Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

Don't worry. From my experience, she does get a lot of that! >u< *huggles* Pony chats are more fun when you can say "To hay with logic! I'm a deity!" and pull a balloon out from your mane c:

Then again. I tend to just sit calmly and brush people =u= Calm pony times. 

*is randomly drawing a wolf that almost looks mlp style* yep agreed.

D'aww! :D I love wolves in MLP xD No idea why, but I like dogs in general related to it. They seem like they'd be fun intelligent.

I love animals ALL OF EM!!! deal with it. XD 

I'm fine with Alicorn OCs... just as long as they're not more powerful than the ones that already exist in the show.

You saying I'm a Mary Sue? XD well shes around the same of Cadence if anything nothing huge...

Alicorns are special. We're just fans. We aren't special.

well ocs are just ocs if people want a alicorn oc it is not saying that (we are special because we have a alicorn oc) well it depends why you make it 

partly the reason I created Everleaf is to fill in a few spaces along with me feeling I should actually try out a alicorn oc and poof she's not so bad at all 

it's only a alicorn (oc) nothing more...

I have nothing against Alicon Fan Characters. I feel like few bronies have them anyways, and even if they do, they aren't trying to make an over powered god-like character most of the time. They are just being themselves. :)

My fan character will never be an actual alicorn, I'd prefer if he did have faults and quirks. The closest he'd ever get is if some mechanical wings were attached to his armor, but even then it'd only be used rarely or when absolutely necessary.

I have a few Alicorns in the works but one is

a Druid who lost much of his magic after

a fight and can do only small spells. Just I think

if the over power thing and love of canon but

any OC should be given flaws and depth and

traits to make them stand, and also room

to grow if any thing,  not just Alicorns.

I have two alicorn OCs (and they're male alicorns) & idgaf if people think they suck. Because they're awesome to me. tot haters can deal with it

Alicorn OCs just don't make sense to me.

I don't hate them, but they better have a damn good backstory on HOW THE HELL they became an Alicorn.

My OCs birth backstory:

I was born a Pegasus. That's it. I didn't have to do anything to become a Pegasus.

Alicorn OCs just don't make sense to me.

I don't hate them, but they better have a damn good backstory on HOW THE HELL they became an Alicorn.

My OCs birth backstory:

I was born a Pegasus. That's it. I didn't have to do anything to become a Pegasus.

Why? It's someone's personal character. How does it affect you?

Why? It's someone's personal character. How does it affect you?

Actually, on second thought.

It doesn't have to be really a good backstory.

I just would prefer you to explain why your OC is an Alicorn.

Since Alicorns are not born naturally.

Edited by Emerald Starlight

Hmm, shrug* :) I guess that's okay, but we also don't know alicorns aren't born. Like we don't know about Celestia and Luna yet. Some say born, others say through accomplishment. I guess I just don't care how someone's OC got to be whatever they are... it's their OC so it doesn't affect me?

However if you do mean to ask me that question directly and not generally, in the backstory, yes, my specific characters weren't born that way, it was sort of similar to what ended up happening with Twilight (before Twi became an alicorn in the show) just more messily (magical surge type thing instead of studied practice like her). Funny how Twi ended up an alicorn...I didn't see it coming, I admit ^_^

• Brohoof 1

In the book about the two  sisters it states they were born Alicorns. It's cannon that you can just be born as one :P 

Of course the show doesn't explain this very well. As for other reasons. It's an OC. Treat it like any other >u<  Whether they have a reason or not. I doubt people make OCs just to have an alicorn. Nobody makes an OC of an alicorn "for the hell of it" you get what I'm saying? c:

• Brohoof 1

I remember someone in the furry terrain with an pegacorn OC, who gets flak for it, although he or she had this OC long before mlp fim and before it was "uncool". He or she is obviously not very amused about that.

Shit happens.  :lol:

Edited by Gary S.

