Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Music of MLP

Symph

I was gonna post it in general discussion but it's separated into seasons and this is about the show in general.  I was just going to see if anyone else thinks like I do. I'm amazed by the musical aspect of the show.  Because for one, they hit so many different genres, sometimes they add an almost pop/modern flare to the songs, sometimes it's like show tunes, sometimes it's like big ballads, sometimes it's sliiightly rock.  But what reeeeally blows me away, is how there is no set amount that they do the music.  What I mean is, usually in a kids show, you have a show that always opens with a song.  Or always closes with a song.  The songs usually have a similar feel etc.  

But MLP does it so tastefully by an episode by episode basis.  You have 4 or 5 episodes go by with no music at all, and then all of a sudden there's an episode with tons of songs in it!  It keeps the show interesting and helps add to the rewatchability of it all.  I just think that's so neat, I got inspired to make this post when I was watching ep 13 of season 3 like "good lord this episode's practically a musical!

• Brohoof 2

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

ep 13 of season 3 like "good lord this episode's practically a musical!
That was actually the intention. happy.png

The  music is the main reason I got into the show in the first place.  Everything else came after.  Usually kids tv shows that have songs in them are very low quality and have little to no actual meaning in the long run, as in you can't listen to them again and again.  (replay value I guess)  With the quality of music coming out of the show, I actually don't feel bad at all listening to the songs over and over again.  Daniel Ingram is a genius when it comes to catchy songs that one can listen to again and again.  The background music is also awesome.  

• Brohoof 1

Oh yes, the songs are fantastic! And I like that they have their own qualities that can allow them to stand as music on their own. In a lot of kids show, like you said, the music is predictable, and is just kind of a cheap way to further the message or exposition without really adding anything too unique. The music in this show IS, again as you said, like a musical, because while it does effectively move the plot or convey the message like it should, the songs are catchy, fun, and well-done enough to be listenable to on their own. In addition to enriching the episode, they're just as fun to listen to on your MP3 by themselves. It adds a whole new layer to the show and further goes to show how much real effort and passion they put into it.

• Brohoof 1

This is exactly the reason I cannot stand the music director anymore, Daniel Ingram I think. He makes everything so catchy and hard to get out of your head. I don't know if you saw it but, I saw Equestria Girls and Helping Twilight Win the Crown has been stuck in my head ever since.

• Brohoof 1

I was gonna post it in general discussion but it's separated into seasons and this is about the show in general.

Keep in mind that Show discussion's three episode subforums are just that; subforums. Anything relating to the show can go in Show Discussions' main forum :3

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That was actually the intention. img-1597992-1-happy.png

The  music is the main reason I got into the show in the first place.  Everything else came after.  Usually kids tv shows that have songs in them are very low quality and have little to no actual meaning in the long run, as in you can't listen to them again and again.  (replay value I guess)  With the quality of music coming out of the show, I actually don't feel bad at all listening to the songs over and over again.  Daniel Ingram is a genius when it comes to catchy songs that one can listen to again and again.  The background music is also awesome.  

yes!! It's just mind boggling to me that this show has sooo much to offer.  The only thing I personally feel it lacks is in the humor realm, it rarely actually makes me laugh, but it's so cute it more than makes up for it.  But that music man.... it's crazy how much the lyrics/melodies resonate with me.  And the way they insert it into the shows so unexpectedly it's always like "YAY!! Another song!" hahahaha

Oh yes, the songs are fantastic! And I like that they have their own qualities that can allow them to stand as music on their own. In a lot of kids show, like you said, the music is predictable, and is just kind of a cheap way to further the message or exposition without really adding anything too unique. The music in this show IS, again as you said, like a musical, because while it does effectively move the plot or convey the message like it should, the songs are catchy, fun, and well-done enough to be listenable to on their own. In addition to enriching the episode, they're just as fun to listen to on your MP3 by themselves. It adds a whole new layer to the show and further goes to show how much real effort and passion they put into it.

I should redo some of them on my channel, I haven't delved into brony music too much myself, but I need to.  It's funny to me how all the ponies sound like themselves when they sing except Rarity, she suddenly turns operatic hahahahaha

Keep in mind that Show discussion's three episode subforums are just that; subforums. Anything relating to the show can go in Show Discussions' main forum :3

weird! I looked for a post new topic button outside the subforum but didn't see one... I shall look harder hehehehe

Edit: Note to self, find another way to end posts that isn't hehehehe or hahahahaha

Edited by Symph

The music is probably the most prominent reason I got into this show. As soon as I heard "Giggle at the Ghosties" I knew for a fact this show was going to be awesome. In fact, Steffan Andrews and Daniel Ingram have become two of my heroes that inspire me to write music.

The music is absolutely fantastic, and what I can attribute the fact that I am a brony today to... Also got me more interested in music in general and motivated me to be further involved in music production. 

• 1 month later...