Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What the Hell happened to the brony community?

Commander_PonyShep

113 users have voted

1. 1. Are we bronies becoming tantruming, entitled fanboys?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

So this is what happened when Equestria Girls was first announced and when the trailer came out? I actually made this meme right now. I couldn't save it so thankfully I have clipular.

1sh2it.jpg

• Brohoof 1

So this is what happened when Equestria Girls was first announced and when the trailer came out? I actually made this meme right now. I couldn't save it so thankfully I have clipular.

img-1474472-1-1sh2it.jpg

No you didn't, I saw that on Facebook a couple days ago. please don't claim things are yours when you post them. It just isn't cool to do. 

No you didn't, I saw that on Facebook a couple days ago. please don't claim things are yours when you post them. It just isn't cool to do. 

I am not lying. I made this a few minutes ago, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else made this already with the rising controversy towards Equestria Girls. If someone else made this I didn't know, I searched it up on quick meme and couldn't find this particular one.

181215_584998371531122_944514889_n.jpg

*Looks back and forth at both pictures* Okay, that is just *squee*ing weird. How the hell does that even happen? What in the....

How do two people make almost the same meme?

• Brohoof 1

181215_584998371531122_944514889_n.jpg

*Looks back and forth at both pictures* Okay, that is just *squee*ing weird. How the hell does that even happen? What in the....

How do two people make almost the same meme?

Well out of all of the people in the fandom, at least two people are gonna think of the same thing. I am still gonna take credit as being after the original meme. I am not gonna take credit for being the first one to think of this.

• Brohoof 2

I can guarantee that hurting other people all because you are upset does nothing helpful and can only make things worse. EqG drama is proof of that.

I didn't say it was okay for anyone to go out of their way to hurt people only that I understand why so many people are so angry on the Derpy situation that things like flame wars happen, but I learned the hard way that it of course dosen't solve anything. Despite the unpleasantness with the Derpy situation though my overall experience with the fandom has actually been a very calming experience for me, I often find myself staying calm where there would usually be a good chance I would lose my temper. I used to have a very nasty temper, and though it has improved a great deal even before getting into ponies I still have somewhat of a temper though ponies has helped even more with this.

And I can very stubborn at times and can sometimes be reluctant to admit when I was wrong.I think that is one of the many reasons why Applejack has been my favorite pony since I first started watching, I am basically her on steroids with a heavy mix of Twilight except without the extreme OCD. I just saw the whole Derpy thing as well wrong and once I see something that as Applejack would probably put it "ain't right" it can sometimes unleash my inner monster.

Well out of all of the people in the fandom, at least two people are gonna think of the same thing. I am still gonna take credit as being after the original meme. I am not gonna take credit for being the first one to think of this.

Tell me about it. Right now, I'm one of at least two people I know (including myself) who thought of the idea to make an animated adaptation of an MLP fanfic we both really like, despite neither of us knowing how to animate anything. The only difference is that the other guy is actually serious about doing it. Now we're combining our talentlessness other filmmaking knowhow to make others give a crap our efforts a reality.

Scary what can happen when two such individuals meet.

What one expects to see in this fandom and what one does see in this fandom are two completely different things. Where we hope to see love and tolerance we see hatred to cloppers, where we hope to see love of the show we see complaints and where we all hope to see unity we see fractions and fractures. Our addiction to believing in the fall of our fandom at every negative event no matter how slight creates how our fandom is currently.

I will tell you what happened to the fandom.

Drama Queens, Chillaxed Peeps, Fanatics, Artists. Long ago, these four types of bronies lived in harmony. Then everything changed when Equestria Girls was announced...only everybody calming their shit, a feat of common sense, could stop them. But when we needed common sense most, it vanished. 

• Brohoof 8

I didn't say it was okay for anyone to go out of their way to hurt people

Sorry, I did not mean for that "you" to be directed at you or anyone in particular. Most of the time when I say "you" in scenarios like that, I do mean a general you, not a specific person. I should remember to make that clearer.

(edited)

After thinking about it a little, we really need to just quit giving these people so much attention. Just rant a little, let them know we're dispointed in them, then move on and let them stew in it until they cool down. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

This may sound pretty stupid, but I feel like there are some Brony Radicals, who have forgotten what the Brony community is all about. And they're just hellbent on letting us all know how stupid EqG is, or how much Twilicorn is a disgrace to the show.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 1

Walk in expecting a small flame war, come to see organized discussion about positive improvement about the negativity.

