Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was Luna initially banished instead of reformed?

Anadu Kune

If Celestia freed Luna, she would have tried to defeat Celestia then plunge Equestria into an eternal night forever. So, she had to banish Luna inside of the moon and it kept her occupied for 1000 years of course.

What OP means is why didn't Her Highness harmonized Luna right avay like Mane Six did?

And I can just repeat myself on this: Her Highness failed.

Edited by Declen

As others have said, they probably used 3 elements each originally, so Celestia trying to work all 6 was a feat in itself. Especially since she probably wasn't in a very harmonious state of mind, with her only immortal companion being potentially gone forever. She might not have known Luna could ever be saved, but chose permanent banishment over outright killing. Or maybe she didn't even know what effect the elements would have, since it seems to be pretty variable when the mane 6 use them.

Or you could go with my time loop story idea, where present day Twilight time travels back to that night, wields 3 of the elements and they banish NMM, and Twilight makes the 1000th year prophecy before going back to the future.

I think we'll be finding out for sure what happened in the S4 opener.

Wasn't this already answered in the season 2 opener? The reason why she couldn't restore Luna immediately is because she couldn't wield the full power of the Elements at the time. She was missing the Magic of Friendship at the time, I presume.

Only with the full power of the EoH can one restore or redeem (or seal), and that's exactly what the Mane Six did.

It'd help if, you know, actually watch the episodes to know the answer. No offense. =/

I know what happened canon-wise ._______. AND i watch it. Its hard to find exact answers though lol and i'm kind of just asking for headcanons....

I was just curious why Celestia wouldn't turn luna back instead, but it makes sense now because she still would've been angry...

I love the show mind you, i just like to look at it the way Bronycurious does xD.

Actually, I'm not sure if Celestia directly used the Elements for banishment. NMM was so powerful that Celestia couldn't even raise the sun to overwhelm the night. This is probably because each sister had 3 Elements.

I'm guessing Celestia found a way to separate herself and her sister from embodying the Elements. Then, being the older and more powerful Alicorn, she could finally seal away NMM with her own magic. If Luna could only be freed by the Elements, this would explain why it took 1000 years to do so; nopony had any control over them!

Edited by Double Jump

When you think about it, Lunas sentence wasn't originally that long.. She just made a mistake. I personally can see where Celestia was PO-ed, but 1000 years? really?attachicon.gifpost-124-0-93184000-1318651334_thumb.jpg

I saw this photo a while ago and couldn't stop laughing for five solid minutes. Loved it so much.

Wasn't this already answered in the season 2 opener? The reason why she couldn't restore Luna immediately is because she couldn't wield the full power of the Elements at the time. She was missing the Magic of Friendship at the time, I presume.

Only with the full power of the EoH can one restore or redeem (or seal), and that's exactly what the Mane Six did.

It'd help if, you know, actually watch the episodes to know the answer. No offense. =/

Although you're right, some people don't remember everything from the show, but it's good that you remembered it!

Why did Celestia banish Luna to the moon for 1000 years when the Mane 6 got rid of her dark powers right away?

What did the Mane 6 use to eliminate Nightmare Moon's dark powers? The Elements of Harmony.

What did Celestia and Luna lose when Luna became corrupted? The Elements of Harmony.

It's really quite simple...Explained in the relevant episodes, even. XD

I saw this photo a while ago and couldn't stop laughing for five solid minutes. Loved it so much.

Although you're right, some people don't remember everything from the show, but it's good that you remembered it!

It's always best that you stick by what the show explicitly tells you upfront, especially when you're trying to write a fanfic and trying to stay accurate. If its something that isn't stated and unclear, then you can make up your own headcanon.

What did the Mane 6 use to eliminate Nightmare Moon's dark powers? The Elements of Harmony. What did Celestia and Luna lose when Luna became corrupted? The Elements of Harmony. It's really quite simple...Explained in the relevant episodes, even. XD

You make a really good point, but I'd argue that it wasn't the transformation from Luna to NNM that made the sisters lose control over the Elements.

I read the MLP FIM comic series. In the second series of 4 books, the Darkness that converted Luna makes an appearance. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that if it was the Darkness that separated the sisters from the Elements, then the story wouldn't make sense. Read it and find out what I mean! It's a great comic!

