DITR

OK I got the big one.

Lauren Faust is not a freaking god.

I mean, I respect her for the things she did bring us, and the world and characters she brought. But that doesn't mean you're a good writer. She seems to be a better show runner than she is a writer. The episodes she did write had a main problem of lacking subtly and having some of the most cheesiest dialogue I have ever seen.

Also, season 1 is not best season. It may be to some people but not to me. It didn't feel it got really good until about 7 episodes in. It also kind of had to ease in to the good writing seeing as how the show was just establishing itself. After they established everything, then the show got really good and the other seasons were built on top of each other.

Eh, I don't think that's all that big, unless there's a side to this I haven't seen. To me and most of the fans I've come across, Friendship is Magic is one of the better 2-parters and Ticket Master is fine, but nobody put up much of a fight when I pointed out flaws in either of them. While her "power of friendship" speeches were miles better than the same kind of speeches from Yugioh, they could still be pretty gushy. I did like season 2 a little better than season 1 myself, and I think season 3 being such a step down was more a case of the team just blowing it than the show being lost without her.

I never understood why Season 1 was placed in such a high regard by some people, even calling it the best season of the show. Don't get me wrong, it was still better then S3 and has some very great episodes like Winter Wrap Up, Cutie Mark Cronicles and Party of one, but i felt that it was a very experimental season. They used this season to establish alot of the characters first, before moving on to bigger things, which we have seen in S2 and S4 (and a bit in S3)

That's why i think S4 is my favorite season, because it takes big risks and i love that. I would rather have a show that takes big risks and have a few bad episodes, then having a show that plays it safe and has just okay episodes. Episodes like Pinkie Pride, Maud Pie, For whom the Sweetie Belle tolls, testing, testing, 1,2,3 are all pony classics for me.

I guess this is the other side of the story to what I just finished saying, but I do think there were many perks to being the "experimental" phase, with a certain sense of enthusiasm and genuineness. The reworked songs from famous musicals, the Benny Hill references, and the animation gags like Twilight bursting into flames were all genuinely enjoyable touches that just don't happen anymore. And on the flip side, I thought the first half of season 4 spent a lot of time working its way back up, with a lot of forced episodes more interested in the scenarios it could put the gang in than in how it could explore them. (And I'm not even talking about Rainbow Falls, which I actually liked in spite of its sloppiness.)

This probably doesn't count as "regarding the show," but I dislike Friendship is Witchcraft. In fact, I'd rather watch Boast Busters (my least favorite episode of all time), Spike at Your Service, Sonic Rainboom, Baby Cakes, One Bad Apple.. I could go on than half an episode of Friendship is Witchcraft. The only thing good that's ever came from that crap is the song Pinkie's Brew.

Otherwise, I feel the abridged series has the same, giant glaring issues that shows like Johnny Test, CatDog and S4+ Family Guy have - The humor is way too meanspirited and everyone is an overall a-hole. Plus, another thing it has in common with Johnny Test is, well, the "Wah wah wah" trumpet in FiW is as overused as the "whipping" sound effect in Johnny Test.

There's way more I can go over.. but I'm considering writing about it all in my blog :P

Edited by Miles Tails Prower

In terms of MLP writing, Lauren Faust is on-par with Merriwhether Williams.

Oh yeah, I freaking said it.

You're underselling Williams, who is one of the most talented writers who has ever written for the show and the person who I've been saddest to see leave it (My unpopular opinion :squee:). Mare Do Well, Wonderbolts Academy, Bats!, and Putting Your Hoof Down are all some of my favorite episodes.

Also Season 3 was pretty good, although I can see how people who don't like RD and Applejack as much as I do might feel otherwise.

• Brohoof 2

You're underselling Williams, who is one of the most talented writers who has ever written for the show and the person who I've been saddest to see leave it (My unpopular opinion :squee:). Mare Do Well, Wonderbolts Academy, Bats!, and Putting Your Hoof Down are all some of my favorite episodes.

Also Season 3 was pretty good, although I can see how people who don't like RD and Applejack as much as I do might feel otherwise.