Oh wait. This is Sugarcube, not the actual Equestria Girls section </3 Silly me.

Size, entitlement, fast growth; everything is a factor to the fact that the portion of bronies who make up the drama queens of our fandom are becoming louder and louder. As far as they go, I don't give a fuck. In the end you can ignore them. I just hope all this negativity doesn't truly drive out anyone from the show, like what's been mentioned in reaction to the fanbase's retarded reaction to the trailer. It discourages quite a few of them.

• Brohoof 1

I just hope all this negativity doesn't truly drive out anyone from the show,

Judging by a lot of comments I have seen over the last week or so that are basically in a nutshell "people are doing stupid things and there are controversies everypony panic the fandom is dying" that unfortunately seems to be the case with far more people than it should be. Part of it is because there are a lot of young people that don't have a lot of experience with fandoms and are a bit naive, part of it is the white knights who believe that anyone who disagrees with them is the spawn of satan and most importantly because people seem to put the fandom on sort of pedestal and expect everything to be perfect at all times. It is like expecting steak and lobster for dinner every night and getting indignant over only getting it once a week.

This is the most civil fandom I have ever been involved in and yet all I have heard over this last week or so has been about how people are so dissapointed in the fandom because of the actions of a few knuckleheads. I have been a Star Wars fan for 15 years and though George Lucas has made some stupid decisions and there are quite a few fans that I think should be slapped I am way too busy focusing on what is going right with Star Wars to let that affect me. And I have been a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan for 21 years and there are jackasses there too but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still even after all these years my favorite show of all time.

• Brohoof 2

Judging by a lot of comments I have seen over the last week or so that are basically in a nutshell "people are doing stupid things and there are controversies everypony panic the fandom is dying" that unfortunately seems to be the case with far more people than it should be. Part of it is because there are a lot of young people that don't have a lot of experience with fandoms and are a bit naive, part of it is the white knights who believe that anyone who disagrees with them is the spawn of satan and most importantly because people seem to put the fandom on sort of pedestal and expect everything to be perfect at all times. It is like expecting steak and lobster for dinner every night and getting indignant over only getting it once a week.

This is the most civil fandom I have ever been involved in and yet all I have heard over this last week or so has been about how people are so dissapointed in the fandom because of the actions of a few knuckleheads. I have been a Star Wars fan for 15 years and though George Lucas has made some stupid decisions and there are quite a few fans that I think should be slapped I am way too busy focusing on what is going right with Star Wars to let that affect me. And I have been a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan for 21 years and there are jackasses there too but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still even after all these years my favorite show of all time.

I'm talking about the show staff; the voice actors and writers, not random joes in the fanbase. We're on the same page, yes? It's not easy to tell from your post xD

• Brohoof 1

I'm talking about the show staff; the voice actors and writers, not random joes in the fanbase. We're on the same page, yes? It's not easy to tell from your post xD

According to a tweet from Megan, everything is fine now. I think that part may have gotten exaggerated a little bit somewhere down the line, and Larson seems to be in a good mood as well.  

According to a tweet from Megan, everything is fine now. I think that part may have gotten exaggerated a little bit somewhere down the line, and Larson seems to be in a good mood as well.  

Oh, I know that a lot of the more internet-savy ones like Tara, Megan and Larson can scoff it off and go 'Oh, you~' when we have our drama hissy fits, but I wasn't sure who this was all referring to exactly; for all we know, some of the newer writers or some of the other VA's who don't use Twitter and other sites online much, who don't interact with the fanbase much, could be getting incredibly discouraged. Just wasn't sure.

• Brohoof 1

When groups get bigger, the bigger chance the group will have more indecent people compared to small groups. While they give us a bad name, we should just simply ignore them or tell them to chill.

Tvtropes actually has a name for this, if I may, it's called "The Law of Fandom Jackassery", and it boils to down to:

When a fandom is not big enough to damper the effects of people jerks, nor small enough to alienate them, things turn really ugly. 