Edited by Double Jump

I think the question is how Celestia even banished Luna to the moon in the first place.

Magic. There's this show called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. If you watch it, you learn the answers to these very obvious questions. :P

Well many have pointed out in the past that Celestia and Luna shared the Elements of harmony between them. How that exactly worked we cant be sure. However it raises the possibility that without Luna the Elements could not be used with their full potency. So Celestia couldn't rid Luna of the evil shroud she allowed to control her only seal it away somewhere. So Celestia had to wait for another pony that could embrace the elements of harmony and at last reunite her with her sister. 

Well many have pointed out in the past that Celestia and Luna shared the Elements of harmony between them. How that exactly worked we cant be sure. However it raises the possibility that without Luna the Elements could not be used with their full potency. So Celestia couldn't rid Luna of the evil shroud she allowed to control her only seal it away somewhere. So Celestia had to wait for another pony that could embrace the elements of harmony and at last reunite her with her sister.

That makes a lot of sense considering that if without the Magic element for the Mane 6, nothing would work. Just like w/o Luna, most of the elements wouldn't work. I like to also believe they both shared the element of magic. When Luna transformed however, Celestia only had magic and two others, so she couldnt purge Luna (kinda like you said) of her dark powers and only banish her. So Celestia waited until she maybe saw in the stars that NMM was coming/figured a way to escape which was ofc 1000 years later. She also maybe set up the whole unicorn school to find someone worthy of the magic element and 5 others who could wield the elements when she no longer could...

I think she's no longer connected since after she banished Luna....

Or it could just be that getting rid of Lunas darkness immediately wouldnt have solved the problem and Luna would have been angry all the time...

Edited by Mylittlealicorn

There is a big hole in your argumentation. Celestia banished Luna or NMM in the moon? Ok, that isn't important, but what is important is that Celestia had to use all six elements of harmony against Luna/NMM herself! Well because at that time both sisters were opponents/enemies for themselves. Luna/NMM wouldn't allow/help to use such a weapon against herself. So arguing that Celestia couldn't use EoH to free Luna beacuse she could control only 3 of them is invalid!
The better explanation could be that using all of EoH alone is very exhausting and probably causing to permament (or very long) lost bonding with them. That's why she had to wait for mane 6, who could activate them again.

Edited by spacestorm

There is a big hole in your argumentation. Celestia banished Luna or NMM in the moon? Ok, that isn't important, but what is important is that Celestia had to use all six elements of harmony against Luna/NMM herself! Well because at that time both sisters were opponents/enemies for themselves. Luna/NMM wouldn't allow/help to use such a weapon against herself. So arguing that Celestia couldn't use EoH to free Luna beacuse she could control only 3 of them is invalid!

The better explanation could be that using all of EoH alone is very exhausting and probably causing to permament (or very long) lost bonding with them. That's why she had to wait for mane 6, who could activate them again.

Honestly, I think what I said is better. It is true that she used all six of them against her, but my theory here for the limited power output is she didn't have the Magic of Friendship backing her up. So not only did this resulted in a limited power output, but this also caused her and Luna to lose connection to the Elements. Not necessarily the thing that using all of the EoH at once exhausts the user. I really don't think a pony can be exhausted by using all of them at once, unless its somepony who is weak-willed.

That's my theory at least, and the explanation I'm using in a certain fic of mine... *coughcoughsuperrainbowdashcoughcough*

What i meant was that before all this the sisters may have controlled 3 elements each. Then Luna becomes nmm... And Celestia didnt have control over enough elements to change her back and resorted to banishment. But i see how that can be a problem....

If you elaborate, i wont mind:). I also honestly and firmly believe that IF each sister knew how to control all 6 elements, then lost the connection, it was because Celestia used them against her sister and after banishing, couldn't use them/there was no harmony between them anymore.

Or like you said it could be because using them as one pony would be tiring and they don't feel connected anymore...

And maybe, because Celestia was the only one using the elements vs NMM, that using all 6 as one pony can't free Luna but can only do other things...

But the harmony was lost before she banished Luna in the moon.

