Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everyone think it's "cool" to hate Skrillex?

Justin ZW

So I'm seriously tired of people always comparing everything to Skrillex and generally shitting on him.

1. Sonny Moore is a talented individual. It's quite possible that his previous fame of From First to Last helped him break through into mainstream with his Skrillex act, but I still believe in giving credit where it is due.

2. You can't compare every damn dubstep track ever to Skrillex. This really annoys the hell out of me. I feel like every time I find a good dubstep song on YouTube, the top comment involves someone hating on Skrillex. Seriously? Judge the music by its own right, not by "how it compares to Skrillex."

3. If you don't like Skrillex, that's okay, but is it really necessary to start this massive anti-Skrillex campaign? I honestly feel like that's what's happening right now.

Now, I like Skrillex, but his music was what introduced me to dubstep, and I have ever since explored further into the different styles. While I still enjoy his music, I have other preferences as well.

I just wanted to vent a little about this. I'm not saying he's the greatest musician ever, just saying that the hating is getting old, and it's becoming the "cool" thing to do nowadays.

How about y'all? Do you actually listen to Skrillex?

• Brohoof 7

A lot of people don't think it's "cool", it's called opinion, like me, I dislike Skrillex, generally because I dislike dubstep as a whole, it's not just Skrillex.. The only Skrillex song I liked was the one that was in Far Cry 3. That was good.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

I listen to one song, which is his remix of Sick Bubblegum.

Personally I do hate when people compare songs to Skrillex to. It may as well get annoying but I do see now that other youtubers are generally saying the same thing you are as of now.

I don't really care about him too much or his music in general anymore, since i've gotten into DnB and other dubstep, but yes I still find it shameful to bash on him just because he went mainstream.

Heck I know some people who used to love Skrillex, then started talking trash about him from ^

Edited by 1_0_4_3268764 0 OK 0

(edited)

I don't see why People hate Skrillex so much, I Personally Dislike his music a lot, But I don't go on about it

he has a couple of good songs like 2 or so, I wouldn't classify them as Dubstep though,

I sorta got into his music until I got Pressured out of listening to it for a while by my friends, who themselves hate Skrillex, which I thank those friends or I would still be Listening to him now instead of Nero and Bar9 and Such, Which is Real dubstep, not that sh** Skrillex makes :3

he's all right in my mind, there are a lot more talented ones out there in my opinion, but there's no need to criticize his music, or compare his songs to anything else. I just Personally Leave his "Music" alone half the time, more than Criticise it,

so in my mind. I really don't care

~Sapphire

Edited by Sapphire Quill

(edited)

What I hate about Skrillex? Oh boy, here we go!

1. Contrary to popular belief, he's not a talented individual. His music is inconsistent, random and retarded, feels like having shards of glass slowly inserted in your ear. But if you like his music, it's fine by me, this is a minor reason to why i hate this guy a fiery passion

2.Now this is a huge reason to why I hate Skrillex: His music isn't even Dubstep, yet everybody calls it that, it's Brostep and the whole Brostep fanbase are so stuck up with believing that they are the biggest Dubheads out there, when they barely know what they're talking about

And you say that you don't understand why people hate on Skrillex? If you actually knew anything about Dubstep and see the bastardization which have been done against it, you would clearly see why these people are rightfully pissed.

Let me put it like this. THIS is Dubstep:  

This is NOT Dubstep:

Do you now realize how big the differences are between actual Dubstep and this crap he produces?

You know what? I don't like skrillex. Really.
Sure, he's a figurehead for dubStep and all that, but I prefer listening to musical dubStep, as a pose to nothing but base drops.
If you like well dubbed steps (that's a joke), try EpicNetworkMusic on YouTube. Usually the stuff there is pretty good.

I had no idea hating Skrillex was cool. 
I dislike Skrillex because I dislike Dubstep in general, not because I think its 'cool' to hate.

Just to inform you both, Skrillex is a Brostep producer, not a Dubstep producer

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 4

I really can't stand dubstep. However I have no hate boner towards any producer in particular. I just don't like dubstep, and since he does dubstep, it would make sense for me to naturally dislike his music; not hate, dislike, and not him in particular either.

I had no idea hating Skrillex was cool. 

More or less it has become the normal thing to do in almost every youtube video now. If someone dislikes him and likes another song, its fairly common for them to compare and always say: Skrillex sucks compared to this.

Though it is an opinion for them, about 80-90% of the people hate him just because he went mainstream.

