Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Double Standards

VanellopeSofia

So I have this friend and he usually drives me home from our school. He knows I'm a brony not supportive, more indifferent. Today was dress down day and we got to wear anything we wanted so I wore my Twilight Sparkle shirt (super pink and girlyish). I went to school and at the end of the day I texted him asking where he went, he preceded to tell me he wouldn't drive me home if I was in that shirt. That I need to be thought a lesson about what I can and cannot wear in public

I'm pretty mad that's he's being so shallow, do you think he's right?

• Brohoof 5

I don't think he's right. It's just that to him bronies are weird and can ruin a reputation he might be holding onto. I think it'd be best if you don't where the shirt around him. Love n' tolerate n' stuff.

Are you in America because if so then you have your freedom of speech and that would be a violation against your rights :P Point and done like this just say somethings to show that you are just wearing a TV shirt of your favorite tv show and that it is like any other tv ahow. Explain to him ^^

A person that talks like that probably wouldn't be my friend for very long. I believe that every individual has the right to wear whatever they want, whenever they want. I oppose censorship. So I would disagree with that person's assertion. Double standards are born out of ignorance or hatred.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it was right of him to do that, you wear whatever you want. It's none of his business to dictate your dress code. I'd drive my friends home no matter what they're wearing!... Well... as long they aren't wearing something downright mean and offensive on their shirt, but that isn't the kind of thing they would wear anyway.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 2

It's pretty pathetic that he's doing that to you just because of the tv show you watch, all because you "need to be taught a lesson". Sounds like he's someone who doesn't really care to be friends with you.

You should wear a shirt over the shirt and then whip if off at the crucial, worst possible moment. hehe.

Its a tricky thing, if he doesn't want to be labelled as a brony for what ever reason that is his right, just as yours is to wear the shirt. Being friends is about compromise, give and take and whatnot.

Maybe you should have got into his car topless, sure anyone looking wouldn't have minded that at all. :P

• Brohoof 2

Well at this point I'm holding onto my opinion with my basically dead hands, he's telling me I need to grow up and be normal if I want to have the respect of others, I don't think I'm going to be talking to him again

Are you in America because if so then you have your freedom of speech and that would be a violation against your rights tongue.png Point and done like this just say somethings to show that you are just wearing a TV shirt of your favorite tv show and that it is like any other tv ahow. Explain to him ^^

Um no it's not LOL.  his friend doesn't have a duty to take him any where lol.

Rights has nothing to do with it LOL.

That would be a "Civil " case if that.

which it's not cause there's no breach of duty.

A person that talks like that probably wouldn't be my friend for very long. I believe that every individual has the right to wear whatever they want, whenever they want. I oppose censorship. So I would disagree with that person's assertion. Double standards are born out of ignorance or hatred.

See I never agreed with the whole "Ignorance and hatred" BFF's.

it implies you can't hate people as a whole with out being a dumb ass.

And that's Politically correct clap trap. 

Oh and by the way I bet you feel like I shouldn't have the right to say this ^ ~.

I think you could totally come to a well thought out decision to hate someone.

And to say other wise is propaganda at it's finest.

Well at this point I'm holding onto my opinion with my basically dead hands, he's telling me I need to grow up and be normal if I want to have the respect of others, I don't think I'm going to be talking to him again

There is no such thing as "normal". if someone from 20-30 years ago came forwards he'd think all of humanity can gone crazy.

A world where everything is the same would be soul-destroying boring, everyone has a little quick in them that makes them different, some just show it better than others which makes those afraid to do so uneasy hence why they tell others to be "normal". Normal of today is different from what it was a year ago or 10 years go and the same is true of the future.

Maybe its best you don't speak to this guy. If he wants to be your friend, he'll come to you.

Edited by Greenfield

B,S,

No such thing means you already lost.

So would i say on high average most people would consider murder to be Abnormal behavior?  Yes there are extreme cases like war, self defense but even than it's out of the ordinary.

I think people trying to say "define normal.,there's no such thing."
Are clearly trying to push something. 

There are high average accepted practices.  They exist.  tell me they don't.  If you can't retract your statement.

There is no such thing as "normal". if someone from 20-30 years ago came forwards he'd think all of humanity can gone crazy.

A world where everything is the same would be soul-destroying boring, everyone has a little quick in them that makes them different, some just show it better than others which makes those afraid to do so uneasy hence why they tell others to be "normal". Normal of today is different from what it was a year ago or 10 years go and the same is true of the future.

Maybe its best you don't speak to this guy. If he wants to be your friend, he'll come to you.

B,S,

So would i say on high average most people would consider murder to be Abnormal behavior?  Yes there are extreme cases like war, self defense but even than it's out of the ordinary.

There are high average accepted practices.  They exist.  tell me they don't.  If you can't retract your statement.

