Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP banned from Polish school for promoting occultism & satanism... WTF?! o_O

SasQ

I hope the creators didn't do that intentionally. But eh still. What the hell is wrong with some people these days. I mean come on.

Hyper-conservatism has been on the rise since maybe the late 90s.

There was controversy over a theory that Pokemon promoted Satanism.

Then a few years later there was ANOTHER theory that Spongebob promoted homosexuality.

If something is popular with today's youth, parents will tear it apart and find something wrong with it, which usually is something that they fabricated themselves.

• Brohoof 2

Oh yes, Poland, the dreadful country I come from. Poland, fanatical priests and people blindly following them. Poland, country unofficially ruled by church. This is a travesty, this is what it is. It seems that they have rich history of banning things that go against the grain, for example "satanic" metal bands. Preposterous. Hey, Poland, it's time to wake up, it's not middle ages anymore!

• Brohoof 5

When I first read about, I couldn't help but think it was some sort of joke. Yes, MLP contains magic, and there are some occult references, but overall it doesn't support any sort of "evil", unless friendship, kindness, honesty, and a bunch of other virtues were declared evil and I just missed the memo. The people who come up with this...nonsense only serve to give Catholicism a bad name. Secondly, even if MLP promotes Pagan rituals and occultism, so what? Is it a crime to follow a non-abrahamic path (in some countries, yes, sadly). If these people are opposed to anything that might be occult, all I can say is have fun trying to celebrate any of your major holidays, odds are they come from or are at the same time as a Pagan holiday.

• Brohoof 2

Oh No, a wild hater appeared. Kill it with fire before it lays eggs!!!

But in all seriousness. This is just BS. The show is for little kids, and takes no realism to the outside world. Why should it be banned for something that its not?

>implying satanism, occultism, and vampirism is on a little girl's show

God, sometimes, Poland takes it too damn far, but this crosses the line.

Satanism? wat

Occultism? Are you f[censored 4 teh lelz] kidding me?

Vampirism?

I'm on my way to the hospital, facepalmed too hard.

• Brohoof 1

My mom actually almost forbade me to watch MLP a couple weeks ago because she found out about Nightmare Moon spreading "Eternal Night" She thought that referred to Satan spreading eternal darkness and shadows and got mad at me for not telling her about it sooner. She believes that magic is part of Satanism and Occultism and isn't too fond of Twilight Sparkle :( 

But I showed her the Brony Chronicles and showed her the good aspects of the show and why it influences so many people. She was also puzzled as to why MEN especially grown ups could like such a show. Well after I showed her that video I pretty much covered her mouth  :comeatus:  It explains why so many people like the show so she had no backup. I explained to her that the "eternal night" thing doesn't have anything to do with demons, it just means literally there will simply be night and no day, nothing more.

I did find out about that Hello Kitty thing and that's the reason I'm forbidden to use anything that has Hello Kitty on it. But I pretty much saved my butt when it comes to MLP. I'm still happily watching the show but I'm definitely NOT gonna watch episodes like Luna Eclipsed and The Crystal Empire in my mom's presence, just in case ;)

• Brohoof 6

I may be Christian, but COME ON! If they're going to ban it, they need a good reason. Just "it promotes sadism" doesn't cut it! Seriously, I just want to slap these people across the face!

Edited by super2379

So anyway on topic, my mom pretty much exaggerated just like the people at this school did. They're little kids, they're not gonna start practicing magic or worshipping Satan just from watching MLP. They're just gonna watch it and enjoy it, so they need to stop exaggerating so much. Nothing in the show so far has led me to believe it's evil in any way, good always prevails and it teaches children important life lessons. Nothing to get defensive about, parents and teachers :angry:

• Brohoof 2

Oh no they're on to me! I have been secretly worshiping a shrine of blood soaked Hello Kitty plushies in my basement. Now I have to go clean up the orphan meat and wipe the upside-down pentagrams off of my walls before I get a referral!

As others have said, some of the really hardcore fundamentalist branches of the church consider the mere presence of magic or supernatural forces not explicitly stated as being the direct work of God to be evil. 