*Smashes horn into tree* WHYYYY!!!!

what have bronies got wrong with them? (about from the Mary Sue stuff that they all say) I know some alicorn ocs are bad but that does NOT mean every single alicorn oc is terrible JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE A ALICORN  :angry:

lets face it my oc Everleaf is a alicorn shes got flaws (many to be honest) shes not that powerful (if compared to a alicorn around Cadence I guess

her backstory is fine 

okay and stuff...

so why do some of you bronies hate alicorn ocs? I don't mind if you don't like em, I guess it's fine but why do you pretty much hate every single alicorn oc?

If 1 in 500 OC was a multicolored overpowered godlike super-important Alicorn OC, I would probably not care.  It takes away a characters individuality if you give them every possible trait they could need to succeed.  This is why I respect people who have Unicorn and pegasus OC, and why I REALLY respect Earth Pony OC.  It's just very fun to read about some Earth Pony who uses his/her witts and skills to achieve a goal, versus about some overpowered alicorn wh- *ZAP!*  Problems are solved yay!

It's the Deus-exe-Machina (did I spell that right?) effect that people hate the most.

Edited by John

Same! Except spiders, Sharks,  and wasps.

I've got a inner Fluttershy so I still care for the following I tend to just keep a distance from wasps all they are there for is the food...

with sharks I know they can be quite..well...yeah but I just learn to respect them...

and spiders are awesome...

• 2 weeks later...

That maybe true Nightmare Muffin, but there were some variable in those situations. In Crysalys' case, she had been leaching off of Shining Armor's love for Princess Cadence which I think is incredible since he even snapped at Twilight (Which she deserved for the outburst but you know) his little sister over her. I think normally Crysalys wouldn't have stood a chance.against Celestia. And with Luna it was her own little sister, I don't think she could bring herself to really hurt her. 

But I don't want to deviate away form the topic at hand too much. I myself am trying to come up with a plausible Alicorn OC and with being really new to this world in general (both being a fan and to Equestria) so I wanted to see what opinions were of good character that were ALicorns. But that's not for roleplay purposes because I don't want to be that OP pony that no one wants to RP with. I agree with Comet Tail pretty much 100%. Alicorns, no matter where or when they are, are a BIG deal. They have incredibly powerful magic and are in positions where they have to use their powers responsibly. In RP, whether is Action/Adventure or just Town RP, people don't want to RP with someone that's going to constantly be the OP one to save the day or to be constantly referring to the pony sitting next to them as "Your Highness."

Edited by Bright Bastion

They generally feel unoriginal, really. Especially when they try to be dark and edgy by having a red and black color scheme (no offense). It wasn't cool when they did it with Shadow the Hedgehog, it's still not cool now.

Also because of the fact that it's basically "instant special, just add Alicorn", rather than making your OC actually interesting in their own right with characterization. I understand that not giving Alicorn OCs a chance kind of defeats the purpose, but on the whole, they are generally used as a tool by sub-par writers who want an easy way to make their character stand out, rather than being creative about it.

You don't need to have traits of all three types of pony in order to be unique. Not to toot my own horn, but for example, my OC is a simple unicorn bartender, and I think he's more unique in a more meta-sense because he doesn't go on adventures or anything, he simply provides food, drink, and shelter for adventurer types, so he still experiences what the adventurers experience vicariously, when they trade stories. His customers tell stories of their adventures, and he tells stories of adventurer's past. If he does happen to go on adventures as a part of an RP, he uses his knowledge from the stories he's been told of adventurers in order to overcome obstacles. A bit genre-savvy if you will.

There, a fairly unique OC that isn't an Alicorn. It's entirely possible, it just feels like the people who go straight for the most powerful species and then tries to make them all dark and edgy feels a bit too close to Shadow the Hedgehog and ends up making the OC too full of Narm (that's Bathos, if you don't use TVTropes and your life isn't in tatters).

from what we learn in the Journal of the two Sisters, yes they are.

• Brohoof 2