Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you own any guns?

I_wesley125

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."-Thomas Jefferson

Sure, let's outlaw guns and see just how much crime it stops. I'll bet it won't even make a dent.

Edited by CadenceAndCascade
  • Brohoof 1

Guns should be illegal imo. They just make it easier for criminals to get what they need for their crimes.

if guns would be illegal, it would only mean that people who don't have any interest in committing crimes at all would not have access to guns. criminals would still get their guns in one way or another.

not saying that it's an absolute necessity to own a gun, but it would not stop crime rates at all.

Well, since my mother and father own a shooting range, we have many different rifles, including a Walther LG300

Posted Image

And an Anschutz 9003

Posted Image

We also keep many many other guns, in total we have around 20 rifles and 16 shotguns, excluding the many pistols we have. :) We also have a rifle which we call 'the cannon' which is a 40. calibre rifle (unsure what make) which packs a HUGE punch!

I am very into shooting, for I have shot for almost all of my life (since I was 4). So I do try and get the best equipment possible. :)

I don't need firepower when I'm rocking these guns. *Flexes arms and kisses muscles, or lack of thereof*

Offtopic: Nice epic rap battles of history quote :D (if thats what you intended anyway)!

Guns should be illegal imo. They just make it easier for criminals to get what they need for their crimes.

Well, it isn't the guns that kill people, as we say it's the nut behind the butt! (The butt is the back of the rifle). The gun is just a machine. :P Also large guns ARE expensive, but they are VERY fun to shoot, I take shooting as a sport, it's not really a popular sport but I, along with quite a few others really enjoy it! :) If guns were made illegal, the people that do shoot would really suffer.

Home defense?

On top of all these guns:

Posted Image

Although my greatdane is slightly bigger and is slightly stronger in the front legs :P

OOh and I almost forgot these few things (I am not sure if this would come under home defence but it would do the trick :P)

Posted Image

We keep 3 of these,

Posted Image

Atleast 6 longbows,

Posted Image

A survival knife;

And a partridge in a pear tree!

Hah! The funniest thing is, we live in the middle of the countryside in Wales, where everypony is as passive as a beetle!

Sorry for the long post :lol:

Edited by Lanzuis

if guns would be illegal, it would only mean that people who don't have any interest in committing crimes at all would not have access to guns. criminals would still get their guns in one way or another.

not saying that it's an absolute necessity to own a gun, but it would not stop crime rates at all.

I don't know about that...

If guns were illegal, it would be much harder for the average person to get one and so he might not be as prone to violence as if he owned one.

Take the example of some average gun-owner. With such an easy access to guns, there is more chance that he'll be tempted to use his guns than if he didn't have access to one.

I agree that true criminals will still manage to get their hands on guns, but most of these nutbolt people who go into schools and start shooting everyone they see probably wouldn't have done it if they didn't have an easy access to guns.

It's no wonder why the crime rate is much higher in the United States than anywhere else. Everyone walks around with guns! Surely there will be some crazies in the bunch who will start shooting people for no other reason than because they can.

I really hope you get my point. I really don't feel like I've made it sound clear enough! :P

I don't know about that...

If guns were illegal, it would be much harder for the average person to get one and so he might not be as prone to violence as if he owned one.

Take the example of some average gun-owner. With such an easy access to guns, there is more chance that he'll be tempted to use his guns than if he didn't have access to one.

I agree that true criminals will still manage to get their hands on guns, but most of these nutbolt people who go into schools and start shooting everyone they see probably wouldn't have done it if they didn't have an easy access to guns.

It's no wonder why the crime rate is much higher in the United States than anywhere else. Everyone walks around with guns! Surely there will be some crazies in the bunch who will start shooting people for no other reason than because they can.

I really hope you get my point. I really don't feel like I've made it sound clear enough! :P

I can totally understand that! But if they do want to commit a crime it would not be too hard, and then, maybe it will reduce crime, but it would encourage the people who really are wanting to create a crime do it to a larger extent seeming that they had to go through more trouble getting the guns. But as the point I stated before, it isn't the guns that kill people, it's the people that use them! Personally I would not make them illegal, I would enforce more strict rules to gun owning, and make anyone do a series of (very strict) courses of some sort before owning a gun.

Edited by Lanzuis

But as the point I stated before, it isn't the guns that kill people, it's the people that use them! Personally I would not make them illegal, I would enforce more strict rules to gun owning, and make anyone do a series of (very strict) courses of some sort before owning a gun.

Yeah, I think this would be best
  • Brohoof 1

I don't own any guns, but I went shooting once. It was really fun, and I wouldn't mind doing it again. I fired an Olympic style .22 caliber target pistol. Just to brag a bit, everyone was impressed that right from the start I was hitting the target, and after a few tries was getting everything within the "Coke Bottle". While we were at the range, this guy was "sighting in" a 12 gauge shotgun. That was sure loud!