I'd love to say it's a fringe thing, but even the writer of Tales of the Questor spent several pages of supplemental material skirting around the issue of "lux" essentially being mana and it's usage being spell-casting by explaining away that it wasn't magic because it was a naturally occurring force of nature and no different than harnessing electricity to get out of using magic in his work.

Let's not even get into how some of them don't even know their symbolism. Like the fact an upside down cross is actually a christian symbol based on the fact St Peter was said to have been crucified upside down on request because he didn't feel worthy to die the same way as Jesus, so it essentially means "I am not worthy" and is a symbol of humility.

Also, a right side up Pentagram is a protective symbol and has even been used by some Christian groups as such by representing the five wounds of Christ.  

As a whole(and as someone who's somewhat Christian) I think the whole thing is stupid. I personally love studying the paranormal and such because seeing some kind of proof of what's beyond what we can see strengthens my faith.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

Well, although I couldn't find any Satanic symbolism in MLP:FiM, there actually are many references to occult knowledge, which I described thoroughly in my post about symbolism in MLP:FiM. But before panicking, one needs to understand what does this word "occult" mean: it just means "hidden from sight", from Latin "occultus". That is, the knowledge that has been hidden from some reason. This doesn't have to do anything with praising the devil or other weird things. There is a lot of true scientific knowledge which is hidden because it's not what the mainstream agrees upon. There's also knowledge which can be harmful for those who don't know how to handle with it with enough care. Putting it to the same bag with Satanism etc. is pure manipulation and misguiding.

I think they have a huge problem with the hexagram, aka Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark.  Hexagrams, hexes, hmm...yeah, I guess some people would be creeped out by that. 

As others have said, some of the really hardcore fundamentalist branches of the church consider the mere presence of magic or supernatural forces not explicitly stated as being the direct work of God to be evil.

Better bible readers than myself should be able to elaborate on this, but I've also been told the Bible says that anything of a truly supernatural nature happening in post biblical times can only be a satanic work. 

But the basic point is that MLP:FiM, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc. are all works of fiction.  One of the first things children are taught is to distinguish reality from make believe.  J K Rowling herself once challenged her detractors to find somebody who became a wizard because of her books.  Last I knew she was still waiting. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 3

I think they have a huge problem with the hexagram, aka Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark.  Hexagrams, hexes, hmm...yeah, I guess some people would be creeped out by that. 

Better bible readers than myself should be able to elaborate on this, but I've also been told the Bible says that anything of a truly supernatural nature happening in post biblical times can only be a satanic work. 

But the basic point is that MLP:FiM, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc. are all works of fiction.  One of the first things children are taught is to distinguish reality from make believe.  J K Rowling herself once challenged her detractors to find somebody who became a wizard because of her books.  Last I knew she was still waiting. 

I've said before that I wouldn't take the bible at face value. When you take possible translation errors(remember, the way they spoke the langauge back then, may be differnt then the way modern speakers know it) and all the conflicting Christian writings into account you really can't take it as any kind word of law. It's something to reflect on and take in broad strokes.  

But that's just my opinion, like I've said before I'm far from a fundamentalist and most churches would probably consider a lot of my views on religion and things pretty out there.  

On Harry Potter, it's worth noting this JK is pretty devout(I forget what branch of the church though), so demonizing her is as absurd as it comes.  

Edited by Shoboni

159240-implied_facehoofMotivatorrarity.j

I guess this more or less sums up my views on this. But still, to make things clear:

I'm a Pole, and I couldn't care less about a crazy idea of a single possessed priest and the poor, superstitious school staff. They very fact that it gets mentioned in internet media proves that the idea is simply ridiculous. Let's face it, who'd normally care about a single school somewhere in one of random cities? Nobody. Unless something completely unpredictable and insanely dumb happened. And it happened, ergo it got mentioned. To entertain us by showing stupidity of some people.

I'd also want to add after reading all these posts, in answer to 'Poland doing this', 'Poland being that': Stop generalizing the country on the basis of individual's deeds. I for once am proud to be a Pole. You'll find cases like this (though probably concerning different issues) in basically every. Single. Country. So I don't know what's all the hassle about. It's just a trivia of individual's lack of brain cells and surrealistic approach to life, not a general rule of Poland.