Skrillex is also the musician that got me into dubstep. (The specific song was Bangarang.) I agree that he gets way too much hate. He's a very competent musician, and while a majority of his songs do have the same feel, there is still a fair amount of variety. (particularly with the juxtaposition between melodic and chaotic in Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, as well as the more horror feel of Equinox (First of the Year)) As for comparing all dubstep to him, that's just impractical. Just because two artists are in the same genre does not make them comparable. Is AC/DC comparable to Radiohead? Are the Red Hot Chili Peppers comparable to Volbeat? Is Metallica comparable to the Foo Fighters? They're all rock, right? But they all have distinct styles, as is the case with all worthwhile genres. Likewise, there's a lot of diversity in dubstep. Modestep is not comparable to Knife Party, who isn't comparable to Nero, who isn't comparable to Skrillex, who isn't comparable to Deadmau5, because they all have distinct styles. Certainly there are similarities, but that doesn't mean that any of them can be benchmarks for any others. Yes, it's fair to say you like one more than another (for example, I prefer Knife Party over Modestep, Modestep over Skrillex, Skrillex over Nero, and just don't like Deadmau5,) but don't try to compare everything to one of them, or claim that a song is "better" or "worse" than Skrillex if it's not a comparable style.

Skrillex is also the musician that got me into dubstep. (The specific song was Bangarang.) I agree that he gets way too much hate. He's a very competent musician, and while a majority of his songs do have the same feel, there is still a fair amount of variety. (particularly with the juxtaposition between melodic and chaotic in Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, as well as the more horror feel of Equinox (First of the Year)) As for comparing all dubstep to him, that's just impractical. Just because two artists are in the same genre does not make them comparable. Is AC/DC comparable to Radiohead? Are the Red Hot Chili Peppers comparable to Volbeat? Is Metallica comparable to the Foo Fighters? They're all rock, right? But they all have distinct styles, as is the case with all worthwhile genres. Likewise, there's a lot of diversity in dubstep. Modestep is not comparable to Knife Party, who isn't comparable to Nero, who isn't comparable to Skrillex, who isn't comparable to Deadmau5, because they all have distinct styles. Certainly there are similarities, but that doesn't mean that any of them can be benchmarks for any others. Yes, it's fair to say you like one more than another (for example, I prefer Knife Party over Modestep, Modestep over Skrillex, Skrillex over Nero, and just don't like Deadmau5,) but don't try to compare everything to one of them, or claim that a song is "better" or "worse" than Skrillex if it's not a comparable style.

You have a point there, you can't compare Skrillex's music with something completely different, but why do people still call his music Dubstep then? Also, neither Knife Party or Deadmau5 plays either Dubstep or Brostep, mostly Electrohouse (Although Knife Party does have some Brostep songs)

That would explain the soulless music... Thank you for correcting everyone here about how Skrillex actually works in a sub-genre of dubStep, not dubStep itself. I'm sure our lives are all richer.

I sense some sarcasm in that post

(edited)

@@Soundgarden

I forgot to add in the 'sorry' part a little while back of this (You know, in the banned game), so im just going to imply that I said it in some form of dramatic way.

--

Besides that, I may add in that everyone calls Skrillex brostep, yet they call what you call brostep dubstep. Its unusual to me and you too, but people haven't gotten to hear what older dubstep was like, or they just don't accept it like me.

The people who don't accept it though (like me) would then have the hardest time in their lives figuring out what Skrillex would be if they don't believe in brostep, yet everyone says that's what he makes.

Edited by 1_0_4_3268764 0 OK 0

What I hate about Skrillex? Oh boy, here we go!

1. Contrary to popular belief, he's not a talented individual. His music is inconsistent, random and retarded, feels like having shards of glass slowly inserted in your ear. But if you like his music, it's fine by me, this is a minor reason to why i hate this guy a fiery passion

2.Now this is a huge reason to why I hate Skrillex: His music isn't even Dubstep, yet everybody calls it that, it's Brostep and the whole Brostep fanbase are so stuck up with believing that they are the biggest Dubheads out there, when they barely know what they're talking about

And you say that you don't understand why people hate on Skrillex? If you actually knew anything about Dubstep and see the bastardization which have been done against it, you would clearly see why these people are rightfully pissed.

Let me put it like this. THIS is Dubstep:  

This is NOT Dubstep:

Do you now realize how big the differences are between actual Dubstep and this crap he produces?

