Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

tartarus

pinkiepool

what does everypony think is behind the gates of tartarus? there are so many monsters running around equestria that it sorta makes you wander what was bad enough to be locked up with that fearsome guard dog.huh.png

• Brohoof 4

I'm not completely sure, but that's actually something I've been thinking about for some time. I'm sure others have thought about it before too, but I always like to imagine that there are some truly frightening things in Tartarus, perhaps villains who were cast down or dangerous creatures that couldn't coexist with the other species in Eqeustria and only caused chaos. 

I personally think that perhaps magic or demonic creatures live there and could escape if Tartarus is left unguarded for too long. Although there is the possibility that the next big villain originates from there... it certainly would be a good source for a powerful villain to come out of nowhere!

• Brohoof 1

that is a good point, but what about dischord then? he is a master of chaos. why would the sisters just turn him to stone instead of doing that and putting him in tartarus?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Seeing as how most of the show's canon derives from Greek mythology, I would say that many things found in the Underworld (also known as Tatarus) would be there; with ponified names of course.  Hell (no pun intended), there could even be a ponifed version of Hades that rules it.  Celestia acting as Zeus, Luna as Posiedon, whoever as Hades.

All these connections...

Interesting bit of theorycrafting to be had.

EDIT: Spelled Zeus wrong.

Edited by IronPuddinG
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

that is a good point, but what about dischord then? he is a master of chaos. why would the sisters just turn him to stone instead of doing that and putting him in tartarus?

True... perhaps it's as IronPudding said and there is actually a lord of Tartarus and everything?

Besides, perhaps the sisters don't have the ability to banish creatures there. Demons and other crazy magical beings could actually maybe live there, and Cerberus is the only thing keeping them from leaking into Equestria. Or maybe the freaking Smooze is in Tartarus, that's something I'm sure quite a few fans could get behind.

Edited by Rainblow Hash
  • Brohoof 1

that makes sense. i did not realise before how much luna is like posidon. goddess of horses and the moon, which controls the tides. does this mean that there are 13 alicorns? that would be cool.img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

hail lord smooze! that would be like another lunar republic v. solar empire. i really think that fight was stupid to fight about.mellow.png

• Brohoof 1

I always thought of Tartarus as the underworld basically. It seems to be from what I can tell. 

I'm not sure if it'll ever been explored though honestly. But it would be interesting. 

I always think of it as the underworld basically, I think Tartarus is also what the underworld is refered to sometimes, so I guess thats probably why.

• Brohoof 1

Who really knows what's behind the gates of tartarus.

The fact that something like that exist in their own universe is disturbing to me.

Because, if it's anything like God of War, I can only imagine what lies ahead...

god_of_war_iii_conceptart_Jfxy1.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I always thought of Tartarus as the underworld basically. It seems to be from what I can tell. 

I'm not sure if it'll ever been explored though honestly. But it would be interesting. 

I always think of it as the underworld basically, I think Tartarus is also what the underworld is refered to sometimes, so I guess thats probably why.

Yeah, that's where my idea that perhaps Demonic creatures, magical beings, or just evil creatures in general lived there. Or perhaps they could go the route of saying bad ponies go there after they die, but I doubt the show would be that dark about it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Fascinating concept, that. One barely touched on by the show that has an indescribable amount of potential to be delved into by the fan writers, analysts, and theorists....have I ever mentioned that this is one of the biggest reasons I love the show on a story level? The ridiculous amount of potential for fan exploration?

But I digress. It does seem very similar to the Tartarus of the Greek world--and by extension, MLP's world seems similar to the Greek mythological world--but there is one huge difference between the two fantasy worlds, that has a ton of implications:

MLP's world is ruled by black-and-white morality and by blatantly kind rulers. The Greek world is ruled by gods who are all abhorrently evil in their own special ways (Zeus the rapist, Hera the merciless murderer of Zeus's mistresses--come to think of it, haven't they all murdered a bunch of nameless Greeks?--Dionysus the bringer of madness to many, etc.), but not as bad as their enemies.