And a little plea to all other polish representatives here: Remember, it is US who build Poland's image across the world, whether it be in real life, games, internet or anywhere else. Think before bashing your own country (and your behavior in general) in front of the others, because complaining is easy and everybody can do it, but it's so much harder to fix the damage (we DO know foreign languages, we do NOT friggin' steal cars [least no more than the others] and... unfortunately we do like to complain. Still. This thread proves it partially). For once I'd like to hear an honest opinion in which somebody from across the border presents me a positive image of my country, instead of pointing out everything he had 'heard' about it from us, Poles. This is just sad.

Mark down: I am not accusing anyone for bashing own country right now, I am just giving out a word of warning.

• Brohoof 2

Here's what I wrote as a commentary under the aforementioned article:

---------------------

I took a liberty of forwarding this article to my good friend, Twilight Sparkle. Although I hadn't any Spike in handy, I just rewrote it with my quill and ink on a parchment and burned it ;) After a while, just before my nose, something flashed and from a strange green smoke a scroll of parchment dropped out. Here's what I found there written:

You, Humans, could learn so much about the Magic of Friendship and Harmony from these cartoons, which has been made about us. I used to be once a cynical nerd indulged in books, who didn't care much about making friends; I considered it non-essential. Thanks to Princess Celestia that she knew what is much more important in young pony's life than books, and that she had sent me to Ponyville, where I had an opportunity to meet my friends I was connected with way before I've ever meet them. If not their kindness, laughter, generosity, honesty and loyalty -- the very features which you, Humans, are so much lacking these days -- I'd never be able to face the challenges I was going to face (it's not often you realize that there's a menace of everlasting night hanging above the whole world). If not my beloved friends, I wouldn't be able to find the Elements of Harmony, which -- as it turned out -- we managed to find only because we represent their virtues ourselves, so we could restore them when Nightmare Moon had broken them, and use them to beat the evil forces. What do you think? Why in your chaotic and grim world no one has yet managed to find the Elements of Harmony? Do you really believe that this could be possible only in our world? You can learn from us; I believe that you can find them too and beat the evil powers which rule your world at present and lie to you on a daily basis to stop you from discovering the Magic of Friendship and being able to beat them.

A priest, which described our world in such a shallow and gross way, clearly doesn't have a clue about it, since he has never spent a single day in Equestria! Praising the Satan? I don't even know who's that guy! I assure you that in all of Equestria no pony had ever heard about him. Sure, one can always say that "he" acts from shadow, by manipulating, tempting, that he's the master of evil etc. (I've seen similar *apple* being told to people in your world). Well... I cannot deny that there is evil in our world too. But if that priest paid more attention to the details (or at least tried to watch the show), he would see that we don't let the evil to run over our heads: we show the evil where it belongs and we fight it from our whole little pony hearts.

Thanks to the Magic of Friendship we managed to beat the Nightmare Moon -- an evil demon which possessed Princess Luna, Princess Celestia's poor little sister. We also managed to beat Discord -- a powerful spirit of Chaos. And even the dark King Sombra which ruled the Crystal Empire, holding so many Crystal Ponies in slavery. Are you gonna tell me that this is soliciting evil? Or maybe it's rather the contrary?

Heck, we clearly show you with all our actions how to FIGHT evil! What's more, in a way to not cause more evil in result! (which is often the case in your world; you tend to fight evil with even more evil, and I tell you, this won't work; all you'll get is more evil). When we have beaten the Nightmare Moon, Princess Loona went out unharmed from that. All that time I believed that deep down in her heart, Luna is a good pony, just a little bit misguided, and now Luna is my close friend. Or when we have beaten Discord, which has been manipulating us and changing our characters to their very opposite by exploiting our weaknesses -- yes, OUR weaknesses, because it was OUR fault to believe him and fall to him -- we could beat him only after we recalled how strong is our friendship and that this bond cannot be broken even by the lord of Chaos. But even then we didn't vanquish him, but turned him into stone, because we believed that perhaps someday he will understand his faults and he can change for good. I don't want to spoil you the fun, since you might haven't seen the Season 3 yet, but I can tell you that evil doesn't come out of nowhere. There's always some reason behind it, and blaming its causes to someone else (like Satan, for example) is just plain childish and irresponsible.