Not trying to justify murder xD. Yeah, I kinda ment it in that sense. What two people consider normal could be completely different so it doesn't actually exist,

It doesn't sound right when a friend does that to you, because of what you wear or what you watch. It isn't really ''teaching you a lesson'', it's more of the lines of your friend being insecure.

• Brohoof 1

I hate the term "normal", because it is so relative and arbitrary. The fact that this friend said that really screams insecurity to me I seriously think he was more worried that other people would make fun of him for being associated with you than about your well being. When the friend who introduced me to ponies first told me he was into the show I will admit I had a WTF moment but didn't think any differently of him and would not have cared if he had decided to wear an MLP shirt if we went somewhere in public.

Well it's his car so he certainly has the right to do that. He doesn't sound like much of a friend though. Ditch him. Find someone else to drive with. Or take the bus. Or get your own drivers license. Or get some fresh air and walk. tongue.png

There's lot's of ways to get around driving home with him. But if he doesn't respect you, you don't need to respect him. And if you have to, just stick up for yourself.

• Brohoof 1

Let me say this much: A person like this wouldn't be my friend for too long. I only accept people who can accept others for what they like. It's part of the reason I'm so open with all my interests. I'm not gonna befriend you unless I can go around wearing a freaking skirt with you. If you tell me I can't be open with my interests, you're a terrible friend in my eyes.

I don't think you should stop being friends with that person, but I think they need a mouthful about their poor choice and sheer rudeness toward your actions. That's what I'd do, anyhow.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't sound right when a friend does that to you, because of what you wear or what you watch. It isn't really ''teaching you a lesson'', it's more of the lines of your friend being insecure.

Bingo. He doesn't want to be seen driving around a guy with a pink pony shirt. Considering that the rest of the world doesn't care what kind of person he drives home or what kind of shirt that person wears, I would say he was overreacting to his own embarrassment.

But why do people get embarrassed? Because they feel humiliated... their pride goes kaput for a short while.

This guy did not like that. Instead of sucking it up and bearing with the humiliation for five minutes, he decided to reject the OP and act like an asshole to him.

If he wanted to have the OP not wear that shirt around him again, he could have talked about it in the car. Then the brony can say, "OK, I respect your feelings and I will not wear this shirt around you." Whoever said that friendship involves compromise is correct. We can't have it our way all the time. Otherwise we would have our way and no friends. And surprisingly enough, most of us don't prefer that.

• Brohoof 2

B,S,

Making the giant leap from fashion conformity to laws against murder is an epic non sequitur.  If you think they're the same, what prison sentence do you think somebody should receive for wearing a pink pony shirt?  If you realize they're not the same, then maybe you shouldn't try to equate "there's no such thing as normal" stated in a context of talking about clothes to be worn on a special "dress-down day" at school with saying it's OK to kill people and hoist their heads on pikes in your front yard. 

Making the giant leap from fashion conformity to laws against murder is an epic non sequitur. If you think they're the same, what prison sentence do you think somebody should receive for wearing a pink pony shirt? If you realize they're not the same, then maybe you shouldn't try to equate "there's no such thing as normal" stated in a context of talking about clothes to be worn on a special "dress-down day" at school with saying it's OK to kill people and hoist their heads on pikes in your front yard.

There may be no such thing as normal, but there certainly are norms, and some laws are based on those norms. The argument is not as much non sequitur as it is a slippery slope. Just because the OP violated a one social norm does not support the argument that other social norms will fall apart.

More to the point, how is this a double standard. A double standard would imply something like he wears MLP shirts, but doesn't want to be around you when you wear one. Honestly, he just sounds like a dick.

post-8423-0-71808200-1380914159.jpg

Mix some sand in with the bastards engine oil heh, that'll teach him.

But seriously, if someone did that to me I would feel like I'd be better off without them. How many people are going to see your shirt when your sitting inside a car anyway? I'd be surprised if a single person noticed.

i know this is a tough thing to go through although my advice would be to consider if he is really your friend or not, real friends respect eachother and if he was a true true friend he would'nt care what you were wearing, I mean really.... having friends that doesnt want to hang around with you just because you're wearing something out of the ordinary is not a good friend. I hope you wont regret the decision that you make even if its a tough one.

Honestly if your friend is acting that way over a simple shirt I think he should get his friendship levels checked its pretty stupid that he refused to drive you because of a shirt and besides Twilight a great pony!

Your friend sounds like an asshole...to put it blunty. Just because you're wearing a pink and girly pony shirt doesn't mean you need to be taught a lesson about anything. If he seriously makes such a big deal about it, then he isn't a good friend. He's not right in the slightest. It's your life, you're allowed picking what shirts you want to wear in public.

Oh such a great friend you got there..... Honestly a true friend would be with you through thick and thin and not just abandon you for liking something that they do not. In my opinion he is not a good friend, and has no right to tell you what you can and cannot wear or like. If one of my friends did this to me they would be my friend for much longer, though I would respect their opinion. I would not want to be around someone who is just going to be plain out rude and negative.

Edited by Xelphos