Just to inform you both, Skrillex is a Brostep producer, not a Dubstep producer

This is what I gathered from your post.

1. "I dislike his music and therefore he has no talent."

2. "How dare you call him a dubstep artist? He is a brostep artist, which is a form of dubstep, but I still refuse to acknowledge that it's still dubstep because I don't like him and would prefer to keep his name away from dubstep."

By the way, that video you linked is more of chillstep. And it's a pretty terrible example, by the way.

So thank you for parading your opinions around as fact. We really appreciate it. Is there anything else you'd like to teach us? Maybe what actually qualifies as a comedy show on TV? Or perhaps you can tell us what actually makes or breaks a good fiction story?

Oh, and thanks for proving my point.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

2. "How dare you call him a dubstep artist? He is a brostep artist, which is a form of dubstep, but I still refuse to acknowledge that it's still dubstep because I don't like him and would prefer to keep his name away from dubstep."

By the way, that video you linked is more of chillstep. And it's a pretty terrible example, by the way.

So thank you for parading your opinions around as fact. We really appreciate it. Is there anything else you'd like to teach us? Maybe what actually qualifies as a comedy show on TV? Or perhaps you can tell us what actually makes or breaks a good fiction story?

You only seem to be seeing what you want to see

Try to be reasonable here, of course I don't like a musician because he have no talent, but I said that I don't mind if other people like his music

Second, the song I posted is far from Chillstep. Far, far, far, far, far from it. The song I posted is actually Dubstep

And the main reason to why I want to keep his name away from Dusbtep is not because I dislike him, but because his sound doesn't have anything in common with Dubstep at all

Edited by Aaramus
Removing Hidden Quote
  • Brohoof 1

I would also say, that sir.

That is dubstep, believe it or not.

It was hard for me to even compensate that that's the original sound of when it started, but it was there so I had to accept that.

Also, that's not even close to the chill-dubstep. THIS is what that is.

Now compare that to the other song Soundgarden put in.

No one ever said it was "cool"...

Just logical... :P

But seriously, I hate this entire genre (and all of its subgenres, supergenres, what have you) with an unrelenting, undying passion. I do not get the appeal. I do not understand the hype. 

• Brohoof 1

No one ever said it was "cool"...

Just logical... tongue.png

But seriously, I hate this entire genre (and all of its subgenres, supergenres, what have you) with an unrelenting, undying passion. I do not get the appeal. I do not understand the hype. 

I'm not in it for the hype. I enjoy songs with a good beat, and beat is a major part of dubstep.

To put things into perspective, I'm a complete and total rock/metal fan. I love rock from its inception up through today, and can't resist banging my head to a damn good song.

Certain rap songs can interest me if the lyrics aren't shit. But it's rather off-putting when the songs are about "getting bitches."

But anyways, I like more than just dubstep. Dubstep is one musical form that I enjoy (and I won't lie, I really got into it when I was a raver doing ecstasy and going to parties, although I still appreciate it now, after the fact. DON'T DO ECSTASY, KIDS. I HAD A FRIEND DIE FROM IT).

Some of my first rave parties had music from Skrillex, and they were quite memorable. But really, the only talentless hacks in the music industry are those people who have music so terrible that not even a single person can honestly say they enjoy it.

If even one person enjoys the work of an individual, that individual has talent. Just because you don't like someone's music is no excuse to call them a talentless hack.

I enjoy songs with a good beat, and beat is a major part of dubstep.

I am a large fan of the beat as well, I just greatly prefer it to be made with bass guitar and drums. Screeches and blips and wubs find no welcome in my ear canals...

• Brohoof 1

I would also say, that sir.

That is dubstep, believe it or not.

It was hard for me to even compensate that that's the original sound of when it started, but it was there so I had to accept that.

Also, that's not even close to the chill-dubstep. THIS is what that is.

Now compare that to the other song Soundgarden put in.

Now when were talking about this, I'd like to apologize as well for making these debates heated and for being obnoxious at times :P

If you don't want to call this kind of music Brostep, I'm okay with that (I guess :P), just as long as you understand where it's roots comes from. Thanks for being reasonable :D

• Brohoof 1

Now when were talking about this, I'd like to apologize as well for making these debates heated and for being obnoxious at times tongue.png

If you don't want to call this kind of music Brostep, I'm okay with that (I guess tongue.png), just as long as you understand where it's roots comes from. Thanks for being reasonable biggrin.png

Yup, and im sorry about that too. Letting it get carried away like that in a forum game is quite odd :L

Typically when I mean I don't want to believe in brostep, I mean to the dubstep artists excluding Skrillex. Since the majority of the people call his work 'brostep', then I wouldn't know what his genre would be suited in.

