Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has your life been ruined or enhanced by TvTropes?

Grtxkkyz

Yup,as the title says,that is my question.Many of us have visited this site a lot and i was wondering,has it ruined or improved your life? I think it has done both to me.I still enjoy movies,series and games,yet not as much as before.Whenever something "tropey" appears,it makes me wanna scream out loud said trope's name.On the other hand,whenever i finish watching any program or playing a game,i can't resist going to TvTropes to check its page.I am totally addicted to that site and check it frequently.Plus,i now speak fluent "Tropese".In a few words,i am a complete troper.How about you?

I love it, it's an excellent resource for writers. Whenever I come up with an idea I'll identify the tropes I'm using and then scour the site to find out whether or not it has been done before. Sure, it doesn't list every work in existence but it's still thorough enough to be useful. So I say yay.

• Brohoof 4

TV Tropes has ruined my life.

I was just a little girl in a small village in France. My father was a cucumber farmer, and my mother was a librarian. Life was good, peaceful. I would spend many days out in the fields picking flowers for my parent, I would make little crowns that I'd tie together with grass.

However, one day I heard screaming and ran back to see that TV tropes was attacking my village. It was destroying and killing everything it could. I ran, but I left everything I knew and loved behind. This led me to become an alcoholic and I ended up homeless. I had no parents to help me financially so I ended up not being able to afford schooling and I spent the rest of my life as an illiterate homeless alcoholic.

That is why TV Tropes is evil. I have vowed that one day I would fight TV Tropes one on one and avenge all that I had lost to it's endless tyranny of pain and suffering.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 11

It hasn't had much of an effect on my life really. It's a nice little tool to look up certain tropes and what a favorite movie, tv show, game, whatever has as tropes. I don't visit it that often, though. 

>Interesting Story<

And Harmonic still remains extremely creative and interesting. .-.

Edited by WheatleyCore

I'm going with ruined. Tabbed browsing on TvTropes is downright dangerous.

Hours of productivity lost to the constant cycle of clicking, and clicking, change tab and more clicking... I don't speak in tropes, but I can get lost on that site for ages just reading examples of different tropes and clicking links to related content.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, I wouldn't have become a brony or ever joined this site if not for TV Tropes making the series sound pretty cool. I'd say that in addition to that, it's provided hours of nerdy entertainment and thought-provoking pages, so I'm very glad that I found out about it and decided to frequent it a while back.

• Brohoof 1

Both, but more than likely sliding closer to ruined. It certainly ruined my vocabulary that's for sure, as I am now fluent in speaking in tropes, not to mention that I've become too genre savvy (see what I mean!) for my own good, to the point I've correctly guessed the outcome of a story after just a few minutes. Plus all the wasted hours trapped within its labyrinth corridors of links after links after links.... 

Pretty much this^^^^, except replace "cigarettes" with "TvTropes" and there you go. All in favor of fining TvTropes infinite billion dollars say "aye." 

Seriously though no it hasn't, yes I get that certain "tropes" are overused or used poorly but even the best shows and movies have them so there really is no point in focusing so much time and energy on them.

Never heard of the place until now. Might give it a look later though. I seriously doubt this will enhance or ruin my life. It's just a website after all. I don't have to take anything seriously on it.