.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 2

Just imagine what will happen if Hasbro splits off the mane 6 further like Lauren Faust intended with Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt and Rarity going to Canterlot. Do we really want to deny our characters goals and destinies so we can live in a "nothing new happens" reality. I like it when things create new cannon. I don't think Hasbro ever didn't think Season 4 was going to happen though. It doesn't seem like they were going to kill a cash cow like MLP and i have heard nothing that indicates that they were worried about ratings.....

Biggest issue with Twi becoming an Alicorn is we have nearly a YEAR to whinge about the changes to see what they DO with it in season 4 and the finale was rushed and somewhat thrown together. Neither of those 2 factors helped either.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really have a solid opinion on the whole Alicorn Twilight thing, but I can say that I just think they could've handled it better.

I've kind of figured for a while now that this might happen, especially since she is the star pupil of the freaking ruler of Equestria, but I feel that Magical Mystery Cure, as has been said probably a thousand times, could've been done over two episodes.

Maybe even as a cliffhanger, where Twilight looks like she has failed at the end of this season and cannot help her friends, but then discovers how to undo it next season and then becomes an Alicorn. I feel like that would've been better, although leaving off on a cliffhanger probably would've given rise to other complaints besides the Alicorn thing.

I'm not completely sure. I do agree that we've had plenty of build up, and I actually thing the whole thing about diplomatic abilities could be brought up now that she's a Princess, although one could certainly argue that Celestia should've thought more about training her in those areas before making this huge change for her. Knowing Celestia, though, she probably wants Twilight to learn how to be a Princess the hard way.

My main issue with Twilight becoming an Alicorn isn't that she is one now, but that Celestia didn't freaking ask her permission to make her one. She just sort of... did. Sure, Celestia might think Twilight is ready, but I really do think this is something that Celestia should've left up for Twilight to choose.

Twilicorn not being rushed due to MMC originally being intended as a series finale is simply put a seriously flawed argument. Lets say that it did end up being the series finale, we know that Twilight becomes an alicorn princess but exactly what kind of responsibilities would she have? How would it affect her relationship with the other mane 6? Why did Celestia not even bother talking to Twilight about this?

And what about the other mane 6? Rainbow Dash's dreams to become a Wonderbolt, Rarity's boutique or Pinkie Pie's apprenticeship to the cakes. As much as I may like Twilight this is not the Twilight Sparkle show and all of the other mane 6 deserved to have their stories wrapped just as much as Twilight. A good series finale at least ties up most of the loose ends and gives a satisfying conclusion to the story which is not what MMC would have done if it were a series finale.

I myself am one the many people who said it was too soon, but if it was introduced a bit later even if that later wasn't the series finale I probably would have supported it if it was given the proper buildup and was handled properly. Even I admit that there is a lot of potential in this idea even if it is pre mature, but even if this does work out it still dosen't excuse MMC's rushed nonsensical nature as an episode one bit.

• Brohoof 5

Twilicorn not being rushed due to MMC originally being intended as a series finale is simply put a seriously flawed argument. Lets say that it did end up being the series finale, we know that Twilight becomes an alicorn princess but exactly what kind of responsibilities would she have? How would it affect her relationship with the other mane 6? Why did Celestia not even bother talking to Twilight about this?

And what about the other mane 6? Rainbow Dash's dreams to become a Wonderbolt, Rarity's boutique or Pinkie Pie's apprenticeship to the cakes. As much as I may like Twilight this is not the Twilight Sparkle show and all of the other mane 6 deserved to have their stories wrapped just as much as Twilight. A good series finale at least ties up most of the loose ends and gives a satisfying conclusion to the story which is not what MMC would have done if it were a series finale.

I myself am one the many people who said it was too soon, but if it was introduced a bit later even if that later wasn't the series finale I probably would have supported it if it was given the proper buildup and was handled properly. Even I admit that there is a lot of potential in this idea even if it is pre mature, but even if this does work out it still dosen't excuse MMC's rushed nonsensical nature as an episode one bit.

I agree on the point about Magical Mystery Cure.. I loved the songs in Magical Mystery Cure, but it honestly should've had both build up and should've been a two parter. This is the biggest change in the Mane Six dynamic thus far, and deserved a two parter as much as the series beginning was a two parter.

It almost sounds like you guys are saying "I don't want to see Twilight's new life as a princess. I'm not curious at all about it."

Alright, lemme stop you right there.

No that is not at all what anyone is saying, or at least no one I've met yet.

The way i see it is no more of the small adventures they'll go on such as the hydra on the forest or the Diamond Dogs. Now it's all "OH NO THE FUTURE OF EQUESTRIA IS IN PERIL, QUICK USE FRIENDSHIP"

Those season 1 episodes that were actually about solving problems as friends, I felt they could of kept doing that for another season or two, and then move on to the whole "YOU ALL NEED TO SAVE EQUESTRIA" Seasons, in my opinion Season 4.

I'm still giving Twilicorn a chance, i am somewhat curious on what'll be done with her once season 4 comes by. Edited by Pinkazoid!

Alright, lemme stop you right there.

No that is not at all what anyone is saying, or at least no one I've met yet.

The way i see it is no more of the small adventures they'll go on such as the hydra on the forest or the Diamond Dogs. Now it's all "OH NO THE FUTURE OF EQUESTRIA IS IN PERIL, QUICK USE FRIENDSHIP"

Those season 1 episodes that were actually about solving problems as friends, I felt they could of kept doing that for another season or two, and then move on to the whole "YOU ALL NEED TO SAVE EQUESTRIA" Seasons, in my opinion Season 4.

I'm still giving Twilicorn a chance, i am somewhat curious on what'll be done with her once season 4 comes by.

To be honest, it seems that most of the folks who at first hated have moved on to just questioning the method in which it was pulled off. I personally can't wait to see if we have grander adventures and everything, but I just wish it was handled differently. I think most people are now of this mindset now that they've realized that there are a lot of cool stuff that can happen now that Twilight's a Princess.

Oh well, for all I know the way it was handled was the best way to handle. Always fun to have a friendly debate about it, though.

Edited by Rainblow Hash
  • Brohoof 1

I think when you have a show characters need to grow and change over time. Part of the reason shows like the Simpsons got stale is because of the "status quo is God" attitude that left us with the same thing episode after episode.

I actually like the direction the show is starting to take, I like the epic episodes like the Wedding, Mystery Cure, and the show's premiere, or even Magic Duel. I'd be happy if we got more adventure episodes like that out of this. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think you need at all to even point out that this was originally intended to be the series finale  For one it gets into unknown production factors. I think you should instead be focusing on the content in the actual show. There are factors in the actual show you could point that lead to this moment. Arguments can and have been made for why this is a good thing and how well the show had led to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

WHOA, WHOA.

O.K., if Twilight HAS to be a princess in order for the show to go on, then I'll be fine with that!

But seriously? Only 65 episodes? If they did that, I'd be crying for so long...

I'm so glad they're doing another season. I hope they keep going for season after season after season!

(But I still don't like the transformation)

P.S. You scared me! blink.png