Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Saw Oppenheimer

Spoiler

To give @TheAnimationFanatic credit where it's due, gripping story about one man's goal of building humans' power to destroy themselves.  Haunting results of it to the tensioned core of the only option to end World War II.  The nerve-wrecking aftermath the main character is put through, government scrutiny wise.  Anything for people to point fingers at someone.  

These were his words,

• Brohoof 1

Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir: The Movie (2023): As an alternate reality re-telling of the running cartoon series in progress, this movie gets right down to a lot of the basic stuff the series has been stretching out since its beginning. Overall, the look was stunning and I liked that they made it a musical except for the fact that the singing voices were so badly mismatched with the speaking voices (especially Marinette) it killed the mood every time a song came on. I also was unimpressed with the unbelievably cliché idea of having yet another battle in a church, as though it’s so cool to deface something that matters to half the world’s population. It ISN’T original or cool and has been done literally thousands of times in movies. And much of that was out of character and out of place anyway.

Twister (1996): Fun and easy to watch. In this case, the less plot the better. I don’t need to be bogged down by a paste-and-play divorce subplot for the main characters. It’s boring. Just give me some cool tornadoes and let the flying cows fly!

The Fugitive (1993): Solid, well-made and entertaining. Harrison Ford is really good as the falsely convicted fugitive to Tommy Lee Jones’ relentless pursuer. The plot is smooth, tight and well-written, with some really solid performances.

John Wick 4: Absurd, infantile crap.

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-08-08 at 10:37 PM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Saw Oppenheimer

Hide contents

To give @TheAnimationFanatic credit where it's due, gripping story about one man's goal of building humans' power to destroy themselves.  Haunting results of it to the tensioned core of the only option to end World War II.  The nerve-wrecking aftermath the main character is put through, government scrutiny wise.  Anything for people to point fingers at someone.  

These were his words,

He was quoting the Bhagavad Gita.

• Brohoof 1

Adventures in Babysitting (1987): A decent movie with an interesting story. Imperfectly executed but good enough to do the job. I like the idea of kids having adventures in a nocturnal city setting and all the possibilities thereof. I watched it on Disney+ and it was 'edited for content' which is unheard of on a streaming service, so maybe I'll just buy a used dvd or something for the next time.

Edited by Dreambiscuit

The Flash. Definitely enjoy watching this one! They actually did the time jump- multi-universe conflicts a better justice than the Marvel movies garbage aside from Wanda of course. First few movie to see where the heroes actually didn’t win at the end. Quite surprising to see! When instead the idea of a “villain” itself more of a self-reflection. Ezra miller did a wonderful job on both their role as the serious and the fun side for their character.

I don’t care what things being said in the media about them, but they did a great job as flash and I’m so glad WB didn’t recast the character. Seeing George Clooney as Batman hit so different and nostalgic compared when seeing all the Spider-Man cast in the latest spider man movie. Not to mention showing the old casts from DC as the Easter egg! What a treat!! My only disappointment was how not enough Super girl. :blush: She so coool and I hope they will bring her back somehow! 10/10

• Brohoof 1

Blue Beetle - Nothing groundbreaking, but it's easily the best DC movie this year (way better than Shazam 2 and whatever the hell The Flash was). A solid superhero story with a lot of humor and heart. Loved the representation and Xolo as Jaime. I'm very happy that Gunn is bringing him into the DCU. out of 10.

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 1

Watching Polly Pocket Sparkle Cove Adventures which just premiered on Netflix.

Starts with the characters at "I can't believe this isn't Cloudsdale".😆

Edited by Antiyonder

The Music Man (1962): A superior musical starring the incomparable Robert Preston in his signature role. The songs are perfect from end-to-end and the storytelling is second to none. It put me in a great mood all day.

Mavka: The Forest Song (2023): This Ukrainian animated movie is a tale about Mavka, a forest spirit who meets a human guy and falls for him, in a world where human contact is forbidden. This was a decent movie if not perfect. It had a few nice original touches that elevated it above the usual churned-out junk I see too often in CG animation. The characters were nicely written and rendered, especially Mavka.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (2023): Two and a half hours of mind-numbing boredom. It seems the script was written on the back of a shopping bag as they went along. Most scenes were over-long and meaningless while the parts that actually mattered were glossed-over too fast, making the so-called plot even more vague when it needed attention the most. Script writing and editing have become a lost art; you can’t greenlight a script until its finished and hope to make up for the glaring discrepancies with a lot of special effects as a finale. Producers think the audience will forgive anything if you give them a splashy finish. The fact is, everyone’s been overloaded with CG effects and they just aren’t impressive if they’re not used in support of a good story. When you look at great moviemaking like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark you see stories where every scene moves the plot forward and contributes something of value, building momentum to the finale. There’s no waste and nothing left over to drag them down. Now, producers have become so lazy, figuring they could skip the writing stage altogether because gool ol’ technology will win the day and visually dazzle the audience into an all-accepting stupor. They didn’t even have the basic skills to edit an hour of fat off this monstrosity. This movie sucked.

9 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Two and a half hours of mind-numbing boredom. It seems the script was written on the back of a shopping bag as they went along

Sorry but that's really funny :ButtercupLaugh:

Mavka sounds amazing. Did a Wiki on it, good lord .....

• Brohoof 1

WarGames (1983): I like this movie, always have. Matthew Broderick is great as a teenager who inadvertently breaks into the national defense system while trying to hack into a gaming program and brings the world within moments of World War 3. It’s fun, interesting and doesn’t waste time getting to the point. Ally Sheedy is at her best in this movie too.

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah

I thought it was a super cute teen movie.  Was fun to see Adam Sandler and his family all together (although his wife is playing someone else's wife), and his youngest daughter as the lead is really good.  I have a feeling she'll break out doing more movies (including those without her dad) sometime in the future ^_^

Edited by Dita Bear

Ok so like hear me out. I remember seeing previews for The HappyTime Murders back in 2018 when I went . Anyway when I went on Netflix today I saw it was on there. I remembered it and was like you know what? I’m gonna watch this.

So it was uh interesting…… however I have a really stupid sense of humor. So I found it funny however this is one of those movies I’ll never admit to anyone in my personal life that I watched it.

Singin’ in the Rain (1952): I’ve seen this movie a zillion times but it’s been a while and watching it again was a real treat. The writing, directing, acting, songs and choreography are simply perfect. And many of the numbers are incredibly intricate. Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds are sublime in this thing and I felt happy for hours after watching it. That’s not a feeling I get after many movies lately.

A Perfect Murder (1998): A solid, slick movie about a guy (Michael Douglas) plotting the perfect murder of his wife after discovering her infidelity to him. This was right in the middle of a good streak of movies for Michael Douglas and this movie added to his success very nicely. It’s tightly written, adroitly acted and all-around well done.

When Harry Met Sally (1989): I can’t believe that after all these years I never caught up with this movie. And overall I liked it. Meg Ryan is always very engaging and real, and Billy Crystal is a likable guy. Not to mention my favorite actress EVER, Carrie Fisher! The movie is about the characters navigating through the ups and downs of romantic relationships over the course of about ten years. The one thing that makes me unable to really sympathize with the characters is that they all treat intimacy as though it’s no more meaningful than a handshake, and then they ultimately wonder why they’re always so unhappy and unfulfilled. Newsflash folks, if you cheapen something meaningful, you won’t find meaning. That’s pretty basic. But Hollywood writers live in a very unreal world and have no clue about real people. So, even though I liked the movie, it was far from perfect.