Odd huh..

@, @@Soundgarden,

Dubstep is a mix of 90's underground electronic sounds, shaped by genres such as DnB, garage and reggae sounds of dub. It can be identified by sub bass and a very syncopated rhythm. This is what today is called "Original Dubstep".

However, over the past few years, a more mainstream version of Dubstep has become more and more popular. People such as Flux Pavilion, Datsik, Nero and Skrillex makes this "new" verision of dubstep, which has gotten the name "Brostep" to make an even clearer difference between the original dubstep and the new mainstream one.

The songs Skrillex makes do not sound like original dubstep at all. His tracks use mid/higher-range bass sounds and it is built up in a whole different way. Skrillex makes music of the sub-genre "brostep".

But to say Skrillex does not make dubstep is ridiculous. It's like saying Pink Floyd are not making rock music simply because they deviated from the styles of Elvis and other "original" rock artists.

My answer to the question is however, I do not like Skrillex. Why? Because well, I just dislike the music he makes. I'm not hating on him, but I really dislike when people say he's all so great and stuff, just because he is the most famous one of them. There are so many less known artists who make the same type of music, but twice as good.

And when they try to show off their amazing work they are told that they are "Skrillex copies". It bugs me.

So, Skrillex does infact make dubstep. But not the original dubstep many of us like so much more. But calling him very talented seems wrong to me, since a 14 year old kid apparently can make music that sounds just like his work. (Yeah I'm talknig about Omnipony).

Skrillex makes okay music but he's nothing special. When "nothing special" people gets a lot of fame, people hate on it. Just look at Justin Bieber.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Soundgarden's got a point but so do other's in that Dubstep has been one of those genres that's happy to be one big tent to fill them all under FOR THE MOST PART. For every person who says it's ok to call it dubstep still because its now a parent genre there's a few who would rather you don't because it has little in common anymore.  I certainly don't blame people who liked the original sound of DUB and the HALF STEP and wonder why that disappeared from the bashing midranges of american styled Brostep. A lot of the subtlety is gone and a lot of that is the jump across the ocean from a UK scene or an American one and from a black one to a skinny white metal kids liking it. I don't blame Skrillex for this happening but he has been the poster child of those dig the brostep scene and don't bother to see where it all came from or how Dubstep has a lot more variety (chill, wonky, purple, original ukstep) then just loud wubs and gargling noises. Sucks but what do you do?

Edited by Freewave

I don't like Skrillex, either. Not because I'm jumping on a mindless hate bandwagon, but because dubstep (or whatever subgenre of electronica he's actually a part of, according to some o' you purists) is nothing more than a musical joke to me.

Let me explain. Make no mistake that I DO understand why people like it, and this is not to be taken as a criticism of the musical tastes of those who do enjoy it.

But the elitist in me cannot respect electronica artists as actual "musicians" since almost nothing they make contains actual recordings, only prerendered samples and beat loops that are arranged and manipulated with the click of a mouse. I'm sorry, but any way you look at it, even the most trite of poppy soft rock bands have more talent in them than most electronica composers, if for no other reason than the fact that they actually record live acoustics (let alone have the skill to learn how to play an instrument or sing in the first place).

I'm not saying they don't have to go through a grueling mixing and mastering process of their own; that does take some skill, at least...assuming they don't just have a producer do all that for them. But the fact that every beat, every pitch, everything is so perfect and devoid of any human error...well, it removes the distinctly human aspect of the music almost entirely.

And the fact that people like Skrillex go on "tours" is another total joke. What, so he can sit behind a DJ station and occasionally throw a hand gesture of minimal acknowledgement to a fan? Motherbucker, REAL performers talk to their audiences, toss 'em beers, get them pumped up, high-five fans, throw picks and drumsticks and miscellaneous merch out into the crowd.

So, you asked why people hate Skrillex, and got a rant from a hater of all dubstep/brostep/whatever music. But what can ya do but enjoy what you enjoy, right? Isn't the bottom line - the 'low line' if you will - that at the end of the day, who really cares if someone hates what you love? All that matters is you like it. Hell, the fact that we're all on a brony forum means that's a message we can all agree with...