Here's how the fandoms' response to Bats was.

"Oh yay, the episode's written by Meghan Mcarthey! This episode is awesome in every way!"

*sees it was a mistake and was actually written by Williams*'

"SCREW THIS EPISODE! YOU'VE FAILED AGAIN WILLIAMS! EVERYTHING ABOUT IT SUCKS! I'M THE BEST CRITIC EVER! MY CRITIQUES ON THE SHOW ARE FACT!"

You get the picture.

• Brohoof 3

I'm seeing a lot of opinions about hating characters. I don't hate any character. I like them all. I just think Sombra is pretty boring. His design is awesome, but he doesn't have a personality other than GRAHH RULE THE WORLD BLARG. i don't really like the song in the season 4 finale where Twilight sung with the other 3 alicorn princesses. The singing was nice, but the lyrics sucked.

Edited by MechanicalDoom

Here's how the fandoms' response to Bats was.

"Oh yay, the episode's written by Meghan Mcarthey! This episode is awesome in every way!"

*sees it was a mistake and was actually written by Williams*'

"SCREW THIS EPISODE! YOU'VE FAILED AGAIN WILLIAMS! EVERYTHING ABOUT IT SUCKS! I'M THE BEST CRITIC EVER! MY CRITIQUES ON THE SHOW ARE FACT!"

You get the picture.

I remember the reception being mostly positive :huh:, although it wouldn't have surprised me if a few of her dislikers came out about it. I mostly remember going "This explains EVERYTHING :blink::o " afterwards, because it definitely felt like a Williams episode when I watched it, regardless of which name was in the credits.

And to keep us from going off course, I'll share that my least favorite part of the episode was Flutters becoming the bat in the first place.  The episode was leading into a pretty interesting conflict, and I really liked the idea of Fluttershy butting heads with AJ on something they both felt passionately about. And then Fluttershy was a bat, and then she was right all along :maud:. Though some nifty fanart came out of the deal, at least.

• Brohoof 1

I will say Williams was actually pretty mixed in MLP, but not as bad. Sure there was stuff like Putting Your Hoof Down (sorry :P), Dragon Quest and Spike at Your Service, but she also did good on Bats!, Hearth's Warming Eve and Wonderbolts Academy. So I don't disagree with you too much. I'd much rather have her write a ton of episodes than.. ugh, Corey Powell..

Plus, she wrote some of the best Spongebob episodes by far.

Edited by Miles Tails Prower

And to keep us from going off course, I'll share that my least favorite part of the episode was Flutters becoming the bat in the first place. The episode was leading into a pretty interesting conflict, and I really liked the idea of Fluttershy butting heads with AJ on something they both felt passionately about. And then Fluttershy was a bat, and then she was right all along :maud:.

Here here. It was an interesting experiment in taking the show to a weirder place than usual, but I can't help but feel we lost out on a good showcase for AJ and Flutters interacting, which we rarely get.

Staying on track, I've never really taken to Zecora. I don't hate her or anything, and I see her appeal, but she never came off as a fully-formed character to me. Just a convenient plot device that shows up when we need something explained/a magical solution to a problem/magic time travel milk.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 3

Here here. It was an interesting experiment in taking the show to a weirder place than usual, but I can't help but feel we lost out on a good showcase for AJ and Flutters interacting, which we rarely get.

Staying on track, I've never really taken to Zecora. I don't hate her or anything, and I see her appeal, but she never came off as a fully-formed character to me. Just a convenient plot device that shows up when we need something explained/a magical solution to a problem/magic time travel milk.

She used to have potential. She used to be knowledgeable and quirky, but at the same time say things like "You're doomed" about the parasprites. Nowadays she knows literally everything, comes out of nowhere to move the plot forward, and brags about knowing more about magic than Twilight.

- i hate pinkie pie with all my heart

- i loved how the changelings almost killed celestia

- i prefer applejack over fluttershy

pinkie is fun when you are in the mood for her

and the changelings destroyed her :D

ALSO I AGREE! applejack is THE most underated pony

-It took me half of the first season to become a brony

-I didn't hate Mare Do Well

-I found the Crystal Empire extremely disappointing

-I prefer Celestia over Luna

-I hate Just for SIdekicks with a passion

what was even with the crystal ponies?