It is true that she used all six of them against her, but my theory here for the limited power output is she didn't have the Magic of Friendship backing her up. So not only did this resulted in a limited power output, but this also caused her and Luna to lose connection to the Elements.

Yes. The sisters were against themselves, the siblings love/friendship was already weakened. When Luna was corrupted/possesed by NMM her feelings toward Celestia were suppressed, Celestia could use them because she didn't lost her feelings that way. Elements need friendship bounding to work, so she could use them only once and without their full potential/power, because their friendship was like bonfire dying down fueled only by Celestia.

I also made a mistake in my argumentation. EoH don't work thanks to a common magic, so power of magic doesn't affect their effectivnes, so no matter how strong Celestia is in magic, she can't use elements without friendship. She was exhausted in meaning of losing control over them until bonding was lost ultimately.

Edited by spacestorm

But the harmony was lost before she banished Luna in the moon.

Yes. The sisters were against themselves, the siblings love/friendship was already weakened. When Luna was corrupted/possesed by NMM her feelings toward Celestia were suppressed, Celestia could use them because she didn't lost her feelings that way. Elements need friendship bounding to work, so she could use them only once and without their full potential/power, because their friendship was like bonfire dying down fueled only by Celestia.

I also made a mistake in my argumentation. EoH don't work thanks to a common magic, so power of magic doesn't affect their effectivnes, so no matter how strong Celestia is in magic, she can't use elements without friendship. She was exhausted in meaning of losing control over them until bonding was lost ultimately.

It all makes sense now!

Lke you said:

Luna and Celestias relationship would be weak since lunas jealosy was building...

Then, when Luna turns into nmm, the bond is at its lowest point.

Nmm didn't care about Celestia (didnt love her... Etc)

BUT Celestia still cared for her, however, the weakened bond between the two led to Celestia ultimately using the elements on nmm In a harsh way. AND- she couldnt have (like you said) used the full power to purge Luna of nmm as she represented only 1 of 2 element wielders. Additionally their friendship was also about to blow out)

And so instead, Celestias weakened, single use of the elements resorted her to banishing until 5 ponies could someday have a strong enough friendship to purge her sister of nmm...

Am i on par?

I think it was probably more of an emotional thing. it was her sister after all, and those bonds are hard to break. so when Luna did screw things up Celestia was depressed and overreacted. and she felt she shouldn't just let her go right after she banished her. besides 1000 years isn't all that much to them if they still look young now XD

First of all she never had the exact intention to let Luna off of the moon in the first place. Luna let the nightmare get into her head and pretty much threatened to plunge Equestria into Eternal Darkness (Which could be interpreted as banishing/killing Celestia) 

Of-course she's going to blast her sister away to the moon with that kind of threat that she has and leave her there. Sure it might be sad and she might regret doing it, but it was for the greater good.

My line of thought wasn't so much that they each held 3 specific elements but that they both could use all of them. However the total power was shared between the two. It is pretty much an established canonical fact that they shared the elements in some way as it was stated by Celestia that they discovered and used the elements together against discord. So I would assume something like that would have to be the case. 

@@Mylittlealicorn,

More or less just as I think, except that I think that each of them can represent any element of harmony or all at once like @@Anadu Kune said.
Perhaps there was some way to free her sister instead of banishing her in the moon, but due to conditions stated by me, the time played an important role here. I think that things already gone so bad that she had no time to find better solution.

But of course this is just my theory. How it really was I hope we will find out in season 4.

Have you noticed that right after release Luna looks different (younger and she doesn't have the ethereal mane)?
This may indicate that she not only lost her connection with the EoH but also with the moon, even though she was sent in it she no longer represent its power. Only the sisters have ethereal manes because only they represent the celestial bodies.

@spacestorm

Stupid question....

Also, if Celestia and Lunas relationship was weakened, thus weakening the elements, how could she have raised the moon after her sisters banishment?

Does the eoh even have anything to do with that? (Probably not since its bc of their cutie mark...)

Do you think Luna could raise the sun and her moon then?

Maybe they both have the power to raise the sun and moon, but they make the day or night more beautiful than the other depending on their cutie mark... (Ex. Celestia made a more beautiful day than night bc of her cutie mark...)

Not sure where i am going with this...