I'm of the opinion that guns should be made illegal myself.

I don't think that they are the best choice for self defence, swords and melee combat are better IMHO.

Hah, US people, do you realize yours is one of the most violent countries? And no wonder why, when guns are flying around everywhere.

All kind of weapons should not exist. Period. I personally never seen a gun in real life, unless it was carried by a soldier or a cop. I would never need one. I mean, even if a buglar came into my house, he probably would be unarmed and would run off at the slight sing of movement (that actually happened to my girlfriend, two guys broke into her house, but ran away before taking anything when they realized they were awake.)

Also, how can you stop pyschos grabbing a gun and killing dozens of people? Something like that has never happened in my country, because nobody has guns.

Sure, some criminals do have guns, but those should be taken away from them simply. Apparently your country thinks that the correct way to defend their citizens is not to fight criminals, but to give guns to people so they can fight criminals. It's just plain stupid

No, and nor do I see the point in owning one either.

And that "home-defense" argument is just silly to me. Sure I don't live in a dangerous neighbourhood like some of you might, but wouldn't a small pistol be enough for self defence? You don't need a freaking automatic assault rifle for that!

And what're you gonna do if someone breaks into your house? Shoot him? You'll just end up in jail...

And besides, large guns are really expensive. They're a fucking waste of money in my opinion.

You wont end up in jail for shooting someone who breaks into your house.

My gun is legal, and how is it wrong to shoot someone who breaks into your house?

You'd be assaulting, possibly murdering someone.

Well I live in England so the majority of guns are illegal to own. I only have an air rifle.

I live in the UK too, although we do train alot of people. xD What is the air rifle?

I'm of the opinion that guns should be made illegal myself.

I don't think that they are the best choice for self defence, swords and melee combat are better IMHO.

Well. actually swords are probably WORSE for they are silent and easily concealed. Making it easier for criminals.

Hah, US people, do you realize yours is one of the most violent countries? And no wonder why, when guns are flying around everywhere.

All kind of weapons should not exist. Period. I personally never seen a gun in real life, unless it was carried by a soldier or a cop. I would never need one. I mean, even if a buglar came into my house, he probably would be unarmed and would run off at the slight sing of movement (that actually happened to my girlfriend, two guys broke into her house, but ran away before taking anything when they realized they were awake.)

Also, how can you stop pyschos grabbing a gun and killing dozens of people? Something like that has never happened in my country, because nobody has guns.

Sure, some criminals do have guns, but those should be taken away from them simply. Apparently your country thinks that the correct way to defend their citizens is not to fight criminals, but to give guns to people so they can fight criminals. It's just plain stupid

Well, we have alot of guns in the United Kingdom yet generally we don't see huge crimes. Again, it isn't the guns that kill people, it's the people themselves! If guns are made illegal then the people who commit the crimes will just find another way. As I stated in my post on the previous page, I don't think guns should be made illegal, but a series of VERY STRICT courses that the person should go through BEFORE getting the gun.

Also that whole statement is based on the fact that guns are solely used for self defence, but I, personally use it as a sport, and I really enjoy it, long-range target shooting is a VERY tough sport as well, it takes years of practice :P

Well that's my theory anyway :P

Offtopic: Sorry, I love a good debate :)

Edited by Lanzuis
  • Brohoof 1

A person who breaks into the house of another when they are at home more than likely has the intent not only to steal what you have, but also to inflict harm on your person, as well as your family. If he didn't have that in mind then he would have waited until the house was empty for the day and struck then. Sure, putting a bullet through someone's skull should only be a last resort, but if that home invader values those material possessions he's trying to steal more than the well-being of the victims of the crime, then why for any reason should I even remotely CONSIDER doing ANYTHING less than defending myself, my home, and my family, even at the cost of the life of another?

Edited by CadenceAndCascade

I live in the UK too, although we do train alot of people. xD What is the air rifle?

Its a gun that fires pellets using compressed air rather than an actual propellant like most firearms. They are legal to own over here without a permit.

And that is terrible, but should you just let them take your stuff?

I am sort of in-between in this 'debate', personally I do think it is ethical to attack back *WITH A WEAPON* if they are armed, on the other hand if they are unarmed, then you should attack back with equal force, if no aggression is shown from the thief and he continues to steal things, then UNARMED attacks could be thrown as a sort of warning. I guess it sort of lies in the middle then :P

As the law stands in the UK,

'You can use reasonable force to defend you and your property'.

Its a gun that fires pellets using compressed air rather than an actual propellant like most firearms. They are legal to own over here without a permit.

I was trying to ask what rifle was it? What is the make? XD Edited by Lanzuis

And that is terrible, but should you just let them take your stuff?

Of course not, but there is no need to severely wound a person.