The baby ponies creep me out.

I don't like Alicorn Twilight.

Lightning Dust is the best antagonist except for possibly Discord.

Rainbow Dash is possibly the most complex character out of the Mane Six, and has developed about as much as Twilight Sparkle has.

I liked Apple Family Reunion and Applejack is one of the most interesting characters in the show.

I think there are several characters who are cuter than Fluttershy. flutters is meh

baby ponies are just odd but then so are human babies lol i agree with the RD statement she's so deepm really :3

This is more in regards to the fandom.

I don't believe in the love and tolerance slogan of the fandom.

I mean, i don't really need the fandom to explain me that, because i learned that since i grew up.

I also hate it, when people say that i have to follow certain guidelines to be a brony. No, i don't have to. I am here because i like a show about pastel colored ponies, not because i am part of a cult.

• Brohoof 1

The storytelling for Friendship is Magic isn't that impressive most of the time. I mean It has some of the best characters and songs I've ever seen but not the best storytelling. I mean it's good but I've seen more impressive storytelling in a lot of other cartoons like Adventure Time and Gravity Falls but I think it has the best storytelling of all Hasbro shows. (I thought Transformers has really weak storytelling)

Edited by TheJLeeTeam
  • Brohoof 1

The storytelling for Friendship is Magic isn't that impressive most of the time. I mean It has some of the best characters and songs I've ever seen but not the best storytelling. I mean it's good but I've seen more impressive storytelling in a lot of other cartoons like Adventure Time and Gravity Falls but I think it has the best storytelling of all Hasbro shows. (I thought Transformers has really weak storytelling)

This.

I mean, i don't watch that many cartoons nowadays, but i watch Gravity Falls and i agree with you on the storytelling part. But i still like MLP better, because it's the characters that i really fell in love with and the songs are of course also good.

My opinion might be a bit bias, considering that people think that Gravity Falls is all around better, but then again, it's all very subjective and also a matter of personal taste.

In Putting Your Hoof Down when Angel Bunny abused Fluttershy, I was actually angrier with Fluttershy than Angel Bunny. It was evident that Fluttershy spoiled her little rabbit friend to obscene levels. She's the reason why Angel can be such a brat. If she found slapping someone in the face and throwing him/her out of his/her own home acceptable, then is it really a surprise to see Fluttershy be so violent against the Ponyville townspeople?

Edited by Lyra's Pants

This.

I mean, i don't watch that many cartoons nowadays, but i watch Gravity Falls and i agree with you on the storytelling part. But i still like MLP better, because it's the characters that i really fell in love with and the songs are of course also good.

My opinion might be a bit bias, considering that people think that Gravity Falls is all around better, but then again, it's all very subjective and also a matter of personal taste.

As of right now, GF is probably better. But it doesn't have the kind of impact that FIM does.

I totally agree with you all. :)

At some point I was wondering which show was the best: Gravity Falls or MLP:FiM.

I also think MLP:FiM stories could be better, but the characters and the songs were compensating for them (and by far), thus I prefer MLP:FiM to Gravity Falls.

But I hope they'll write better stories in the future (the only episodes with a great story are the season premieres/finales...)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

I couldn't give less of a damn about Derpy Hooves.

I don't love her, but i don't hate her either, i feel nothing for her.

If she was replaced by a cardboard cutout, i couldn't care less.

i-regret-nothing-vi1i48.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Considering what I've read in the "Who's worst, Gilda, Trixie and Diamond Tiara?" thread..

Gilda is one of my favorite antagonists in FiM. In fact, I'd actually say she's probably my favorite next to Trixie and Discord. Like I've said, I've always felt she had potential to come back, and there was just something.. like another side of her character to her.

pls dont h8 me pls SPARE ME

Also, many of the fandom's jokes have really been run into the ground way too much, and some aren't even that funny, i.e. the mustache joke from Spike at Your Service.