If you pay closer attention to the symbolism and mythology of our world, you will see that Harmony is all about balancing the opposites. In each of us there's bright side and dark side as well, and it is us who can choose which one of them we indulge. Dark characters we fought with, were once good too. They have chosen the wrong turn at some moment of their lives, from their own choice, which surely could have been restricted by their blindness, but this is not much an excuse, since they knew what they were doing. But so as you can choose the wrong way, same you can choose the good way. If one could turn bad, one can turn good too. And that's what we teach our viewers.

Disagreement with the Catholic Doctrine? I admit, I don't know what the Catholic Doctrine is, who's that God or Satan so many people talk about in your world. I haven't found anything on it in our library in Ponyville, nor in Canterlot, nor evein in the voluminous archives of the Crystal Empire. But when I read comments of many people on that subject, I'm getting a picture that these are the main causes of your problems. Since if they were really good, they wouldn't encourage to hatred, fighting, they wouldn't forbid anything, they wouldn't tell people what to think, like, feel, or what movies they can watch and who they can make friends with.

There were some people telling me that your God is a god of love, forgiveness, good etc. If so, then those are really positive features, and they're very in line with our Magic of Friendship. Maybe your God does know something about it too, and he wanted to teach you some about it anyway? Apparently someone had strongly perverted the image of Him and distorted everything, if that faith could lead to religious wars, fighting at Internet forums, prohibitions in schools, or depriving students and their parents of their free will.

Here in Equestria such thing would not pass, because here we believe that everypony is exceptional and he's got his special talent, symbolized by his cutie mark. Everypony can discover this special talent only on his/her own, nopony can help him or tell him what to do. From his/her earliest days, everypony learns how to think freely and independently, and how to be responsible for his/her decisions, and thanks to that everypony is happy and can fulfill oneself. Now look what your educational system does in your world: It forbids independent thinking and deciding, it strangles your special talents and it is producing an army of mindless drones, all similar and washed out of any hopes, dreams, creativity or positive emotions. Look at the ruin you've made of your world with such proceedings. Is that what your God wanted when he was creating it? In one of your religious books I've read that the Earth was a paradise once, with humans and animals living in Harmony. Maybe it's the just time to return to this paradise? Maybe our Equestria is not perfect in that matter, but we all live in peace and calm for sure at the very least, far from the noise you have on your Earth. If it wouldn't be the case, there wouldn't be so many people escaping from this turmoil to watching cartoons about our adventures in Equestria. Apparently their longing for paradise lost is manifesting that way. So to all who do it I have a message: cheer up! If we could bring Harmony to our world, you can do it too. You just need to feel the Magic of Friendship inside you and start to spread it all around you.

Occult? I wonder how many of you actually know what this word really means. Take a peek into your books some time, as I do. There's a lot of precious stuff you can learn from them. The word "occultus" is from Latin and it means "hidden from sight, not easily visible". The occult knowledge is simply a knowledge someone has hidden from you from some reason. A knowledge which may be dangerous sometimes, especially for one who isn't prepared to deal with it carefully or didn't grow up to it yet (like playing with electricity when you don't know how to use it safely). In our world there are books which are hidden (occult) too. One of these books Princess Luna has been hiding from me for a long time. And it was good, because the spells contained in it are very powerful and somepony could be harmed when using it carelessly. But when the time has come and I was ready for that, Luna gave me that book. When did it happen? When she was sure that I know about Magic of Friendship enough to not do any harm to myself or other ponies when using this powerful knowledge. It was something what Starswirl the Bearded -- the conjurer who was trying to use it before me -- was missing in his studies.

There is a lot of hidden knowledge in your world, too. But it is hidden from very different reasons: power and control. The knowledge contained in these books could open your eyes too wide for the Harmony of the Universe and the Nature surrounding you -- the one you devastate and pollute with so much passion at present. The knowledge, which could break the chains from your strange five-fingered hands and set you free. And this is what your rulers (also religious ones) don't want to happen.