...hm. Maybe I could write a fic expanding on the show's implications regarding its version of Tartarus; thank you, sir, for giving me the idea. /)

Edited by Night Shine
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, that's where my idea that perhaps Demonic creatures, magical beings, or just evil creatures in general lived there. Or perhaps they could go the route of saying bad ponies go there after they die, but I doubt the show would be that dark about it.

I imagine Death won't be explicitly stated in a kids show, I feel like its to risky, it may be hinted at, but probably never stated.

But yeah I agree, I'm pretty sure its a demonic filled place, with all kinds of evil, so yeah basically the underworld :P.

I'm not even sure if they'll explore Tartarus simply because it may be to dark in itself, I mean its hard to make it seem bright enough for a kids show, but idk this show has passed some barriers for the kids show rating it seems and pushed close on them before, so maybe I underestimate the writers.

I'd be totally cool with seeing it though, atleast once. not sure what would happen, but I always like to know more about new locations in fantasy worlds such as this.

• Brohoof 2

you guys all seem awesome. i was actually thinking of making a forum called "return from tartarus". i think i would like to see all of you once i finish the initial story.laugh.png

(edited)

Do ya'll think maybe King Sombra was locked up there, but escaped? correct me if I'm wrong, and I most likely am, but didn't the episode where Cerberus ran amuck in Ponyville come before the Crystal Empire episode(s)?

Edited by Teh Lemonz
  • Brohoof 1

oh yeah, right. I knew I was probably wrong. Told you guys. My memory on this show is a little fuzzy. I also forgot what poison joke was for a bit.

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised they even used such a reference in this show. I mean Tartarus literally means Hell in another language...Surprising they would have such a reference in there. Or even a Cerberus for that matter.

• Brohoof 1

I pretty much agree, the show is mostly based on Greek mythology and we have seen some signs of mythology in the show. Tartarus must be the underworld or at least a nickname for Hades. But anyway, it must be shown in some ways.

• Brohoof 1

I pretty much agree, the show is mostly based on Greek mythology and we have seen some signs of mythology in the show. Tartarus must be the underworld or at least a nickname for Hades. But anyway, it must be shown in some ways.

I would've thought they would just stick with calling it the stereotypical "netherworld" or "underworld" like alot of shows do. I wouldn't have expected them to cross such a line.

• Brohoof 2

I forgot what Twilight said about it, but (and I know this doesn't fit Greek mythology at all) I always thought that Tartarus was the Alkatraz of Equestria; a place where only the vilest villains and nastiest monsters take residence.

Imagine if a future bad guy was a dude who escaped from there. Or if another one staged a prison brake.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's not really offensive, seeing as little girls don't know what it means and older bronies don't have a problem with it being called 'Tartarus'

Edited by Teh Lemonz
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I look at it as another touch of darkness in a (usually) light and sugary world, and very interesting to say the least. Though I don't know all that much about it (my forte is Norse Mythology).

Edited by The Oneiromancer
  • Brohoof 1

I look at it as another touch of darkness in a (usually) light and sugary world, and very interesting to say the least. Though I don't know all that much about it (my forte is Norse Mythology).

BY odin's beard! i thought i was the only norse brony! i have always loved norse mythology, and mythology in general. you deserve this brohoof!

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one waiting for someone I'm the show to say. "What the Tartarus is this?" It would be a censored profanity or something. People would understand the sub text behind it and maybe get a chuckle out of it.

• Brohoof 1

I imagine it's like Equestria's version of Hell for monsters, evil spirits, and demonic entities, I can't believe I still haven't found ANY fanfics about what's behind Tatarus or what it's like inside, there are very few fanfics that I have read that even mention the name of it.

• Brohoof 1

i know! you would think the writers would recognize such a huge possibility! just think of all the monster designs and demonic creatures that could be made!