Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about the keeping of the portal

FiretailFriesian

I'm not sure if it's another sloppy thing the writers did, but the mirror portal was kept as we all know.

Why wasn't it smashed?  What if someone tries to enter it, Sunset Shimmer sure knows when the portal is open.  Everyone saw Twilight walk into it, what if Flash Sentry, Pinkie Pie, or Sunset Shimmer were to go through it?  What if someone fell through by accident?  
Something like this cannot go unrecorded in the human universe (although the whole "yeah youre a pony princess from another realm is a-ok and 100% believable yeah)

wouldn't scientists or government officials try to get through eventually?
Imagine all the chaos that would happen.

There are so many ways it could go wrong.  
Even on Celestia's side, something so dangerous should be destroyed, and this whole conundrum would have been different.

I don't understand why it couldn't have been smashed after Twilight left the human world to return to Equestria
Im interested in what you think of it

• Brohoof 1

I think something should be done about it too. Now that everyone at Canterlot High knows about it somebody's gonna try to go through it. I really wish Celestia could have better judgement when it comes to this stuff.

I seriously found that hilarious, how all the people at the Canterlot High School seemed totally okay with the fact that Twilight is an alicorn pony princess from another dimension. :P

And then everyone seemed totally fine with the main 6's anthropomorphic transformations. I mean seriously, I lol-ed so hard at the scene towards the end of the movie, where anthropomorphic Rainbow Dash was flying whilst carrying human scootaloo around the dance floor. :P

Honestly, based on the ridiculous lack of shocked or surprised reactions, I don't think any of those humans is gonna even mind nor care about that portal! Because the movie has a funny sense of logic. :P

Realistically, there'd be armies and numerous scientists trying to get their way into the portal and into Equestria. 

The portal really should've been destroyed. But that's alright, because the humans in that movie seemed like they could care less about the dang portal! :P

Edited by Sanderspie
  • Brohoof 1

I think that Celestia should just destroy the portal, since they wouldn't want human counterparts walking around in their world. Destroying the portal could really get rid of a lot of future problems, but the humans didn't care about the portal.

• Brohoof 1

I think that Celestia should just destroy the portal, since they wouldn't want human counterparts walking around in their world. Destroying the portal could really get rid of a lot of future problems, but the humans didn't care about the portal.

Well 30 moons is a LOOOOONG time, so maybe in that time they just presume they will forget?

I guess they also can just move the mirror around to make sure that if someone comes through the portal they know where they are and can keep them in "quarantine" till they have checked them out :)!

Well 30 moons is a LOOOOONG time, so maybe in that time they just presume they will forget?

I guess they also can just move the mirror around to make sure that if someone comes through the portal they know where they are and can keep them in "quarantine" till they have checked them out :)!

You just sunk my opinion battleship! :P Your right about the 30 moons, and how they would forget about the portal. Putting the portal in quarantine could keep the suspicion levels high but keep the ponies away.

I'm not sure if it's another sloppy thing the writers did, but the mirror portal was kept as we all know.

Why wasn't it smashed?  What if someone tries to enter it, Sunset Shimmer sure knows when the portal is open.  Everyone saw Twilight walk into it, what if Flash Sentry, Pinkie Pie, or Sunset Shimmer were to go through it?  What if someone fell through by accident?  

Something like this cannot go unrecorded in the human universe (although the whole "yeah youre a pony princess from another realm is a-ok and 100% believable yeah)

wouldn't scientists or government officials try to get through eventually?

Imagine all the chaos that would happen.

There are so many ways it could go wrong.  

Even on Celestia's side, something so dangerous should be destroyed, and this whole conundrum would have been different.

I don't understand why it couldn't have been smashed after Twilight left the human world to return to Equestria

Im interested in what you think of it

The reason I don't think it was smashed was because of two reasons.

1. It couldn't be smashed because anything would go through during the proper time and a magical object that powerful more than likely has some sort of enchantment or something that it couldn't break.

