Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Spike the only dragon with no wings?

H.P.Lovecolt24

Just wanted to post and observation n get others opinions. While its obvious spike has no wings and on the whole that's not unusual plenty of dragons in various mythology have no wings i noticed that Spike is the only dragon depicted in the show with no wings. its not due to his age because we have seen 2 variations of a full grown spike now and neither developed wings as he matured. so my question is is he a completely different species of dragon that hasn't been seen on the show until now? and do you think they might explore this in season 4?

post-17970-0-93571900-1375635740_thumb.png

Just curious what everyone else's thoughts are? Or if you think it even matters?

It does seem a bit odd, now that you point it out, but I think he might be a type of messager dragon specifically meant not to have wings. He may be meant only to have his message sending fire breath, and adequite writing skills. He may be some breed created by Celestia just for the purpose of contact with her students.

There is few we, or the ponies know of the dragon kind, all that I and others could write here are no more than theories but there are some peculiar hints the show gives about dragons. It would look like they are almost opposed to what the pony kind is. For example in terms of looks, when ponies are quite similar to each other depending of manes and cutie marks to distinct each from another, dragons are drastically physically  different from from one to the next, showing a plethora of body structures, proportions and capabilities.

Some of them have a particular look, others have 8 legs, others have humongous tails with extendable violent spikes and others like Spike have no wings. This could be of 2 reasons.

• He has no wings... thats it the end
  • He will get them as he grow up. Thing that doesn't seems possible because we have seen "two grown up Spikes" that had no wings. Yet the growth there was provoked by "magical" sources and we could have the hope that his "regular" growth cycle will give him wings.

Thats my statement on this topic.

• Brohoof 1

I never thought about that before, mainly because I never noticed. Well, I personally think Spike is just another species of dragon. It makes the most sense to me.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... It could actually be a side effect of the way he was hatched, which was by Twilights magic rather then a natural hatching.

So it could be that he was born premature or the magic took away his wings while he was in the egg

Edited by PonyEcho

My headcanon is that dragons in FiM get their wings by natural aging. Not when it's forced by magic or greed-growth.

And...

Maybe this is a thing the writers deliberately didn't show yet because it will happen in a future episode. I mean, who knows?

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 1

Earth dragon, maybe? Not all dragons have to have wings, so he could be some breed of earth dragon. Or maybe he's actually a dragon where the wings are in his forearms instead of on his back, and they have yet to grow into wings.

I for one think he's just to damn good for wings.. no just joking ah maybe its because some dragons don't have wings and he's just one of the unlucky few, because even as adult he didn't have wings. which is still odd at first I was thinking maybe because he's still a baby I think back to that episode of his birthday and him becoming a adult so. Ah like I said maybe he's just one of the unlucky ones

because he is related to scootaloo

mlfw2329-Yo_dawg_guy_ponified.jpg

nah, that was mean :)

i think thats because the producers wanted spike to be important but still kinda secondary character

with winged spike, mane6 would not have to rely on RD and FS so much

but still i think that was hilarious

Maybe Spike isn't a true dragon? Maybe he is the son of the Dragon King, taken by Celestia in order to keep the peace between the two realms. 

Edited by Circadian

Okay, this topic made me totally just adopt a new headcanon, but maybe there's also there's a dragon for every pony race. Earth dragons (like spike) Flying Dragons like those that have the migrations, and dragons that can use magic??(no clue what those would be like). I have no proof, so don't quote me on that...

• Brohoof 1

I think it's just the way the writers made him, he's meant to assist Twily, so he has no need for wings. Which is also why his magical fire breath only sends and receives letters to and from Celestia.

on the other hoof( or claw) In a more scientific way, He may have to grow into them as he's just a baby (1 year old, maybe 2 or 3 by now?) As Spike is the only baby dragon we've seen....like during the episode "Dragon quest" there were no other baby dragons, and even soem of the bigger dragons had small wings, where as some dragons had huge wings. I get there's different species and such. But not one of them had no wings. and even the Red Dragon that helped with Spike's "Initiation" said it was weird that Spike didn't have wings. So maybe he just hasn't grown them yet.

• Brohoof 1

2 Theories

Either his particular type of dragon that doesn't have wings OR He will simply get them at a certain age that he will have to naturally grow into.

I say naturally because both accounts where he got big were because of an outside magical force and a greed growth problem. He grew so fast that the wings didn't get a chance for development.

It's not like Spike needs wings to be cooler anyway. He's awesome the way he is.