On the other hand, the knowledge which should be hidden, is being openly promoted in your world. A knowledge about how to hate, kill, cause pain, insult, lie, manipulate... You can find about it just by turning on one of those blinking boxes displaying pictures. Your technology is devastating your entire planet, your bodies, and your minds. And you're afraid of occultism? People! All the worst demons you've had already summoned! They're currently dancing on your world, laughing at you straight in your eyes! So maybe now it's time to take a look into these forbidden occult books of ancient knowledge about Magic and Harmony which they forbid, and see how you can restore the Harmony in your world and fight the evil once and for all?

That's what I wish for you sincerely.

-- Twilight Sparkle

img-1849978-1-twilight_reading___season_

P.S.: A Unicorn a symbol of the New Age movement? Gee, I didn't know I'm a symbol of any movement o_O In the books I've read it rather says that the symbol of the New Age movement was Aquarius (the Zodiac sign). But what can I know...

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 9

I kinda see where they got the satanism part. They must've spotted the Swastika in the maze in Season 2 Ep. 1. (pictured below)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Other than that, they are freakin' retards!

I hope the creators didn't do that intentionally. But eh still. What the hell is wrong with some people these days. I mean come on.

To be fair, that is a maze, and it figures that a maze with all sorts of twisting passages might just happen to have a swastika like mark in it. And as people have pointed out in another topic that has that picture, that's technically not a swastika, since it's not turned on it's side by forty five degrees.

Regardless, everything I would say about the actual topic has been said. I think it's just yet another example of people wanting to control and morph people and suck the fun out of things. Makes me sick, as usual.

• Brohoof 2

See, I dont know what bothers me more; How stupid this school district and some people can be, or the fact that people will take this as reason to bash anything religious whatsoever. 

But still, the fact that crap like this happens is the funniest thing ever XD

• Brohoof 1

It just goes to show you there are morons everywhere, there are so many more important things to focus on but apparently religious witch hunts are trendy in Poland and a few other parts of the world. 

• Brohoof 1

LOL seriously? Well, Poland is really Catholic from what I hear... But still, banning MLP and Hello Kitty for being "Satanic" is pretty stupid. Just another example why we should keep religion out of school.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." - Thomas Jefferson.

• Brohoof 1

Man, people can be really stupid. It's a show for little girls, I don't think that there's going to be anything satanic about it. Also, they really shouldn't try to put religion into public schools. (Probably never going to stop, though.)

the characters of "Hello Kitty" has been created by Ikaha Shimizu as a thanksgiving to Satan for the supposed help in healing his 14-years-old daughter from cancer

Wait, what?

• Brohoof 1

Well, honestly if they want sybolsim for "Occultism and "Satanism" then sure, just do a little something called OVER ANALYZING THE CRAP OUT OF A CHILDRENS CARTOON.

I'm sure you'll find plenty in any of them.

Heck in any TV for that matter.

Why don't they just ban it all >_>. If this is their logic.

Honestly you can make up crazy theories about anything by tieing up very loose ends, combined with people who are ignorant to the subject.

Its like this thing we read in English, which was a paper involving all these cleansing rituals of the mouth using magic powders and the such, and magic men who preform rituals on the mouth for children.

guess what this was actually about? 

Brushing your teeth.

now last time i checked, i don't see Demons or evil spirits in my tooth paste, so yeah. 

Moral of the story is, over analyze everything and it will can seem crazy.

Toss in some ignorance, and people will believe it.

• Brohoof 3

This is fucking adorable.

Soon, so soon, MLP will take the world into the darkness of the occult and force everyone to worship Satan. Since the occult totally is all about Satan and nothing else.

It's also not like the majority of occultists are and where heavily influenced by Christianity.

• Brohoof 3

Wow thats really stupid. The show is for little kids what the hell will satanism & occultism persuade in a childrens show? I mean how could these innocent creatures have anything to do with it! 

cute_fluttershy_vector_by_termi92-d4rlk2

Edited by Night Sky
  • Brohoof 1

Wow thats really stupid. The show is for little kids what the hell will satanism & occultism persuade in a childrens show? I mean how could these innocent creatures have anything to do with it! 

cute_fluttershy_vector_by_termi92-d4rlk2

Oh come on, Night Sky, do you not see that pair of devil horns that Fluttershy is clearly trying her hardest to hide under that mane of hers?

• Brohoof 2