2. That more than likely the reason why it's being kept around is because for the general protection of Equestria and for one day to be studied.

Now, I haven't thought about that one ,but since the mirror is under lock and key that probably wouldn't happen and anypony intredpid enough to break in or find a way in would probably be more interested in something small and apparently valuable or magical to steal.

Also, if somepony fell in who wasn't supposed to I figure it would be like the old time traveler lesson of never let your past self see your current (future) self and if someone got them out before then it would be alright.

This part is debatable where the writers failed... I mean if someone knew about it they could go through ,but you would have to know. And then the whole part of getting a government official to believe you is another struggle and for someone accidentally finding it I feel like that's such a chance thing it probably wouldn't happen very often and more than likely they would look up see themselves in a strange room and realize you're halfway through a mirror they would crawl backwards and try to erase it from their minds. But I also have another theory. What if the mirror is sort of like a door with a fingerprint lock or something? Where only approved ponies or people can get through? But that opens up another can of worms like why could Sunset Shimmer come back in? Maybe it's something genetic or something where certain ponies or people can travel through the mirror.

And the whole Twilight being an Alicorn princess and it's believeable is where the writers could have done better ,but how could Twilight prove it? I guess with Spike since others could hear him speak ,but I agree on this one.

I love discussions about MLP! I hope to read and participate in more!

I am honestly stunned nobody figured out, but then again, I do have enough knowledge to mindrape most people with what for me is basic knowledge.

The school is a parallel to Equestria, the two keep each other in balance, that is why Celestia wouldn't send the others along, and also didn't destroy the portal. If the others would've gone in, it would most likely give major time/space issues. If the portal would be smashed, it would be like drawing a line through Yin and Yang. Also, Sunset Shimmer's cutie mark is a sun Yin/Yang, and she doesn't have a human counterpart, as the only one (seeing as Twilight has one in another city). Coincidence? I don't think so... Also, she adapted fairly well, and managed to keep anyone from finding out she just appeared some time ago, and "doesn't have parents". Quantum leap rules may have applied to her, because she could actually have to do with more than two worlds. 

Anyways, smashing the portal would entirely disable the balance keeping of the two, since they are no longer connected. It is like having a door that can open sometimes, allowing for occasional connection, and replacing it with a wall, completely disabling it. The lack of balancing would result in the "magical" (actually, it's just psionic energy) connection between the two being thrown out of whack, disabling all forms of magic.

Pegasi wouldn't be able to control weather, fly with those small wings, or walk on clouds. Unicorns wouldn't be able to use their magic. Earth ponies would lose strength and crop growing abilities, ponies wouldn't be able to hold stuff as well anymore (general pony magic), friendships would also become more fragile, the Elements would be disabled, as well as the Crystal Heart and all magical creatures, and most likely the entire Equestrian society would collapse. Earth would survive because they don't have magic anyways, and that lack of magic is what is keeping the balance between the two, and that is the "magical" connection. Really, it is just the other side of the "Yin/Yang." The only way Earth wouldn't survive is if the whack of balance was strong enough to rip time/space apart, leading to complete destruction of both universes, but that seems unlikely.

Celestia should banish the mirror portal to the moon. Every thirty moons the human would would have horrific weather as vast quantities of their atmospheric envelope get's vented into space. After a few cycles, the whole problem of the existence of the human world would be a moot point. 

• Brohoof 1

Now that you mention it, I agree. I like to liken this to the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. The mirror was a magical object that was too dangerous to be left at Hogwarts, so Dumbledore had it moved. The portal should have the same fate: either destroy it or move it to a inconspicuous location where it's out of harm's way. I was expecting said portal to be destroyed or moved, or at least be suggested by Twilight. Given that Twilight is the brains of the group, one would think that she would have thought about the dangers of keeping the portal intact, and the curiosity of the others was bound to get the better of them to where they wanted to experience the human world for themselves. As we have seen, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash are not resistant against temptation.