I'm talking about the show staff; the voice actors and writers, not random joes in the fanbase. We're on the same page, yes?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about people who leave the fandom or stop watching the show because of the negativity. I am just saying I am getting a little tired of people saying they are going to leave and talking about how they are ashamed of the fandom because of a few idiots. I would be a bit more understanding though as to why some of the show staff might want to leave, they have a lot of pressure from both Hasbro and the fans and I can see how that pressure can really get to someone. Hasbro has made some stupid decisions like twilicorn and the writers have to implement them whether they like it or not, so yes I agree I hope nobody from the show staff leaves over any of this.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

if you really think the MLP fandom is this bad than you haven't seen the kind of stuff the Star Wars and Sonic fandoms complain about.

They can't be as bad as the Silent Hill fandom.

Anyway, I think the fans that get way over the top angry are worth worrying over and discussing.  I do focus on the good most of the time, I really do, just like I do with the show itself.  But the idea that people involved in the series could leave over this... I feel sorry for them.  And for us.

Edited by Dr. Eggnog

Theres this saying that goes around a lot and I think it fits perfectly there, The vocal minority are always the loudest.

Sure we see a lot of hate about this equestria girls, but for the most part, Id say that a lot of bronies are actually pretty mild about it.

I for one was not thrilled with the idea, but even though I'm skeptical, I'm sitll going to watch the movie with an open mind, just like when I started watching MLP wink.png

All the bronies/pegasisters, I know seem to have the same mindset too, so I personally dont see this "major" reaction to the movie as a big deal, its just dramatic bronies being dramatic xD

This will pass just like the wedding and princess twilight drama and soon we will all be too obsessed with the new season to even remember this little spinoff deal derpy_emoticon2.png

(edited)

Right after the initial shock wore off, I saw tons of bronies calling the more radical voices out to calm down. I don't think 'the fandom' has changed to much. People need to understand, even if EG flops, EG is great for the community as a whole.

In one scenario, let us say that EG does really well, not only in numbers, but actually turns out to be pretty good:

We have a brand new show to watch, and a whole new cannon to work with.

Now, let's assume the worst, and EG is terrible in every possible way:

We still win, little girls actually eat up this highschool drama crap, and for Hasbro, that is a whole new stream of revenue. Hasbro gets to line their pockets, and dump all of their terrible ideas on EG. This means that the pressure will ease up on the MLP staff, and let them explore more consistent, and adult friendly ideas.

We are still a loving and charitable community on the whole. During my time on these forums, YouTube, and most other social networks. The main portion of bronies I have met, are pretty cool and relaxed. Not to mention, we raise tons of money for sick kids. Personally, I would not be where I am without these awesome people.

I think we are just witnessing a typical overreaction to change. People that send death threats, will always do so. They are inclined to whether they are a fan of MLP or not. There is no 'metal detector' at the doors of bronydom. We just need to keep going the course, and show our love.

- EmCee DB Out

Actually, that's not how it will necessarily work at all:

1. The movie could flop anyway, and that could kill any future chances for an FiM movie. I doubt it will happen like that, but that's a possibility. Also, little girls are NOT eating this up from what I've heard. They want their ponies too. 

2. They could actually start tying EQG in with the show, or if it's successful, start putting FiM on the back burner.

I'm not saying that's what will happen, but you need to be aware of all possible outcomes. That's what being open-minded is about, blindly accepting EQG is not being open-minded. Expecting only good will come from it is just as close-minded as expecting only bad to come from it. 

Considering the backlash EQG has had against it, considering this thread even exists, I'm pretty sure EQG has not had a net good impact on the fandom. 

Theres this saying that goes around a lot and I think it fits perfectly there, The vocal minority are always the loudest.

Sure we see a lot of hate about this equestria girls, but for the most part, Id say that a lot of bronies are actually pretty mild about it.

I for one was not thrilled with the idea, but even though I'm skeptical, I'm sitll going to watch the movie with an open mind, just like when I started watching MLP wink.png

All the bronies/pegasisters, I know seem to have the same mindset too, so I personally dont see this "major" reaction to the movie as a big deal, its just dramatic bronies being dramatic xD

This will pass just like the wedding and princess twilight drama and soon we will all be too obsessed with the new season to even remember this little spinoff deal derpy_emoticon2.png

I advise that if you are going to watch the movie, don't spend any money on it until after you have some information on it's quality, either from reviews, or from actually seeing it from another source. Supporting a bad effort is that last thing we want to do. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1